Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300 Touring vs Chevy Impala 3.9L

79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
I've been doing some researching on the Chrysler 300 and the Impala( newly redesigned ) and found that they are very very close. The 300 Touring with the 3.5L V6 averaged 19/27 mpg and the impala avgeraged the same. The Impala had 8 less horsepower and 8 less torque to the 250 of the Chrysler. The Impala price range was $3000 cheaper than the 300 evening up the boards. Both are well known cars that have a good reputation and the are an abundanse of them on the road today so what is the superior car in yawlls mind and why. Is there some problem with either or a specific spec the either excels in or are they pretty equal. Any input will be appreciated.

Comments

• zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    I ordered an '06 3LT Impala today. I like the looks of the 300, but was more comfortable in the Impala. I had $3200 in GM card earnings, so that probably also influenced my choice. I had an opportunity to buy the 300 at employee price, but I still liked the Chevy better. I agree that both of these cars are nice and it just boils down to personal preference. Have you checked out the Ford 500? It's also a nice car. The only problem that I could find with it is that it feels underpowered. If you don't have a heavy foot, you might want to consider it.
  • 79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
    Yeah, Ford made a mistake putting the underpowered 3.0L V6 in a car that heavy. Acceleration falls short to others in the class and the engine revving higher when you gun it to increase performance can't be good on the engine long term.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Yeah, Ford made a mistake putting the underpowered 3.0L V6 in a car that heavy. Acceleration falls short to others in the class and the engine revving higher when you gun it to increase performance can't be good on the engine long term.

Ford has made promises to have a 250 HP 3.5L V-6 for such cars as the Fusion and Five Hundred. Unfortunately, delays just keep on coming on this engine, leaving the old Taurus engine to soldier on through 2006.
  • 79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
    Ford should hav delayed the 500 and the Fusion another year to then. either Ford needs to finish the car and turn it out or not. Fords car situation is getting rough. I hope they don't go under when the silverado overtakes the F-150 #1 truck spot in the next few years. Ford sure should'nt be counting on there cheap, unfinished, underpowered, cookie cutter cars to pull the load. This is why Toyota overtook Ford as #2 automaker in the world. Ford focus's no effort on there cars. 3.0L V6 in a heavy car like the 500, give me a break :confuse:
  • baron8baron8 Member Posts: 1
    I planing to purch a chrysler 300 touring with 30000 mile. But befor i do that i would like something more about this vehicle , can someone tell me more, what kind of issues i can expected etc.

Thanks a lot
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Check out the Impala forums on Edmunds regarding problems with the Impala. You'll see that the Impala has issues with the Stabilitrak system (i.e., GM's version of electronic stability control) that causes the vehicle to stall out at the most inopportune times (e.g. on the freeway). The 3900 V6 has leaking head gasket and crossover pipe issues that can be expensive to fix. However, a 2006 Impala with the 3900 engine may have had the head gasket already repaired under warranty and the 2006 model year may not have had the Stabilitrak option. If this is the case and if the Impala has been well-maintained, it could be a good used car buy. I have a 2007 Uplander with the 3900 V6 and no Stabilitrak. I just passed 87k miles and the van burns no oil and the transmission shifts smoothly. Good luck.