Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    What year is your car? Mr_Shiftright has replied to you here.
  • 1993 i think
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Okay. Next time just post in the Maintenance and Repair discussion that covers that year. Note too that it's only necessary to ask your question in one place. The Accord followers tend to read all the Accord discussions, so your post will definitely be seen.

Welcome - hope we can help!
  • I have a 1994 Honda the charging system is not working. We have been through 3 altenators and 2 batteries. Just changed the dash cluster and still nothing. Can you help me?
  • I have a 4 cylinder 4 door accord dx value package. Does anyone have a good picture or a good description of how to access the thermostat. My heat does not get very hot (it gets a little warm) but not warm enough to counter 15 degree weather so I am pretty certain I need to replace or fix my thermostat, but I cant figure out how to access it. Is it accessible from the top of the car or do I need to go under neath.

Thanks
  • Have you checked your coolant (antifreeze) levels?
  • Yes, I had this problem both before and after getting a new radiator installed. I didnt even think about it when I got my radiator replaced bc it wasnt too cold yet so I didnt notice it.
  • omarromarr Posts: 88
    Yes the thermostat could be stuck. Probably not the problem. To find it. follow the hose coming off of the upper radiator to the engine, where it stops that is the thermostat housing. The thermostat is inside the housing. You have to go inside there to remove it.

Most likely you need to bleed the air out of the coolant system.
    Look for a bleed plug near or in the thermostat housing.
    It is also possible to loosen the hose going to the heater to bleed the air.
    Make sure the water valve in the hose going to the heater is open.
    When the arm on the valve is inline with the hose the valve is open.
    When the arm is 90 degree to the hose the valve is closed.
    The operating linkage fails at times.

If you have air trapped in the system the water most likely will not go through the heater.

Been there done that ;)
  • sib1sib1 Posts: 5
    what does the air temperture sensor do and if it is broke will that make D4 light
    blink also car started raceing with high rpm will broken air temperture sensor cause this problem
    The D4 light blinking is a trouble code indicator for a transmission fault.
    Similar to the Check Engine light.

The number of blinks is the fault code.

Thi link shows how to check the D4 codes on a Acura, your Honda is probably the same
    http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2luo1-1993-acura-4-dr-auto
    Need to know the number of blinks
    Some one may have info for the Honda.
    What is the transmission doing?

Intake Air Temperature will not cause the D4 blink.

You would have a Check engine light for the IAT sensor

IAT sensor fault in system, poor start, high / low idle, poor mileage, etc
  • sib1sib1 Posts: 5
    speedo does not work sometimes it bounces and sometimes it works for a short
    time what could be the cause of this be.can somebody help
    If the speedometer bounces around 19 / 20 mph the speedometer head is bad.

If your cruise control works (maintains speed) the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is good.
    Don't let anyone tell you it is bad.

Honda calls the complete assembly a COMBINATION METER.

You can find Honda information here.
    http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/ ;)

Been there done that.
  • So recently my car broke down im 19 dont know much about cars in general, i am the second owner of this car, Car ran fine till one day driving on the highway going about 80mph the timing belt snapped, brought it to the repair shop, the mechanic said some valves got bent while the time belt snapped while driving, i get the car fixed and running again, car runs fine, only problem when driving whenever i accelerate my car it makes a loud like whistling sound, like kinda high pitched whistling sound, like air being possibly sucked in to something. if only the timing belt was changed earlier....sigh. maybe someone can help me out with why its making this noise?

heres a list of what got replaced while at the repair shop
    Car has 148,000 miles so far
    *timing belt
    *HeadGasket set
    *sparkplugs
    *Intake Valve
    *Exhaust valve
    *thermostat
    *payed a good 1400 to fix

im planning on driving to La soon, Kinda worried this whistling sound might be an early indication of worse to come lol. dont wanna break down while driving. car drives fine other thatn whistling sounds

-andrew
    Take it back to the person you who did the repair work. They have done something wrong or didn't complete their job. Could be air leak or exhaust leak. Alternator, power steering or air condition belt tension. Over tension of timing belt or bad tension and idler rollers.

:confuse:
  • All - Update. The Problem is finally Solved.

A mix of things was causing the problem.

A: The Ignition Coil was going bad.
    B: The EGR valve was caked with carbon.
    C: The OBDII Unit Needed Replaced.

I can't be sure about the plugs/wires, but they could have been part of the problem too.

I paid for the ignition coil myself $100 before finding out about Honda Service Bulletin 98-081. This warranties a long list of parts and the misfire code is one of those. This extends the warranty up to 150,000 miles or 14 years and since I am at 133,000 now all is well.

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions. It is good to get fresh ideas and more places to look when one is frustrated.
  • Okay, since day one the ABS light has been on, but never caused me any trouble so I didn't do anything about it.

The other day though when I started the car it was idling higher than normal up to 3 rpms & reving up without me pushing on the gas. It's also not changing into gears & in order to change them I have to use the shift lock key.

Saw someone say it might be brake interlock switch, however I don't know & would like expert opinions.

(Also, this might sound stupid but the 'brake light' light has been on since I got the car too & my brake lights work just fine.)
  • need to know why im getting to much fuel supplyed to spark plugs this is a 1995 honda accord 4cylinder fuel injection.
  • I recently noticed that my instrument panel lighting flickered on and off and now it doesn't come on at all. This problem seemed to start when it was raining for several days in a row. It flickered on and off for a while when I would hit the brakes or a bump. ANY IDEAS???
  • jw565jw565 Posts: 1
    94 accord need some help no cruise controlhello guys i'm new to this site i have a 94 accord 2dr 2.2 vtec that i just bought the cruise control will not set the lite comes on at the switch on the dash i'm not sure what check can anybody help
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Just to double check, you're pushing the cruise control button on the dash (by the air vent), then pressing the set-button on the steering wheel, at a speed greater than 25 MPH, right?