Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• The honda Head light's used to have daylight feature or Did they? we also have a 2002.
    anyway, there was a chime that would let you know when you left your lights on and parked. :confuse:
    There is no longer a reminder chime ? any Ideas. :confuse:
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    I might be wrong but there is not such a thing as REAR running lights if this is the same Daytime Running Lights. Those lights are only for headlights.

If the rear lights come on when you turn your parking lights on, you should be good.

Joe
  • I agree, You should have Parking Lights or Marker Lights. But The rears should be a part of that.
    Kurt
  • What are the lights that turn on at the rear of the car when you turn the headlights on? What ever you call these lights, they are not working. How do I trouble shoot this problem?
  • Live in south Texas. Wipers only work when it is cold outside! Relays?
  • I have a 98 accord LX with 140,000 miles. The shocks and struts have never been replaced and the rough & bumpy ride proves it. I am thinking of repairing / replacing the shocks and struts all around but not sure about the cost and more importantly if it makes sense to do so and the implications of not repairing anything. I intend and plan to hold onto the car till at least 175,000 and likely beyond but need to insight into this potential repair and issue. If you have any experience with this matter, please share...I would love to hear and see what can of worms I could potentially getting into.

Some things I need help with:

1. cost to repair / replace
    2. impact of not doing the repair / replacement...maybe just a rough ride which I am already used to anyway
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I'd say, if your struts are not leaking, making noise, or your car keeps bouncing, after you hit a bump in the road, the struts are still OK. If the struts are anything like the ones I replaced on my 92 Accord, they are not easy to change. Unless you pay a lot more, for struts with springs on them, you will have to switch the springs over to the new struts. This requires a spring compressor, and is a very dangerous operation, especially for someone who's never done it before. You have to line the bolts up at a certain angle, and with the spring compressor I had borrowed from Autozone, it was almost impossible. I don't remember the exact cost, but good quality struts will cost a few hundred dollars easy. Don't do what I did, and spend a lot of money and time replacing perfectly good struts, just because they have some miles on them.
  • kim84kim84 Posts: 3
    What year Accords have this transmission problem? I have an 02 and haven't had a problem but iti is a standard. I've been considering an 07 as mine 02 has 150K on it but I don't want to buy an Accord year that has transmission problems.
  • I believe honda has a long history of weak auto transmissions. The 98-2002/3 autos are the ones with the particularly bad reputation. They did not have a recall, but there was a class action lawsuit against honda that resulted in the warranties being extended to 7/100 I believe. If you got one of the autos that didn't have a problem, you're fine. But I can also tell you that once you get a honda auto transmission replaced you will probably continue replacing them. If yours was a manual you have no worries (assuming your 3rd gear never gives you trouble - a long problem with honda manuals).
  • Hi mr shift. Have a problem with starting my honda accord 1998 model with about 128,00 miles.
    It cranks well but does not start the first time. When it cranks the second time, it starts normal. What could be the cause cos am a lil concerned about this?
    Any ideas would help.
    Thanks.
    Obi.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,646
    You might have a bad fuel pressure regulator---the logic being that if it is leaking down at night, you won't have fuel pressure in the fuel rail at start up, requiring the fuel pump to re-pressurize the rail with fuel all the way from the tank.

Also, no harm in checking basic tune up items on your car.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Your post is the first I have read about 3rd Gear Trans problems for '98-'02 Accords.

I have a '01 Manual 5 spd and would like to know what to look for and if the problem occurs at an average mileage on the Accords?

Looking forward to reading your reply. Thanks, BJ

:shades:
    All the automatic transmissions recalled were V6 only. No 4 cylinder transmissions were included. That eliminates most Accords.
  • marvin6marvin6 Posts: 72
    edited February 2010
    Mine is a 4 cyl and when I had mine replaced (several times) I always saw other 4 cyl accords there for the same reason - auto transmission replacements. Service manager - whom I've come to know - says they do a lot of them (4 cyl). And I do believe the class action suit involved ALL the transmissions, not just 6 cyl.

As for the 3rd gear in the manuals - you can check the forums here. I'm sure the problem still exists.

As a friend of mine who owns a shop told me - as good as honda engines ARE, their transmissions ARE NOT.
    I'd like to see a copy of the recall notice. I've had two Accords myself, both automatics, for the past 17 years. and neither of them had/have transmission problems. I guess that makes me special. :D
  • I'd like to see a copy of the recall notice. I've had two Accords myself, both automatics, for the past 17 years. and neither of them had/have transmission problems. I guess that makes me special.

I still have my 3x5 card from honda. It wasn't a recall, but a notice to tell me of the class action lawsuit and the warranty extension. If you google honda transmission problems I think you will see it's not limited to the accords by any means.

For me, the accord has had 3 replacement transmissions and a motor mount. In more than 35 years of driving I had never had a transmission or motor mount replaced in anything but the accord. Aside from those items (and a couple of SRS lights coming on for seatbelt replacements) it's been an incredibly reliable car and a very inexpensive car to own. Had it been anything other than a honda I would have gotten rid of it a long long time ago. Patience is a virtue :) I usually have two cars in the garage, but have kept the honda in spite of what else I owned. I am looking at new vehicles, but do not plan to get rid of this accord.
  • kevman3kevman3 Posts: 30
    car runs great still....32 mpg highway......perfect commuter....change the mobil one every 7500 miles, thats it!
  • Just bought a 1999 Accord EX with 55K miles on it. Everything good except seems it idles high at stop lights. My other vehicles are Toyotas and typically rev at 500 at stop light and very quiet. This Accord revs at 750-800 and feels rough and shaky, but drives fine otherwise. Tried fuel injector cleaner but no luck. Will tune up this weekend with wires and plugs and distributor cap and rotor and gasket. Where can I locate the fuel filter and is it difficult to replace?
    edited March 2010
    riverknoll.
    Your vibration at stop lights could be a motor mount problem, but check that out before just taking my word for it. The high idle could be because the previous owner thought that would solve the vibration problem. I could be way off, but it happens a lot. The stock Accord wires are pretty good, and they should last a very long time. I would definitely not replace the oem wires with cheap aftermarket. Do 99 Accords have distributors? I thought they were all electronic ignition by that time. Maybe not. :confuse:
  • gozagoza Posts: 1
    were you able to find the problem and how to fix it?
  • jazzchazjazzchaz Posts: 19
    you might also check for a manifold vacuum leak or a cracked or removed vacuum hose
  • haynes80haynes80 Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Can someone let me in on the secret of the location of this evasive fuel filter please.
    It may not have a fuel filter. I know my 03 V6 doesn't. There is a screen (sock) where the fuel pump picks up the fuel from the tank, but that's it.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Posts: 419
    edited March 2010
    I was told by my mechanic that the fuel filter is located in the gas tank and is not easy to get to.
  • silviodsilviod Posts: 13
    yes he is right, its in the tank.

does the mph hour numbers on your dash light up? ihave a 2001 accord and it doesn't light up, just the KM/Hour numbers
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My grandmother has a 2002 (same generation) Accord and the MPH numbers light up, and I feel like the KPH numbers are at least visble, if not backlit. Are you in the US, or a country where KPH is primary and MPH is secondary?
  • ivicaivica Posts: 34
    What is the purpose of the rubber seal on the end of the caliper slider bolt? I was freeing up some bolts this past weekend and soaked the bolt in gasoline to clean it. The rubber tip swelled up. I was not able to reuse it. I put the slider bolt back in without it until I can get one from the dealer? Just curios what purpose it serves as far as design.

Thank you.
  • beetoy61beetoy61 Posts: 8
    replace your fuel pressure regulator,it will cost you 60$ to replace the part.
  • I have a 1998 honda accord V6 coupe withthe exact same problems as you. I have changed the catalitic converter cause it was broken, the distributer (used one), ignition coil, fuel pump, did a tune up, cahnged pcv valce, egr valve, cleaned egr ports but check engine light is still on.

Car stalls while driving, sometimes starts back up right away, sometimes takes 5 trys but ti always starts up. It cal stall city driving, hwy driving or stopped ata red light. I took the car to 5 mechanics and no one has fixed the problem yet.

Please if anyone has come to a solution to this problem, please share.

Thanks alot guys!!!!
  • sl156sl156 Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Accord. Last year I had similar starting problem. After I changed the ignition switch, the stalling problem went away.