Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrids and Hypermiling - Tips on more miles per gallon

Comments

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    quote donzi81-"I don't even know if I would recognize a hypermiler."-end quote

Most of the time, no you would not. When I'm in hypermile mode, I constantly CONSTANTLY scan my rearview mirror for people who might want me out of their way and do everything I can to let them by, short of "speeding up."

Unless they ae going to pay for my fuel/speeding ticket, no one driving behind me is going to force me to speed up - whether I'm hypermiling or not.
  • mistermemisterme Posts: 407
    "I have never experienced anyone hypermiling"

This is my point exactly. Some people think speed is the only tool to use. For example when the traffic gets moving again from that light you (we) have choices.
    Surely I could just follow behind the pack with a cars length in front gassing it hard with them to gain speed....

Or I can see that there isn't anyone following for 1/4 mile...Since there isn't anyone behind I can back off a little bit, cut my rate of increase and save some gas.

Nobody notices or cares.

Or I might notice my fuel consumption display shows mid 40's MPG, so I increase it to mid 50's or 60's with no change in speed....

Again, nobody notices or cares.

Or I'll be doing just fine getting great MPG flowing along in traffic and see an upcoming hill.
    A vehicle ahead decides to go slow for what ever reason. Now we pack in like an accordion behind them.
    Later we're on that hill and I'm burning alot more fuel than otherwise for that slow person.

The person in front of me who is also victim of this slow driver gets home, goes to Edmunds and posts that hypermilers cause hazards.

Sound familiar?
    "do everything I can to let them by, short of "speeding up."

This brings to mind a funny thing last summer.
    There's a set of HUGE hills on my way home @ 3:00AM.
    These are on a 55MPH limit, cops patrol it to just over 60MPH.

Since there isn't anyone around at 3:00AM I usually take them @ 60MPH at their base and let her sag down to about 45MPH at the top.

That night most of the way up this steep 3/4 mile hill someone pulls up right behind and very aggressively tailgates. I couldn't see their headlights they were so close.
    So I held it to about 53MPH and as I reached the top immediately pulled into a turn only lane on the left to let them pass.

Wow! It was a cop driving like that behind me.

In fact I returned to my lane after he passed, then he pulled me over for improper lane usage! (Because I let him by)

Well I was pretty hot at him and he knew it- denying to the end that he was tailgating.
    Another benefit of hybrids are conversation. It turned out OK, he admitted trolling for drunks and my lane change was his excuse. Of course I also mentioned my 68MPG average and showed him my dash which said 72 point something MPG.
    People's reaction is priceless.
    "they save 2 cents worth of gas on their trip to work and back"

Two cents?
    My hypermiling paid the bulk of my hybrid premium within the first year of ownership, and can almost double the MPG of our Grand Caravan.
    (The wife mainly drives the GC and thinks nothing of hypermiling, but have learned from it as well. She averages about 21-22 which is great, coming from 14-16MPG...simply from non-aggressive driving)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,679
    Your hours and mileage seem ideally suited to both the hybrid and hypermiling. Keep it up and have a Wonderful Christmas!

You too Larsb!!!!
    Hey, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to ALL !!! Be SAfe !! :D
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    1. The hybrids should be in the regular lanes! Vehicles that shut off when going slow are ideal. Isn't that the idea! ;)

2. If you want to save the environment, live within walking distance of work. :)
    OR
    biking distance of work. :D
    OR
    ride a motorcycle! 40+mpg, only 500lbs into the landfill, and donate the extra $12,500 you didn't spend on your Prius to Charity! :shades:
  • I once had a motorcycle. Loved it. Now I have a metal plate in my arm. Motorcycles aren't dangerous, people that drive cars into motorcycles are dangerous. I rather have all the protection I can get. :)
  • am I mistaken or is that more or less...coasting?

I do a lot of coasting in a 1979 Oldsmobile...and my vacuum gauge swings wide right and tells me I'm doing quite well. But I can't do it all the time. I try to stay within 5-10mph of the posted limit (low or high) and do all the coasting I can do so my foot is off the gas and no more than idle speed fuel is being consumed.
    Ban Gooser !!

Someone incorrectly thinks they are cute.
  • Wow, someone went to some trouble....even thongs, bibs and teddy bears? And what is that thing sticking out the hood of the Prius in the pictures?

And why would we need to ban hypermiling? If someone is breaking traffic laws doing it then enforce the laws.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Someone incorrectly thinks they are cute."

I think he was serious... :surprise:
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Well, that was a tinly disguised attempt to advertise a website.

Nothing happening here folks... back to your regular programming. ;)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,679
    Shoot, I missed it. Too busy with ethanol and diesels.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Are you a hypermiler? What kind of techniques are you using to maximize your mileage. Even if you're not a hybrid driver you can still do things (and a lot of us are) to stretch those fuel dollars to the max.

One idea that came from a friend makes a lot of sense and I've been doing it ever since he mentioned it to me about a year ago. When you get in your car, do everything that you need to do before driving like putting on your seatbelt, adjusting mirrors, etc. BEFORE you start your car rather than after. I know it doesn't seem like much, but every little bit helps and it does keep you in the right mindset :)

So let's hear from you hypermilers. How are you increasing your range?

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    I don't exactly do the hypermiler thing but have played with doing things once in a while and it has some effects on my daily driving style (and results). Mostly just easy things like plodding along at 55 on the interstate and avoiding peak rush hour when I can. Looking way ahead on the road and getting my foot out of the gas tank way early when approaching backed up traffic, or the light that will be red before I get there.

On my daily commute the puter in the vehicle (which is more or less accurate when compared to calculated milage) my 30 MPG EPA estimated highway ride has been on a regular basis (outside of cold winter temps) getting 33 MPG without trying to hard.

After reading this last week and being on the road sunday I did a little test drinving like I had a raw egg between my right foot and pedal and managed to get puter reading of 36MPG on a 30 mile trip. It does take considerable focus to do that though on a regular basis.
  • gwmortgwmort Posts: 22
    On my first gen prius, I left the economy graphs up on screen a lot when I first got it to marvel at how well it was doing mileage wise. I found myself adjusting my driving style to help it along. I don't know if I can point to anything specific, but for instance I would ratchet down the cruise control a mile or two on an incline and then pick them up the otherside, seemed to help.

Gradually I came to gradual acceleration and decelleration as a habit, and now I do it without thinking. We just got my wife a Mariner hybrid, and now she is going through the same conversion. Driving a little slower than she did, taking acceleration easier, etc...

I don't think its something that translates well to conventional car drivers. Its a paradigm shift. My position on the slow drivers being a danger, etc. is that I drive the speed limit in the slow lane and get blown by. I don't think anyone should be faulted for going the speed limit.
  • Before the Edmunds article, I'd never heard of hypermiling. After reading it, I decided to give it a try.

I had to make a trip from Colorado Springs to downtown Denver and back, 120 miles, almost exactly. I drive an '05 Focus auto tranny Sedan, and in the past I've averaged 28-32 city/hwy mixed driving.

The drive included a small pass (a climb from 7000-8000 ft.), so several long hills. There was also a lot of stop and go traffic in Denver. I cut down on AC usage, coasted on hills, and accelerated slowly. I also slowed down my average speed by about 5-10 mph.

I filled up back home when I had 119.9 miles on the trip ticker. I bought 2.5 gallons of gas. You can do the math, but that's nearly 48 mpg! I'm very excited about this discovery. Admittedly, perhaps not the most accurate measurement, but I'm guessing it was within a couple mpg's, which is still great for me. I'll definitely be using this in the future!
  • I get good mileage because I drive reasonably. Conscience speaking, I am interested in being more environmentally friendly. I profess ignorance at my driving style's environmental effect...ie. idling. :confuse: I live where it's hot and hormones require A/C. I take the bike whenever possible but which type of vehicle is best if I'm sitting around for 20 minutes waiting for my child to get out of school. I drive less than 10K a year, mostly stop and go in town. Should I be most worried with CO2 emissions??

Thanks for considering this question. I have looked everywhere and can't figure out with the idling problem. A year left on the lease, then I should buy?? a Prius??
This discussion has been closed.