Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    $840 for a radiator seems like an obscene amount of money. I think mine cost between $300 and $400 installed by my dealer on my '96 several years ago.

My grandmother has an '02 LX 2.3L Automatic with no mechanical issues at all. The only thing that's been replaced is wiper blades and tires! 100k miles thus-far. It even has original brakes front and rear.
  • KettyKetty Posts: 14
    My daughter took her Honda CRV to have brakes replaced as regular maintenance. The mechanic told her the recent Hondas are not as good as they were. He said he had a 2006 and recently sold it due to repairs. Are the newer models not standing up as the previous Hondas
  • My daughter had a 06 civic. She had trouble with the doors not opening and closing properly. The dealer told her that the hinges were the problem, and honda was working on a fix. After six months and no fix, issues getting the door open and closed. She sold it. Not saying honda has slipped, but it is enough to make me think twice. Especially when honda's tend to cost a premium over other makes.
  • therivertheriver Posts: 68
    I have a 2002 accord with 85 K. After I saw the recent updated recalls for the ignition interlock I went an tested my 2002 and the key can be removed when the car is in drive.

I happened to be at the dealer for another Honda service and made an appointment to fix. They checked my records and said the recall had already been done on the car, although they did not have the date.

Does anyone know when the original recall came out for 2002 cars? I presume Honda will have the date when it was allegedly done.

Also, is it possible the clip could have broken again or is it more likely they did not fix it?

I intend to call Honda to ask them to fix it again - anyone know what happens when a recalled item is fixed (i presume it was), then fails again.

Honestly, considering how little i use this car, it was probably never done.

Any thoughts
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,877
    recall on shift interlock -- 03/02/2005

• therivertheriver Posts: 68
    Thanks - called Honda today.They said it was done in 2006, but if it is the same issue they will cover it again.

I sort of remember about 2 years ago, I came inside the house and I heard a small crash outside (although crash is really overstating it). I went outside and saw my car had moved a few feet and hit a rake and a trash barrel - no damage - barely heard it. I saw the shift in drive. At that time I thought it was odd it had rolled, but just assumed I hit the gear shift as I was coming out of the car or something. Anyway, it was definitely after 2006.

Ironically, I have another Honda that had a recall related to the ignition at about the same time - different issue, but I must have assumed the recall notice related to the other car and not thought about it and did not even know there was a recall on this until I started reading the paper about 03 recalls and thought I would check mine..

Anyway, they are covering it again but I still believe it must not have been done.
  • grega3grega3 Posts: 2
    I bought my son a 2001 Honda Accord Ex from a private party. By the vin, it is supposed to be equipped with keyless entry. The private party wasn't the original owner but said they never had a remote for the car. So I bought a remote and followed the programming sequence published in several places on the web.... close all doors and trunk, turn key from off to on, hit lock button on remote turn key off, repeat three more times without allowing 5 seconds to expire between steps. Anyway, nothing ever happens. Maybe the keyless entry is broken... but everything else seems to work electrically with the car so I'm wondering how to tell if the car does in fact have the keyless entry option. I thought: well maybe the transmitter I bought is not working... but the led comes on so it appears to be transmitting. Any suggestions?
    It was standard equipment on the Accord EX for 2001.
  • lletournlletourn Posts: 19
    I have a Honda Accord 2000 and I'm a bit confused about air filters. :confuse: Do I have both a cabin air filter (the one behind the glove compartment) and an air conditioning filter? If so, where is the ac filter and is it fairly easy to replace (ie, no harder than the cabin filter). Thanks!
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    There is only one filter that is servicable and that is the cabin filter behind the glove compartment. A/C evap or condenser may have some type of an in- line filter that that do not require ever replacing. Your filters are cabin, air, oil, and transmission ( if it is automatic). The old canister fuel filters are now a little screen in pick up tube inside the gas tank which is not considered servicable.

Joe
  • lll3lll3 Posts: 10
    2000 Accord EX (75,000 miles)-about 2 weeks ago the SRS light appeared on the dashboard and stays on. A few days ago lost both regular beam headlights but high beams, turn signals and parking lights work. Is there any connection? What to do for either.
  • marvin6marvin6 Posts: 72
    IDK about your headlights - it could be that they simply burned out at the same time. I've had that happen to me and spent a lot of effort looking for something only to find out both bulbs went out at the same time. The SRS light is a safety issue that is covered by the manufacturer. Probably seat belt tension pulley or something like that. They had several TSBs on that issue for 2000 accords and it is covered regardless of mileage.
  • lll3lll3 Posts: 10
    2000 Accord EX paint sealant is chipping. What to do to address problem.
  • bajajoesbajajoes Posts: 48
    After sitting overnite my car seems to have a clutch contact problem starting. On
    Accords with the manual transmission the clutch needs to be depressed for the engine starter to activate. I am having difficulty with the clutch making contact with whatever is needed for the engine to start. After many tries I can succeed but it obviously needs
    maintainence. Thankfully this problem does not reoccur once car has been initially used for the day.
    I am seeking advice from fellow board members who may have experience or knowledge about this issue. Thanks. B.J. :shades:
    Not much you can do with peeling clear coat but have a body shop prep and re-spray that panel.

I'd recommend you crawl under there and find the switch that contacts the shaft of the clutch pedal. It might be nothing more than loose in its screw-down holder, or a wire could have come loose from the push-on connector. At worst, you'd have to replace the switch, which would be a simple operation.

• Could anyone help me with a slow crank issue. I have a 98 accord 4 cylinder auto transmission with 170K. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes the car cranks normal, sometimes slow (like a mid winter below 0 start) and occasionally a click, click, click. Had battery checked at 2 auto parts stores and was told it checks fine. Redid the negative ground, and most recently replaced starter. I'm at a complete loss and any ideas would be appreciated. The only think I can think of at this point is to replace both battery cables - while they have aged a bit I really don't think that will solve the problem. Thanks in advance.
  • Before buying new ones, I'd clean the current ones with baking soda and water (when unhooked from the batt, of course). They may be corroded to some degree.
    Battery efficiency drops markedly when the battery is that cold. By the time you get it out and to the auto parts store, it's warmed up and might behave a lot better. Many a battery that does just fine for *years* in a mild climate would fall flat on its face in sub-zero weather.

• Thanks for response - cold / warm nothing to do with it. It's not subzero now. Installed new starter after two auto parts store battery tests said good. They tested battery with handhld units...Same problem after new starter installed. Took battery to a place that load tested. Dead cell. This was my second bad battery in 3 years. Never would have guessed it after two guys told me it was good and it was only about a year old....anyway battery replaced no charge but I now have a new $130.00 starter and learned another lesson. I've lost confidence in Fleet Farm batteries and my ability to solve a simple problem.
    edited September 2010
    Don't be so hard on yourself...there are shops out there that have big neon signs proclaiming "EXPERT AUTO REPAIR" who have made mistakes a lot more elementary than that. At least you were working *logically* based on information you were given. I've seen shops replacing the starter because the car didn't start, even though it was cranking over!!! :cry:

• blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    I get all my work done at the Honda dealer. Oil changes 2x per year and the required State inspection. The dealer checks the battery,etc. when they do the oil change and inspects additional items at no charge. Discovered my battery was low at my last oil change. Bought a Honda replacement battery. 36 free replacement/96 prorated. Took the old battery back to NTB and,after some hassle,got a refund on the old battery from NTB.
  • 2001 Honda Accord EX Coupe, Hi everyone,

I am in the process of buying a 2001 Honda Accord EX from a private owner, the car has 120K miles, and the owner says that it is in good condition. I like to know how reliable will this car be at that point? and for how many more miles it will last at a reasonable maintenance cost? I used to own a Chevy Celebrity that lasted up to 280K miles. Appreciate your answer, Many thanks in advance.
    The biggie will be to find out if the timing belt has been changed. If it hasn't, count on $500-$800 to get this done, and make sure the water pump is changed at this time as well.
  • bajajoesbajajoes Posts: 48
    edited October 2010
    I have a 2001 Accord coupe with M/T and 4 cyl. I am very satisfied with this car but I have read many reports of '98-01's with Automatic Transmissions having problems. So much so that Honda increased the warranties on them. Other than that I know of no other issues. I would have preferred a v6 but they were not offered with a stick shift at that time. Good luck! :shades:
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,697
    120,00 is nothing for a well maintained Honda.

If you can get 280,000 out of a Chevy Celebrity that Honda should last forever!
    The AT problems were mostly on Odysseys and they weren't nearly as widespread as the internet forums would have you believe. Some of the V-6 Accords were affected too but not the 4 cylinders.

Minivans tend to get overloaded and abused and this was the cause of much of this. Still, for Honda, it was unacceptable.
    edited October 2010
    Minivans tend to get overloaded and abused and this was the cause of much of this. Still, for Honda, it was unacceptable.

Sorry; I'm a Honda guy but I'm not buying the "overloaded" bit. Vans have heavier payload ratings and should have heavier-duty transmissions to match. Cars get overloaded too. Ever put 5 men in an Accord? I have, the front seat had 575 pounds alone. Guess what, it was overloaded while still being within seating capacity. I never had a problem (even climbing mountains in Chattanooga), but it was still technically overloaded.

Honda had a period of transmission problems, now they've left that behind and started a new trend of braking problems. Affecting everyone? No; but it's a very un-Honda thing.

Speaking of "un-Honda," my 2006 Accord was fun to drive, but in the end, all the warranty work I had done while I had the car spooked me right out of it once the warranty expired at 63,000 miles.

Fuel economy had dropped by an average of over 10 MPG very suddenly, dealer said no Check Engine Light, so nothing they could do
    CD changer
    Major unfindable suspension rattle
    Auto-off headlamps not working properly (dead battery anyone?)
    Center console came apart
    Rear-view mirror glass literally fell out of housing
    Gas-flap malfunction
    Horn broken at 50k miles
    Misaligned airbag cover on steering wheel preventing horn operation without pushing REALLY hard -- seperate from the actual horn that broke.

That said, I sold the Accord, got an 09 V6 Sonata with lower miles and more equipment than my EX Accord 4-cylinder, and left without a car payment.

Honda needs to focus on quality once again. I still have my 1996 Accord with 217k miles and it is a tighter vehicle than my 2006 ever was.
    Oh, I beg to differ. Minivans often have a very hard life.

We would get Odysseys in our shop that had Class 3 hitches on them, along with roof racks. Interiors looked like they had been lived in and after 100,000 miles, the transmission fluid looked like it had never been changed.

Of course, severe usage is going to contribute to early failure of a transmission.

Yes, they did have some failures areat were well above the norm for Honda but Honda stepped up to the plate and replaced transmissions that were well beyond the warranty period. People don't talk about that much.

I started selling Hondas in 1995 and did this until I retired in May. I can honestly say I never noticed any decline in quality during that time. Our 2007 Accord has been flawless without one warranty repair.

Having said this, Honda is faced with a lot of tough competition. More than they ever had in the past. The Korean cars that we scoffed at have improved markedly and others are breathing down Honda's back.

People have short memories and being loyal to one brand is a thing of the past.

Honda can't let quality slip. They have to maintain their edge.
  • marvin6marvin6 Posts: 72
    edited October 2010
    The AT problems were mostly on Odysseys and they weren't nearly as widespread as the internet forums would have you believe. Some of the V-6 Accords were affected too but not the 4 cylinders.

Really? Honda has long been known for transmission problems and not just in the odyssey. They had a class action lawsuit against them on the accords in the late 90s and early 2000s. My 2000 4 cyl accord had FOUR automatic transmissions in it.
    In fact, honda's class action lawsuits (plural) have mostly been for transmissions - including the odyssey class action lawsuit(s).

One other thing you want to be aware of on the accords is the motor mounts. The accord also has a history of front motor mount problems.