Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    How many of you are going to actually try to do a deal on the 08 accord? Its going to be crazy, the dealers are going to love it...
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Rain sensing wipers has been on the net 4 months. I prefer to do my own wiping.
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    Now that external audio input is just about a must on all cars

The '07 doesn't have this, does it?
  • wardcowardco Member Posts: 27
    I'm pretty sure it's a dealer installed option.
    Hope so. I had much rather see push button starting.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...Hope so. I had much rather see push button starting.

...that's a tongue-in-cheek pronouncement, right?

..patiently, ez..
    Are you referring to Hondalink?

What I'm asking is if the current generation has an external audio input. Anybody out there with a current model that can answer that?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076

No it does not have an Aux in jack. 07 was a carryover from 06. 08 will have an aux in jack.
    The 08 accord will have an interface dial to control the navigation system. Not a touch screen like the current generation. It's similar to the RL, MDX, and RDX. The 08 dash design prohibits them to have a touch screen. I hear it will be a DVD system not one with an HDD. I would love to see a Hard drive based nav system. Then you can store some of your music on it. Plus hard drives I think are faster than DVD based systems. Backup camera wont be a standard feature on the navigation models. That will be an accessory.
    How are you able to get these kind of details on the 08 accord, and who is your source. No information has been released from honda about anything of the accord, if any, very little. Sounds very nice, but lets not get our hopes up or state things that are just rumored. Sorry to come off strong, but how do you know all of this? Also, being that the new accord will have more features this time, but they also have the fancier honda, which is Acura to contend with, they would have to be careful not to override Acura.
    I just assume it will have the interface dial. One member of Vtec.net knows some people in the loop about the interior. Some people claim it has some MDX in it but. Yes but the TL and TSX are getting redesigned pretty soon. Then they will have the tech features. The backupcamera is from collegehillshonda.com. A new ipod adaptor will come as well since the current one wont work on the 08 accord. I also hear they discontinued the current ipod adaptor.

Here is another list of accessories honda is planning.

Honda brand navigation system (Mounts in car)
    Accessory bluetooth like parrot maybe for non bluetooth models
    Remote start 2 way LCD
    ipod music link
    18" wheels will be available

These are some of the rumored accessories. Lets just say it's reliable.
    O.K. I'll take the remote start.
    These features sound very nice. I am so excited about the 08 accord, though nervous that I won't be able to get a good deal. I think I am going to send in quotes to all the dealers in my area and see what I have to work with. I really don't need the navi, but if I move away, it'll be a nice idea, but not for $30 more a month for just that. Bluetooth would be very handy. Hopefully I can get some great wheels on the accord, the 4cyl models seem to get jipped on the great wheels. Hopefully they make the new accord more option friendly, like the LE camry, you can get alot options on that model, leather, alloys, roof, it depends on what you want. I've seen one with hubcaps, but had the leather, wierd? a little. It also would be nice to have some cloth options, like sporty cloth, leather is nice, but if they had really nice sport cloth, Black, seats, I would pick that over the leather. I want the 08 coupe, but really want 4 doors, Im not sure I like the sedan.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    When they finally did away with pushbutton-starting in the 1940's, key-starting was considered a major technological innovation.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You really cannot get that many options on a Camry LE in real life. Only on paper.
    They only manufacture a few option combinations for each region and you can't special order custom combinations of options.
    There are so many models of Accords now with the SEs and VPs and EX with and without leather and available manual transmissions, that there are probably more configurations of the Accord available than Camrys in most areas.
    That all may be true in some ways, but no one can say Toyota hasn't made the Camry with lots of choices. The Accord SE is essentially no different than most of the other Accords (excluding VP), it just doesn't have a sun (moon) roof.
    Camry SE is quite a different car than it's other siblings, with its sport tuned suspension and IMO better looking honeycomb grill.
    A Camry buyer can get a LE that's fairly base or option it with the high-end stereo with bluetooth, alloys, etc.
    Apart from the transmission woes and the silly looking bulbous front grill, I think they did a pretty good job with the new Camry.
    Not that I plan to buy one, but I think we should give credit where it is due.
    You didn't get what I was saying.
    Even though it is listed as options, you CANNOT get the Camry LE with many options listed on their web site and in the brochures in many area because they simply do not manufacture them that way.

You cannot get a Camry LE 4 cylinder with the bluetooth stereo, stability control and many other options in California despite those being listed as options for that model.

You cannot get an XLE 4 cylinder with cloth and navigation despite that it appears you could order it that way. In fact, you cannot get an XLE 4 cylinder with navigation at all. You can easily get an Accord EX-L 4 cylinder with navigation and have choice of automatic or stick on top of that! More choices of Accords than the Camry.
    The only choice on the Camry is whatever very limited number of option combination packages Toyota chooses to manufacture and ship.

Out of curiosity, I just checked a Manhattan zip code and the 4 cylinder navi Camry XLE and Camry LE 4 cylinder with bluetooth stereo isn't available there either, so that's both coasts. Those options probably are not available anywhere.

Toyota has many "possible" option combinations, but not many "actual" option combinations.
    No credit is due to them for making misleading options lists.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    They (Toyota) can put anything down on paper as an option. But the chances of finding a car optioned exactly how you want it, are very slim. With new technology, and an ever increasing options lists, it's impossible to guess what each car buyer is going to want, on his/her car. I have, and you must come to grips with the fact, that you will have to pay for options you don't want, or do without options you do want. That's life. :cry:
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    No need for an insider to know the nav layout info - it's obvious from pics of the inside of the prototype cars and the trend within Honda and the rest of the market. Virtually everyone is going to a screen high up in the dash (to get it closer to the line of vision) with some sort of controller in the center stack or by the arm rest. Another reason for the change away from touch screens is cost and reliability. Knowing that the lifespan of a hard drive is much shorter than that of a DVD drive, it's a no brainer to make the NAV a DVD based one. Sure, it's nice to have a HDD to put music and other data on in the car, but come failure time, the cost and hassle of replacement will be painful.

Actually, from some of the interior pics it seems like maybe all cars will have the high mounted center stack LCD screen - even cars without NAV.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I live in the Infamous SouthEast Region where Toyotas seem to be optioned differently from other Toyotas in the country.

Here you'll find splash guards, sunroof visors, ToyoGuard and even leather upholstery on LE and even CE Camry models.

I have seen about 10 Camry LE models with the Bluetooth/AM/FM/CD6/MP3 Option. Only problem is that all 10 of those models came with alloys, sunroof and rear lip spoiler. Every LE model with Bluetooth that I have seen has been equipted the same way with the same MSRP. I've seen Le's like this on about six different lots in the state of South Carolina.

So in the SE region you CAN get a LE with Bluetooth, but you Won't be able to get it as an option by itself. Toyota essentially bundles options together instead of them being a la carte.

With the price of LE's with the options I mentioned, smart people would simply seek out an XLE I4 with cloth and call it a day.
    Leather isn't even a factory option for those cars, so they added it on after the car was built.
    Toyota isn't doing that, the dealers are.
    What a horrible region to buy a Toyota, but they can always buy a Honda or something else if buyers don't like it.

Toyota buyers in that region probably don't know any different since that's "normal" for them and they have become used to it.
    I guess I should have mentioned that...it's a Toyota SE region thing. But the Gulf Region (Texas, Louisana, Mississippi, etc.) is just as bad.

But I really wish Honda would offer something along the lines of camry SE model.

A subtle rear lip spoiler, 18 inch alloy wheels, sports suspension and some alloy metallic trim maybe a 6psd manual for both the I4 and the V6.
    Are there interior pics of the new 08 accord?? Did miss that pic??
    Okay I found the pics, Sorry, temple of Vtec has them

I think the stereo and dash look a bit like the mazda 6 layout.

If you have more pics, let me know
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I really wish Honda would offer something along the lines of camry SE model.

Camry SE model is a fix in the lineup to offer a car that offers a bit of excitement compared to the LE/XLE trims, an attempt to compete with likes of Accord. And despite these attempts, Camry SE still finds itself unsettled on bumpy roads (I was following one today and had a laugh at the behavior of the chassis, with all the frills on board).

If Honda were to offer a sport model on Accord, it would be quite different from simply offering cosmetic upgrades (and minor chassis firming). I wish for that too, but doubt that is happening.
    EXV6 with manual is supposed to be sporty and all the Accords are somewhat more sporty than the typical Camry already. Besides that, there is both the TSX for 4 cylinder and the TL for V6 buyers.
    I don't Honda wants the Accord to get any closer to overlapping with those vehicles than they already do.

The Camry SE is the one trying to compete with the Accord and Mazda6 by trying to look and drive "more sporty."
    The remote start will work on the 06-07 accords as well as the 08 ones from what I have heard. Maybe the 08 will get it too. I hear the new accord ipod kit should be better than that current abomination. USAspec makes a nice kit but the 08 accord should be better. I hear all models could get this new ipod kit.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes - Toyota does not make all combinations of options. I tried for months to get a Stick shift Camry LE - which is plainly listed in the brochure, but there was not one withing more than 500 miles in any direction.

Wound up with the Accord (which I wanted anyway - wife wanted the Camry).

Camry did have some advantages though - can't believe Honda makes a 6-cd changer that won't do mp3's. You can buy a complete portable cd player that will do so for $10.
    I hope that the accord will offer a Shiftronic transmission, I do not know how to use a manual, really no desire, so having that would be nice when I feel the need to get close with the car. Although, I know some have it, but really used it a couple times, I honestly can say that I would probably use it frequently. Atleast for me, it would seem close to a manual. Not the same, but close. It would give it a bit more sport appeal even for the 4cyl. I know the new camry offers it. If the offer it, great, if not, no harm done.

I drove the Hyundai synata 06, and it had the 5pd shiftronic in the 4cyl and it was amazing, very torquey and fun.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Camry did have some advantages though - can't believe Honda makes a 6-cd changer that won't do mp3's. You can buy a complete portable cd player that will do so for $10.

Well, remember the Honda debuted in Fall 2002; it wasn't as big of a deal back then.
    I drove the Hyundai synata 06, and it had the 5pd shiftronic in the 4cyl and it was amazing, very torquey and fun.

It probably felt torquey because it was the V6! :) The 4-cylinder Sonata has a 4-speed transmission.
    I've had my TL (sportshift) for 27K miles. I doubt having driven even 27 miles in sportshift mode. I couldn't care less for its presence.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    the 4cyl models seem to get jipped on the great wheels.

The I4 EX has the best looking wheels, IMHO. Even better than the V6 in my book. But our tastes are all different. :shades:
    Just out of curiousity how do you know this?

To date Honda has YET to offer a real "sporty" verison of the Accord sedan. The only thing close was the EXv6 6 speed which cosmetically looked like every other Accord on the road sans the 17 inch left over 2002-03 Acura TL Type S rims. And I'm not talking Acura TSX (which is 4 cylinder only and is cramped compared to the Camry or Accord) and I'm not talkin TL (which is too expensive for my budget)

The Accord does handle better than the Camry, even SE models, but a sportier exterior-wise Accord, with 18s, a rear lip spoiler and some interior cosmetics would be a great option I think.
    I'd have to disagree, especially the 06-07 model EX rims...blah at best. But that's just my opinion.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    I do not know how to use a manual, really no desire, so having that would be nice when I feel the need to get close with the car. Although, I know some have it, but really used it a couple times, I honestly can say that I would probably use it frequently.

No you won't, just like 99% of the people who have it don't. I'm sick and tired of all of the wannabe "get close to the car" folks - people, if you want get close to the car get a manual and learn to use it - sheesh. :mad:

Biker, who is usually very laid back but this post just put him over the edge.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I have an SE with the same rims as the EX, and while I thought they were average at first, I now really like them. They are very open and look great while your rolling around a small town. (Have not seen mine but there are two more Accords in town).

The closer spacing of spokes on the V-6 models just blur together once the car starts moving. The 4cyl EX/SE rims look like they just loping along - you can distinctly see the revolutions.

At higher speeds they almost dissapear and you can see the whole brake assembly - kinda neat.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    To date Honda has YET to offer a real "sporty" verison of the Accord sedan.

Since you are only talking about appearance, that should be ammended to "sporty-looking." A spoiler does not a sporty car make. Look at the Corolla S. They made it look sportier ... but it ain't sporty. I'd rather have the go than the show, personally.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....you want get close to the car get a manual and learn to use it

For the silent non-majority, Biker is right on the mark!!

..ez..
    Okay, you know what, I was only stating that it would be nice if they did, and it is my opinion, there is no reason to get all upset with me, because I want a particular option. I did state, that if they offer it, Cool, if not, than thats okay too. no biggie. Wow, seriously, sorry I brought that up. Sorry. I truly did not mean to get people all upset and over the edge. It just would be neat if they offered it.

The Hyundai Synata was a 4cyl not a 6cyl.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    bvdj84,

Aside from all of the other factors, you really should learn how to drive a stick shift, even though you may rarely need to use your new skills or may never purchase a vehicle with one.

You never know if you'll be put in a position where, in an emergency, you might have to drive someone else's car (such as to a hospital).
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Eh...don't sweat it. Not sure why some manual transmission drivers feel the need to ridicule other's choices.

I've driven manuals for the last 20 years, prior to switching to automatic recently, but I never felt that this choice made me a superior human being or anything ;) .

I like having the "shiftronic" or whatever you want to call it, which I have in my Mazda6, not because I use it to manually shift but it is an easier and more attractive way to have access to every gear in a 5 or 6 speed automatic for things like downshifting when going down a long hill or downshifting manually prior to passing on a two lane road.
    Nobody is upset with you, bvd. Seriously. Don't apoligize. :)

The Hyundai Synata was a 4cyl not a 6cyl.

Well, according to Hyundai's own website, the current Sonata 4-cylinder is offered with a 4-speed automatic.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    OK, not really relevant to the topic or the comment that the member posted, so let's just stick to the Accord. There's a manual transmission discussion on the Auto News board if one wants advice.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I didn’t understand you question. As for the rest of your post, I prefer go over show. Honda actually tried the cosmetic formula in European Accord (Type-S trim) and I hated to learn about it. I hate to see Fit “Sport” being that, and certainly don’t want to see it becoming a norm from Honda. To me, Corolla S has always been a joke. That trim was well served as CE model. Obviously, Toyota went for flash without caring for real upgrades.

For me, “Sport” should include the formula that Honda uses in Japanese market. Besides a regular Accord, Honda offers the following trims:
    24T (Touring, balanced ride and handling, similar to American Accord)
    24TL (Touring Luxury, same as 24T but with additional features and closest thing to TSX)
    24S (Sport, brake/suspension/tire upgrade to emphasize handling)
    Euro-R (Think Type-R with luxury features that is above 24S in handling)

Spoilers (front and rear), larger wheels and other cosmetic upgrades in general are better served as accessories than as a trim level. I would rather see Honda use the factory $$$ to offer Accord Si with minimum cosmetic frills and let people who want to customize do it from accessories list.

Accord EXV6/6MT is indeed slightly sportier than the other trims here. But I think Honda would be well served to differentiate that flavor with a separate trim and being more aggressive in terms of performance/handling instead of going the cosmetic way.
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    ....you want get close to the car get a manual and learn to use it

For the silent non-majority, Biker is right on the mark!!

I'm also in agreement on this I told my wife you can either drive the car or steer it. She opted to want to know how to drive. She drives my big diesel Hi-Lux with a stick very well for a 4'11" lady!
    Now she wants a performance car when we get back to the US!
    :D
    Unfortunately Honda will not be making the V6 with a manual in the sedan for 2008. :cry:
    So we have started looking at other models more closely.
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    I would hardly worry about having to drive someone else's car that is a standard shift- I think the last figure I read is that only about 8% of the light vehicle's sold are standard shift. But funny that in Europe, a high percentage of cars are standard shift, even Mercedes taxis (!!!). But in the large East Coast city where I live, the traffic around here would make a standard seem like a pain.

And by the way, my Father's 1950 Chevy had a push button start (and a choke and manual throttle control- those were the days!). It also had a key that could be set in the on (not locked) position so you just needed to push start button. But that was an invitation for car thieves, so a better locking mechanism was standardized. The new push buttons are secure- in the Altima, you need the key fob somewhere close to activate it.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I do not know how to use a manual, really no desire, so having that would be nice when I feel the need to get close with the car. Although, I know some have it, but really used it a couple times, I honestly can say that I would probably use it frequently.

No you won't, just like 99% of the people who have it don't. I'm sick and tired of all of the wannabe "get close to the car" folks - people, if you want get close to the car get a manual and learn to use it - sheesh.

Biker, who is usually very laid back but this post just put him over the edge.

EXACTLY!!! Shiftronic is never the same are real manually shifted transmission with a real clutch. Problem with automatics is not the shifting, so much, as the toque converter. Manumatics don't take the torque converter out of the equation. Even the DSGs which use mechanical clutch, are not the same as true manual.

I drove a friend's Sedona minivan, which comes with manumatic. Guess what, if you don't shift, it still shifts for you. No matter how much I wanted to hang on to those revs, it shifted. And at stops it shifted down to 1, all by it self. Poseurs!!!
    Thumbs down to "manually" shifting an automatic. Greater chance to cause damage by some neophyte. If you really "feel" the auto you can just shift it with you right foot. :)
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    Even the DSGs which use mechanical clutch, are not the same as true manual.

if you mean not having to push the clutch in, then yeah, its not a 'true' manual.

but aside from that you are totally wrong. read up on dsg. its not shiftronic, tiptronic, sportshift, or any of the other kinds of manumatics out there. its literally a manual transmission that a computer pushes in for you. hold the revs all you want. its an automated manual. get the facts straight. :blush:
This discussion has been closed.