Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    very interesting post.

From what I have read, the Euro spec Ford Focus is really kick a$$. Great handling, style, and performance. I believe there is a Focus with 300hp out in Europe now?

Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase.
  • igor2igor2 Posts: 148
    I am actually in the US now and owned a US spec Focus..

but the C1 Focus in Europe is a kicking machine. the ST has a 5cylinder turbo with 250hp and some 265 ft/lb torque.
    It is a truly amazing driving machine that I wish we had here..

Really the global (non US) Focus can serve as an example how different Ford NA is from FoMoCo...

Igor
  • aleeycatttaleeycattt Posts: 1
    I DROVE THE MAZDA 3 AND HONDA CIVIC ON A COURSE. IF YOU TAKE A BASE MAZDA 3 S AND COMPARE TO A CIVIC EX. THE CIVIC WILL TAKE IT ANY DAY. I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU EVEN TEST THE GRAND TOURING MODEL AGAINST AN EX CIVIC. WE ALL KNOW THAT THE BIGGER WHEELS WILL GIVE YOU ANY CAR BETTER TRACTION ON A COURSE. YOU SHOULD PUT A HONDA SI ON THE TRACK AND COMPARE TO THE 3 GRAND TOURING. THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE. AND SPEEKING OF PRICE RANGE. YOU SAID THAT IF YOU TOOK THE MOONROOF AND SOME OTHER THING AWAY IT WOULD ONLY BE A THOUSAND MORE. THAT IS CRAZY, BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE A HONDA CIVIC LX. WHICH IS ONLY 18K AND THAT IS WITH THE NEW PRICE INCREASE. THAT WAS NOT IN AFFECT WHEN YOU DID THE TEST. JUST FACE IT MAZDA IS NOT COMPARABLE TO CIVIC PRICE RIDE OR QUALITY. WE KNOW THAT SAFETY MAZDA IS WAY OFF THE CHART IN SAFETY. 4 STAR FRONTAL CRASH TEST AND 3 STAR SIDE IMPACT. THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.
    Oh boy....where to begin. I don't really see where the base Mazda3 S Vs the Honda Civic EX road challenge goes to the Civic. Every piece of literature out there say's other wise, as well as almost every Honda Civic/Mazda3 owner can say the Mazda3 out performs the Civic.

The Honda Civic has 16" wheels, as does the base Mazda3. Not to mention the 20 more horses that the Mazda3 has. 17" tires are not going to equate to "stomping" the Honda Civic in Edmunds road test. It's the total package. Handling/acceleration all go to Mazda. I don't see how you came up with you conclusion. Must be Honda bias.

Also, if the Civic and Mazda3 are equipped equally, the price is basically the same.

The only somewhat correct thing you mentioned was safety. The ratings are not great. But, they were not tested w/ side airbags..not saying it would have done better in the tests, but, it could not have hurt.
    SAB have huge impact on side impact rating...

and to the OP ofthis rant.. I love the Si.. but the GT is no comparison to the Si. .the GT is no performance model.. the performance model is the coming Mazdasopeed3 with 260hp... that should be a cake for the Si to take on the the trasck right?

people are silly... Si asside, the Civic has some crucial shortcomings and the engine and suspension are the two bigest ones.

Igor
  • mongoose65mongoose65 Posts: 31
    Holy moly, this guy is either really daft, is flat out lying or a Honda dealer!!! I drove them both and none of what you say is true. In fact, you are completely at odds with ALL of the reviews and 90% of the review rags are generally Honda worshippers. The Mazda drives circles around it.

You have a valid point about the safety ratings, but as others have mentioned, Mazda was tested without the side airbags (which doesn't speak well for them). However, I feel pretty good knowing that the suspension is part-Ford design and the chassis is mostly Volvo and I trust their safety reputation more than anyone else.

After seeing so so many slanted reviews about the wonders of Hondas, I don't put it past any of these rags and raters to have Honda in their pockets. Besides, when I commute to work amongst the zillion SUV's and even tractor trailers, I don't think either of these compacts is going to save my [non-permissible content removed]. I feel better knowing my car has nimble handling, quick response and sharp braking. The Mazda won all of these hands down.

The Honda handled corners like my prior SUV, a little sloppy and swaying and the brakes felt like mashed potatoes. The Mazda was closer to the Si or the Acura TSX but for $4k and $10k cheaper respectively.

I'm not bashing Honda. The Civic is a great car for under $20k and Honda makes great products in general. I am however, bashing your review as it was flat out ridiculous!!!
    another troll warning ---- join date May 1st .. this is his/her only post.

Igor
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    EVERYBODY makes a post on the day they join. The fact that a person only finds one subject to comment on doesn't make them a troll and name-calling is inappropriate.

There are lots of lurkers here and sometimes they finally have something they want to post - obviously, they have to join to do that.

Now, please I don't want posts explaining to me anything further about trolls - email me if you want to discuss it.

The only reason I'm replying here is because I keep seeing more and more accusations that someone is a troll because they joined and made one post. It's just incorrect to make that assumption.

Apologies for the interruption - again, email me with any responses, don't allow any further disruption here. Thanks!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Is anyone awake in here? ANYONE?
  • jme99jme99 Posts: 4
    I've had my 3 for over 2 years now, which is the real point where you know if you like your car or not. You'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands to get it from me. I absolutely love it. No A/C problems and no engine problems either. I will say I think the electronic throttle has a slight delayed reaction that can be a little annoying at times, driving a 5-speed. It seems to make take off on hills kind of limp. After this much time with the car, it's easy to adjust to this issue though. At 30k miles now, this car is still a joy to drive to and from work daily. I feel like I own one of the 'smartest' buys on the road today. On the highway, this thing is absolutely zippy. It accelerates very well at cruising speed. It's sporty, practical, well built, and well equipped in all areas. The small car $20 grand market is definitely chasing the 3 for now. The Civic has been the traditional bench mark in this category for many years, but Mazda definitely raised it's game with this car and made Honda take note. For those of you looking to buy in this market segment, you can't ignore this car; even if you have been a traditional Honda loyalist. I brought a 7' bookcase home once in this car...all doors closed. It leaves me with nothing to be desired in a car. :)
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 275
    Are you in the USA? Do you have climate control in your 3? How often do you use your A/C and at what setting?

Considering the lack of customer service and acknowledging or dealing with issues with their vehicles, it is safe to say that there others like me who will not own another Mazda again. According to the lemon-aide guide, Honda is one of the few auto makers that may cover you even if you are out of warranty if item.
    I am in the US. No, I don't have climate control. I use my A/C regularly in the warmer months (Northeastern climate).

I can't agree to having any negative dealings with Mazda's CS. This is my second Mazda and I was happy with the first one as well (MX-6); although that car served bare minimum transportation purposes (spare me the responses everyone that was not a fan of the car). I wasn't asking it to do a lot in the way of performance or features.

My dealership is clean, courteous, and timely whenever my car goes in for servicing. I can't speak on any Honda experiences because I've never owned one. They make nice cars, but when I drove a Civic while shopping it left me wondering if something else was out there with a little more...energy. When I drove the 3, it just seemed like a better product.
    Hey, I'm just glad you didn't have to tell people you paid for a Probe (the Mazda MX-6 clone). That just sounds like you like uncomfortable medical procedures!
    jme99, you must be carrying a horseshoe around or some other form of luck. :surprise:
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Posts: 267
    Honda has quality, reliability and engineering on its side. Honda is known world wide for its excellent engines. Mazda has struggled financially for years and is owned by Ford Motor Co. I have driven the 3S and to me the Honda equals its performance. Plus, I like the interior much better. The AC is very COLD. I don't think Mazda will be in business much longer, maybe a few years until they are absorbed by Ford completely. Don't get me wrong, the 3 is an improvement over the Protege (which I owned a 2001 ES). For people comparing the digital speedometers to Buick, your obviously just making comments to insult Honda. Everyone who owns one loves them. While the 3 is more "sports tuned" in the suspension, how come must kids buy hondas to tune? Mazda has a bad reputation, not entirely deserved, but it does have one. The Mazda 3 is a good car, but the Civic blows it away for most drivers.
    I doubt Mazda is going anywhere anytime soon...

Mazda has quite a boom going on right now, especially now that it is about to release two new SUV models. The 3 sedan has better performance than the Civic, but can't match the Civic's economy. It's a tradeoff that people have to choose between, but there is no "wrong choice."

Most kids buy Honda's to tune (or used to, anyway, I'm not seeing many tuner Civics from the 2001+ model years) because of the massive number of parts available, mainly because they are best-sellers (the cars, not the parts). More cars sold = a larger market for potential tuners. The sportier car to drive is definitely the Mazda 3s.

I've driven a Civic, a 2006 EX Sedan, and it left me hungry for a little more low-end kick. I'm a Honda guy through and through (I'm a 2-Accord owner currently) but I certainly see the appeal of the Mazda 3, and think due to the appeal of the Mazda's sporty nature, i don't think Mazda will be any less of a company 15 years down the road, as long as they keep things going well like they are now.

Now, as far as a car company being absorbed by Ford...well, we'd need to take that over to the Mercury boards.
  • mongoose65mongoose65 Posts: 31
    Have to disagree almost completely. I drove both with an open mind and the Mazda was sooo much more fun to drive and was more stylish. I truly HATED the digital dash on the Honda. I could not find anything in all my pre-purchase research to suggest in the slightest that Mazda has a "bad reputation." In fact, I found just the opposite.

The bottom line is resale value. If it weren't, Hyundai and maybe even Kia would be much more highly rated these days. It's the poor resale that holds them back. Historically Honda and Toyota are the kings, but it's Japanese cars in general. I matched up 2004 Cicic EX's and Mazda3's with similar mileage and found them to have nearly identical resale values. The only ones better in the class were the Mini Coopers (big demand, little supply) and the Acura TSX (much more $$$).

So far so good with my Mazda. I felt like a total shnook in the civic. My Mazda gets compliments from my friends with Infinitis and Beamers. They are shocked at how zippy it is and how it handles for the price. And it looks pretty sharp, too.

As always though...civic and mazda3, both great cars for under 20k.
    I felt like a total shnook in the civic.

A shnook? This southern fella has never heard the term "shnook" before! A little help for the southern guy please?

By the way, everything else in your post made pretty good sense.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    If you get a car with a problem they will not fix it -

I wish Honda would sell the Mazda3 as the Civic3 - then maybe I would be willing to take a chance on a 2007 model - but considering I know how bad Mazda treats CUSTOMERS that have defective cars it would be hard to buy another car from them.
    Mazda has struggled financially for years and is owned by Ford Motor Co

They DID struggle, not anymore. If you check their earnings report for 2005, they had a monster year. Go to mazdaUSA.com to see for yourself. And so what if they are owned by Ford Mo Co? The Mazda3 is a [non-permissible content removed] car all the way. Built in Japan, designed by the Japanese. More Japanese then the Civic is (built in the US)

Mazda has a bad reputation, not entirely deserved, but it does have one. The Mazda 3 is a good car, but the Civic blows it away for most drivers.

Take a look at CR, and Mazda rates very high as a company, only Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura and Infiniti and Subaru rate higher. Besides, this forum is about Civic Vs. Mazda3, NOT Honda Vs. Mazda. The Mazda3 is one of the highest rates cars in the segment. Right there with the Civic. I don't know where you get your "bad reputation" from. If you are basing that on Ford influenced vehicles, why don't you take a look at the Honda Passport, wait, you might say that's not really a Honda, well, same goes for Ford derived Mazda's.

Most drivers concede that the Mazda3 blows the Civic away, performance wise anyway. Even Civic owners will attest to that.

It just comes down to which car fits your style better. For some it's the Mazda3, and some it's Honda. I have said a gabillion times, each car is a winner. And they are.
    Think about it.

You say "Besides, this forum is about Civic Vs. Mazda3, NOT Honda Vs. Mazda"

So when you have a problem with your Mazda3 where do you take it to get it fixed? Do you take it to Mazda3? Or to Mazda? Its hard to not bring in some points about the company that is standing behind your new car -

I like the Mazda3 better than the Civic - but Mazda does not stand behind the cars they sell - this is not something I read in a car magazine - its something I know first hand - from owning a Mazda3 for almost 2 1/2 years -

I would love it if someone would prove me wrong - only one way to do that - post some information about how Mazda has finally stepped up to the plate and issued a TSB to fix the weak defective AC system. Someone please prove me wrong.
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Posts: 98
    In the recent JD Powers ratings for initial owner problems Mazda was rated near the bottom (# 147 out of 150). Not good...
    I don't think it has much to do with luck with the 3.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    I have driven the 3S and to me the Honda equals its performance."

Your impression is wrong according to hard data
  • samtheman1samtheman1 Posts: 10
    I drove them back to back and I'm getting the 3s. You can feel more snap with the 2.3 and I'll gladly sacrifice 2-3 mpg to have the low end torque on tap. Also, I'd strongly recommend the manual over the automatic. But, as said before, drive them yourself and decide what you like.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "In the recent JD Powers ratings for initial owner problems Mazda was rated near the bottom (# 147 out of 150). Not good... "

That is a 90 day survey I think which people complain about cup holders and their cups not fitting into a cupholder. People also list road noise as a compaint in those surveys. I have read about those 90 day surveys and they are not even worth paying attention too.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "Mazda has a bad reputation, not entirely deserved, but it does have one."

Mazda does not have a bad reputation they (Mazda) just don't have a good perception of reliability when compared to Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. Mazda's are not known for being cars that can run into high mileadge like the Japanese Big 3 cars can. I still see plenty of 95-98 Protege's and 93-97 626's running on the road today though.

I have owned both Honda(acura) and Mazda products by the way and definately will be looking at both companies for my next purchase of car.
    Mazda does not have a bad reputation they (Mazda) just don't have a good perception of reliability when compared to Honda, Toyota, or Nissan.

It's not perception, it's reality. That's also what these surveys from JD Powers show. Mazda's reliability is sinking fast. ONe day, Mazda will be known as the Japanese Ford.
    No general statement will be true in every case -

In general - Honda & Toyota sell cars because they are known for excellent reliability - Mazda sells cars because they are fun to drive.

That is why the best case would be a "Mazda" that is sold by Toyota or Honda - it would not have as many problems to start with - and if something did go wrong with the car you could take it to the dealership and they would fix it. Which is something Mazda will not always do - even for obvious defects. I don't understand why they will not stand behind the cars they sell - my guess would be - they see it as an expense - When Honda and Toyota have problem cars (which they do) they see it as a threat to their hard earned reputation of building reliable cars - so they have much more to lose - so they jump on the problem and fix it.

People that buy based on reliability will not keep buying the same brand if they have unresolved problems -

But people who buy a car because it is fun to drive will accept more problems - they see it as the price of having a fun car. Just like they will accept tires that wear out after 20K - if they provide better cornering - and less MPG for more speed / power.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's get back to comparing the Civic to the Mazda3. We've spent enough time on the companies themselves.