Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrids and Hypermiling - Tips on more miles per gallon

2»

Comments

• Wow, someone went to some trouble....even thongs, bibs and teddy bears? And what is that thing sticking out the hood of the Prius in the pictures?

And why would we need to ban hypermiling? If someone is breaking traffic laws doing it then enforce the laws.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    "Someone incorrectly thinks they are cute."

I think he was serious... :surprise:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860
    Well, that was a tinly disguised attempt to advertise a website.

Nothing happening here folks... back to your regular programming. ;)

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,900
    Shoot, I missed it. Too busy with ethanol and diesels.
    Are you a hypermiler? What kind of techniques are you using to maximize your mileage. Even if you're not a hybrid driver you can still do things (and a lot of us are) to stretch those fuel dollars to the max.

One idea that came from a friend makes a lot of sense and I've been doing it ever since he mentioned it to me about a year ago. When you get in your car, do everything that you need to do before driving like putting on your seatbelt, adjusting mirrors, etc. BEFORE you start your car rather than after. I know it doesn't seem like much, but every little bit helps and it does keep you in the right mindset :)

So let's hear from you hypermilers. How are you increasing your range?

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,240
    I don't exactly do the hypermiler thing but have played with doing things once in a while and it has some effects on my daily driving style (and results). Mostly just easy things like plodding along at 55 on the interstate and avoiding peak rush hour when I can. Looking way ahead on the road and getting my foot out of the gas tank way early when approaching backed up traffic, or the light that will be red before I get there.

On my daily commute the puter in the vehicle (which is more or less accurate when compared to calculated milage) my 30 MPG EPA estimated highway ride has been on a regular basis (outside of cold winter temps) getting 33 MPG without trying to hard.

After reading this last week and being on the road sunday I did a little test drinving like I had a raw egg between my right foot and pedal and managed to get puter reading of 36MPG on a 30 mile trip. It does take considerable focus to do that though on a regular basis.
  • gwmortgwmort Posts: 22
    On my first gen prius, I left the economy graphs up on screen a lot when I first got it to marvel at how well it was doing mileage wise. I found myself adjusting my driving style to help it along. I don't know if I can point to anything specific, but for instance I would ratchet down the cruise control a mile or two on an incline and then pick them up the otherside, seemed to help.

Gradually I came to gradual acceleration and decelleration as a habit, and now I do it without thinking. We just got my wife a Mariner hybrid, and now she is going through the same conversion. Driving a little slower than she did, taking acceleration easier, etc...

I don't think its something that translates well to conventional car drivers. Its a paradigm shift. My position on the slow drivers being a danger, etc. is that I drive the speed limit in the slow lane and get blown by. I don't think anyone should be faulted for going the speed limit.
  • Before the Edmunds article, I'd never heard of hypermiling. After reading it, I decided to give it a try.

I had to make a trip from Colorado Springs to downtown Denver and back, 120 miles, almost exactly. I drive an '05 Focus auto tranny Sedan, and in the past I've averaged 28-32 city/hwy mixed driving.

The drive included a small pass (a climb from 7000-8000 ft.), so several long hills. There was also a lot of stop and go traffic in Denver. I cut down on AC usage, coasted on hills, and accelerated slowly. I also slowed down my average speed by about 5-10 mph.

I filled up back home when I had 119.9 miles on the trip ticker. I bought 2.5 gallons of gas. You can do the math, but that's nearly 48 mpg! I'm very excited about this discovery. Admittedly, perhaps not the most accurate measurement, but I'm guessing it was within a couple mpg's, which is still great for me. I'll definitely be using this in the future!
  • I get good mileage because I drive reasonably. Conscience speaking, I am interested in being more environmentally friendly. I profess ignorance at my driving style's environmental effect...ie. idling. :confuse: I live where it's hot and hormones require A/C. I take the bike whenever possible but which type of vehicle is best if I'm sitting around for 20 minutes waiting for my child to get out of school. I drive less than 10K a year, mostly stop and go in town. Should I be most worried with CO2 emissions??

Thanks for considering this question. I have looked everywhere and can't figure out with the idling problem. A year left on the lease, then I should buy?? a Prius??
  • gwmortgwmort Posts: 22
    Most any hybrid will address the "idling" problem. One of the key steps forward is that the Internal Combustion Engine does not run when not needed. However, they will probably need to run if your A/C load is that high (some have "economy" settings that will not let the engine to run just for the A/C but at the cost of some comfort).

Also stop and go is ideal for hybrids since the stopping recharges the battery through regenerative breaking, and the low speed go is almost purely electric. I often wonder with a long enough traffic jam if I could reach Miami (900 miles) on one tank (I've averaged 90mpg+ for as long as 20 minutes in traffic jams before in my Prius)
  • tkurtztkurtz Posts: 1
    Last Friday morning I made a 100 mile round trip in my 2005 Prius and got 71.5 mpg for the trip. I used high-speed limited access highways on the way out and back roads for the trip back. The trick is simple: I determined that my tires are rated for a maximum pressure of 44 psig, and I put them at that pressure. This reduced the rolling resistance significantly. The effect is most significant at lower speeds where the air resistance is relatively small. Thus I did less than 70 mpg on the outward portion of the trip and more than 70 mpg on the return.

The difference in the ride is noticeable but not objectionable. I expect that the tires will wear more unevenly than they would at the recommended pressures, but that effect may be less than one might expect due to the nature of the steel-belted radials.

I am extremely pleased with my Prius. I think the Edmunds review is too critical, although I can understand why they might want to be conservative. I especially like the ability to fold down the back seats to make the car into effectively a station wagon. I think Toyota has some work to do on the transition from regenerative braking to mechanical breaking, especially if the car was last driven on wet roads. The mechanical brakes can then grab, almost to the point of causing wheel lock. I have learned to drive a short distance at slow speed with the brakes on to dry them out before parking the car after a drive on wet roads.
    Since we're WAY off the peak of gas prices in the summer, have you slacked off on your hypermiling habits?

2»
This discussion has been closed.