Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wouldn't Be Caught Dead Driving One

Comments

• johnmarcojohnmarco Posts: 22
    Here's a few more eye sores:

Chrysler 300
    Jeep Commander, Patriot, Liberty, Compass (they killed the coolest one, the Cherokee.)
    Nissan 350z, Rogue, Titan, Armada
    Lamborghini all models
    Lotus all models (insect)
    Maserati 4-door
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Posts: 248
    Umm.. geez.. I guess you really love your bicycle, eh Johnny??
    Just kidding.....How about the Malcolm Bricklin specials? How do you feel about Subarus, the Bricklin and, of course, the unforgettable Yugo? Do you think Chrysler will have any luck with the Chery instead of ol' Mac?
    Ya I guess I cut a pretty mean swath across the auto universe. But hey --- there are a bunch of beautiful cars out there. I thought maybe a companion list would be fun but beyond the scope of this thread.

Subies? Well, shoot, you asked...
    Like: Impreza, Legacy
    Don't like: WRX/STi, Outback, Tribeca, Forrester

I've never heard of Malcolm... let's just stay consistent and say I hate it. ;)
    Will Chrysler have luck with Chery? I hope so. They badly need a nice small car. And they just need some things to go their way, period.
  • mirde98mirde98 Posts: 95
    -Any Corolla
    -Redneck bigfoot style pick up trucks with mud instead of paint.
    -Hummer
    -Any Lincoln or Cadillac SUV's or pick ups.
    -Dodge Avenger, Caliber
    -Jeep Commander, Compass, Patriot
    -Ford Taurus/Sable Tempo/Topaz Windstar Freestyle
    -Mazda Rx7
    -Chevy Cobalt, MonteCarlo, Equinox
    -Honda Ridgeline,Pilot New Accord is UGGLLYYY
    -Nissan Sentra
    -Saturn ION, VUE
    -GM's new Acadia, Outlook they are porkers, fat-ugly and horrendous fuel economy
    -Chrysler Pacifica, Aspen
    -Buick LeSabre/Park Avenue Pontiac Boneville Olsmobile Aurora
  • robbiegrobbieg Posts: 326
    Maybe we could add a twist to this discussion by saying what you would never drive and what you actually drive. For example, a friend of my wife's was making fun of her Honda Odyssey and saying that he would never drive a minivan. I was waiting to hear the guy say he got his wife a Denali, R class Mercedes or some other cool people mover. But the guy then said that got a ................. Chrysler Pacifica. Come on, the Pacifica is the least cool of all sport utility vehicles and clearly less cool than a Odyssey. Bottom line you can not make fun of an Odyssey if you drive a Pacifica but you can if you drive a Denali.

I would never be caught dead in an Aztek Oh, and we drive a Odessey and a Subaru Legacy GT.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    Any minivan
    Any SUV
    Any crossover
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,847
    But the guy then said that got a ................. Chrysler Pacifica. Come on, the Pacifica is the least cool of all sport utility vehicles and clearly less cool than a Odyssey. Bottom line you can not make fun of an Odyssey if you drive a Pacifica but you can if you drive a Denali.

I dunno, I actually kinda like the Pacifica. I think its biggest problem is that if you really need a minivan or SUV, then you need to go BUY a minivan or SUV and a Pacifica just isn't going to cut it. I think the Pacifica is a fairly attractive looking vehicle, though. I just probably wouldn't buy one.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,505
    I don't know if one who drives a Denali can name fun of anything :P
    Does that include all Suburbans/Tahoes/Yukons?
    Pretty much, yeah. Seeing as how pointless they really are for 95% of their buyers...and those who actually do have a use for them aren't the ones showing off.
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    throw in some more corollas, rabbits, civics, a few accord/camry size cars and you have pretty much what people drives in the rest of the world.

Oh, and execellent diesel engines.
  • whittonmwhittonm Posts: 30
    - Pontiac Aztek
    - Any GM vehicle with plastic slathered on bottom half
    - Chevette
    - BMW X3, 1 Series hardtop
    - Geo Metro
    - New Honda Accord
    - Most Saturns, expecially ION
    - 1968 Plymouth Belvedere (still emotionally scarred by using it to take date to the Prom)
    - Lada (for you Canadians), also Hyundai Pony
    - Lumina Minivan
    - Ford Maverick
    - Ford Tempo, Mercury Topaz
    - Cadillac Cimarron
    - AMC Gremlin, Hornet
    - Austin Marina, turns into rust before your eyes
    - Datsun B210

:D
    AMC Gremlin, Hornet

What???!! You liked the Pacer??!!
    I think the Pacer's kinda cool, in a reverse-chic sort of way. But I don't think I could handle a Gremlin or Hornet. Maybe if the Hornet was one of those performance models...I think they called them the S/C 360 or something like that?

I'm curious what the beef was with the '68 Belvedere? I always thought the '68-70 Plymouth intermediates were gorgeous. But IIRC, the Belvedere was the bottom feeder by that time, basically what they used for taxis and police cars. The nicer ones were Satellites, Roadrunners, or GTXes. And I guess, if it was a ratted-out used car by the time prom came around, it would be an embarrassment.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I am throwing myself out there for humiliation by others, as we own an '08 Cobalt XFE (purely for unbelievably low cost and good MPG) and a Chevy Uplander minivan in Sport Red (hey, except for the Venture look from straight on in the back, I think the best-looking minivan out there, mostly due to the bigger factory tires and wheels!), a car I just always hated was the '90's VW Jetta. And people loved it and thought it was a status symbol! I wouldn't necessarily say it was ugly styling, just a total lack of styling. Small wheel openings. Small tires and wheels. Rear door is a complete upright square cut-out. No styling in rear. No styling in front. UGGGGGGHHHH!

Bill
    I think the 1968 (and to only a slightly lesser degree, the '69, and an even lesser degree, the '70) Plymouth Satellite is the most attractively styled Mopar ever built. I think there's not a bad line on the car. I guess this would cover Road Runners and GTX's too, and even Belvedere coupes. I even like them in that ubiquitous light urine-y green that seemed so popular!

Bill
    I am throwing myself out there for humiliation by others, as we own an '08 Cobalt XFE (purely for unbelievably low cost and good MPG) and a Chevy Uplander minivan in Sport Red

I know the Cobalt tends to take a lot of criticism, but there are a few things about it I like. Mainly the front seats. I've heard complaints about them having poor support, contouring, or whatever, but the Cobalt is actually one of the few small cars I could actually stretch out in. So just for that, I have to give the car some credit. Now on the downside, the back seat feels pretty cramped, but it's rare that I get chauffeured around in my own car, so I'd rather they put more effort into the front seat. What kind of fuel economy do you get with the Cobalt? It doesn't seem so hot, according to the EPA estimates, but at least you get a fairly powerful engine as a tradeoff. And then, like you said, there's the low price.

As for the Uplander, I really don't care for them, and that front end they worked onto them in the final years to try to make them look more SUV-ish. But then, I don't think there's a minivan out there that I can say turns me on. It's just the nature of the beast. They're not meant to be sexy. They're meant to be functional.
    We have only 800-some miles on it so far (only have had it ten days) but it is EPA-rated at 25 city, 36 highway. All stick-shift LS and 1LT Cobalts built after 3/17/08 are the XFE model where Chevy played around with the fifth-gearing, computer mapping and put easier-rolling tires (read that as cheap Goodyear Integritys!) on it. Apparently even the cheapest Cobalts before 3/17 came with 'touring' tires. Supposedly the 36 highway MPG is highest in its class.

The invoice was $14,909--we started there. There was a total of $3,000 in rebates, my $1,500 in GM Card monies was upped to $2,000 until 6/2, and I got $2,400 for my old Cavalier with 112K miles. I think I did well.

Bill
    I don't see anything wrong with a Cobalt, inoffensive decent enough car....but those minivans have never won me over. Luckily I don't have a reason to buy a vehicle that size, so I'll never have to go there.