Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• My 1999 Accord runs great but the engine has started quiting while I'm driving. It doen't matter how fast I'm going. The electrical stays on and doesn't dim but the engine and power quits. It's manual but won't restart by poping the clutch. It restarts, although it seems like it's getting harder to restart. It's only just started doing this in the past week. I'm planning on taking it to the Honda dealer Monday but was wondering if anyone knew what was happening?
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    If it's an F22 engine, I suspect either the distributor, igniter, or coil, in that order. Hope it's not something major. Good luck
  • Hi

My accord V6 -2000 3.0L taco reads 112900 and I did an oil change service(honda dealer) before 2000 miles or so..

Still when I turn on the ignition , the Maintenance LED comes on for 3-4 seconds and goes away..when I start car it DOES NOT appear again and car runs fine.

I did not notice something unusual when car was running except that sometimes even though my air conditioning was OFF there was lot of HOT AIR coming from AC vents on dash board which was kinda unusual because I had just driven car for 10-20 miles when hot air started coming from ac vents from engine I suppose..

earlier day I had driven car for 400 miles with some stops !

What could be the reason for this maintenance required indication and does it mean I have to put coolant ? I never put coolant and I drove around 20000 miles till now . BUT I do the oil change every 3000 miles. I assume an oil change service must be taking care of the coolant stuff too. I have just been replacing Windshield washer fluid by myself..

Please help me with suggestions regarding maintenance LED flashing and coolant replacement when to do it.

Thank you
    Upendra
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    I think if you read your manual (and I would suggest that you do), the Honda will flash the light when you are comming up on a maintenance interval, then go out. As you get closer, it will stay illuminated until reset. The Reset procedure should be in the manual as well.

When you go to a shop to have your oil changed (and you have yours on 3K intervals which I think is unnecessarily often, 4.5K-5.0K is what I do), no, a person isn't going to service your engine coolant (which is a separate thing entirely than oil). And don't let them. Take it to the dealership and have them use only Honda Coolant when it's supposed to be serviced.

Generally, a coolant change is something you have done on perhaps 40K intervals perhaps.

Go back and read your manual. It will indicate the recommended change intervals for the Oil and Coolant. It will also explain how you can determine (when the engine is COLD!) if the engine needs additional coolant (generally, the level should be 1/2 way between Min and Max in the resevoir off to the side of the radiator).

Also, the Edmunds car site has a recommended maintenance intervals list for your Honda which you can follow, if you've misplaced your manual (has a section on Service Schedule).
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The maintenance required indicator can be reset yourself. If you are having the oil changed every 3000 miles, it just means whoever was changing your oil hasn't reset the maintenance indicator - which will engage every 7500 miles or so. To reset this, while the car is off press in the trip reset button with your left hand. THEN turn the key to the 2nd position (ON) but don't crank it. Hold it there for ten-twelve seconds then you may release it (Make sure you hold it long enough - go 15 seconds to be sure). After that, the maintenance required indicator should no long illuminate when you crank your car.

Unless you drive in very short distances, with lots of cold starts and idling, you should be able to go at least 5k miles without an oil change.

This light has nothing to do with your coolant whatsoever.
  • Ok Thank you all who responded. I will reset the trip button.

I wonder why hond adealers also don't trip it when they do oil service..and stick a paper notifying next oil change in 3000 miles :)) Next time I will do oil change in 5000miles.

but I think the car does go through cold start because it is used in chicago where is very cold.
    Yes, cold starts are ok though as long as you don't go 1 mile, then turn it off and back on (make lots of short trips).

The Honda dealer is just making money with those stickers. They used to put them in my Accord, and I asked them to stop. I imagine the service techs just forget to do it, or were never reminded to that in the first place, especially since they don't go by the actual recommended service schedule.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The last sticker I got told me my next service was due at the exact mileage the car was when I left it with them that morning. :P
    My last sticker had the math done wrong (4000 miles, not 3000). I hope they double check their math when actually calculating how much oil to use!
  • I'm having a whining problem coming from under the hood it's usually there when the car is cold but sometimes its just random, along with a few other problems like when I'm above 2500RPMs. When I'm on the highway before my car shifts down from around 2500rpms the door light, battery light, srs light, and brake light on the dash come and the dash and headlights pulsate. The srs light also just goes on and off randomly throughout driving. Sometimes it comes on when you move the seat or open and close a window and sometimes it comes on for no reason.

I was wondering if this sounds like its the alternator going out?
    I was wondering if this sounds like its the alternator going out?

I think you've got the situation pegged. Your alternator could be overcharging. Happens a lot. Maybe you can get it tested, to be sure.
    :surprise: And you guys let these bafoons work on your cars? When you take your car to the dealership, you think "A mechanic should be able to do an oil change with his eyes closed", but the guy who does simple maintenance has probably only been working there a couple of months.
  • I am not a car mechanic but what I used to think is, honda dealers would have experienced all know-how mechanics who would do the work perfectly and on top of that suggest me if something going wrong or maintenance needs with my car...This is second time I am in suprised, first time when the honda manual suggests me to change timing belt after 10500 miles but honda dealer brad barker tells no need to do it when asked repeatedly and this was at 110000... Where as other mechanic suggested do it asap and the techies on this forum also suggested to replace it with water pump..

I was thinking of doing some 100$ detailed inspection at honda dealer but now I am thinking...

Secondly now when they put a sticker of 3000 miles oil change for honda accords where as they must be using good quality oils already.. :mad:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm sure the person who puts the sticker in the windshield is not the tech doing the work. ;)
    IMO, the dealership service manager will tell you "you need to do this maintenance sooner" if the service department needs more work. If the work is backed up for days and days the service manager will say "oh, it can wait a while longer". I'm glad I don't have to deal with them at all. :D
  • Roland I'm having te same problems with my 2000 Accord have you got it fixed yet?

Joe Meko
    Russell, KY jksmeko@roadrunner.com
    Please don't email answers and instead share them here so everyone can benefit! :)
  • colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    Most dealerships do not use certified line mechanics to do oil changes. Rather, oil changes are done by lower-level shop employees, sometimes even part-time high school co-op education employees. This is not the case at all dealerships, but at many more than you would expect.

Next time you take your Honda in for an oil change ask the Service Advisor or Service Manager who performs the oil change. Also ask if the drain plug is hand torqued to the proper lb./ft. torque spec with a torque wrench. Any really good shop should do so.
  • Okay I will ask the honda guys..some times I just don't understand where to take my car for oil change wit hso many mechanics doing it at 12 $ and honda charges 29 $ (+ TAXES)

Every one says we use good quality rated oils. still I would take it to honda even if it is costly because at least I can ask for answers later

Thanks
    Upen
    IL,Chicago