Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrids and Hypermiling - Tips on more miles per gallon

13»

Comments

• gwmortgwmort Posts: 22
    Most any hybrid will address the "idling" problem. One of the key steps forward is that the Internal Combustion Engine does not run when not needed. However, they will probably need to run if your A/C load is that high (some have "economy" settings that will not let the engine to run just for the A/C but at the cost of some comfort).

Also stop and go is ideal for hybrids since the stopping recharges the battery through regenerative breaking, and the low speed go is almost purely electric. I often wonder with a long enough traffic jam if I could reach Miami (900 miles) on one tank (I've averaged 90mpg+ for as long as 20 minutes in traffic jams before in my Prius)
  • tkurtztkurtz Posts: 1
    Last Friday morning I made a 100 mile round trip in my 2005 Prius and got 71.5 mpg for the trip. I used high-speed limited access highways on the way out and back roads for the trip back. The trick is simple: I determined that my tires are rated for a maximum pressure of 44 psig, and I put them at that pressure. This reduced the rolling resistance significantly. The effect is most significant at lower speeds where the air resistance is relatively small. Thus I did less than 70 mpg on the outward portion of the trip and more than 70 mpg on the return.

The difference in the ride is noticeable but not objectionable. I expect that the tires will wear more unevenly than they would at the recommended pressures, but that effect may be less than one might expect due to the nature of the steel-belted radials.

I am extremely pleased with my Prius. I think the Edmunds review is too critical, although I can understand why they might want to be conservative. I especially like the ability to fold down the back seats to make the car into effectively a station wagon. I think Toyota has some work to do on the transition from regenerative braking to mechanical breaking, especially if the car was last driven on wet roads. The mechanical brakes can then grab, almost to the point of causing wheel lock. I have learned to drive a short distance at slow speed with the brakes on to dry them out before parking the car after a drive on wet roads.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Since we're WAY off the peak of gas prices in the summer, have you slacked off on your hypermiling habits?

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

13»
This discussion has been closed.