Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I would like to know if my 2001 Honda Accord has what is referred to as an

EDR(engine data recorder)? I have heard that some cars have these units

which record various parameters of the car such as speed, brake use,seatbelt use,

air bag deployment and are subject to supoena in case of an accident.

Anyone have info about this?
    :confuse:
  • After I replaced the battery(could be co-incident) , I found the RPM and speedometer stopped working. I saw there's a posting back in 2007 for a '99 Accord with similar problem. However, the poster did not say what is replaced/repaired by the dealer. Anyone else with a similar problem? Could it be the vehicle speed sensor?
  • After paying $150 to Honda dealer for diagnostic, their conclusion is to replace the speedometer cluster for another $700. I decided to do this with an outside shop. As I was asking quote from different shops, I found that the cluster really is a circuit board with controller IC. Since the problem happened after I replaced the battery, I decided to give it another try by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after several minutes. Effectively, I'm resetting the IC. Guess what. The speedometer is working again. Honda engineer should be ashamed of such poor engineering. The controller just didn't know how to get out of an unknown state. I wonder how many speedometer clusters were replaced without any problem.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Car computers, just like other computers, can freeze up, and have errors. A re-boot is many times the simple solution. Saved $700, now that's something to smile about. :D
  • I loaned the car to a friend: she reported that the clutch suddenly would not engage and she could not get it into gear. I suspect she forced it into 2nd, and limped it to a parking lot, leaving it for me to tow home. I had the hydraulic master and clutch cyls replaced, along with the line, to the tune of $600 including parts. Now it is driveable, but 2nd gear synchro is fried. I think she must have broken the teeth off it when forcing it into gear. Car has 145K, runs great otherwise, plan to keep it. No other probs in any other gears, and had none prior to this (maybe slight scrunchiness in 2nd on occasion, and I know this gear tends to wear 1st.) Do I need to just "rebuild the tranny" or ought I just have the synchro replaced in this gear? :sick:
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    Does anyone know how to reset this light or has a website link that shows the steps to do this for 2001 Accord 4 cylinder?

My son drives this car and I noticed the light being on. The car has 128K miles. I have done all the maintenance on the car and it does not need to go to the dealer for any service so far.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • snukesnuke Posts: 81
    Joe, these instructions are the ones listed in my 2000 Accord manual.

1. TURN OFF THE ENGINE

2. PRESS AND HOLD THE SELECT/RESET BUTTON ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL, THEN TURN THE IGNITION SWITCH ON

3. HOLD THE BUTTONS FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS, UNTIL THE INDICATOR RESETS.

I hope this helps.
  • Hi,

I am curious about a number of repair items suggested by my mechanic.

The car runs ok, with the ride being a tad stiff. And, I think that the engine could be a little more efficient.

I sometimes hear a loud screech when turning the car tightly at low speeds. Based on a friend's suggestion I thought that the CV boots needed replacement. After looking at the car the mechanic recommended the following repairs:

Replace both axles: $350+
    Replace both front struts: $450
    Replace sway bar links: $150

Additionally, replace distributor housing: $330+

Total around $1500 with some other small items.

Questions:

Are these replacements expected for a car like mine?
    Are these quoted prices reasonable?
    Which one of these repairs can I live without for now?
    Should I plan for another automobile?

Also, I want to get the engine efficiency issue looked at, but I am scared that will also be a large bill and I might be tempted to go for it.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    I would take it to a Honda dealer,tell them about the screech and nothing else. Let them check it out. 2nd opinion.
  • lll3lll3 Posts: 10
    Clock is functioning but not light. Can not read time at night. Seems like the problem is the light bulb. When I popped out the clock to my 2000 Accord LX, all I see is a green computer motherboard with 2 wiring terminal attached. The motherboard is screwed into the back of the clock unit. What's next?
    I replaced the one in my son's Accord. The clock bulb is a little tiny black base screwed in the housing. No wiring goes to it. It gets its power from circuit board wiring. It has a tiny slot for small flat blade screwdriver.

You will find it much easier if you have the replacement blub/socket. You do not take any of the housing off.

Joe
  • I noticed that the light in my clock gets dimmer when the headlights are turned on.

Seems like it should be the reverse.

Any comment on how to switch this to be brighter at nite?

:confuse:
  • I noticed that the light in my clock gets dimmer when the headlights are turned on.

Sounds like it's working fine to me. They dim the clock assuming it's getting darker inside the car (as well as outside) and you don't want as bright a display as you would when it's daytime.

Mrbill
  • My problem is that its being dimmed so much that it is not readable in a dark car.

If there is a way to stop it from being dimmed when going to night mode that would correct the difficulty I am having reading it.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Turning the odometer reset button to the right increases the brightness of the dash lights. The only time I find the display is not bright enough is when it's raining during the daytime, and you turn on the headlights, but it's not dark enough inside the car too see the dash lights well (especially if you have sun glasses on). I just deal with it, because the dash lights are too bright at night, if you turn the brightness up too much.
  • booogbooog Posts: 8
    Where did you get the replacement bulb and how much was is?
    I ordered it among other little items from an online Honda dealer when I bought the Accord used in April.

Their price was like $2.30. If you are getting several items like wheel covers, bolts, belts, hoses, or filters, it makes sense to go online. If you just need this bulb, go to your local dealer and pay the extra $ to get it.

Joe
    Here is the site if you need several Honda items...

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/

Joe
  • Hi Folks,

Few questions regarding my 2002 Accord/Vtec-4ccyl with 135,000 kms.

1) The fuel economy has gotten very bad. I've had the following serviced in the past 18 months: Plugs, Fluids(All), new Tires, battery.

Any thing else I should consider?

2) The Green Backlight on the Odometer reading LCD died. Is this repairable?

3) Yes the Tranny is a bit rough. SIGH. Slips once ina while or is just super slow.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Was the service performed by a Honda Dealership?