Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mookie14mookie14 Posts: 252
    Got a 07 Ex-L Accord and to my Surprise Thanks to my spouse im almost out of Warranty like this week. And NO $$$ TO BUY A WARRANTY so being this is the first time i have not had a extended warranty on any auto and im going to try to get a 2010 Accord in march is when i have 6 mos left on this lease. But honestly this is the best auto i have ever had hands down am i sh..... out of luck and out of alot of paper seeing i will be naked with no warranty until i get a new accord thanks guys
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,387
    Well, a couple of points:

1) No, I don't think you should worry. Accords are quite reliable, expecially one as new as yours, so the odds of anything major happening (certainly expensive enough to cost more than the price of the warrenty) are very, very low.

2) Buying an extended warrenty for a lease car makes no sense in the first place, since you will logically never get to use it. I suppose you might be able to cash in some of the value at the end? But it still makes little sense.

Either get a lease, or buy a car with an extneded warranty and keep it for 6/7 years.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

Is There a such there that exist as automotive credit vs retail credit that finance arms of auto companies use. I saw a some thing from experian that says dealers have access to that info is that correct??? ps thanks for the info about the warranty im still tripping about being out of one though. Heck at least i do not have a gm or a ford or dodge thats 4 sure i know i would be ..... out of luck.
  • sarahapsarahap Posts: 10
    The little old lady across the street is selling me her '03 LX. It has only 23k mi. We're wondering if we need to think about replacing the timing belt and do all that 5 yr maintenance even though the miles are low. Would appreciate any thoughts. Her records show she had it into the dealer in Feb for maintenance but they just did an oil change and standard check-off.

Thanks
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    If it is a 4-cylinder model, there is NO TIMING BELT to deal with. I'd change the brake fluid though; it gets water absorbed into it over time, and will break down the seals if left in there. It should be changed every 3-4 years.

Also, check the tires to make sure they aren't dry-rotting (check for small cracks along them). Stuff like air filters should be changed at 30,000 miles. Hopefully she has the owner's manual? If she does, it'll have all the details you need. :) Enjoy your (like) new Honda!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,615
    I agree. I'd definitely pay very close attention to the tires and probably replace them or at least have one dismounted and inspected carefully.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

just had the rears done yesterday on my '05 (at a whopping 43K) Work much better now. Smooth and quiet, nice firm pedal, and no groaning/grinding (will see if that comes back on a wet day!)

Also had the brake fluid done. I was having it flushed anyway, but they did a dip strip test (like checking pool water) that showed purple, meaning time to change! Doubt it was a scam, since I had already told them to do it.

With the new brakes (front pads have about 7mm on them, so good for a long time yet) and recent Yoko tires, roadholding and braking are light years better. I can even go around an off ramp at more than 10 MPH without plowing right off it!

For the brakes, it was the inner (right side) pad that was worn down. Mechincs felt it was a sticky caliper slide that caused the problem (making the pad drag slightly), although the rotors had penty of meat to cut still.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• amygdalaamygdala Posts: 6
    i recently bought a certified 2006 se automatic accord,this is my first accord, the problem is acceleration isnt smooth, i need to press hard the gas pedal, when accelerating from lower speed i could feel the shifting of gears and also at certain speed i can feel vibration of gas pedal, with these problems i took it to the dealer , he said tires are overinflated and they adjusted the tire pressure and re balance the tires, but i still have same proble, some body please help me what this problem could be and what is the best way to deal with this, thanks a lot for your time
    Every car has it's own feel. And gas pedal feel is a big part of it. Quite possibly it is just a matter of getting used to something different than you had before?

I have an Accord, Odyssey and and Acura TL. The TL drives much differently than the Odyssey, even though they have essentially the same engine and tranny (the Accord doesn't really count since it is a stick).

You also tend to "feel" the drivetrain a little more in a Honda than in some other cars, especially a 4 cyl automatic.

I would say go back to the dealer and test drive another used one like yours to compare. If they are the same, then you can pretty much assume it is the way they are supposed to be.

I completely agree with post 4609. Ask to drive another one and compare.
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    2006 accord ex-l, 4 cyl, 5 spd auto.

thanks in advance to any kind soul who'll tell me what the spec torque value is for this model.

i've heard from a couple respected tire dealers ( retail ) that with alloys to come back to have them retorqued after 50-100 miles. Question: do you back off the lugs a little before retorquing to spec or just torque 'em from where ever they are positioned at that time? dumb question i know but i want to do it right and to do it myself since a bad experience with local dealer who tightened them so much, come spring i had to stand and bounce on the lug wrench for all 20 nuts to break 'em free. i specifically asked them to set spec torque before they started.
    they charged for this and i wasn't aware of their screwup til months later.
    i was po'd and passed the word at all opportunity.
    thanks for your patience.
    Dennis
  • amygdalaamygdala Posts: 6
    thanks a lot john,
  • mark4490mark4490 Posts: 16
    It sounds like there's something wrong with your car.

The tranny in the Accord should be very smooth and linear. In my 2004 V6 Accord, if I'm going very slow I can feel it when the tranny shifts from 1st to 2nd. If I'm accelerating, then it's seamless and I can't feel anything. I know when it's shifting only because of the sounds from the engine and tranny.

The Accord has a drive-by-wire throttle. Meaning that there isn't any direct hydraulic connection from the engine to the gas pedal which can provide feedback. So you shouldn't feel anything from the gas pedal.

Some other folks have commented that you should test drive another car to compare. I agree. My take is that salespeople and mechanics will always say there's nothing wrong even if there is something obviously wrong when there's an incentive. Likewise, they'll tell you your car is going to fall apart and you're going to die in it if they want to sell you something.
  • mark4490mark4490 Posts: 16
    80 lb/ft, don't bother backing off before torquing

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=107

I've heard the same thing from tire-dealers about coming back to get them re-torqued, but I've never heard the same thing after getting my tires rotated (regular service) by the dealer. I've never gone back and I've never had a wheel fall off.

The common complaint I've heard is that the tire shop guys generally use an impact wrench for tightening, even on alloys and when you tell them to do it by hand. A friend with an Audi A6 has some plastic part (?) on his wheels that the guys at Sears destroyed when they use the impact wrench. :mad:
  • corbscorbs Posts: 1
    2003 accord started this morning fine went to start in afternoon just a clicking sound. power on dash seems to be fluctuate.
    I'll assume you've already checked the battery? Just because it started fine this morning doesn't mean it had another start left in it.
    I got a Problem i took my accord in for service and the problem was i heard groaning form the pulleys now before this in the winter time i heard sqealing from the pulleys. So they claimed they made the repair now for a couple of days no sound then i heard the sqealing im like now what. So it went away so today rather this morning i hear whining sound as i am driving in the street or when i come to a stop but as i turn the steering wheel it go' and comes but still whines. Now when i took it in i was under warranty now im out only left pwertrain, and tranny warranty any advive what could br wrong. And i really do not want to go back to the buttholes who claimed they fixed it will powertrain help me out if i go somwhere else? they said they put a new shim kit on to stop the groaning from the pulleys and said it was a tsb on it but i researched THERE IS NOT ONE OR GUYS IS IT i believe since i was at the threshold of being out of warrnty they knew they could jerk me help guys. ps this whining sound was not doing this when i brought in the 1st time.
  • buyahomebuyahome Posts: 26
    The squealing you heard was probably from a dry belt. The quick fix is to spray a little lubricant on the belt (known as belt dressing). This generally does the trick, however sometimes it (the squealing) comes back. If it is a groaning noise, that sounds like a pump. In a GM car or a CHRYSLER...it is common. But a HONDA? Ask the dealer to check it out and sometimes they will offer you a courtesy repair, especially if it was just in the shop. Good luck with it. I have always found our local dealer to be helpful and more than fair!
    Since you said you still have powertrain warranty, I'm assuming you have a 2006-2007 model with the 5/60k powertrain warranty. Is it a 4-cylinder or V6? The pulleys should be covered by the 5/60k.

The fact that they have your problem documented before the warranty was up is a good thing. The dealer gets paid whether or not the work is under warranty, so I doubt they were jerking you around (for that purpose anyway). You should take the car back to them if it is having the same issue, whether or not it is currently under the powertrain warranty shouldn't matter, since they didn't fix the issue the first time.
    I got a V-6 also if i need a Pwer steering pump is thats covered under 5yr-60k power train?? This is what happens: As i sit for a sec then i turn on the air when its on or not about a min i drove off then as i reached the street the whining starts then i turn the wheel it goes and comes but the sounds is still there the power sterring fluid is full. At the dealership they said they repaired something "timing something at that time i heard groaning from the pulleys so guys help me me out thanks. I got like 36100 miles on it, now if i go to another dealership will all this be covered under pwer train this reason i want go to another dealership is EDUCATION!! some of these guys do not know nothing they try to fix one thing and another thing happens i do not need the headaches hell honda huh? what to do? guys.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    Don't want to beat a dead horse about the antifreeze thing, but I did not get a chance to go to the Honda dealer over the weekend like I had hoped, and now still find myself needing some antifreeze.

I just went to the prestone web site and they claim their extended life antifreeze is ok for all makes and all models. They specifically list Honda and specifically say that it does not cause premature water pump wear. They say compatible with all aluminum engines etc. etc. Outlined in the following video.

http://www.prestone.com/hero/pop.php

Are they really lying?

I want what is best for the car, but if best means 1 or 2% (or even 10%) better I don't really care. If it means the difference between normal water pump life and failing in a year or two then I certainly want in. BTW I used Prestone in my Acura Integra (1990 model) from 1992 until present. Never had a water pump fail, but did replace it as a precaution in 1999 when the timing belt was changed the first time.

Why would Prestone Ignore Honda and not make it compatible? Of course I can be my own devils advocate and say that by the time your car has had the water pump fail you may not even own it, or think about Prestone, and they are counting on that. Does seem a little cynical though.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 818
    Water pump components on Hondas are not unique to Honda.

My guess the issue is with the compatibility of the coolant itself. If your going to do a total replacement, then I doubt using any extended use coolant would be wrong.

Just my opinion.

Mrbill
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    The original battery in my Accord 03EXV6 went dead last week.
    No power on the dash.
    Just might be the battery.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I think your problem is an O-ring at one of the power steering hose ends. I'm trying to find the TSB for you.
    Here's a copy of it. From what I hear, there is a new improved o-ring. If they change it, using the same o-ring, the problem may come back. Good luck

Ok just left the dealer and the are keeping it i raised you know what with them they heard 2 things. They are putting a new pump on check this out right where the timing chain is at next to the pump as it was running you heard a sound like chuckle. Imagine a chain and its enclosed and it got backed up thats what i heard Also they heard the whine also when drove in and they said whats that. Now i was not techincal in high school but having a ford, gm, autos i would be a tech myself with all the problems i had but honda but i went to them earlier this morning rather yesterday and we cannot hear it it was BS. What really pissed me was it it was the same thing hell worse. Anyway getting off course here if they do a new pump will that fix it also & what's the chuckle coming form timing chain enclosure which they said they put a new shim kit on to align all the pulleys. To me made a situation worse what you guys think. thank alot for all the help now and in the future.
    I've never heard anything about any "shim kit" to align pulleys. :confuse: I've also heard of dealerships changing the power steering pump (not cheap) only to have the problem return. Have no idea what could be making that sound under the timing belt cover. I would have the o-ring and fluid changed, and hope for the best. Frankly, it sounds like you need to find a new dealership to bring the car to. From the very little experience I have with my local dealership, they are total dufuses too. Luckily I have only needed their service once in 18 years.
    They put a new pump on just thinking they lied about putting a shim kit on see these techs AT ALL MAKES i know they do not use the info they went to school for. The tsb above whole nine they put on now i have not heard nothing not looking for it neither. Its pain going to get your auto fixed under warranty. Got to do brakes the rear though i got like 36k on it.Is it time to change tranny fluid? ps terring got changed yesterday in march im trading out for a 09. As far as maintenance what will i have to do between now and then thanks guys.
  • michael704michael704 Posts: 1
    I had 75k mi service done to my 03 Accord EXL-V4 at the dealer including a transmission fluid change and was told the trans. is leaking fluid and needs a new Torque Converter Seal. I have not noticed any fluid in my garage and have not had any recurrent shifting problems. They advised that the fluid was blown back all over the transmission so finding the leak was difficult and that was the explanation as to why I haven't seen any evidence of a leak.

The dealer wants over $700 to replace the seal. The seal is only about $15, but it's an all day job.

I found a Tech. Svc. Bulletin about this problem but no evidence of a recall.

This repair seems quite significant for a Honda with 76k mi. What are your thoughts?

Given the problems with the V6 transmissions and the TSB, do you think Honda will supplement the cost of this repair?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854

.....Given the problems with the V6 transmissions and the TSB, do you think Honda will supplement the cost of this repair?

Looking at the Honda TSB (08-020 04/12/2008) currently atop my desk, we see:

".....OUT OF WARRANTY: any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office........"

You have a real point (given the history here). It's a start............

best, ez....