Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

1697071727375»

Comments

• I have a 98 as well - Try the idle air control valve. I'd say w/ 95% certainty that's it. It's a PIA to get at and is located between the firewall and near the throttle body. I believe 2 or 3 screws to remove...you have to really feel for them. The IAC has a few coolant lines attached. I would suggest just removing the screws and leaving the coolant lines in tact. That should give you enough clearance to lift the IAC high enough up to spray with some heavy duty carb cleaner. You have to work it over good and get all the carbon and crud gone. When you screw it back on you should be able to use the same rubber gasket but you might want to put a little blue rtv sealant on to hold the gasket in place. Your other option is to replace the IAC with a new one but they are a bit spendy. My accord has 215K and I did this 15K ago with no issues since. Good luck!
  • I have a 1998 Accord Ex with approximately 163,000. I have noticed lately that it feels like it is going to stall when I approach a stop light or stop sign. About two months ago it stalled on me 6 times on my way home from work. The next day it started perfectly and when I came up on a stop sign it was fine. However, when I drove it for a while, I came up to another stop sign and it stalled on me again, and then a while later as I came upon another stop sign it sputtered like it wanted to stall but didn't. On my way home form work, it was fine and had been for a couple of weeks and now it is starting all over again. However, it hasn't actually stalled...yet. Maybe on my way home tonight? Ha! BUT, this morning when I got in my car, the CHECK ENGINE light went on. My car still feels like it wants to stall. Any ideas? Anyone??? It has been a while since my last tune up. I had the oil changed about a month ago.
  • First step would be visit one of the parts stores close by (AutoZone, Advance, etc...) and have them read the P code from your CEL indicator. This should indicate if it is in your Catalytic convertor, EGR Valve, O2 Sensor, etc..
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,880

@bashful928 said: I have a 1998 Accord Ex with approximately 163,000. I have noticed lately that it feels like it is going to stall when I approach a stop light or stop sign. About two months ago it stalled on me 6 times on my way home from work. The next day it started perfectly and when I came up on a stop sign it was fine. However, when I drove it for a while, I came up to another stop sign and it stalled on me again, and then a while later as I came upon another stop sign it sputtered like it wanted to stall but didn't. On my way home form work, it was fine and had been for a couple of weeks and now it is starting all over again. However, it hasn't actually stalled...yet. Maybe on my way home tonight? Ha! BUT, this morning when I got in my car, the CHECK ENGINE light went on. My car still feels like it wants to stall. Any ideas? Anyone??? It has been a while since my last tune up. I had the oil changed about a month ago.

You have a sixteen year old car with a ton of miles on it. All any of us can do here would be to guess and guessing can get expensive. It could be a number of things and continuing to drive the car in this condition isn't a good thing to do.

I would take it to a dealer or a TRUSTED independent and have them take a look. You don't want it stalling out on you at the worst possible time!