Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3

Comments

• No, it's not a large enough sample size...
    I already pointed to other reliability surveys (consumer's report, and the link in my previous post) that contradict that JD powers report. You can't simply look at a single survey even and come to conclusions.

5 out of 2000 isnt much compared to 100% now is it? Nor is 5 much compared to 45,000.

LOL, you picked the wrong day to knock Mazda's reliability compared to Honda's.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    Oh, and here's a report saying Mazda tops reliability rankings (Honda is a very close second):

That report is very flawed: Check out from post 53 on:
    http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=15282.30

In life, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Also, any dealership even Toyota will see all sorts of problems because that's what they do, fix cars. If no vehicle had any problems there will be no need for dealers to have service advisors and mechanics. Therefore, it's a irrevelant that a Honda Service Manager says he sees lots of Hondas in every day. The fact is, there are lots of Hondas out there. There is absolutely no make and model out here that have little repairs going on. The old Maytag commercial is only a fantasy.

Using JD Powers, which is more credible, IMO than Car and Driver, clearly shows that the Mazda is less reliable than a Honda.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    As mentioned earlier, any manufacturer and model can be a lemon. However, the law of probability has to be considered and weighed in your purchase decision. If you believe JD Powers (my experience has been completely accurate with all their surveys when it comes to reliability) then buying a Mazda will only increase your chances of having issues.

Unfortunately, many people think that the Mazda3 is a "cheap car" and therefore, dismiss any issues with their car because they feel it is cheap. At the same time, some people will buy a problem plagued Range or Land Rover despite knowing that and most British Cars are incredibly unreliable.

At the end of the day, do your own research and decide what you want.
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Posts: 103
    I agreed w/ you the first time... ;) Very good point made!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Therefore, it's a irrevelant that a Honda Service Manager says he sees lots of Hondas in every day. The fact is, there are lots of Hondas out ther

I said "newer Hondas in for major and minor repairs..." They have just as many repairs as the next car... :P
  • I too am wondering about the clicking noise at the base of the windshield. Any luck? Love the car, just not crazy about the clicking.
  • >>Using JD Powers, which is more credible, IMO than Car and Driver, clearly shows that the Mazda is less reliable than a Honda. "

You continue to confuse Initital Quality with reliability
  • To be fair to ex_tdier, JD Powers does also put out a 3year quality/reliability study. Mazda slightly trails the industry average in that one while Honda and Toyota do pretty well. Incidentally, Ford does really well in that one as well, with Mercury second (and ahead of Honda), and Ford and Lincoln not too far behind Honda.

Are people willing to concede that Mercury cars are more reliable than Honda based on JD Powers summary?

As for the warranty survey, what is so flawed about the survey. The link you directed us to really gave no insight as to what was really flawed with the survey. I could only find one guy who was complaining about the fact that only idiots would buy an extended warranty from warranty direct (so only if you are an idiot who buys Mazda, you'll be ok, but if you're an idiot who buys a make that doesnt do so well, your reliability drops.)

Here are the pros and cons of the warranty survey that I see:
    Pros:
    they look at time points beyond 3 years
    they only look at major repairs
    they include true owners of vehicles (the vehicles are actually coming in for repairs, not just complaints or false reports, etc.)

cons:
    their sample is limited to people who buy their warranty (is this sample biased in any significant way? I don't see how it is.)
    they are in business to make money (they might skew results to make the most money)
    they look only at major repairs

For JD Powers:
    Pros:
    they try to maintain an unbiased sample size using industry approved methods.
    they try to make sure that owners are true owners.
    they ask over 200 questions in some of their surveys and cover many aspects of owner satisfaction

Cons:
    they are in business to make money (results could be skewed for their own interests)
    they include things beyond major repairs in their rankings
    they are not very clear about how survey results translate into their rankings system.

ex_tdier, it's not wise to give more credence to one survey just because it jives with your personal experience. My own experience with Mazda and Honda doesn't agree with JD Powers at all, but I don't disregard JD Powers results.

As I said before, I don't take one survey and use those results as a Bible. Instead, try to look at what each survey is really looking at and come to your own conclusions.
    Very detailed, clear and concise. Great post.

I think you can throw Consumer Reports in that mix. However, I have to say their long term reliability seems to be fairly accurate.
  • These are the two top contenders for our next car.
    Can anyone help with a real world comparison ?
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Do you think age of the buyer plays a role in the survey outcome??
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Well, one is a large car, one is a sporty compact.

Not sure what you are really looking for though. If you want a sporty sedan, the 3 is a good bet, but not nearly the size of the Sonata. If you need a family-size car, I'd go for the Sonata. If you need a sporty family-sized car, look at the Mazda 6, Ford Fusion, and Honda Accord.
  • Not sure how you can compare the 2 heads up. The base Sonata is at least $6-$10k more than a base Mazda3. Maybe a better comparison is the Sonata vs the Mazda6, in which case I'd go with the Sonata mostly because the M6's are made in Mexico and have had problems (except I owned a Hyundai...great vehicle, horrible dealership...complete idiots and time wasters). Anyway, for the money, I think the M3 is better than both, but not if size is the issue and you want a midsize.
    I'd go with the Sonata mostly because the M6's are made in Mexico and have had problems

Mazda6 is built in Flat Rock, MI. Mazda6 4cyl have been very good, much better then the V6.
  • I stand corrected. You are correct, sir.

My confusion upon reading about the Ford Fusion (and European version, Mondeo) built in mexico and built upon the Mazda6 platform.
    Common misconception! You are not the first, and wont be the last ;)
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Excellent! The 2006 survey is also interesting. The Mazda3 rates highly overall (rated 22nd of 152 vehicles).
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Table to illustrate the reliability ratings of 450,000 vehicles by manufacturer. Position Manufacturer Incidence rate (%)

This is in Europe, guys, but still interesting:

1 Mazda 8.04%
    2 Honda 8.90%
    3 Toyota 15.78%
    4 Mitsubishi 17.04%
    5 Kia 17.39%
    6 Subaru 18.46%
    7 Nissan 18.86%
    8 Lexus 20.05%
    9 Mini 21.90%
    10 Citroen 25.98%
    11 Daewoo 26.30%
    12 Hyundai 26.30%
    13 Peugeot 26.59%
    14 Ford 26.76%
    10 Citroen 25.98%
    11 Daewoo 26.30%
    12 Hyundai 26.30%
    13 Peugeot 26.59%
    14 Ford 26.76%
    15 Suzuki 27.20%
    16 Porsche 27.48%
    17 Fiat 28.49%
    18 BMW 28.64%
    19 Vauxhall 28.77%
    20 Mercedes 29.90%
    21 Rover 30.12%
    22 Volvo 31.28%
    23 Volkswagen 31.44%
    24 Jaguar 32.05%
    25 Skoda 32.12%
    26 Chrysler 34.90%
    27 Audi 36.74%
    28 Seat 36.87%
    29 Renault 36.87%
    30 Alfa Romeo 39.13%
    31 Saab 41.59%
    32 Land Rover 44.21%
    33 Jeep 46.36%
    Interesting.

It is amazing how different surveys give different results on the same vehicles. However, they top 10 are usually the same top 10, just in a different order. Same goes for the bottom of the list as well.