Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,452
    can't answer your detailed questions (need a shop manual for that, or your friend google), but as to plug and play? That goes back to how expensive the part is, and how easy it is to change. And how reluctant you are to do any other work.

an '04? Certainly could be time to replace the plugs. Why not pull one and see how it looks? If you aren't comfortable doing that, then I would say take it to a pro, and have them do a full diagnostic before you dive into replacing parts.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Posts: 293
    edited January 2012
    It is preposterous to state that using your parking brakes warps your rotors. I have rear discs, have used my parking brake every time I have parked the car for over 140,000 miles and am still on my original unwarped rotors.
  • biomanbioman Posts: 172
    I have observed a problem with my 04 LX V6 Accord Coupe. During the first couple of stops, starting from a cold start, the brakes do not seem to "grab" as well as they do after the car has been driven for a while. I have replaced the front & rear rotors and the bake pads, bled the brake fluid and still the problem persists. The car just turned 80K on the odometer. When the car was new I had to learn to "be gentle" while braking because the brakes were very sensitive to what I felt was normal brake pedal pressure. After replacing the read pads, at around 15K, because they had worn down to minimal thickness, the sensitivity of the brake pedal seemed to become "normal".

Anyone else have similar issues??
  • tom017tom017 Posts: 16
    I have a 2005 Accord LX 4 cylinder with the 5-speed automatic. It only has 30,000 miles on it.
    I had the recall done in fall regarding the transmission programming.
    Now I'm noticing every time the temperature is below freezing, the first shift from 1st to 2nd gear is very sluggish. It's not a slip, but it's an uncomfortable sluggishness. This car NEVER EVER missed a shift since I bought it new. The dealer said the recall shouldn't have anything to do with the shifting but suggested replacing the transmission fluid. I had the fluid drained and replaced. The new fluid reduced the sluggishness, but still the first shift from 1st gear to 2nd is sluggish. When the car is warmed up, it runs perfectly fine and shifts even smoother with the new fluid. Has anybody heard of this sluggish shift between 1st and 2nd before? I hope the transmission isn't going at 30,000 miles---C'mon this is a HONDA, it shouldn't be doing that!!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,832
    Could be normal for below freezing temperatures. You might consider using synthetic transmission oil.

MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC

REDLINE is another company that makes this type of oil.

• temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    This is a normal thing for a lot of transmissions when the weather is below freezing. The transmission has to warm up and the fluid has to heat up. The fluid is thick when it is that cold. You don't have a problem.
  • 42,000 miles on car.. seems like when it idles it is noisier/rougher than it used to be.. RPM at 7 to 800. Is this normal? Been like this for at least 15,000 miles.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854
    edited February 2012
    ........for the J30 series V-6 using OEM factory Iridium plugs.............

Given:

1. The NGK plugs special thread plating obviates anti-sieze goo

2. The COP ignition system/fine wire plug design permits extended life

3. Folks (by either design or cluelessness) are reporting impressive longevity. I have seen on various Honda websites 129,000 to 186,000 on the factory Iridium spark plugs. What is more interesting is that some of these unreal numbers are achieved without MPG drop, throwing codes, hard starting, poor idle, degraded acceleration, missing et al.......

Comments? (I'm at 114,000 and plan install new NGK Iridium #6994 circa 120,000 this summer)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    I replaced mine at 120k and the old ones looked fine still.
    ..Senor Dudley, you always make my day! Thanks. Were those plugs difficult to get free of the aluminum head at 120,000? all the best, ez....
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    They came free pretty easily.
  • Okay - -I have seen this post before. When driving on highway, the steering wheel will shake at speeds of 70MPH. It does this randomly - when it feels like it. Would appreciate if anyone has ideas as to what this is, and how to fix.

Thanks
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,452
    check the wheel balance 1st

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

It was above freezing today and it struggled to make it from first to second gear. After that, it was fine.

It has new transmission fluid in it.

This transmission was the smoothest shifting I've ever driven. It never missed a shift even in sub-zero temperatures.

I had the recall done in the fall which updated the software. Now it doesn't shift right out of first gear. I'm not happy. :mad:
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 818
    edited February 2012
    Hondas are picky when it comes with transmission fluid. Do you know that the fresh fluid is genuine Honda transmission fluid?

Mrbill
    ........unsure which transmission/recall you are addressing...........

If you mean the Honda 6-speed manual (has a clutch, right?), you might consider the GM/Delco Friction Modified SynchroMesh goo.

My 6M transmission has 47,000 miles on this fluid. No 3rd gear hesitation/popout. Not one. No TSB (worried about tech ineptitude)......

The stuff really works.

ez
    I had it replaced at the Honda dealer. They used the new Honda fluid.
    It was the recall where the software was updated on the 5 speed transmissions for 2005 Accords.

It had to do with rocking the car, which I don't do.

Now the shift points are really relaxed....in fact, too relaxed when it's cold.
  • I have a 2005 Honda Accord sedan and my trunk light doesn't turn on when the trunk is open. I checked the bulb and related fuses but it won't come on. By accident I left the trunk open while backing out of my driveway and the red light that appears on the dash board when a door is open didn't turn on. I wonder if the switch or connection is faulty? Anyone have this issue and if so what did you do to remedy it? Thanks.
  • I checked my 04 Accord and here is what I found. On the right side of the latch mechanism under the lid, you'll see a connector plugged into the mechanism, the wires trail off and into the lid. I unplugged the white connector and the light went off, plugging back in and the light's back on. You might want to check the connector to see it's properly connected. I would also guess that shorting the 2 wires in the plug will bypass the latch and light up the lamp.

Mrbill
  • teaser47401teaser47401 Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I have got the exact same problem (power windows not working, key fop not locking/unlocking, drivers side power locks not working) on my 03 Accord. Did you ever find a resolution to the issue?
  • just replying to a post from Honda about the radio going dark......... does that apply to Canada? I have a 2004 accord with 92000 km. Would greatly appreciate your help. I know the posting is old from 2007 but this could be great news. Thanks
  • woogie03woogie03 Posts: 4
    I ended up sending it to Southern Electronics in Richmond, Va. They have instructions on their site on how take remove the radio from yor Accord (very easy, just be gentle). Cost me $200 which is a lot better than the dealer. Quick turn around too. Good experience dealing with them. Www.carradio.com
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I have no idea if the radio display warranty extension applies to Canada. Sorry.
  • Honda30Honda30 Posts: 15
    I just received a coupon from my Honda dealer for a cabin air filter replacement for only $59.95.

I hope everyone here knows that you can purchase a filter for 12 to 15 dollars (you do not need a Honda brand filter) and install it in all of 5 minutes. You may get a little bit of dust on your hands.

A reasonable charge of 25 to 30 dollar for replacement by the Honda dealer would be much better for customer relations.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,832
    Well you have lower overhead than a dealer is the reason. He has to make X per hour on his line mechanics, no matter what they do. The labor rate is .4 of an hour + $21 for the part. So at the usual dealer rates these days of around $100/hr, the price makes sense.

Think of it as going to a restaurant for breakfast as opposed to you cooking it yourself.

Actually, changing that filter is probably easier than making breakfast. :P

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I see people all the time, complaining about how much dealerships charge, to do this or that. IMO, if you are too lazy or unskilled to do it yourself, you have no right to complain about how much someone else is charging to do it for you. It's like the guy I saw in a store the other day buying a lottery ticket, and complaining that it was a ripoff? He didn't have to buy one.
  • While the info stated in #5807 is true (w/regards to Southern Electronics...); what U can also do, as I found-out recently, is buy the PC board from the Honda dealer. I paid a total of $200 plus tax, of which $125 is for core charge; returnable when U bring back the defective pc (printed circuit)board.
    The instructions for installing can be gotten from the dealer or the internet...on google.
  • jcraterjcrater Posts: 1
    I changed the air filter in my daughter's 2007 Accord today. It was a bit difficult to remove the filter cover, but was even tougher to put it back. I finally removed the battery clamp and was then able to easily install the cover.

hth