Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    $4,000 may seem like a lot for a 10 year old car, with that many miles on it, but if the car is in good shape, and was maintained well, it's worth it. Kelly Blue Book should give you some idea what the car is worth, but it's not as accurate on older cars, IMO. 18 months should be no problem, but nothing is a sure thing. Used cars are always a gamble, but I think this car is a safe bet.
  • tj111tj111 Posts: 5
    I own a 98 Honda Accord Ex 4 cyl with an OEM factory alarm.

It would alarm on its own daytime and nighttime. I went to start the car one morning, and could not get the car out of Park. I had to use the shift release. I also notice the horn and my cruise control stop working at the same time. The fuse for the cruise control is OK and horn relay OK. Is there a common relay or something that works together with the shift release,cruise control and horn maybe tide in with the alarm and where I can find it?
    One question. Do your brake lights work (press brake pedal and tail lights light up, release pedal, they go out)?
  • Nice to know!!!! :shades:
  • upengan78upengan78 Posts: 21
    I will check the service records but the timing belt / water pump were obviously done and most likely many other items.

That needs to be does not mean owner did it ! so make sure old owner did it and ask when ? otherwise it will be you next expense if owner did it 100000 miles earlier.

Also why not try a Car Check from some mechanics. Either you will have to pay minor amount or nothing at all. I checked my 93000 miles Honda accord when I bought it (from meineke they did it free)
    Your right. I went to check my brake lights today and they are not working.
    Any ideas
    I changed the fuse for the brake lights and my shift release, brake lights are working again. I'll check my cruise control out on the highway later. Pretty sure it will work. Only one problem. when I go to honk the horn, I keep blowing fuses and only when I honk the horn. The only other thing I did was disconnect the plug for the hood latch sensor for the OEM alarm. Read this was the problem that is causing my alarm to go off. Thought I try leaving it disconnected instead of replacing it. Car being 10 years old, don't care much for this alarm anymore. Do you think that this could be the problem?
    Don't have time to work on it today.
    The "brake position switch" is the part I know of that operates the brake lights, and releases the shift lever. The switch is located near the brake pedal arm. The lower dash panel may have to be removed to see the switch. It may just need to be adjusted. Don't know about the fuse blowing problem, sorry.
  • zakimanzakiman Posts: 71
    CEL came on a two daysa go and I was able to read the code P1456. I replaced the gas cap, and the CEL is still ON. Does it reset itself after a while?

Does anyone know if it is better to reset ( and how?) it or wait till it goes off by itself, assuming the problem was the gas cap.

Thanks a bunch!!
    02 Accord 140K
    If the problem was the gas cap, it should reset itself (in a couple of drives). If you were to disconnect the battery negative cable to reset the computer, make sure you have the radio code.
    Does pulling fuse#13 on the passenger side for 20 secs and then putting it back resets the 'Check engine light'? or do I have to reset it by disconnecting the battery cable.
    If this is not the gas cap causing the problem, is it worth investigating?

Thanks for your time,
    I don't know which fuse would reset the CEL on your car. If the gas cap is not causing the CEL, the cause should be investigated. Did you check the cap, and did you find a problem with it?
    Elroy, I replaced the gas cap a few days ago. This morning the CEL went off , I guess the computer did a check and the light reset itself. Looks like the gas cap was the culprit. Thanks for your help. I am glad I didn't go to the dealer and got charged an arm & a leg :D
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The gas cap CEL always takes a few days to go away. Glad you got it taken care of!! :)

TheGrad
  • garygary Posts: 39
    I have a 1998 Accord EX-V6L. On the HVAC control display, there seems to be a rectangular gasket surrounding the display. Over time, this gasket has moved and the lower portion is now covering some of the graphics.

Is there a way to easily re-position the gasket or does it need to be replaced? Any quick step-by-step instructions for removal of this display?

Please advise.
    Thanks in advance!!
  • activex111activex111 Posts: 41
    hi,
    The left turn signal on my 99 v6 accord started blinking rapidly. When th headlights are on, the blinking is no that rapid. Both the turn signal do come on, so the bulb is not out. Google search showed too many possibilities. Has someone experienced anything like this? Please let me know what do i need to check..
    Thanks in advance.....
  • nlsnls Posts: 65
    The same thing was happening on my Mazda MPV, and it turned out that the turn signal lamp had two filaments, and one of them had burned out. So the turn signal was still operational, but at a reduced intensity.
  • pccocclpccoccl Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2000 Honda accord SE and it's about 80,000 miles on it. Usually, it can run about 400 miles per tank. But recently, it only can run about 250 miles per tank after a fuel injection cleaning service at Walmart.

I have went back Walmart to ask but they told me the problem's not from their service.

So did anybody have same problem before? or any suggestions? Gas price is so high. :(

Thanks in advanced for your answer
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    What is your actual mileage? Divide gallons pumped by miles driven. (250 miles divided by the gallons you pump after those 250 miles). Example: 250/10gallons = 25mpg.
  • pccocclpccoccl Posts: 2
    I usually pump 14 gallons or more. So it should be around 18mpg and I run city and highway both. As I know, city/highway is 23/30.