Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I just took my car in for the 15K maintenance, I am looking for a list of what should actually be replaced. I got a bill for over $300. I think this is too much.
    I am located in New Jersey

Thank you
  • Check your owners manual. If I remember correctly, there isn't anything at 15k that needs replacement.

You need to follow what's in the manual, not what the dealer recommends. They love pushing more services then necessary, that's a $$ maker for them.

Mrbill
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Other than changing the oil and filter and the air filter, and lubricating hinges and latches it's mostly just an inspection. $300 is a lot for such simple maintenance, but that's the price you pay when you can't/won't do it yourself. :sick:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    You should be using your Maintenance Minder (the Oil Life reminder). It will also give a code as to what service should be done when the oil-life reaches 15% and the little yellow wrench appears in the dash. For example, the last time I went code: B1 showed in the odometer with the little wrench light simultaniously, which according to the manual, indicates a tire rotation and an oil change.
    Does anyone else have a console lid that creaks loudly when you open and close it? I am going to get mine fixed hopefully at the next service (I'm at 30%). This will be near the 30k mile mark. I'm betting this service will be more involved since it hasn't had anything more than oil and filter changes so far (I've got 27,650 on the car now).
    You might have to finance this one grad. ;) Just kidding, but be prepared for a reaming. Don't forget the lubrication. :surprise:
    You might have to finance this one grad. Just kidding, but be prepared for a reaming. Don't forget the lubrication.

Yeah, I've been saving. $ :cry:

Don't worry, I open my console to take out anything valuable (usually just a phone charger) before I leave the car for service. I'll hear that creak - it is like a haunted house door... rrrrrreeeeeeeerrrrrrreeeee.
    They will probably just spray some sylicone lube on it. Don't know if the hinge is plastic or metal? I would have to take a look.
    They will probably just spray some silicone lube on it. Don't know if the hinge is plastic or metal? I would have to take a look.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Yep, I do have some rattles on my 06 accord, but they are so minor, like one is in the right and left doors, but they are simply inside the door. Easy fix. One rattle is actually the cd cases inside the storage console. Then on occasion, when its really cold the actual dash squeaks faintly. The dealer already heard them, so I got to basically bring it in. I am not worried. I have driven my 06 accord 2 years now, and I absolutely love driving it, the engine is beautiful, the size is excellent, I have the SE, and it has plenty of features, though I miss my sunroof alot, but I have found, everything else has outweighed that. My mother has a 04 Jetta, which is a bit smaller, my family always takes my accord, we actually took it to Florida, 5 people, 16 hours. I have had no problems with it. Sometimes, I am suprised with a new feature found.
  • user5user5 Posts: 8
    General question about lubrication.

Oils and grease, these intertact with rubber seals. For lubrication shouldn't we be going to the dealer so that only chemically compatible (lubrication-seal) lubrication is used and the seals are not damaged prematurely?
    Yet another reason to buy a Service Manual for your car. It tells you what type of grease to use for the different hinges and latches etc.
  • How do you remove the cylinder fron the ignition itself i have the steering wheel off and all is lose but still i can't remove the lock cylinder itself for replacement can anyone help me please.
    Here is a link that explains it in detail. Good luck
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html

Kind of late now, but there is a 4th generation (90-93) Accord thread especially for your car and cars like it.
  • exshomanexshoman Posts: 109
    2006 EXL 5spd w/31K miles. Was running some last minute errands on Christmas eve, when engine dies. Restart it, but it continues to die at stoplights. Runs ok otherwise. Honda dealer is closed, so I have to take it in after Christmas. I had already been in a couple days before so that they could work on a couple other minor issues (console door wouldn't stay down, and power seat adjuster knob was broken).

They tell me the mass air flow sensor went bad, had to order the part. Might be in tomorrow, might be Monday. Would have cost me 2-300 in a few more months when the warranty runs out.

One of the major reasons I had for getting an Accord was their reputation for reliability. And now its in the shop 3, maybe 5 days. Not a happy camper.
    They tell me the mass air flow sensor went bad, had to order the part. Might be in tomorrow, might be Monday. Would have cost me 2-300 in a few more months when the warranty runs out.

Your powertrain warranty is 5-years and 60,000 miles. You should have more than a few months to go.

Sorry to hear about that though - my dad's 2005 Accord never experienced such a problem after 70k miles. I'm at 27k in my '06 Auto 4-cyl with no reliability issues.
  • Yellow ABS warning light and red"brake"letters stay on. A local garage mechanic
    says it is the ABS computer (modulator?). Car is an '04 EX with 43,000 miles.
    I have an appointment on 12/31 with a dealer and he also will test it.
    If it is the ocmputer does such a unit go bad so soon? Car is over-warranty but will
    HOnda USA do anything for me as far as the cost of repair? Could the problem have been mis-diagosed?..any advice for me? I never purchased an extended warranty
  • I just got my '04 accord LX V6 in for a scheduled maintenance, and was told my rear brake pads were worn down to 5% and needed to be replaced. This car is used primarily for city driving (NY), and has 23,500 miles. Is this a little early for rear brake pads to wear down?
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    The rear brake pads wear more quickly than the fronts in the seventh generation Accords. Yours is one of that generation. Just do a search for "rear pads" using the Search This Discussion box at the top of these posts to research it if you care to.
  • I have a 2004 Honda Accord DX. Great car. Won't ever buy any other brand. However, my lights on chime that dings when exiting car with head lights on has stopped working. I've checked owners manual with no sucess at troubleshooting. Can this be fixed by checking for a blown fuse or is this a dealers's fix? Can anyone help with advice?
    Happy new year to all !!!
  • Is there a way to pull ABS codes from an 03 Accord without going to the dealer?
  • Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If your car is anything like mine an 03 LX Coupe the lights should go off automatically after about 30 seconds. You shouldn't be in any danger of leaving them on and having them kill the battery or anything. I'm not mechanically inclined at all so I wouldn't bother, but some people would not that it's a bad thing. Some people just have different priorities I guess. For instance I had a 91 LeSabre which I always had to enter from the passenger side because neither of the driver's side doors front or back worked. I didn't bother since the car was an old bomb anyway. Some people wouldn't have tolerated it, It's all a matter of preference. Sorry, I'm rambling. :blush:

Sorry I couldn't be of any help. Your car is probably reaching the end, if it hasn't already reached the end of the warrenty since it is about 3 years old or I'd say you could take it in to see if that would be covered under the warrenty.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I've not yet had a car with a warrenty on it so I don't know how to go about warrenty repairs.
  • exshomanexshoman Posts: 109
    Quite true, Grad. I was just thinking of the 3/36 warranty for the rest of the car. Might have even been covered under the emissions warranty, which I thought went for 100K on all cars. Dealer did say it's a rather rare problem, he's only seen a handful of them fail in the last 5 years.

Anyways, the part came in today, and I picked it up and it's back to running smooth again.

One new minor problem cropped up, the indicator light for the driver's heated seat doesn't light up. Probably happened when they had taken apart the console to install the new console door. Might wait until I've got another reason to go in before getting that looked at.
  • parvizparviz Posts: 484
    It could be the ABS sensor in which case it would cost a lot less than the worst case senario of your ABS control module being bad. Shouldn't have gone bad so soon. you may want to wait till Monday to see what the dealer says then evaluate your options. Good luck.
    I'm wondering if a MAF sensor would be included in drivetrain warranty? I thought drivetrain was only parts of the engine itself, transmission, and parts that actually drive the wheels (cv joints, driveshaft etc.). Never had a reason to find out at this point, so I don't know for sure exactly what's covered under "drivetrain" and what's not.
    There is a way to get the troubleshooting code from the MICU (Multiplex Integrated Control Unit) which is part of the under-dash fuse box (using a service check connector). This is at the very edge of my ability, and I almost lost my mind doing this on my own car. I finally got it sorted out on my car, but it took days to accomplish, because I am no mechanic. Maybe a regular code reader would work (hooked to the OBD port), or you could get ahold of a service manual of your own, and pull your own hair out. Good luck, either way. I looked at the fuses, and didn't find anything dedicated to the lights on chime. Sorry. :(
    The DX MODEL DOESN"T HAVE AUTO-OFF HEADLIGHTS.

Yes, I wrote that in caps, but I dont want them to have a dead battery. :)
    Let's hope he tries it out (I did), before just assuming they'll go off by themselves. :surprise:
  • Oopsy I didn't know. :) I keep assuming things. I guess I keep finding out what happens when one assumes. One makes an --- out of u and me. Tee hee.