Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    If the cars are in a TOTALLY different demographic then no one would shop both cars - in reality MANY MANY people shop both the Civic and Mazda3.

Actually, that statement is false. Just because a company releases it "targeted buyer" does not mean those are the people that will shop them. People will shop whatever they want to shop. I have seen people shop the Mazda3 against the Honda Accord. People will shop cars that are in the same segment, as well as ones that are not.

It's all about what the consumer likes, and if that car fits their needs, then they will buy it.

If I were in the compact car market, I would not even look at the Honda. I would shop Mazda3, Subaru Impreza. The Honda does nothing for me. But, for others, it does.

I hope you enjoy your 3, and I hope you are happy with your purchase.

For all the Honda Civic owners, I hope you are happy with your purchase as well. Enjoy.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I understand what you mean; but trust me, people do DRIVE their cars before buying them, and if they are like me, it's the driving experience that has me hooked, not the H on the hood. I'm not sure where people get the idea that Honda is a "prestigious" brand; it has just as much prestige in the market as any other car from $15-20k...(Focus, 3, Cobalt, Neon excluded IMO).

And for the tuner market, I just can't picture an EX Sedan slammed with a wing, ground effects and altezzas. I believe that share of the market is gone to other manufacturers as well.

Keep in mind, here, that this may be a wiser business decision than you might think. I'm 18, and couldn't imagine putting any of that crap (wings, clear lenses, etc) on a brand new car, much less ANY 4-door small sedan. Give me the coupe and I'll think about it... The main tuners to these cars are used-car buyers. I haven't seen a tuner Civic in my neighborhood that is less than 2-3 years old. Ever. And I have seen my share of CivIntegrAccords dropped and adorned with wings...most are 4-8 years old (there's actually an 89 Integra coupe slammed down the street from me...a senior in HS drives it; had been his father's car).

How can you say the 96-00 was the last "good" generation? I'm curious as what you mean by that...no harm intended, just curious as to the merits of the "good" ones vs. the 2001 + "bad" ones?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day...

thegrad
    I think you are getting a little too far ahead of yourself before you post messages, which is the point z71Bill was trying to make. I know it is just a forum, but common courtesy is usually to proofread your messages before posting.

To show you that I am not bias (the term is biased, here), I do think the Civic win's the fuel economy battle.

You think? There's no way to be biased about that, its just proven fact. It's like me saying, "To show you I'm not biased, I do think the Mazda has a steering wheel."

Also, it has a great reputation, great reliability, and will stay a top seller IMO. Last I saw, the Toyota Corolla was the #1 compact in sales, not the Civic.

Due to its heightened rental sales; take away the fleet sales and Honda is on top.

Mazda wins the battle of performance, driving experience, and still offers more in a compact then the Civic. Yes, to get the extras, you must pay more, but, the point is that it is offered. (leather, heated seats, climate control, xenon lights, rain senseing wipers).

Honda offers a coupe model to compliment its lineup. It also offers a high-performance Si that blows the 3 out of the water, and costs less than a 3 when optioned to the max. Honda offers a Hybrid model with which the EPA achieved 50 miles per gallon in the City. Yes, to get the extras (197 hp engine, 50mpg) you have to pay more (though not much considering the technology). The Mazda 3s I just built on their site listed over $26,000 when fully optioned. I'm still waiting on a decent affordable coupe from Mazda, which the Honda offers.

Go back inside your glass house of options, aviboy, and I'll stay in mine, ok?
    I haven't seen a tuner Civic in my neighborhood that is less than 2-3 years old

grad, I happen to agree with you.

Back when I was in high school, tuning an import was just starting to get big. I live in a town with a very large Asian population, and many of the students in my high school were Asian. So, the tuned cars I saw were 90-96 Honda Civic's, and when I was in college, I saw a ton of the 96-00 tuned Civic's, as well as the 94-01 Integra's. I have not seen very many tuned 01-05 Civic's. I wonder how tuning will continue with the 06 Civic. I think it's safe at assume the 06 Si will be a popular tuner, as well as the coupe. But, the sedan, I don't see as being as popular as it once was.

Maybe a lot of buyers are opting for the manufacturers tuner. Like the Subaru WRX, WRX STi, Mitsubishi EVO, Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV, Acura RSX Type-S. I am not one of those buyers, but, I do see more popularity in those rather than the Civic tuner.

On another note, I have not really seen any tuned Mazda3's either. I know there is a great selection of Mazdaspeed performance parts, and body components available. I'm sure I will see a 06 tuned Civic before a tuned Mazda3. It's just more popular to tune.
    Seem's you are a little pissy there, z71....Is it that time of the month for you?

If you have a problem with me stating my opinion, I suggest you find some where else to state yours. I never attacked you. You seem to like attacking me, which I don't have a problem with. I like to debate. You obviously do have a problem. I feel sorry for you. Good luck with your Mazda3.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I think I understand now - why you don't understand.

Demographics is about the people - not the car. Things like fun to drive - sporty - powerful engines cut across all demographic groups. Do you think that when you turn 50 that all of a sudden you will want a car that is slow - ugly and does not handle?

I agree - a car company can target any group they want - but that does not mean anything - Look at Scion - they wanted to sell to 17-25 year olds (or something like that) with their xA & xB - but instead the cars are being purchased (in large numbers) by the senior citizen croud. So Toyota created a new brand to go after the young buyer (hint - this may be part of a demographic group!) but instead they ended up with the over 60 croud (hint!).

Business management you say - really - I did not know that you could get BS in BA without taking at least one basic course in marketing. Or were you required to take a course but just did not learn / understand anything? I can see that you learned to COPY things - your post looks like a word for word re-write of the Mazda3 VS Civic comparison that Mazda published for their sales people. I guess copying things must have been your major! Sure saves you from the need to THINK FOR YOURSELF!

I do have a Z-71 (4x4 pick-up) bought it new in 1999 (new model that year) - use it to tow my boat & haul stuff. It has been rock solid - not like my Mazda3 which has been to the dealer 16 times in 22 months. You need to look back in early 1999 - what trucks were available then - Ford, Chevy & Dodge - Toyota had just introduced the Tundra - but the dealers were asking above MSRP - and it had such a small bed (thats what the thing in the back of a truck that you haul stuff in is called). But I don't think that my education - MBA, BS in BA - accounting major (but still took several marketing courses) if you really want to know - has much to do with what PU I drive. If I bought a new one today it would be a hard choice - the new Nissan looks good - and the way Ford is discounting the F-250 Super Duty it could even make my short list - or maybe a Ram with the Hemi - and GM is coming out with a new model later this year. I would agree that Chevy is way behind in cars - but they still make good trucks and SUV (I also have a Tahoe that has been very reliable).
    Seem's you are a little pissy there, z71....Is it that time of the month for you?

That kind of childish nonsense is not necessary, and the host is pretty quick to remove these kinds of posts. I'm not sure why you point out bill here, anyways.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Its a slow day I guess - but really when someone posts something that is completely wrong it should be OK to call them on it. Then if they try and get all nasty they should expect the same in return.

If you want to jump in and try and help poor little aviboy97 explain demographics that is OK with me - it looks like he needs all the help he can get.
    No, if I know what they are and I'm only a teenager, he's either too young to know what he's talking about, or a lost cause that I wouldn't care to bother with. Thanks for trying though, z71. Have a good one, and I'll catch up tomorrow.

thegrad
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's dial it back on the personal stuff, ok?
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    How can you say the 96-00 was the last "good" generation? I'm curious as what you mean by that...no harm intended, just curious as to the merits of the "good" ones vs. the 2001 + "bad" ones?

Well, I guess I have a few reasonings. First off, and this one may not hold water, but I recall a lot less issues with the 96-00's when newer than the 01's and beyond. However, this may just be a result of more people finding places like this to vent about their cars as the internet evolved.

I guess my biggest reason for saying it was that I feel the 96-00 was the most complete Civic line. It catered to all types with sedan/coupe/hatch bodystyles. The styling was not breathtaking in any way, but you knew it was a Civic when you looked at it. And the design was also flexible as it was conservative enough for daily drivers and at the same time a blank canvas for the tuner world. The drivetrain was not truly powerful, save for the Si, but it was acceptable for the time. I can say that the power in my 99 is the bare minimum I would want, but more than enough for the majority.

Of course, just my opinion.

Dave
    Ok, fair enough :) . Thanks for a post without sarcasm...a rarity around these boards!
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    I aim to please...

Dave
  • good day ... I read with interest the comparison of the Mazda3 versus the Civic. This is not a new debate - for several years Consumer Reports had recommended both the Civic and the 3 (including the predessors the Protege and 323) Both are exceptional vehicles for the money. I am glad that Honda has caught up with the 3 in power and handling with the 2006. If I were to choose one over the other it would be the Mazda ... why? my opinions on the styling of the new Civic ... mechanically it is there .. but the front end looks like a Saturn and the dash ... oooohh yuch .. just does not work for me ..
    The Mazda is great looking from every angle ...
    Either car would be a better purchase over a Corolla ...

cheers

jd
  • czrczr Posts: 5
    Z71, I think you bought a lemon and you need to get over it. Every car manufacturer has them and you can't validate your reasoning by bringing up a old pickup that you have into the equation.

I think right now the comparison is reasonable and the comparison is STILL valid but you the Mazda3 is already 3 years old. That is a huge difference but if the 3 is beating up on the new civic right now in comparisons, what is to come of a all-new 3 in a year or two?

Before the model change, Mazda is coming out with the Mazdaspeed3 which will destroy the Civic Si in every category. But I digress, those will account for a minscule amount of sales. Then, will also relaunch an all-new Mazda3. But, then we can say that we are comparing an old Civic to a new Mazda. :cry:

Conclusion: In the world of compact cars, buy the civic and you get a proven, get-the-job-done car and you get vanilla. Buy the Mazda and have a compact driver's car and live a little. Performance numbers don't lie and qualititative numbers show it. But most importantly, extensively test drive both and find out for yourself.

Disclaimer: I do not own either but if I did, I wouldn't do boring.
    I think right now the comparison is reasonable and the comparison is STILL valid but you the Mazda3 is already 3 years old. That is a huge difference but if the 3 is beating up on the new civic right now in comparisons, what is to come of a all-new 3 in a year or two?

Very true, and I am going to bring up this dead horse again, but with fuel economy numbers that are 5-9mpg less than the Civic, it darn well better deliver better performance! In a year or two, if the 3 has its current power with the Civic's economy, THEN I will be very impressed and first in line for one, but the current set-up "don't impress me much". My 2006 Accord has the more horsepower and more torque figures than the Mazda, yet also delivers better fuel economy (26/34) vs. (26/32) has a lot more room and weight to carry around (you know our Honda's have to lug around all of our standard safety features (Airbags and the like).

That's why I'm not really impressed with what the 3 accomplishes.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    My 2006 Accord has the more horsepower and more torque figures than the Mazda, yet also delivers better fuel economy (26/34) vs. (26/32) has a lot more room and weight to carry around

yeah but your Accord is about as exciting as a 5lb bag of fertalizer. Good car, just dull. Nothing wrong with vanilla but some folks really like rocky road or cherry swirl.
    Before the model change, Mazda is coming out with the Mazdaspeed3 which will destroy the Civic Si in every category

You are right about that, but, a major negative would be price. The Civic Si is around $20K. I don't see the MS3 being any less than $25K, but, I could be wrong. It will most likley pair up with the Subaru WRX, but, AWD is doubtfull.
  • Actually, It will be interesting to see if you both have to eat your words!

Time will tell we will see how the MazdaSpeed3 compares with the Civic Si!

Cruis'n,

MidCow
    Actually, It will be interesting to see if you both have to eat your words!

Boy, those word's won't taste good either!

It should perform better. It will have the 2.3L MZR DISI Turbo. HP has not been announced, though. It most likely not be as much as the MS6, which is 274. So, if it does not perform better, it will be pretty big dissapointment for Mazda.
  • Yes,

But every aspect of perfromance includes saloom times, braking and handling not just pure 0-60, 5-60,50-70 and 0 to 1/4 times.

Then theres always the more intrinsic factors: mgp, maint costs, insurance costs, price, reliability.

I am just saying I personally don't consider it a slam dunk.

I was going to get a 2006 Rallye Red SI w/NAV via a special order I placed last December. When it fell through, and maybe that was just fate, I bought a new red 2006 S2000 at invoice. I am estatic, just can't wait until it is broken in.

Cheers,

MidCow
    I never said it was a slam dunk either, but, it is still 2 years away, so, everything you hear on it is purely speculation, except what engine it will get.

I like the S2000, good luck with it.
    It may not be quite as good as the Mazda 6, but it's darn close! It handles better than any other car I've driven, and that includes the Audi A4 Cabriolet I drove last November. Has more pick-up, too.
    But every aspect of perfromance includes saloom times, braking and handling not just pure 0-60, 5-60,50-70 and 0 to 1/4 times.

Well, considering the current production Mazda3 has great handleing, braking, one would think the MS3 would improve on that. But, like I said before, the car is still 2 years away.
  • Aviboy97,

Good points and if your are right then both ( Mazdaspeed3 and Civic sI) will be better than just about anything else out there for the price!

Cheers,

MidCow
  • im laughing at you guys. well, i have driven both mazda 3s and civics coz my friends have them. i am asian as well as my friends here and we sometimes do random race at atco with our stock cars for fun. the civics regardless of it's engine and other specifications worth mentioning is pale compared to the mazda 3s. on the other hand the mazda 3 handles the way it was meant to be. if i have to choose one i'd go with the mazda. we are not talking about what car year ok because i had tried most of them 1995-up cause they changed cars as often, we exchanged or borrowed them like girlfriends, too. now comfortwise and all that interior stuff which really doesnt matter to me, well, both are good. but to tell you the truth, these two are just comparable if not at all to a dodge neon with the 150 hp on it. i've seen it many times the lowly neons take on these civics and now this mazdas effortlessly. i am asking the same questions as my friends cause we own these civics and mazdas and here is a neon just so effortlessly hums by. well, civics and mazda owners if you've got a chance try to provoke a neon with yours and see for yourself. i'd seen it many times. i've been thinking that comparisons are just one way of branding, right? but the real test is out there happening all the time. civics, yeah it's good and so is the mazda 3 and even the toyotas that i've driven but i havnt seen it whip a neon, well, maybe granny neon but not a funky neon. think again. hope this helps. and comparisons? compare both to a neon instead. id buy mazda 3 or 6 though, aesthetically that is, and yes, hope it runs quick, too.
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    A fun comparison will be between the MS3 and the
    2007 Civic SI sedan
  • The concept was equipped with 18-inch wheels and Brembo brakes with drill brake rotors. Those features won’t be on the production Si sedan, but a version of the concept’s decklid-mounted wing will be standard. "

Great. They'll leave the stuff that's really important. ;)
  • Mazda will be unveiling the turbocharged Mazdaspeed 3 at the Geneva Auto show later this month. Here is the link.
    http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/200602/0213.html
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Terrific! In two weeks the new Mazdaspeed3 gets unveiled; perhaps it'll reach the showrooms this fall!

Mazda Motor Corporation will showcase the world premiere of the new high-performance Mazda3 MPS ... at the 76th annual Geneva International Motor Show to be held from Tuesday, 28 February through Sunday, 12 March 2006.