Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mr_gonemr_gone Posts: 50
    Not sure, but I think if you go diving in a car, it could hurt its brakes. Being fully submerged in water isn't something the engineers anticipate. Just a hunch ...
  • My '03 EX-L Navi has had the occasional grinding or "notchy" feeling on the 1-2 shift almost since it was new. Took it in a few times when it was under warranty but was never able to reproduce the problem. I switched to synthetic gear oil which helped tremendously. The problem is much worse in cold weather and before the car/transmission warm up, usually the first drive of the day. Anyway, I have over 135K miles now on the original clutch and although the problem still occurs form time-to-time, the car continues to drive great. I think it may be an issue with the gear synchronizers as rev-matching makes it go away when it does occur.
  • cmigs2cmigs2 Posts: 1
    I replaced mine with Uniroyal Tiger Paws...ride is very similar, but tires cost $90 installed. Glad I made the change!
  • I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX V6 automatic , and it will crank sometimes and then it wont other times. I have checked the starter and battery . I want to check the starter cut relay , but I can't locate it under the dash relay box . Could someone please help me !!!
  • mitsu3mitsu3 Posts: 4
    So my Honda dealer told me that I need to have the starter repleced before Winter. I was quoted a price fo $725.00 plus tax. I find this rather excessive considering i just had the water pump and belt, coolant and spark plugs replace for $900.00 (I find this excessive too but what you gonna do. gotta be fixed). Is this amount about right or should I go to an indedpendent to have it replaced?
    Response much appreciated.
  • you are still going to a dealership for service.. Oh my lord. A starter for 725.. is it gold plated... find a trusted local repair guy though acquaintances... You wont believe how much money you will save.. The minute I was out of warranty I left... They wanted to charge me 100 dollars for a cabin filter.... 5 minutes of labor and 17 dollars for the filter and thats all it took for me to do.. The service department is the profit center for dealerships.. You have been providing them with lots of profit. I am ow at a wonderful local repairman who is fair and does extraordinary work..

The other question is how does Houdini know that the starter has to be replaced before winter?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 815
    edited July 2011
    You can get an original Honda starter (online) for $375, list price is $480. Remanufactured starters run around $150 but a Honda dealer probably would not install one.

I just looked at the service manual and it says the intake manifold has to be removed to gain access to the starter. I verifyied by looking at my 04 Accord and yes, the starter is behind the intake manifold. I can't tell for sure if it can be sneaked out somehow, but if it can't, then a good chunk of the $725 is going to be labor removing/replacing just the manifold. The starter only has a couple of bolts and could easly be replaced if the manifold wasn't in the way.

Mrbill
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    When the starter went on my Integra I just replaced the brushes. Didn't even have to remove the starter. It worked fine. Total cost about $20.

Don't know why people want to take the hard route all the time. Oh yeah - profit!

Be green and save money at the same time. Replace the brushes.
  • cnickiecnickie Posts: 1
    I would try a different dealership. I call 2 in my area, orange county, ca. one quoted 583.00 ther quoted 475.00 + 40.00 off coupon. Actually neg to 400.00 cash total. with genuine Honda Starter and Warranty. Call around. We have both honda serviced there on regular basis for oil change, etc. It pays in the long run.

In this Economy....CASH speaks volumes..... :)
  • No way taking your car to a dealer for routine service "pays in the long run" other than making the dealer's boat payment. You pay more per/hour for service and there is a much bigger markup on the parts. In my experience they also "offer" a lot of unnecessary services. Find yourself a good local garage and get it done there if you don't want to do it yourself.

There is a took on the Car Talk website to help you find a reputable local mechanic: Car Talk Mechanics File

Here is an article from Edmunds on Corner Garage vs. Dealer Service Department
  • mr_gonemr_gone Posts: 50
    Sockpuppet -- I think you overstate the case for finding someone other than a dealer to work on your car. In fact, the Edmunds article you cite says there are plenty of reasons to go with a dealer, as well as reasons to select an independent mechanic.

As someone shopping for a used car now, I'm much more inclined to buy one that has a well-documented Carfax showing the car was serviced regularly by a dealer. If the current owner took the car to an independent shop, I have no idea whether that shop knows what it is doing or not.

As for parts, I've made the mistake of buying after-market struts instead of OEMs, only to have them fail in 25,000 miles. Did I save money? No, I spent A LOT MORE than I would have just by going to the dealer in the first place.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Posts: 292
    edited August 2011
    There is no guarantee that the dealer mechanic knows what they are doing either so "dealer only" service is meaningless in my opinion when buying used. My mechanic will gladly use OEM parts if I ask, which I usually do. A good, honest independent mechanic is worth their weight in gold. My experience with dealers is that they will try to up-sell you as much as possible on unneeded services/inspections every chance they get. I only take my car to the dealer for repairs covered by warranty or recall.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    No way I'm taking my car to some "would be" independent garage. I have 1 dealer do all my maintenance work,including body work,and state inspection. Harder for them to make mistakes,if they only work on 1 brand of car,and attend brand only tech schools. I get a little goodwill that way and it's worked out well for me.
  • you hit the nail on the head... I yanked out my whole brake system within warrant ty at an independent who did a magnificent job for at least 60% of the dealer cost.. On the brakes I didnt want OEM becuase they were worthless.. I was told my brakes and rotors were shot becuase I didnt know how to drive.. After getting up off the floor I asked the Honda Service Manager If I should take driving lessons after driving for 40 years.. The icing on the cake was when they wanted 100 dollars to change my cabin filter.. Lets see, I bought the filter for 15 dollars and it took me 5 minutes to install... I have a wonderful mechanic who knows Hondas real well.. With the money I save taking my cars tohim instead of the dealers I can put my kid through college.. THe service dept is the only real profit center at a dealer.. I will take my Honda that apparently dont know how ro drive to my mechanic.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    In most suburban areas, you will find more than a few independent shops that specialize in Honda and Acura vehicles. I know of at least five here in the North Metro Atlanta area. They are all owned and operated by former Honda dealership technicians and/or service managers! After seeing how much the dealers were making, they realized that they could offer lower prices and triple or quadruple their earnings at the same time!

I want someone who knows my car inside and out, but I don't have to pay dealer prices to get it!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    ............the Gen7 cabin air filter change price of a C-note at the dealer is really criminal..................

"Let the buyer beware" would truly seem approprite in this case.

ez
  • I have done my own maintenance on my Accord since the dealer wanted $500 for the 30k service. It was dramatically different than the one listed in the owner's manual. They wouldn't quote a price for the suggested factory service.
    I buy the Honda blessed parts (Majestic Honda or HandA parts online) and fluids (local dealer) and install them myself. The car now has just north of 60k, the coolant has been changed twice, the brake fluid changed twice, the belts and hoses show no cracking the rubber still feels newish, and is about to get its first set of new tires next week.
    Every 18 months or so, I have to spend a Saturday afternoon removing and installing maintenance parts and fluids and taking the old ones to our recycling center. So far, this has been much much cheaper than the dealer and the time investment has been relatively minor.
    I keep all my service records and receipts and mileage for each service. When I am ready to move on from that vehicle, it will either be 1. worthless, or 2. traded so I am less worried about the impact of records that say Honda on them. There isn't any box on the KBB or Edmunds price guides that says "not serviced at dealer" to deduct value from the vehicle.
  • tom017tom017 Posts: 16
    My uncle has a 2004 Accord EX-L V6, a beautifully maintained car. It now has 47,000 miles on it. He's been taking it to the dealer religiously for regular maintenance ever since he bought the car. This last oil change, the dealer is saying to replace the timing belt. He only has 47,000 miles on the car and didn't abuse it, why change the timing belt already? The prescribed maintenance is to change the belt at 100,000 miles. The dealer is saying he has 7 years on the belt, it needs changed or it will break before 100,000 miles. Then the dealer gave my uncle an estimate of close to $1,000 to change the belt, water pump and serpentine belt, coolant, etc... Should the belt be changed at 7 years even though the mileage isn't high? And is $1,000 a reasonable charge to change it? Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?
  • If it's not too much trouble I would remove the belt cover and have the belt inspected for cracks, glazing, etc.
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    My Accord 03EXV6 timing belt was replaced last year after 95K miles & 8 years.
    The belt was still in very good shape. No crack, no sign of oil leaked onto the belt.
    I think you can go at least another year. $1K sounds right for the timing belt job at Honda dealership.