Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,371
    >You took a gamble and you lost!
    If I bought a Ford, GM, or Chrysler I would agree

The Hondas lines have had transmission problems for more than a decade. They've had to extend warranty to 100K mi. on many models. You bought a known problem car with trans problems.
  • webby1webby1 Posts: 209
    To All :

Wheel alignment was out on 3 wheels, rear right really bad.....great Hunter machine brought all to specs...it was intersting to watch.
    Air pressure was fine in all tires .
    Took it for a drive with service mgr and car still pulled to the left.
    Went back and switched front tires...left to the right side and right to the left side.
    Took the car for test drive again and now pulls to the left side.
    The verdict as suspected.....crappy Michelins Pilot HX MXM4.
    Planning to replace with BF Goodrich Traction T/AV 91V, had great luck with these or Bridgestone Turenza LSV

Also, first tank gave me 450 km ( 64.7 l tank )....I am averaging 650 km on my 330i ( 63 l tank ) both cars are rated approx same for gas consumption.
    Service mgr drives same car but a Coupe V6 and best so far he got is 500 km.....what is going on ????????
    Regards,
    Webby

P.S. Wife loves the car !
  • 06nighthawkv606nighthawkv6 SE TexasPosts: 55
    Hey guys,

I just bought an automatic V6 sed and I was reading some of your problems and wanted to say I too had a pull to the right on my Accord V6 but rather then checking alignment, the dealer just needs to switch the front two tires that are on your car and see if the pull happens the opposite way. If it does, whichever way it is pulling is the bad tire. This is such a common problem that the dealer actually stocks extra crappy Michilins Pilot Hx MXM4 and all other Michilins so they can "replace" them. Do not ask to get your alignment done if this happens because you will waste the dealer's money paying his Tech to do a unnecessary and time-consuming job. BTW, the dealer ain't gonna do it even if you ask but don't waste your energy over this despite your enthusiasm for your new car. I am coming from a V4 Integra so I am not worried about any sluggish down shifting of this transmission and infact, I am praying to the Honda gods to keep my tranny and everything else safe from early malfunction. I would advise you all to do the same becasue you know that if you wanted a strong V6 (counting the Tranny) you would buy a Nissan V6 cuz they practically "specialize" in strong V6 engines. Hondas, at the moment, doesn't specialize in anything except maybe fit n finish despite historically being great at 4 cyl vehicles. If you run your V6 like a V4 while in traffic and like a Prius by letting off the gas completely when you see a red light in the distance, we hopefully won't have a Tranny (nor brake) problem. Pray hard! :sick:
  • bmr123bmr123 Posts: 60
    I meant the entire radio is sluggish in all modes xm, regular radio, cd. Changing stations, increasing or decreasing volume, changing mode, etc. Just thought it was strange that a 2005 accord would have a weak battery as compared to my 2000 accord that never had any of these issues even with my 600 watt amp.
  • daavodaavo Posts: 8
    I haven't posted here in a while but Ive had luck before so here it goes. I ran out of gas yesterday (first time I've ever done that but stupid nonetheless) in my 03 accord. I didnt think I was out of gas because the check engine light had just gone on so I attempted to restart the car 3x (thinking maybe it was bad gas or something) and it started all three times but would stop immediately. I called honda care and they brought out 2 gallons of gas. It started right up but now the engine light is on....not the "check engine" or whatever that thing is that comes on every 10k. Any help would be appreciated.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Your dealer's service department can "clear the code" in a few minutes. That will shut off the light.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    You purchased a vehicle, (V6 Honda with an automatic transmission), that has had a problem back to the late 90s in this area, and you didn't purchase an extended Honda warranty on this vehicle? If you had purchased an extended warranty, not only would the trans have been covered, but other components would have been covered as well! The Honda Accord also has a problem with the AC Compressor failing at about 52,000 miles. Are you going to ask for a "good will" repair on that unit too? I don't think you are being fair to your dealer, Honda or other Honda customers who have purchase the extended warranty. If you want security, purchase an extended warranty, keep up-to-date with the required service, and when something fails it will be replaced without a problem. I make it a point to have the automatic trans fluid changed once a year as part of general maintenance. The Honda dealer performs this service, and uses Honda fluid. ------ Best regards. ---Dwayne
  • I have an 06 Accord, and I noticed similar behavior in the cold weather. I don't think that it's your radio acting slowly; rather I think it's just that the LCD screen doesn't update as quickly in really cold weather.

Try it out with the trip odometer as well. That takes a long time to update between clicks in cold weather too.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    yeah, in engineering school, noticed the same with a calculator. ;)
  • Susan, I have the exact same problem with my '06 Accord V6 shifting roughly. I just got it one week ago (December 10th), and a few days later I noticed that the transmission was shifting roughly. From what I've been reading here, it seems like a common problem with Accords. However, I wonder if its a problem with some transmissions and not others...so in other words, is it possible I could get Honda to replace the transmission and maybe this time I'll get a "better" one. Who knows? If 10% of their transmissions are "lemons", I'll take my chances with a new one. I'll call the dealer and find out.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    What you have described is absolutely NOT a common problem. Accord automatic transmissions are noted for their smooth operation.
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    Honda's automatic transaxles have been noted here, elsewhere, and in print over a decade and a half for their "crisp" (aka, harsh) shift characteristics. Starting with MY 2003, Honda toned it down some with a reformulated transmission fluid ("Z-1"), but they're still not in the same shift-quality league with the competition's automatics - and unless Honda goes to a planetary-type AT design which requires significantly lower hydraulic working pressures, I question whether their ATs ever will be.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    I agree. I drive an 02 Accord 4cyl with 4spd A/T+OD. I drive it in lots of stop-n-go traffic on 285 in ATL on a daily basis. I experience smooth shifts and no hesitation.

Haefr, what sorts of "crispness" should I be experiencing?
    I have a 2006 Accord Lx V6 and I also feel the hesitation in deceleration like the brakes are being applied when its slowing down with no foot on the gas or brakes and you're just coasting and coming to a stop. You mentioned the dealer said it was normal and I also thought it was just a "feature" of the V6 and its performance (or by-product of) but am not 100% sold on the idea after reasing your post. I bet my dealer will say the same thing, that it's normal, and since it only happens in deceleration, I am not annoyed by it and infact it helps the car slow down without applying the brakes which is an actual plus! Now I have not noticed any harshes in shift between 20 and 25 mph as someone else(female) has pointed out here and I know I have applied the gas lovingly at that speed a lot since I only have about 425 miles and am breaking in this car. I wonder if I should atleast inquire with the dealer about the harsh deceleration. I am certainly going to inquire about a slow crank that I feel is happening but I hear elsewhere on other boards that a slow crank is happening to other Accords (including I4) and it could be a "feature" of the DBW (new?) but again I am not sure. Is anyone having a slow crank? The way I describe is it takes like 5 to 6 cranking sound-bites to start the car instead of maybe 2 to 3.
  • I have a 2004 Accord EXV6. Just did the recommended 30K service and Honda tells me that my rear disk brake pads need to be replaced. I looked myself, and sure enough, they are quite low, though not into the metal or anything.

Since I drive mostly highway miles, my first thought was that somehow my handbrake had been on for a time and I'd missed it. I checked the function of the dash light and found that if the lever is even one click up, the light on the dash is on, and I dont think I would have missed that.

The service advisor gave me some explantion that city driving will sometimes cause premature rear wear, but that does not apply in my case. Any chance that something like the ABS system might have caused the premature wear?

Just looking for answers since in my own experience the fronts go way before the backs and my fronts still have alot of meat on them. The handbrake explantion is the most plausible, but I dont see that has having happened here...

Thanks for any insights/experiences you may have.
    Hello,

Just an update: I just reported that the Accord might have a slow crank but actuallly its an extended crank and not a slow crank that is what my purported malady is. I'm "going in" on Monday to my service dept and have them check the fuel etc. It's not a slow crank because a slow crank would be the actual cranking would be longer but an extended crank is it just that.. takes extra cranks to start and not necessarily longer cranks. Meanwhile, I am going to try this:
    Put the car in the On position for about a second or two before you start it to see if it needs time for the fuel pressuring to take place. You know that sound you hear like a Whiz boom and a click before you start the car? That's the sounds of the fuel being added before you start the car. Also I am going to try to put the gas cap to one click when I shut it as opposed to two clicks. Anyone else had this extended crank and know what the fix was?
    I trust my dealer ( Service mgr ) I am working with....I have driven Honda's since 1975....drove his car V6 coupe and same thing.....he tells me that they did have a few problems with V6 tranny's mostly in Odyssey and a few in Accords V6's but not for the last couple years.
    The I4 has been bullet proof.
    I am not concerned about it since the warranty is 5 yrs or 100,000 km and as you said it really is not a problem.
    However there are couple other things that bother me....took the car today for lengthy drive on the highway approx 100 km and drove at speed between 100 and 130 km, there appears to be a slight vibration on the gas pedal at around 120 km/hr.
    I can not tell if it is from the tranny, engine, bad gas or ??? ....it does not bother my wife but it bugs me.
    Also, the mileage appears bad....do not have the numbers yet since the car has only 600 km....please comment on your mileage.
    So no problem starting...first crank
    Will be talking to Honda first thing Monday morning and will post.
    Regards,
    Webby
    P.S. Wife loves the car !
  • ramidaramida Posts: 67
    "...there appears to be a slight vibration on the gas pedal at around 120 km/hr...Also, the mileage appears bad...."

I have a 2006 Accord SE Automatic with 700 miles and here's a list of my observations:

o Occasional vibration is gas pedal, especially in hilly drive

o Weak acceleration in short-ramp fast freeways (--I was able to remedy this by using D3 gear initially and then at the right moment shift to D; now I'm also incorporating the "2" gear when making sharp turns that go uphill, shifting from D to D3 then "2", then D3, D depending on the slope; yeah this automatic transmission can be operated as a "stick" without having to worry about depressing a clutch!)

o Low MPG in mixed city-highway (60%-40%) driving -- only averaging 23.9 miles per gallon!

o Obnoxious engine sound when running between 40 to 50 miles on a hilly road (is this what they call "gear hunting"?)

o Noticeable "rough" auto transmission shifting, especially the first drive in the morning.

Not very impressed, ramida
  • .....he tells me that they did have a few problems with V6 tranny's mostly in Odyssey and a few in Accords V6's but not for the last couple years.

Sorry to tell you this but your dealer is pacifying you by saying what you want to hear. As far as I know, your car has the same V6 tranny as the 03'-05'models. Many people including myself reporting tranny failure at 50k. Do a search in this forum or google it for yourself.
  • oldjoeoldjoe Posts: 132
    I believe the 2003 Accord introduced an all-new 5-speed automatic transmission.
    I believe that 5-sp AT, new in the Accords in 2003, had been available previously in Acura TLs since those Acuras were also part of the recall for the 2nd gear overheating failure that could lead to total front wheel lockup and loss of steering control. A lot of Acura TL owners were, and still are, hopping mad - sweating over even with the "fix", their transmissions will still be subject to premature failure. Only more time'll tell whether Honda finally got this particular problem behind them. At least Honda has a reputation for sticking like a leach on a problem 'till they're confident it's really fixed.
  • My 02 accord is approaching the 90K miles, and therefore the 90 K service is coming soon. Most dealers in the Dc area are asking $400+ for the service. My question is: Is it better to take the car to the dealer for this service or can I just take it to a local shop ( although I don't trust local shops too much). Or should I just follow the Owner's manual, although people say the Manufacturer suggested maintenance is the minimum that could be done. Is it true ? I am a believer in prev maint but I don't want to help the dealer make that boat payment of his/hers :-)
    any feedback is appreciated
    I own a Honda Accord and a Ford Mustang. Both vehicles are serviced by the dealer every 3,000 miles. I also believe in high quality preventive maintenance, using original parts and fluids. Preventive maintenance has a price tag. If you have an extended warranty, and you have all your service performed at the dealer, all your service records are in one location should a problem arise. -----Best regards. -----Dwayne ;)
    I've always felt the "take-yer-money-ships" promote their padded make-work "service" to enhance their bottom line - any benefit to the car or its owner is purely coincidental. I go strictly by the owner's manual, but always use the "severe service" schedule. That's always been preventive maintenance enough for my cars.
  • joe122joe122 Posts: 68
    For an '05 Accord LX automatic, is 2,600 to 2,700 RPM's correct for 5th gear at or just above 80mph?

Thanks,
    Joe
  • those are two interesting different views [haefr] & [djm2] . I got a quote from a local dealer for the 90K service @ $470. They included (7) Replace items , (24) Inspect items, (1) Rotate and (2) rotate items. Here is the Replaces:
    - replace engine oil
    - replace oil filter
    - replace oil drain washer
    - replace transmission fluid
    - replace engine air filter
    - replace distributor ignition cap and rotor
    - replace brake fluid
    - replace spark-plugs
    - replace HVAC filters

is this worth $470 ?
  • The OEM Michelins on my 2004 EX Sedan are absolutely the worst tires I've ever had. Horrible wet traction and cornerning.

I'd like to replace them but am a bit confused as to what to get. Anyone here replaced their OEM tires yet? Not interested in plus sizing; just want to stick with the original size.

Over in the Tire Rack forum, a Tire Rack representative stated that Honda only requires H rated tires for 2003+ generation Accords, not V rated like I have now. Can anyone confirm that? There are many more choices available in H rated tires, and at better prices too.

Just wondering. Thanks.
  • I replaced my OEM last year ( Turanza EL41) which were so so tires. Now I have BF Goodrich Traction T/A H which are a better improvement and are @ a reasonable price too. Expect the MPG to go down a bit with these tires though. I also recommend Bridgestone RE950s.
    What size are your BF Goodrich....any problems balancing and tracking ?
    Thanks,
    Webby
    I have the oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles, and I have the automatic trans fluid changed in the Accord once a year. At 90,000 miles, I would think that you would want someone who knows the vehicle, to check & inspect some items on the vehicle. YES, I think this service is "ok"! Isn't your life worth $470.00? :confuse: