Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bugs3bugs3 Posts: 1
    I think 98-02 accords had transmission problems. Mine went out at 50k...it used to shift hard from 2-3 gear. Went to the dealer and they diagnosed it ordered a new tranny and replaced it for free. Honda has given some tranny' ext warranty through 100k since they were aware of the problem
  • Wow, For once i have actually heard people who have had problems with there hondas. I have a 98 accord 2.3L VTEC, with manual trans. Its got 150,000 or so and i have the same problem but it lasts a little longer and really doesnt quite down untill it gets hot. I am a mechanic for GM, and believe that it is exactly what you say, the lifters drain out and need a litte time to refill. Chevy have that same problem on the 3.1 engine especially if they sit for a while. I have adjusted the valvues on mine as well and did a new timing chain due to the high miles on the vehicle and still have that little noise. Very annoying sometimes, but i feel as if it is not a problem for me. The engine runs great and i do have a couple of other problems that baffle me, but as long as its not a loud clanking of knocking i would not worry bout it...
  • Are you talking about a '98 Accord? I thought they all have belts.
  • Hi. I own a manual 1999 Honda Accord LX with 4 cylinders under the hood. Its done about 102000 on the clock and has been running fine until now. On my recent interstate trip, i noticed that as i accelerated from zero to interstate speeds, the car begins to shake quite prominently between 40 to 60 mph. Surprising the vibration and shaking stops as i go higher. I tried 100 and it seemed fine. I am suspecting a natural frequency issue.
    Can some one shed some light on this, please?
  • I have plastic covers on a '90 Mazda. "Tar/debris remover" helped remove most of the film buildup on the headlights.
  • Sorry for the mix up, Yes it is a timing BELT, It is not a chain force of habit to me they all the do the same thing. One is dry and one is wet......
  • I own a 2001 honda and my tranny has gone out at 80K. I bought mine used though, with no warranty. Does Honda have any solution for me, or am I just screwed?
  • This is a Alignment/Suspension/Tire issue. I would take the vehicle to a good Front End Alignment/Tire Shop and have it checked.

Good Luck,
    E.D. in Sunny Florida
  • I am contemplating buying a used Honda Accord in the future, maybe six years old, because they are supposed to be so reliable, but I would be REALLY upset, I mean REALLY REALLY upset if the automatic transmission went out at 80,000 miles! I will properly maintain the vehicle, I would expect to drive the car for 6 years, up until about 200,000 miles and not have to repair the ENGINE or the TRANSMISSION. Is that reasonable? I am doing that now with my wifes 97 Ford Explorer V8 5.0L(145,000 miles) and my 00 Ford Explorer V8 5.0L(115,000 miles). I just need the better gas milage.
  • Hey, What's up with these car manufacturer's? Why don't they put an ELECTRIC OIL PUMP in the engine compartment connected to the engine with hoses, so that when the ignition key is turned on the ELECTRIC OIL PUMP primes the engine with oil BEFORE it turns over and while cranking. An electric control circuit would keep the ELECTRIC OIL PUMP from running while the engine is running. A check valve would keep oil pressure from flowing back though the ELECTRIC OIL PUMP when it is not running.
    Does that sound like a reasonable idea? Why don't they do it, Cost or to keep you coming back to buy new cars?
  • I seem to recall something exactly like your mentioning being sold years ago, maybe it's still available.

It was something you could swith on just before starting the engine. I think they only circulated oil in a low pressure, just enough to lube bearings and other parts, but would do nothing for things like valve lifters since they have to pressurize themselves.

Have you searched for an electric oil pump?

UPDATE: http://www.emp-corp.com/html/products/advanced/oil_mgmt/electric_oil_pump.htm

Mrbill
  • Or something like this:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/prelube/

But my ORIGINAL question was, Why don't the Vehicle MANUFACTURER'S put a prelube system in their cars?
  • With good maintenance, an engine should go 150k+ (many go alot more) without a major rebuild. Something like that would only please someone that wants their car to last a long time. I doubt the average car owner would be willing to go the extra $$ to have it come as standard equipment.

It's just one of those things that's probably best left for the aftermarket installers.

Mrbill
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,331
    it's simply not necessary. Overkill engineering.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I bought a 2000 Accord EXV6 sedan 3 weeks ago with 217,000 miles on it and have had no problems. I went in for an oil change and they told me that i need my rear brakes replaced and i should get my timing belt replaced (nothing wrong with it just passed the change interval)however i have read about transmission problems and my car does lightly shutter when cruising. Is it because my timing belt needs replaced or the early stages of transmission problem? The shuttering feels the way it does when i press on the brakes because my rear rotors are warped. I thought it might be the feeling from the brakes but i dont kno. Anybody with any kind of direction is appreciated!
  • Just purchased, (1-6-06); a 98 Accord LX with 99,000 miles on it. Motor runs great but CEL was on. I read the thread from the prior group and have one print out from the Service bulletin 01-011.
    It looks as though I will probably be replacing this unit myself or with the guidance of a mechanic buddy of mine.
    I didn't hear much on the difficulty of a left front wheel bearing r&r...
    A horrible raspy growl starts at about 15 mph and gets louder with higher speeds. It maintains noise level according to rate of speed regardless of gear shifts or rpm level. I suspect the wheel bearing. Any advice of which manual to purchase for these services would be appreciated.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    may be something other than transmission or the timing belt.

google: +shudder +egr +honda
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,388
    The bearings in the motor have oil on them from when it was shut down. Only if it's been sitting a long time might the pump up before explosions put greater force on the bearings be helpful. In the "good old day" if a car had been sitting many days, I could just not touch the gas pedal which kept the choke off and then crank the engine for several seconds to pump up the oil pressure. Then push on the gas pedal allowing the choke plate to close and the motor would start with oil pressure already present.

The preprime oil pump would be neat as a part of a cabin heater that uses the oil for heat. Quick heat on cold winter mornings. My college roommate had one in his car.
  • Just checking. I certainly don't know-it-all.
  • roxaneroxane Posts: 1
    Hi, any help would be appreciated. I just bought a used 98 Accord EX V6 with current mileage being 112K...Prior to the sale the previous owner had all belts replaced, water pump replaced and a few other things (the standard 90K tune up). No problems until 2 days ago I noticed a humming/buzzing/whining noise. It seems to be loudest when I am idling, checked my power steering fluid and its full, dont have any loss in steering control but it does seem to have a bit more play in the wheel (I just replaced both rear tires and I dont know if thats whats causing the "weirdness" in the response and handling) .. So my question is could it be the power steering pump beginning to fail? Could it be a pulley problem? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help... :blush:
  • ereefereef Posts: 1
    My wife recently drove home with the oil light on, you can imagine my delight. Took the car into the dealer which happens to be a 1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6. Told me the engine is destroyed and it would be a total waste to try and fix the oil pump.

Does anyone know a reputable mechanic in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida area? I am in the market for a new engine and a mechanic to do the engine swap. I would like to take it to a mechanic that specializes in Hondas if possible.

Thank you in advance for the help!
  • Now that IS quite a twist. I never heard or thought of that, using the oil for heat. It just seems that the coolant would heat up faster since it circulates in the head around the combustion chambers, especially since the purpose of the coolant is to soak up the heat and move it out of the engine.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,388
    The oil goes into the rods, valve train, and combustion chamber. I don't know how they use the oil for heat, but I was told it was heat quick compared to heating up 12 quarts of water that runs through a radiator. My friend had one installed on his personal car as a test for the company that was studying the idea of oil for heat.
  • I have a 2001 Accord EX 4-cylinder with automatic trans. Just went to the dealer today to check for recalls, and they told me I had been given a transmission warranty extension to 100k miles.
    Hope this helps.
  • :D I also own a 2000 Accord, EX. My clock light was the same as yours. I pryed or popped out my clock an found a small what I call a mustard seed sized bulb that twist lock into the clock base. I went to the Honda house and got a replacement. No problem now. Like the other reply says tape the end of the screwdriver or what ever you use. Pointed items are not good though. I know how frustrating it is at night not being able to see the clock. The bulb cost at Honda bout 4 something. Kinda high. So you may try a local Auto supply house first to see if its cheaper.
  • I've been trolling the message boards looking for other Honda owners who have the same issue with paint. I have a 1998 Accord with 51K miles on it. I checked the 1day auto paint type shops and they are quoting from 600 - 1500 to paint cars. I want to keep my car at least 2 years, am trying to figure out if I'm better off buying a new car. What do you guys think? Thanks. Any tips on selecting a company to repaint my car?
  • nlsnls Posts: 65
    I got the timing belt, water pump and balance shaft belt replaced by my mechanic. When he called a Honda dealer to get the balance shaft belt, and gave them the VIN number, he was told that the car is not supposed to have a balance shaft belt. Did Honda change the design during the 98 model year, with some cars having the balance shaft belt and others not? The car has a 2.3L VTEC engine, and was supposedly built in Feb 98.
  • I just looked at the views of the engine at www.collegehillshonda.com, and it does show a balance shaft belt. I also looked up a 97 (to see if an older one had one)and it did.

Sorry I can't help you with this one, I only changed a belt on a pre-balance shaft engine.

Mrbill
  • Engine oil does more then just lubricate the engine. It is used for three major jobs in the engine, 1. lubricating, 2. cooling, and 3. sealing. Most of the time when we think of oil people automatically assume it is just used for lubricating, but infact plays a major role in cooling and sealing the engine. But the oil will def. heat up faster then the coolant due to that fact that it is inside the engine and closer to the combustion. But that oil heat is a pretty cool idea and probably help extend oil change intervals and also cool the engine a little more due to the fact that it will be sucking some of the heat from the engine oil.
  • nlsnls Posts: 65
    The mechanic also said that he was told that the 97's definitely had a balance shaft belt, but the later ones (99's?) don't. Not sure whether the early 98's used the 97 design and the later 98's changed. Other than the dealer, is there a Honda contact who can clarify, given the VIN?