Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 853
    ..........if you're looking for purchase re-validation: you've got it.

....ez....
  • Your right. This is my first Honda, and certainly will not be my last. Thanks.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    If you haven't had the radio lights fixed yet, I would contact the local dealership, and see what they have to say. The warranty was extended, but not to your mileage. If the circuit board has not been changed before, I'm sure Honda would at least pay part of the replacement.
    Changing out 3 quarts of transmission fluid will certainly NOT hurt anything, and your transmission might even shift smoother afterwards.
  • bunkie1bunkie1 Posts: 18
    My experience is about the same. I've got 118,000 miles and all I've done besides the routine maintenance and fixing my radio is replace one O2 sensor at around 40,000 miles to the tune of $40. I bet I average $40 a month with my Passat. I'm planning to swap out some ATF fluid too.
  • The car has 120,000 trouble free miles. The "BRAKE" light is on and stays on. No ABS light on at this time. The book says to check the fluid level, but that checks out ok. Any ideas? Thank you!
  • tankbeanstankbeans Posts: 585
    This may be a stupid question, and I'm sorry if it is, but is your parking brake partially engaged? I know sometimes they can be partially engaged without it looking like it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    elroy5 is right; changing your transmission fluid won't hurt anything. It will only help. I wouldn't do a transmission flush, but would do a drain and fill a couple of times, if not more (150k miles is a lot longer than it is recommended to go before changing your fluid). You should be ok otherwise, though.
    The cap for the brake fluid reseviour may have a rubber boot on it. If it does, make sure the boot is not hanging down. If the boot is hanging out a little, push it back up into the cap, and the light may go out. If this is not the problem check the brake lights to see if they are working properly.
  • I checked the cap and the brake lights - all ok. The parking brake is all the way down. The light remains on. I appreciate your ideas, any others? I hate to take it to the dealer, but would like to make sure this isn't anything serious.
    If the brake lights are working that tells me the brake light switch for the regular brake pedal is working, so that leaves the switch for the emergency brake lever. Are you sure the fluid level is high enough? Some times it doesn't have to be very low, to make the light come on. Good luck
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    A wild guess. Weak battery?
  • Brake lights are working normal, and the brake fluid level and rubber boot is all in good shape. I'm guessing that it could be the switch that you suggest for the e-brake lever. I was looking at the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, and it seems possible. Does anyone know if this switch is easily accessable?

As far as the weak battery idea, the car cranks just fine with no noticeable battery issues. Could that still be the problem? It is the original battery. Again, I bought the car new in November of 2003 - It has been very well maintained and has 120,000 miles.

Thanks for your input - I do appreciate it!
    You have to remove the center console to test the parking brake switch.
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    I would check the 2-wire connector to the brake fluid reservoir
    for a loose connection before messing with the e-brake
    switch.
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Posts: 233
    Not really a question here, but more info on my 2004 Accord 4 cyl and what I do usually... I thought I'd post and hear some thoughts on from whoever has them.

So my 2004 Accord is now at 112,679 miles. I bought it back in April, 2004 so a little over 4 years now, averaging 25k-ish a year in mileage.

Nothing too interesting in the beginning... at 10k miles, $81.75 for a 10k service at the dealer (oil change/tire rotation/checks - in retrospect, a terrible waste of money)... at 18k, a jiffy lube visit w/ penzoil 5W20 for $35.. at 23k miles, a $19 oil change at Dealer...

At 28k miles, I bought the lifetime alignment from Firestone for $169-$50 (they gave me a $50 discount since I had lifetime alignment on my previous IS 300 and it got totalled right after). They would also do the courtesy checks for free that Honda would charge me for. Still didn't like paying $20 for the tire rotation here though.

At 42k miles, I started synthetic oil in my car and started doing a better job of going 10k miles in between oil changes like the manual says to do. (Although my first purchase was Mobil 1 5W30 and looking at the manual, should have been 5W20). I took the oil to the dealer and got the oil change done for $11.81. My next visit to the dealer at 52k miles was $16.56 for the oil change for some reason, but still not too bad.

The highlight of my Accord ownership came for me at 57k miles when I popped a tire on a curb. I already had two of my rear tires going bad anyways so when I saw a rebate on buying 4 bridgestone tires at the time, I decided to replace all 4 and just keep one as back up. I researched on Tire Rack and saw the Potenza G009s were getting good reviews. I got my local Firestone to match the price of Tire RackTaking the price of the tire down from $95.99 x 4 tires = 383.96 - $91.96 = fees = $309.80. And I got a $50 rebate for all 4 tires. I took these tires down to Wal Mart and mounted them for $55.85 total and the best perk was lifetime rotation and balance.

Since then, pretty much every 10k miles, I follow the same routine. I buy Mobil 1 oil, get the oil change done at the dealer for $15ish, go across the street to Wal-mart, get my tires rotated and balanced for free, and then go to Firestone, and get my lifetime alignment done.

I recently got a card in the mail from Firestone making me a Complete Rewards Gold member. Some of the stuff is kind of decent though - free Tire Rotation, Electrical System Check, Alignment Check, and Brake Inspection. I might consider taking Wal-mart out of my routine now and just paying ($20?) to have my tires balanced with the free rotation.

Also, I spent some time with the manual today - your'e supposed to do the oil replacement every 10k and the filter every 20k. I didn't realize that. I could have maybe saved some bucks if I said specifically what I wanted, but then again, I wonder if the oil change place would be good about letting me know that they in fact replaced the filter.

Any thoughts on anything?
    I would let them change the filter each time they change the oil. Other than that, I'd like to commend you on maintaining your car. Have you had any major problems with it, in those 112,679 miles?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I have the Potenza G009s on my 1996 Accord (haven't replaced the OEM tires on my '06 yet at only 35k miles). I like them a lot. How do you think they compare to the Michelins? Quieter/Louder? Grippier? Better in Wet or Dry?

Remember anything? :)
    I really have no complaints on the G009s. I think they are excellent tires... and I WANT to say that before I got them on my 2004 Accord 4cl Sedan EX Navi, I wanted to replace my OEM tires (Which I think were Michelins) because I was unhappy with them. But it's hard for me to say why... However, I do remember going through the reviews on Tire Rack and the people who had gotten the G009s were raving about them pretty hard over the OEMs.

So though I myself can't really give too detailed a comparison between the G009 and my OEMs, I do know a lot of others had and they were favorable towards the G009s.
    No problems really at all Elroy. My wife has a brand new 2007 Honda Accord she bought in late September, 2007 and it does feel a lot smoother.. I think my 2004 Accord, though pretty well maintained, can't really go back to that level.. old age is old age (plus, I do hit a lot of curbs here and there like an idiot)
  • albell2albell2 Posts: 1
    I have 2003 Accord with the same problem recently. Any idea what you're going to do in order to repair the system?
    It's hard to justify paying $3k for an accessary to a car that is paid in full. What exactly is the head unit the dealer advise you was broken?