Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I checked my 04 Accord and here is what I found. On the right side of the latch mechanism under the lid, you'll see a connector plugged into the mechanism, the wires trail off and into the lid. I unplugged the white connector and the light went off, plugging back in and the light's back on. You might want to check the connector to see it's properly connected. I would also guess that shorting the 2 wires in the plug will bypass the latch and light up the lamp.

Mrbill
  • teaser47401teaser47401 Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I have got the exact same problem (power windows not working, key fop not locking/unlocking, drivers side power locks not working) on my 03 Accord. Did you ever find a resolution to the issue?
  • just replying to a post from Honda about the radio going dark......... does that apply to Canada? I have a 2004 accord with 92000 km. Would greatly appreciate your help. I know the posting is old from 2007 but this could be great news. Thanks
  • woogie03woogie03 Posts: 4
    I ended up sending it to Southern Electronics in Richmond, Va. They have instructions on their site on how take remove the radio from yor Accord (very easy, just be gentle). Cost me $200 which is a lot better than the dealer. Quick turn around too. Good experience dealing with them. Www.carradio.com
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I have no idea if the radio display warranty extension applies to Canada. Sorry.
  • Honda30Honda30 Posts: 15
    I just received a coupon from my Honda dealer for a cabin air filter replacement for only $59.95.

I hope everyone here knows that you can purchase a filter for 12 to 15 dollars (you do not need a Honda brand filter) and install it in all of 5 minutes. You may get a little bit of dust on your hands.

A reasonable charge of 25 to 30 dollar for replacement by the Honda dealer would be much better for customer relations.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,685
    Well you have lower overhead than a dealer is the reason. He has to make X per hour on his line mechanics, no matter what they do. The labor rate is .4 of an hour + $21 for the part. So at the usual dealer rates these days of around $100/hr, the price makes sense.

Think of it as going to a restaurant for breakfast as opposed to you cooking it yourself.

Actually, changing that filter is probably easier than making breakfast. :P
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I see people all the time, complaining about how much dealerships charge, to do this or that. IMO, if you are too lazy or unskilled to do it yourself, you have no right to complain about how much someone else is charging to do it for you. It's like the guy I saw in a store the other day buying a lottery ticket, and complaining that it was a ripoff? He didn't have to buy one.
  • While the info stated in #5807 is true (w/regards to Southern Electronics...); what U can also do, as I found-out recently, is buy the PC board from the Honda dealer. I paid a total of $200 plus tax, of which $125 is for core charge; returnable when U bring back the defective pc (printed circuit)board.
    The instructions for installing can be gotten from the dealer or the internet...on google.
  • jcraterjcrater Posts: 1
    I changed the air filter in my daughter's 2007 Accord today. It was a bit difficult to remove the filter cover, but was even tougher to put it back. I finally removed the battery clamp and was then able to easily install the cover.

hth
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Yes, those filters can be a challenge. Good job. The next time will be easier. :)
  • jefflaw977jefflaw977 Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    I need some opinions on what to do.. My 2003 Honda Accord's transmission has died. I went to the local honda dealership in an attempt to find out what it would cost to fix and as I expected, the repairs are going to add up.. I did some research on 2003 transmission and I've come to the conclusion that the Honda Accord 2003 transmission is riddled w/ problems..

In any event, here is what I was quoted by my local Honda Dealership..

Remanufactured Transmission: $4200 - However they'll do it for $2750 (based on my mileage)

Since I am at 96k, if i decide to keep the car and fix the transmission, I figured i'd put in a new timing belt, drive belts, water pump and coolant.. This I was quoted for $750

Then, 2 other codes came up that need to be addressed..

1) Idle Air Control - Quoted $618.00
    2) ABS tranction Control - Quoted $1179.00

So without tax, and nor any haggling over price- I am at $5300.00 for a 9 year old car...

The last 2 items, (idle air control, and ABS) i am not sure need to need to be fixed as they said something about "clearing out the code"

In any event, the bottom line is that I'd like someone's suggestion as to what to do? Do i keep this car? I really wanted to drive for the foreseeable future.

I did take it to another mechanic who can do this stuff for some what less.. But again, I am torn..

Any suggestions?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    put in a used transmission - much cheaper. Some even come with warranties.

You might also find a shop that can repair it. What is it doing? Does the car drive at all?

I am guessing this is an automatic. The manual was/is bullet proof, and would not be so expensive to repair.

Would you pay $5k for a used one in the same same condition as yours. If the answer is yes you may as well fix it.
  • I'd probably fix it. I don't think it's going to cost as much as all that to square the car away, especially if you shop around. The ABS business could be nothing more than a defective wheel sensor.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Posts: 292
    edited September 2012
    4 cylinder EX-L MT with almost 150K miles on the original clutch. How long have others gone before having to put in a new one? Has anyone done it themselves? How hard is it? Any special tools needed?

Thanks in advance.
  • It'd be a tough job without a lift and a transaxle jack. Book says a professional mechanic can do it in 6 hours.

Special Tools Required
    Clutch alignment shaft 07LAF-PT00110
    Clutch alignment disc 07JAF-PM7011A
    Remover handle 07936-3710100
    Ring gear holder 07LAB-PV00100 or 07924-PD20003
  • How do you get the paint to shine where fuel spilled on it. I can't seem to get the tank filled without it spilling occasionally. Where the fuel spilled the paint looks dull. Any suggestions??? I washed it with car wash, dried it off and tried some ICE synthetic wax but it still looks very dull. :sick: :sick:
  • that's the clear coat, so I hesitate to recommend wet-sanding. Probably a good buffer would do it, if you take your time and don't bear down on it. Once you cut through the clear coat, that's it---no remedy for that but a repaint.
  • biomanbioman Posts: 171
    Just curious if any owners of 03-07 generation Accord V6's has had a leak in the PS hoses per the up and coming recall. I received an email from my dealer informing me of the upcoming recall. I checked out the PS hose in question and so far, so good.