Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    This car is still under warranty, isn't it? Why would you bother trying to fix this yourself?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Well, either way, it isn't his car to deal with, it's his relatives'. They should take it to a dealer, however. :)
  • cgrobecgrobe Posts: 1
    A just audible “clicking “noise seems to be coming from the middle of the dashboard at speeds over 35 mph. I can best describe the sound as the edge of a playing card held lightly against a spinning squirrel cage fan. Except the sound is metallic. When I take my foot of the accelerator pedal the noise stops. It seems to happen when the engine is under a load. The car is 2003 Accord with a V6. When cruising at 65 mph the clicking is quite audible above the usual road noise, but perhaps I am listening for it. If I slip the automatic transmission into neutral while cruising at 55-65, the sound stops instantly.

I have experienced no apparent problem with the transmission. Acceleration is smooth as is the shifting among gears. Going into and out of passing gears is also smooth.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    I wasn't planning on fixing it... just curious what it could be. I can't think of anything that would be causing it that wouldn't turn on the check engine light.
    For instance, it could be the ignition switch, which would not trigger the CEL.
  • Honda is offering free 40 points inspection. I got the car checked. Front brake 50%, rear brake 35%.

I think the noise was caused by some kind of dirt on the brake, and they cleaned it while doing the checking. The noise is gone now. :)
    Some times a rock, or other road debris, can get lodged between the rotor and the dust shield.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 ChicagoPosts: 701
    My wife was slowly reversing her'05 Accord V6 into the garage, when I could hear a CHIRPING noise coming from the engine, not a continuous noise, but coming and going in a slow interval, like a bird was chirping... prrrr...prrrr...prrrr...

I opened the hood and the chirping was less pronounced when the car was in Park, more pronounced when in gear...

Before taking it to the dealer, anybody has had this experience?
  • therivertheriver Posts: 69
    I have an 02 sedan with about 60K. Recently, when I go over bumps or down driveways, I sort of hear a thumping sound coming from the front. It does not sound like a lose strut, it sounds more like the undercarriage is just groaning. It is only when I hit bumps that I hear it, no particualr handling problems that I can tell. Any ideas
  • htthtt Posts: 75
    I took it back to the dealer. It's fixed under warranty. The service guy said that they re-sealed the driver front door and tested. I don't know how they fixed it but I see a piece of duct tape sticking out. So far it's OK but I need lots of rain to see if it's really fixed.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    That's great that it didn't cost you anything. Good move in taking it back!
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    It is only when I hit bumps that I hear it,

If you don't think it is a strut, maybe it's a tie rod.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Since this is a forum for 2003-2006 Accords, with your 2002 vehicle, you'll probably do better on the 1998-2002 forum here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efdf921/40!make=Honda&model=Accord&ed_mak- - eindex=.efdf921
    If the noise is at low speeds, in cold temperatures, over large bumps, my guess would be ball joints. They are a known issue. I call it the "Fart" noise, because that's what is sounds like the front of the car is doing :)
  • therivertheriver Posts: 69
    Thanks. It does kind of sound like a fart. Sorry I posted in the wrong place. My other Honda is an 03 and I did a brain...er...fart....
    The way I hear it, the type of grease they use on the ball joint doesn't circulate well when it's cold. Since there is no grease zerk on the joint, there's not much you can do about it, other than a new ball joint. My old Accord did that for a few winters, but I never did anything about it. Winter doesn't last long in south Louisiana, and it didn't do it in the summer.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 ChicagoPosts: 701
    My mechanic is claiming that all (at least new model) Hondas use the same oil filter, from the Civics to the Accord, Pilot and Ridgeline... Is that true? If so, it's very SMART...
    I got a six-pack of filters from HandAccessories a while back, and I noticed they changed the size of the oil filter (it's been a while now). Maybe that's why, to accomodate all the different engines.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    and not long ago, i visited two different automotive outlets looking at NAPA and Mobil1 filters, and I believe the same filter is spec'ed for an Accord as an ODY, so it's probable.
  • ddnyddny Posts: 20
    Sorry to hear about yer brakes. Been there, done that, but Blane's right - you're playing roulette with warped rotors, some day you'll need 'em and they won't stop.

I got my cheapest price from Mavis for a 4-corner rotor/pad change ($440) and it was well worth it, but the problem came back after 10K miles.

There's a separate forum regarding this issue alone: "Honda Accord Brake Questions" board.

Best of luck, and drive safe.
  • I have 06 Accord SE 4 cyl. Has anyone noticed rattling noise from front passenger's side especially on freeway speed above 65mph? The noise is constant at high speed and sounds like noise generated from forcing to stop some kind of plastic fans(ie:computer fans) with a thick piece of paper(ie:business card).:confuse: The thing is that noise becomes very pronounced at night and hardly audible during daytime which makes dealers hard to replicate the problem.
  • accord6mtaccord6mt Posts: 53
    Just a shot in the dark, but I've had large pebbles stuck in the tread of a tire and every time the pebble would strike the pavement, I'd hear a loud "click/tap." I could hear the tap constantly at highways speeds with my window open driving next to a Jersey barrier so the sound would echo off of the barrier.

One time I drove over a long bolt and after the bolt became lodged in my tire I'd hear a loud tapping noise every time the bolt made contact with the pavement.

I might be totally off-base, but I'm trying to image what the description of your sound actually sounds like...

Good luck!
  • negativexnegativex Posts: 2
    Hi all, I got into an accident this morning. The vehicle hit my rear left bumper as well as my left rear tire. After filing police reports, I went to drive my 05 accord home and I noticed that I really needed to steer left in order to have the car go straight. If it's more serious than an alignment problem, what other problems are they? The car that hit me was going 10-15mph. Right now I don't even know if it is safe to drive the car to the shop.

Thanks
    I would check the suspension components out for cracks (something about to break off). Other than that it should make it to the shop. If the suspension is bent, it will make the tires wear very quickly, so I wouldn't drive it further than necessary.
  • hondalovahondalova Posts: 189
    I don't recall if the Accord SE has alloy wheels or steel wheels with covers. If it is the latter, check your wheel covers and make sure all are on tight and fully snapped in place. Sometimes they make rotational noise similar to what you describe as the wheel flexes in rotation.
  • accord6mtaccord6mt Posts: 53
    You may also have a bent wheel in addition to alignment/suspension issues ...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The 4-cylinder SE has 16" alloys, like the EX 4-cylinder. The V6 SE has 17" alloys, like the rest of the V6 line.
  • hondalovahondalova Posts: 189
    I've posted about this before but apparently its a unique problem - and its getting worse.

2004 Accord V-6 Coupe m/t with 70k miles. Check Engine light keeps coming on at startup (slightly rough idle) and then resetting (after several key cycles and some driving), only to come on again the next time I start the car or sit at idle for any period more than 30-40 seconds long.

Car has stored codes for bank-1 uptake sensor stuck on permanent lean condition. However, my mechanic says that both 02 uptake sensors seem to be working properly upon inspection.

Car also stored multiple misfire codes for each and every cylinder (both banks), suggesting that the problem is either bigger than just one bank or involves more than one malfunction. I called my Honda dealer, and they cheerfully offered to replace BOTH O2 uptake sensors (if I let them suck on my wallet until its dry) but could not explain the misfire codes anomaly.

Also, and I don't know if this matters, but ever since this car was new, it tends to bog down a little when you get on the throttle hard under load (not at idle). Gradully depressing the throttle produces a fairly linear response, but flooring it makes it hesitate until you lift up a little before giving you full engine power. I always just attributed it to the electric throttle and/or the traction control nannies - you tell me.

I'm really desperate here folks - this check engine thing has been happening on and off for nearly a year now - I've changed the EGR valve, changed fuel suppliers, and pulled plugs (all are clean and unfouled) - and what was, until recently, an intermittent problem, is now becoming a persistent one.

I'm stumped.

Any ideas (and I do mean ANY) that might help would be extremely welcome.

Thanks.

-FS
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    ANY? you sure about that?

OK, uptake or intake? i don't think the former exists, but could be wrong on terminology.

first off, i highly doubt BOTH O2 sensors are bad.

more than likely, the MAF (mass airflow) i.e. air intake sensor is flaky or has an intermittent connection, or is connected with a bad hose...

I think if you google, there might even be a means to clean one of these sensors...

you might have a tps (throttle position sensor) problem. you might have an idle air control valve issue (do the codes register at IDLE... does it idle poorly). maybe even a problem with plugs/wires.

but my guess is the MAF is messed up. if it's telling the unit it's getting too much or too little air, then the scheduling of fuel could be wrong. too rich or too lean, and you have a bad result.

if it's been scheduling fuel wrong for a long time, i would think your CAT convertor may have been prematurely worn.

I'd start with the MAF, then the TPS... and IACV, then i'd also be looking for loose / broken hoses in the intake / throttle area.

I would not start with the 02 sensors, but that's just me giving you ANY ideas. :shades:
    There is a long process to diagnose this problem, involving special tools (from checking the service manual). You can try replacing parts (like 777 said the MAF sensor would be one to try), but this can become very expensive, if you keep guessing the wrong parts. Do you know the exact trouble codes? That could help narrow it down some.