Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Will the diesel engine arrive in 2008 or 2009?

What about the rumor of a Accord Wagon?
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    this whole move to bloat the look of these sedans is not a good direction in my book.

i think the last thing they want to do is make the car look more like a camry. imho, the front-end and rear-end of the camry look absolutely terrible.

this car looks too much like the odyssey. no - not good. not svelt. bloated like suffering from water retention due to steriod intake.

i'm one hoping they are doing this to throw everyone off. as a loyal accord owner and fan, i would not buy this car.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Motor Trend has an article and more spy shots here:

http://tinyurl.com/ysc3wg
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854
    ......you know, I subscribe to MT. Somehow, we missed that (and the reference to the 3.5l six)

..cheers..

ea..
  • bruuklinbruuklin Posts: 29
    I'll also resevre final judgment for the release, but my initial gut reaction wasn't great. I think the pics on Motor Trend look a little like a Sonata, and that's not a compliment. Very bland.

We'll see. Maybe when it's spruced up for the launch it will look better.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I think (yes, maybe ONLY I) that this 2008 Accord sedan looks much cleaner and leaner than the puffier Camry. I'm also happy to see no "Bangle-Butt" on the rear. People mentioned the TL's character line. Notice, something is taped up in the picture. It may be that line.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    The tape covering all the lines doesn't exactly have a flattering effect. Since Honda gave us an early look at the coupe, maybe we will get an early look at the sedan too. Is there an auto show coming in the near future?
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    O.k. It's larger but it's certainly not bulbous and borderline odd like the Camry. It will look better and more chiseled of a piece when all tape is off.
    "Is there an auto show coming in the near future?"

No. The New York International Auto Show, earlier this month, was the last one for this year.
    that's good. i hope you are correct. the more i look at the thing, the more i see of the odyssey. it's growing on me a tad.

recently i looked closely at the front end of a camry in our parking lot at work. couldn't believe how much space there was behind the bumper and in front of the radiator.

what was Toyota thinking (presuming they were thinking)?
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,559
    The best idea I've come up with is that it has something to do with the European's pedestrian safety-related crash regs, which require a high front end, perhaps with a crush zone. Of course, maybe the stylists were drunk that day...
    funny... i had exactly the same two thoughts. however, if honda and others can do it and not have a disproportionate, protrusive, style mis-matched front-end, i presume toyota is astute enough to accomplish the same as well.

on the other-hand, the back-end is really truly horrific on that car, so i discounted the first possibility and figured they were getting hammered. :D
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I think if the accord is going to look like this, then its not as good as I expected, but I will wait to finalize my opinion when its officially out without the tape. I am really excited about it, but kinda disappointed, because the coupe looks great, and the sedan looks sorta blah. Well, I guess will find out soon. I would really like to see the interior. I think, when that time comes I'll get an 08, but I think I am ready for a head turner this time, so who knows.
    Unfortunately, it seems like Honda puts better designs in both the Accord and Civic coupes over the years, so I'm not too surprised. But it is a major improvement over the 2007, IMHO.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The bulbous front grille area is the only thing I don't like about the current Camry. If Toyota smoothed that out, the design would be vaguely Mazda-like, but I think it'd be very sharp. As is, I like the rear end of the Camry better than any other midsizer out there, save the Altima, and the sides of the vehicle have more contour and character than the former iteration. Some here have mentioned that the front end has to do with pedestrian safety measures, and I could swear I recall that being the case, having read that somewhere (unless it was on another one of these boards!).

I'm surprised on the reaction of this Accord. I think it will look sharp, and I like the angles. In general, I feel that sometimes as enthusiast we lose sight that these cars are designed for the masses, and generally vanilla designs are what sells. Personally, in this segment, I do think there is enough differentiation of style, but I'd like to see the mfrs. introduce stronger color palates.....silver and white make me cringe.

Just my .02.

:)
    ~alpha
  • austinman7austinman7 Posts: 313
    Couldn't agree more with the comment about car colors in general. Bland seems to be the operative word. Maybe that's just part of the overall middle-of-the-road appeal to the masses approach of mid-size sedans.

I'm old enough to remember some really interesting colors from the 1950s and '60s. Today, it seems gray, silver, white, and beige rule the day, and one manufacturer's beige is pretty much the same as the others.

The Volkswagen New Beetle, on the other hand, has some really interesting colors, to me. Can't really describe them, but there's a white and a sky blue, I think, that are like nothing else out there. I suppose Honda feels it's too risky to throw in some colors that would differentiate the Accord from the Camry, Altima, Sonata, etc. They did come up with a copper bronze recently that was a little different.

My reaction to these first photos is positive overall. Looks a little sportier to me than my current '04 Accord. The character line is a little like the Acura TL's.
    Yes, my wife's always had a red car. Now, no red cars, except Dodge...even the new Scion Xb has a very dark, murky set of colors. I imagine the Accord will follow suit, unfortuantely.
    a very bright red on the Camry, but I think its a bit too red/cartoony/fire-enginey. I used to like the 'Salsa Red' of the last generation. For either generation, I'd say that red is the slowest selling of the "colors".

~alpha
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Posts: 141
    It's always very dicy for manufacturers to stray from the tried and true palate of colours. We all remember the teal greens and purples of the 90's, fake wood decals in the 80's and 70's. Vinyl roofs and continental fake spare tires. More than a few people took a bath at resale time with cars whose colours or options were no longer in vogue. The consumer ultimately makes the choice of colours for the car company, with more than a few saying I would not purchase that colour or check that option just in case.

With nich vehicles like the Beetle that have limited sales you can get away with pushing the colour envelope. The Honda Accord however has to be attractive to the masses, and unfortunately, they want something that blends in and easy to resale.

Hopefully Honda will listen to the few of us and offer a crazy colour like the copper bronze or burnt amber you mentioned. :shades:
    I like the color blue of the Sonata (dark navy sort of), but I wasn't about to buy one just for the color. The blue the Accord has is just plain bad (too bright).
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Definitely is attractive when paired with all the silver, gold, and moonstones I see all day. :)

I see the Altima and Camry as similar in design. They're not different enough to say I love the Altima, but hate the Camry, or vice versa. They are two of the best looking in the class. ;)

The Camry SE is the best, and I'm not in love with the Maxima front end on the Altima. But both are attractive.

DrFill
    The Accord definitely needs some better colors. I ended up with Black. The only other color I thought was good was the Charcoal Gray. What ever happened to the famous Honda Green?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I know they had it as late as 2003/2004, but haven't seen any tropical green's lately. My grandmother's 2002 is that color, and a real bold beauty!
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I thought the Carbon Bronze and Graphite Pearl were fairly nice colors for the Accord. The Sapphire Blue Pearl is nice too. I don't think I've ever seen the Cool Blue Metallic

However, for me.... it is great to have a silver car again. While some have said it is boring, I find it timeless and classy. And the best part is that it is the perfect color to have in the rainy Pacific NW. Those dark colors are soooo hard to keep clean around here. :shades:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,443
    I have the graphite, but I think the cool blue is my favorite. My wife thought it was too close to the color of our Sienna though. :)
    I liked the Ivory leather on my 02 exl so I got the color then called cashmere beige. It's beautiful on my car w/ 2 coats of meguier's. I prefer the Ivory interior so am limited as to exterior color. I pick the color inside out. I do like the silver. It would match my bass boat. :)
    The best Accord green ever - and very popular at the time -was the '94 "Malachite" Green. That was also my favorite gen Accord, although it had several misses given the changing mid-nineties market, I thought it had the most character.

But I digress... where are the details on the '08! I need details!

~alpha
    What happened to any manufacturers' greens? They are becoming passe.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    as with the Cr-v, i don't think honda wants to win anymore HP wars. At most, the 3.2l v6 from the TL tuned for 260hp and the same I4 tuned for 170hp is all the accord needs.

If honda can find a way to make the accord keep the same sporty handling and make a 6MT/Automanual honda will be fine. Maybe a sunroof, trunk brake light, and signal mirrors on the EX and the EX v6 w/ nav priced at $28k and the accord will sell well!

-Cj :)
    No,man. 3.5 AVTEC w/275 hp and 265 ft lbs. 2.4 AVTEC w/180.hp.