Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst Cars

Comments

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I had the power sliding doors and tailgate (plus the Stow 'n Go seats) in a rented Grand Caravan, and they were all great for use in moving my son out of his apartment in Brooklyn last spring.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I like the power doors but since I don't have a power tailgate in my Odyssey I'm not completely sold on that yet.
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    the power tailgate in our Chrysler T&C, and while not as useful as the power doors, it is a nice fature when you are carrying groceries.

The only thing I worry about with it is someone hitting the button while the van is in the garage.
  • Sure the Chinease cars are cheap knock-offs. But think about what the [non-permissible content removed] where selling here in the 60's and early 70's.

The early Toyota Crown was so poorly built you'd be lucky to finish the test drive before it broke down. The body panels on Datsuns were so thin I'd swear that if you took of the first layer of paint you'd find a budwieser label. And Honda never could build a carborator that worked in high humidity. Hard to believe these are the same companies.

What was the worst from my own experiences? My mother had a Spitfire that would have made a quit nice, if expensive planter. Ok, so on the day(s) that it did run it was fun to drive.
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    They made some real "dogs" over the years....

The "850" models hold the world record for rusting.

The 124's could decay very quickly if parked outdoors often.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    The fact that we're bringing up the Triumph Spitfire, Toyota Crown, early Datsuns, carburated Hondas, and '60s and '70s Fiats indicates that U.S. consumers have far better choices today. Interestingly, all except Triumph are still in business. And Fiat, all but given up for dead recently, just reported a decent profit for the last reporting period.
  • Cars are more reliable, and higher quality.

Consider that in the early-mid 90's a certain well known consumer magazine had to redo there ratings system becuase majority of the cars tested were rated at "above average", with almost nothing getting a poor rating. If only the worst cars have average reliability/build quality then it no longer average reliability/build quality.

Durability is another issue however.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Date posted: 03-10-2006

SHANGHAI — Geely Automobile, the Chinese automaker that generated a shock wave of publicity in January when it displayed its tiny CK sedan at Detroit's auto show, is making waves back home with its new Haixuan, described as China's "first car to tempt female buyers."

Unveiled this week in conjunction with International Women's Day, the Haixuan is being offered by Geely subsidiary Shanghai Maple and will go on sale later this year, priced from just under $10,000.

According to the Shanghai Daily newspaper, the company put together an all-female team of engineers to create the Haixuan, which will come in such colors as "Tiramisu Yellow." The company detailed a list of female-oriented features including a special brake pedal with a cutout to accommodate a high-heeled shoe, an additional rearview mirror to monitor the backseat, and a portable child safety seat.

The paper said women now account for only 30 percent of auto buyers in China's major cities, but their numbers are growing by double digits.

What this means to you: Chinese women don't yet have nearly the influence on car purchases as their American counterparts — but their clout is growing.

What this means to the Lady's: Move on over Mercury, because Geely has made the perfect :lemon: for you.

Rocky

P.S. I gurantee Lemko's girlfriend would spit on it. ;)
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    My girlfriend would be as likely to be seen in a Chinese, (or Korean) car as she would be in a Wal-Mart - a place she absolutely despises. However, that doesn't exclude her from Japanese cars. I couldn't get her butt out of the Lexus LS430 I looked at years ago. She doesn't think much of the Camry and a lot of it has to do with the sharkish way the sales personnel treated her.
    Then you better keep her out of the Lexus showroom, because the new LS460 is even nicer. :surprise:

Rocky
    They let Stevie Wonder carve this one out ?

Say Wha? Reader's Digest Picks Ford F-250 Super Chief as "Best Four Wheels"

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=114961

Rocky
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115643

Geely's KING KONG. Lemko welcome to the future. :sick:

Rocky
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Geely's KING KONG. Lemko welcome to the future

Styling is so-so, not bad. A lot better than some stuff out of GM such as Malibu.
    A lot better than some stuff out of GM such as Malibu.

Not even the Malibu is that ugly xrunner ! :sick:

Rocky
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    Looks like a Corolla to me, and I like the looks of the Corolla.

For $3k more I'll take my chances on the Toyota.
    Good God! A Saturn Aura front end on an old Mercedes 190 with an Echo interior! I guess they'll be selling these things in blister packs as impulse items at Wal-Mart checkouts. Geeze, I don't think even poor people will find these appealing.
    Good God! A Saturn Aura front end on an old Mercedes 190 with an Echo interior! I guess they'll be selling these things in blister packs as impulse items at Wal-Mart checkouts. Geeze, I don't think even poor people will find these appealing.

Poor people,as well as people of other income brackets, shop at Wal-Mart because of the value received.

Would be interesting if Wal-Mart started selling low priced cars in the future. How would they address the servicing issue. We could hope that with their overall expertise, the servicing arrangement they set up would be cheaper than any current car dealer in US.

Geely, on style, does not belong in Worst car category. GM has many offering in last decade that are more appropriate - Aztek, some Saturns, Firebird nostril car, Malibu, Monte Carlo, original Avalanche, Grand Prix bulbous rear, Cavalier/Sunbird, Rondayvoo, etc.

What is amazing is that GM supposedly has decades of styling experience(?) and upstart Geely produces a decent styled car in its short existence. It is already "look out" GM from Hyundai. Just wait till the Chinese get revved up. Think that any Chinese company pays their workers to not work and just sit around all day in a jobs bank?
    Geeze, it looks like they dissassembled several different cars, threw random pieces on the floor and reassembled them.

Value at Wal-Mart? So I can buy some shoddy Chinese-manufactured piece of junk that will be discarded after six months versus what would normally last a lifetime if purchased from elsewhere? Try to find any decent tools. Good God, I swear I've seen better stuff in dollar stores.

I'll take the most grotesque, ugly abomination of a vehicle from GM over this Geely piece of garbage.
  • wonderwallwonderwall Posts: 126
    geely should be sold at wal-mart since everything else there is made in china.
    Value at Wal-Mart? So I can buy some shoddy Chinese-manufactured piece of junk that will be discarded after six months versus what would normally last a lifetime if purchased from elsewhere? I'll take the most grotesque, ugly abomination of a vehicle from GM over this Geely piece of garbage.
    One can buy many, many items at Wal-Mart that are made in US.

The way things going, maybe people wanting to buy a Buick in future will see that it is made in China. IBM Thinkpads now owned by Chinese company and made in China. How soon will Buick name be owned by company of China and proudly display plaque in doorsill showing Made in China.
    Might GM sell off Buick brand to Chinese company?

On Geely, in coming years workers at any US office will probably announce with pride that they just bought a new Geely. It will be a very "In" vehicle to have. Thing to watch is how fast Geely will improve in style, performance, reliability. People laughed at Hyundai and now they have some things better than GM in value.

US citizens should take notice about how many scientists and engineers are graduating from college in China vs the US.

For all-time ugly/grotesque, GM has some good contenders including the Aztek and late 50's Olds and Buicks. These have to be on worst styled cars list.