Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bajajoesbajajoes Posts: 48
    If your car is used on gravel or dirt roads even occasionaly it would not be advisable or cost effective but if you are one whose car hasn't seen dirt or gravel roads since it was built and you want to increase miles or time between changes it might work well for you.
    Long haul truckers like it especially well.

:)
  • rapriderraprider Posts: 42
    I have a 2000 Accord Coupe V6 with about 85k miles. In the past 2 weeks, it has been giving me intermittent trouble starting. For instance, 2 weeks ago, it started fine in the morning and I drove to the office (6 miles). In the afternoon, I got in the car and it turned over but then stalled out. I was unable to get it started again. Its not the battery (2 years old), since it was definitely cranking, and all acc's worked fine. When the AAA guy showed up, he fiddled with the battery cables a bit, said there was some corrosion, and it started up okay after that.

Everything was fine for about a week, then last Saturday the same problem, this time in a restaurant parking lot. Crank, catch, stall. I opened the hood, wiggled the cables a bit, and it started up.

Everything was again fine for about a week, until yesterday afternoon. I drove to work in the a.m., left after an hour to go to the dentist, and then came back to work an hour later. After work, the car didn't even turn over this time, just cranked. I fiddled with the cables again, disconnected them from the battery, wiped the terminals clean, re-attached the cables, and nothing. Just crank. Had to have the car towed to my mechanic. Spoke with him today, and he's been able to start it with no problem several times through the day.

Not sure where to look. Any ideas/suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Rap

p.s. Apologies, but I had posted this in the Accord Starting/Stalling forum before I found this one...
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    May be the fuel pump main relay. The relays will usually give you more trouble when it's hot inside the car. Just guessing. :confuse: Good luck finding the problem.
  • Rap, I have a 98 accord 6 cyl and had the same problem for 2 years. I recently have my transmission rebuilt and the mechanic was checking the computer to see what code the car was giving for the transmission problem. What he discovered was a strange code so he rebooted the computer to clean out this code and low and behold I haven't had the problem in 2 months. So my suggestion is to have Honda reboot your computer first before they start talking about changing ignition or fuel injectors or anything else mechanical.
  • rapriderraprider Posts: 42
    My mechanic had no problems starting the car yesterday, of course! I asked to leave it overnight and have him check again. This morning, same deal. :confuse:

So I said "I was checking some things on the Edmunds forum, and someone suggested the fuel pump relay...can you check that out?" He said he would, and when he went to move the car again, it didn't start, :surprise: so he checked into the relay (told me it's not specific to the fuel pump, just a main relay) and replaced it, and is starting fine. For now! ;)

Thanks for your help!
    Rap
  • snukesnuke Posts: 81
    Don't you just love it when your car finally acts up on the mechanic and not just on you. Glad to know your problem has been resolved.
    You might want to have your fingers crossed, when you start it, for a few days. ;) I hope it's the true cause, but only time will tell.
    I would like to know what posters on this forum feel is the appropriate time or miles to change/flush coolant in their Accords??
    Not necessarily one book answer but what you as owners feel is the correct time vs mileage to change/flush coolant? (50-50 mix)
    I realize that duration may change with time/miles and type of use your Accord recieves. Also different types of coolant?
    :confuse:
  • I just did mine at 75,000 miles. It is also better I think to do a drain and replace coolant every year or so, as opposed to doing a coolant flush. Keeps it cleaner and costs about half as much.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Drain and fill every 4 years with Honda brand Coolant.
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    First learn how to do it yourself......

Flush the Honda coolant out and use Prestone anitfreeze ($10 at Walmart). Do the flush every other year regardless of the mileage. Use 50/50 distilled water and antifreeze.

Joe
    Your remark about distilled water is interesting. I had heard about using it but am not knowledgeable about its benefits.
    Can you expand about distilled water/coolant in radiators?

:)
    I did a simple drain (block and radiator) and fill at 45k miles (4 years). I will do it again every 30k miles (3 years). The owner's manual says 100k miles before the first change :surprise: , but I didn't want to wait that long (better safe than sorry). I used Honda coolant (no Prestone for me).
  • Do you really think Honda makes its own coolant? They just paste their name on Prestone or Peak coolant and double the price to the customer. Same thing with their "special sauce" motor oil.
  • Unlike tap water, distilled water is free of mineral deposits and prevents algae or other growths.

I wonder if the average auto service shop uses tap water or distilled water. Hopefully the latter, but lots of businesses tend to cut corners. Does anyone want to hazard a guess.
    The oil is really Mobil Clean 5000 brand. I do believe the Honda coolant, brake, and transmission fluids were developed by Honda, for their engines, brakes, and transmissions. Honda's coolant is pre-mixed, so you don't have to add any kind of water, and it's no more expensive than Prestone.
    Honda coolant which is 50/50 is about $20 a gallon. First of all, whoever that came up with 50/50 PRE MIX coolant idea is a genius since people have been ripped off ever since. Even at Walmart....50/50 for $8.99, straight Antifreeze for $10.99. I wonder which one is more economical....

They are charging twice as before and calling it convienence. In Honda with automatic transmission, I will use their fluid. But for coolant, Prestone would do. For power steering fluid, I would use after market brand that says for Honda.

Joe
    Between Aug 1-30, you can buy a five quart Penzoil synthetic jug for $20 with a $15 Walmart gift card mail in rebate. That makes the synthetic oil $1.00 a quart.

If you do not like Walmart....never mind.
    Honda coolant which is 50/50 is about $20 a gallon.

Honda coolant is $11.87 at HanAaccessories. I will pay the extra couple bucks for it, because there is no question about compatibility.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    It ain't about best price:It's about best for your Honda. It's particulary important to use the Honda brand Coolant and ATF. Hated to see the #18 car win,Elroy,but I have to admit, the guy can drive.