Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• The car starts and idles fine but when trying to take off it sputters... Had someone look at it and replaced the timing belt, balance shaft belt, belt tensioner, distributor, fuel pump, rear wheel bearing and hub assembly. still doing it HELPPP..
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,780
    Well that was a BAD GUESS wasn't it?

Someone needs to read the trouble codes first off, then do the basics of cleaning the MAF sensor, throttle body, checking the EGR, checking for vacuum leaks, and of course the obligatory tune up. Also switching gasoline and using some fuel injector cleaner is not a bad idea.

• Not my Guess ,I want to trade a 96 S10 for it but I want to know if it could be fixed with out a big bill!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,780
    I didn't mean to imply it was your guess.

Without the proper methodical diagnosis, it's hard to say if it's worth it or not. Doesn't sound like a huge problem on the face of it.

• Car started running rough and we received multiple misfire codes. we noticed the plugs were worn so we installed new plugs. we then decided to test the coils, the only read I can get of the three terminals is 1.7 to 1.8 K Ohms.
    we tested against a good running honda and new out of box coil. seem to be in range.
    Any Ideas or sugestions?
    Thanks, Kurt
  • I am also getting a Check engine, Fast Blink light.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Could be the crank position sensor. If you could get the OBD II codes read, that would help narrow the possibilities.
  • How can we test the crank position sensor, ware is it located or photo of location.
    e-mail kkaufman001@roadrunner.com if you need to send photo.

Error codes: P0301,0303,0305,0306,1399

Please advise
  • I understand the coils can test O.K. and still be failing to groung/Block through the coil shaft.
    one or more B.O. Coils could cause the error codes I am getting.
    Best Place to get OEM honda parts at best prices?

Thanks, Kurt
  • O.K. Here it is.
    The Fix, One (1) Bad Coil.
    Had to run them in a known good working honda, One at a time to locate the bad one.

Yes it was the last one tested. I know, Bummer. !!!!
    I have a 50K spray insolation I want to test on the old one just for the hell of it.
    I did replace with a new part and runs great.
    Well, Thanks for the support :)~

Kurt
  • Hi,

My mechanic tells me the diagnostics report says the ORVR on my 1999 Accord V6 has failed. Well, at 110,000 miles it's about the first thing that ever broke so no big deal.

However, he says it's 7 hours of labor because he has to remove the gas tank and a lot of other huge and ugly stuff.

I read on one site that this can be accessed through the trunk - the guy said he actually cut a hole in the bottom of the trunk and got it done a it faster and with less disruption. BTW - he did it with metal shears so he didn't make sparks that would have blown him, and his Honda, up into the sky.

Does anyone have any insight? I'd sure like to save a bunch of money on labor.
    If I were going to do the job myself, I would do it the right way, with a shop manual, rather than cutting a hole in my trunk. The gas tank is not that hard to remove, when empty, You just have to do it, and not try short-cuts, that usually don't work. Just my opinion, of course. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Never heard of this failing outside of tank-toppers.

I'm not implying that you do this (really; random things wear out and go bad when cars age - I have a '96 so I understand :) ), but for those that top off their gas tank, trying to get every last drop in there, remember how expensive this can be. When the pump clicks off, be done pumping; repairing the Vapor Recovery System is apparently not cheap!

TheGrad
  • I have 98 accord and the door locks make a grinding noise when I try to lock them from either the driver or passenger side. I tried to pull out the fuse and just do it manually, buy the car wont start if I do. So what am I doing wrong? Please help..Dave Gale
  • I have a 1998 Accord EX that is in excellent condition.
    At the beginning of Nov. the check engine light came on but I didn't think much of it but on Thanksgiving Day, I started the car and the instrument panel lights didn't come on and haven't yet.

I took it to the garage, thinking it was a fuse or something simple.

It isn't the fuse and they can't find
    the problem or seem to fix it.

Anybody had this problem
  • how is it running? what lights and any codes or can you check for codes?

Kurt
  • Does anyone know how to replace the lighting for the milage indicator? Wife is complaigning about it and I guess there is a need to pull the dash panel but I need to know if its a light bulb or what before I go to that extreme.

Thanks Hank
  • Just finished going through my entire vapor recovery system in my 98 Accord. They usually dont fail too often. i have 214,000 on the car. Found out that the vapor recovery system was still going and working like it is supposed to. next was the romoval of the gas tank. Not too difficult preferably a two man job. But, since i had no help i did it. myself. Had three rusted out pinm holes on top front of gas tank, which explains why i kept getting a code in the vapor recovery system. vapor was actually escaping from these pin holes. Repaired them by putting plain old bondo over the pin holes. Works like a charm. Time to buy new rims so it looks good on the street. it is old and it deserves them after all these miles. If you have any questions just ask. I will be molre than happy to answer them. free of charge. I just love working on cars.
    Dr. Spark
  • aelikaelik Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 honda accord with little heat that comes out of the vents. Plenty of air, just not very hot, luke warm at best depending on how high i set the fan speed. I have checked the control panel, that is ok, i have changed out the t-stat, i have checked the heater control unit and the tests out ok, I checked the radiator hoses while the car is running, the top one is kinda hot to the touch but the bottom radiator hose is cold. This does not seem reasonanble considering what i have checked or repaired, can any one please help me with this situation? The weather is getting very cold and it's really hard to defrost the windows :(

Thanks,
    Aelik
  • I have a 2000 Honda Accord 5-speed with about 160,000 miles. When I depress the clutch pedal in the morning, when the car first starts, I can feel a pulsating sensation. The pulsating goes away after the car warms up and has run for a while.
  • Yes, Hank. It is a tiny lamp that needs to be replaced. My friend/mechanic brought one over and showed me how to remove the instrument panel and replace. Easy enough to do but I don't know where he got the bulb - not listed in the car manual. Maybe check with Advanced Auto or even dealer - can't be that expensive.
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    You can not find these tiny bulbs at auto part stores. You need to get them from a Honda dealer.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/

Above is a Honda dealer website where you can buy the bulbs. It takes a while to navigate through some screens to find the items you need. They are good at answering your questions if you don't know where the look for certain items.

Review the photos and find out how many bulbs are affected by Odometer and all IP back lighting. Don't just replace one bulb, replace them all so you don't have to revisit this issue a few months down the road.

The website is good for buying OEM floormats, cabin fiter, Honda OEM wheelcovers, air filter, and any inexpensive worn looking items.

Joe
  • rmd122rmd122 Posts: 21
    My 01 Accord the A/C panel lights go out intermittently. I lose the A/C but the fan still works. It comes back on randomly. I don't see a pattern.

Any ideas?
  • My 1999 V6 coupe started stalling out at various stoplights. Very unpredictable and dangerous. I took it to the mechanic who cleaned out the idle air control valve and changed out the spark plugs for about $165. The car has 80,000 miles on it.
    The car no longer stalls out, and the engine seems to have about 15 percent more power to it. The mechanic didn't change out the spark plug wires or distributor cap. Is this okay?

I would say that the spark plugs really don't last 100,000 miles and it is better to change them at around 75,000 or more miles. What are other people's experience with this?
    I don't think a 99 V6 would have the old type spark plug wires (electronic ignition). There is a sperate coil now, for each plug. No spark plug wires, distributor cap, or rotor to change. My original spark plugs are going on 72k miles, so I plan to change them soon (75k maybe). I already purchased the plugs, and they are not cheap. $10.00 per plug is the lowest price I've seen for the iridium-tipped long-life plugs (NGK or Denso).
  • mba101mba101 Posts: 2
    The back panel (that faces the right rear passenger) of the front passenger seat has fallen off. On the panel itself, there are 2 "fingers" at the top that slide up into the seat keeping it from falling out. At the bottom are 2 holes that receive screws that come out of the seat.

The fingers are easy. They just slide up. The bottom holes and screws are the problem.

Can anyone tell me how to secure this panel properly?

Thanks and Happy New Year.
  • From your description, I'm not sure where your having problems, is it with locating and aligning holes for the screws?. What I use is a long ice pick shaped tool. Insert it through the plastic panel, and locate the screw hole while holding the panel back a ways so you can see the hole in the seat frame. Once located, push the panel in place, then remove the pick and install the screw.

Are the holes in the seat frame stripped?, if so, you will need to replace the existing screws with a slightly larger diameter screw.

Mrbill
  • My 2000 Accord 4 cylinder is hard to start in this cold weather. The battery checked o.k., per my mechanic; he didn't volunteer any other reasons or problems. It does start, but just struggles to do so. Thanks in advance for any ideas! :confuse:
  • You might think of a heater, are you east cost ? there are several after market Blankets and or block heaters.

Kurt
  • siadnsiadn Posts: 3
    Just recently the SRS light came on my 2001 Honda Accord w/ 94,000 miles. I definitely don't want to take it to the dealer.

Any ideas or suggestions