Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• It has less than 64K. The dealer said the bushings had dry rotted. That tells me they self destructed because they were not made of quality material.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    So, one repair in 7 years constitutes a poor-quality car? I politely disagree. Did you get a second opinion on the car before you let your dealer replace them at that cost?

I'm not trying to argue here; I actually recently sold my Accord because of niggling quality issues. Luckily, all were covered under warranty (a 2006 2.4L EX Sedan).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    I would consider these "expendable" parts that deteriorate over time and age on most cars. Besides, the dealer has no expertise to judge the chemical composition of rubber parts or their quality versus other cars. It wasn't a very helpful remark and only serves to undermine your confidence in what seems to have been a very good car for you overall.

• Uh, that was two repairs, the bushings and the serpentine belt. Those were not the first repairs. My Infinity G20 had no repairs for 11 years and 110,000 miles.
  • " Besides, the dealer has no expertise to judge the chemical composition of rubber parts or their quality versus other cars." Huh? The dealer cited dry rot. I judged the parts to be inferior to what should have been. Sure parts deteriorate over time. By my judgement, the time frame was too short. I expected better from Honda. As I said, my Infinity G20 went 11 years and 110K miles with no repairs. Is that too high a bar for Honda?
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I'd have to say that your expectations for bushings and serpentine belts are too high. These are just normally deteriorating parts, like paint on a house or the soles on your shoes. If anything, I'd have to say your serpentine belt was overdue, or at least, due, for replacement.

What I can say as criticism of your dealer or whoever services your car, is that both these items should have been noticed long before they got to the disintegration stage.

As for your G20, I'd bet that a good mechanic could have examined it closely and found items that were overdue for replacement, but just didn't break altogether during your tenure.

Every car is a little different in how it is used, what it is exposed to,things like that. Age, environment, road conditions, climate---all of this affects why one car gets 64K on bushings and another 94K.

That is, after all, almost 3 times around the earth!

Visiting Host

• I have to say your expectations for bushings and serpentine belts are too low. These parts should last at least ten years and 100,000 miles. This is my first and last Honda. Toyotas and Hondas from 15 to 20 years ago did not have these problems. Fords and Chevys did. You have your opinion. I have mine. I still maintain my high expectations. You can have your low expectations.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I've always heard belts should be replaced after 7 years or 100k miles (timing belts, serpentine, etc) because they'll crack/rot. That's why I'm not surprised by your replacement. The serpentine belt I don't consider a repair, I consider it maintenance. Your G20 went past due and nobody caught it; congrats.
  • I just spoke to the guy who bought my G20. His daughter drove it another 30K miles and the original serpentine belt had not failed. That made 140K miles with the Nissan belt. Maybe "a good mechanic" could have noticed that it was toast seventy thou miles before. Or maybe a quality belt could have lasted. Or maybe,

I assume you are a Honda employee and have to defend the brand. If you really want to defend the brand, encourage your employers to not let quality control slip.

Ford or Hyudai? Or, four times around the earth?
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    I am in sales and have a '07 Accord. In 34 months I have put 86,000 miles on it. It has been FLAWLESS. (I did have to lube the rubber weather stripping around the windows due to rattles).

At 100K, the water pump, belt, and fluid levels will be changed. The belt could go longer, but it's maintenance.
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    The windows rattling started in 2003 model. After 4 years, Honda still couldn't find the way to fix it.
  • Honda doesn't make serpentine belts, so how can you blame them for how long the belt lasts? Their application isn't anything different then other auto manufacturers.

BTW, My 04 Accord still has the factory belt and it has the printing "made in the USA"

Mrbill
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    Not making excuses for Honda, but the light Japanese grease they sell will quiet the rattles when applied once a year......
    edited October 2010
    Belts and hoses and wipers and bushings are all maintenance items. They are what we call "expendables", and mileage is only one factor in the rate of wear.

The brand of car is quite irrelevant to me.

I routinely replace belts and hoses in my cars, based strictly on time and mileage. It's not worth it to me to risk an engine for a few hundred dollars.

Battery hits 5 years? Gone. Belts and hoses hit 60K? Gone. Wipers? Once a year, they're all replaced. Brakes? 3/4 wear, they're out. Tires? 4/32nd, they're gone. Coolant? Every two years. Brake fluid? Every two years. A "nut and bolt" all-around- the- car tightening? Every two years.

Given the tremendous good luck I've had with my cars, I'm staying with the "pro-active" approach rather than the re-active one (i.e., fix it before it breaks, not when it breaks).

Is my cost per mile higher than most people's? Probably. Will they break down more often or lose their car sooner? Probably. Machines are by nature unpredictable.

Oh, I don't wax my cars though. I mostly care about reliability, because it's so important to my livelihood.

• wise1wise1 Posts: 90
    Yes, it is too high for Honda and just about everybody else. They don't make cars out of Quality parts anymore, its all about Quantity. More cars to sell more money to steal!!!! Rarely does a vehicle go 100K miles without some kind of problem, if you're blessed it will be minor if not it will be major.Way too many major problems in all vehicle lines. I researched several years before my last purchase and I knew I would likely have a problem and it showed up within 79xx miles. So count your blessings if you DO GET 100K miles without a major problem!!! :shades:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    I have owned many Honda's and Toyota's and never had a major problem. 225k on my Integra 145k on my 1st gen Odyssey, 95k on my 2007 Accord. To be honest I think the accessory belts on the Integra are original (I have replaced the timing belt twice because I can't see it and it would be bad to have it break). I look at them every time I change the oil and if they are not cracked or worn they stay on.

This is in SD though - not much pollution to eat at the rubber.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    As I said, my Infinity G20 went 11 years and 110K miles with no repairs. Is that too high a bar for Honda?

If your Infinity was so great, why didn't you buy another one, instead of the Honda? I would bet that not all G20 owners were as lucky as you, and actually had a problem or two before the 100k mile mark. My first Accord (92) was so good to me (12 years 140k miles), I bought a new one in 03. The 03 has been just as reliable as the first, to this point (7 years 81k miles). People claim Honda's reliability has gone down, but I don't see it from my view. The 03 has been just as reliable, and is bigger and better than the 92 was, in just about every respect. By the way, my original serpentine belt and compliance bushings are still doing great. Honda owners get lucky too.
  • daneeldaneel Posts: 19
    Could not agree more, Elroy5, my sentiments exactly. Like your 03 Accord our 04 EX V6 and 2008 LXP are absolutely rock solid and, thus far, gave us a combined almost 90,000 trouble free and highly enjoyable miles. Like I said previously, I will buy a new Accord without any hesitation.
    edited October 2010
    Perhaps the fact that modern cars are so good and offer us so many choices, has raised our expectations such very high levels that our chances these days from complete satisfaction are very slim?

You know, in the old days Honda made a Civic, an Accord and maybe (?) a Prelude around that time. That was it. And for 1979 or so, the Civic was a pretty good car---but today we wouldn't consider buying a brand new 1979 Civic--we'd think it unsophisticated, noisy and unreliable. Torque steer was really bad, and you had to manually shift the automatic transmission to get into high gear. It was so tinny you could total it with your bare hands. It had tiny tires and cloth seats and had trouble getting up steep hills.

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I think people always compare their current car, with the best car they've ever owned. The love for that "best car I ever had" clouds the few times it did have issues, to the point where it becomes flawless over time.