Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3

1383940414244»

Comments

• sonnyrockersonnyrocker Posts: 126
    It was down to the Civic and Mazda3 for me...and I picked Mazda over Civic for the same reasons you just mentioned. I just don't like the look of the new Civic at all. Honda dealer didn't seem to want my business as bad as Mazda, their loss. This is the 2nd time I wanted a Civic and got the "take it or leave it" from Honda dealer, too bad. And you get more for the money by buying a Mazda3. The 3s also have high resale values.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    And you get more for the money by buying a Mazda3

Good point.

I heard that Honda was delaying the announcement or a new Civic to better equip it to compete with the current segment leaders. In recent years, the competition has caught up to and passed the Civic as far as content goes.

Message to Honda: When Kia is offering much more of a car at a lower price, you have a problem.
  • ecofunecofun Posts: 23
    edited June 2010
    Have not posted since I got my last 3 in 2007. It was a super car. I should note the my other two cars are Hondas. My 2007 3gt manual cost my $0 to operate except oil and filter for 60,000 miles with the exception of a 30,000 mile routine service and new tires. This car was a joy to drive. I much prefer the seats in this car vs my 2004 Honda EXV6. By the way, these hondas are not the only two I've owned...4 in total. While I love the reliability of the Hondas, they are far from perfect. I have sunk plenty of money into them. But at least for 63,521 miles, my 07 Mazda 3 was flawless.

I took it in for an oil change a few weeks ago and walked out with my new 2010...same model with all the bells and whistles. My first impression is that IT IS a significantly better car. It feels more expensive, better insulated, and handles better. And it's quicker. There is nothing more you could ask of this car within reason. I would not hesitate to recommend either my old or new model 3 over the Civic. Reliability should not be an issue. Period. Unless you have owned both, Civic owners should no longer kid themselves that they have the more reliable car. If you have been on the fence about a 3 based on reliability, go buy one now while 0% financing is in effect.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    It's been years since I owned a Honda, but, my family still has a couple. My brother has a 2004 Accord EX-L V6 with 110,000 on it (inherited from my father at 75,000) and outside if routine maintenance, has been pretty good. I do believe my father had a vapor lock issue when it would not start and there was a tranny issue as well.

Civic's are very good cars. I have no reason to talk bad about them other then their lack of sportiness and content offered.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,453
    My 2007 MS3 has been faultless since it needed a new LF strut and turbo at around 25,000 miles. It now has over 60,000 miles on it and I think I'll fit some Bilsteins, a Hypertech flash, and some track wheels and tires. That should keep me amused for at least a couple of years. That said, I wouldn't consider a new MS3. It's gained weight and it's not available in Grand Touring trim. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but it doesn't make the cut for me.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Im choosing whether or not to get a Mazda3 or a Civic. Both would be 2013. I like the Mazda cause it's a lot faster than the Civic, (its also a 6-speed), but shifting on it is also a lot harder than the civic. Mainly, I'm just looking for a fast car that would be good for drifting. I'd love to hear all of your comments.

Also, which is more comfortable interior wise? Seats, dash, etc.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    I don't agree with you that the Mazda3 6MT is a lot harder to shift than the Civic. I think the Mazda3's stick is very easy and fun to shift.

My preference is the Mazda3, but I would definitely go for the all-new 2014 Mazda3 now that it's out, as it has an improved interior, improved fuel economy, etc. Looks a lot better too, IMO. Will cost a little more than a left-over 2013, but if you want to go that route, why not save a LOT of money and get a slightly-used (maybe CPO) 2012 Mazda3?