Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Why the resistance to Diesel? Honda will still make the gasser. I want the diesel to yank my little boat out of Lake Fork with as little effort as possible. I also want it to cruise at 60 and give me 36 mpg towing. Now what's not to like about that?
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    Why the resistance to Diesel? Honda will still make the gasser. I want the diesel to yank my little boat out of Lake Fork with as little effort as possible. I also want it to cruise at 60 and give me 36 mpg towing. Now what's not to like about that?

You are mistaken it's the other guy who is not the diesel fan. I love diesels! :D I own one right now. I think they are great. I just disagree with him that his gas truck will get the same economy as my Hi-Lux diesel.
    Look at my post and I am not ragging on diesels in any of them. I don't like 10mpg GM diesels but those are for towing so they don't really count as passenger vehicles.
    I think the Accord diesel will get 50mpg on the highway. The other guy thinks 35mpg tops.
    I think you mixed up who was saying what on that last post. ;)
    I know you are pro diesel. Just made a quick post. I would think 40-45 highway for the Accord and 35-40 for the CRV. I agree,someone will get 50 but 40-45 will be attainable by many.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Accord 4-Cylinder Sedan

LX: Top safety and convenience features offered with outstanding LX value and quality

LX standard features include:

Power windows, doorlocks and door mirrors
    6 speaker AM/FM/CD audio now with steering wheel mounted audio controls
    Cruise Control
    Front, side and side curtain airbags

LX-P: Adds premium comfort and styling features to LX value

LX-P features added to LX include:

Alloy wheels
    8-way power diver’s seat
    Security System
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EX: Upgraded from the LX trims with sporty and premium features

EX features added to LX-P include:

Power Moonroof
    In-dash 6CD changer
    Premium interior trim
    Premium cloth seats
    Upgraded alloy wheels
    Heated mirrors
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EX-L: The most premium version of the EX trim

EX-L features added to EX include:

Leather seating surfaces and steering wheel
    Premium audio system with XM
    Heated seats
    Dual zone climate control system
    Available navigation system with Bluetooth

Accord 6-Cylinder Sedan

EX: Upscale and sophisticated V6 sedan

EX V6 features include:

Power Moonroof
    6 speaker AM/FM/6CD audio with steering wheel mounted audio controls
    Cruise Control
    Upgraded alloy wheels
    Premium cloth seats
    8-way power diver’s seat
    Security System
    Premium interior trim
    Heated mirrors
    Dual exhaust finishers

EX-L V6: The most luxurious Accord

EX-L V6 features added to EX V6 include:

4-way Power passenger’s seat
    Heated seats
    Homelink system

Accord 4-Cylinder Coupe

LX-S: Sporty features offered with outstanding LX value and quality

LX-S standard features include:

Alloy wheels
    Cruise Control
    Security System

EX: Upgraded from the LX-S trims with sporty and premium features

EX features added to LX-S include:

Power Moonroof
    Premium audio system
    Premium interior trim
    Premium cloth seats
    Heated mirrors

XM
    8-way power diver’s seat
    Heated seats

Accord 6-Cylinder Coupe

EX-L V6: Powerful and upscale sports coupe

EX-L V6 features include:

Power Moonroof
    Upgraded alloy wheels
    8-way power diver’s seat
    Cruise Control
    Security System
    Premium interior trim
    Heated seats and mirrors
    Homelink system
    Dual exhaust finishers

Ok the features of the 08 accord. I found a thread on vtec.net. This is a teaser. If Honda wants this post thread then so be it. I know bluetooth was going to come. No engine details yet.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The only totally new item listed is bluetooth and you don't even get that unless you get the top of the line models with navigation.
    I hope VSC is on the 4 cylinder models or there isn't much compelling other than new styling and presumed new drive trains.
    This is just a teaser. There are more features. They haven't announced them yet. You will have to wait until the Embargo for all the accord features.
    I know you are pro diesel. Just made a quick post. I would think 40-45 highway for the Accord and 35-40 for the CRV. I agree,someone will get 50 but 40-45 will be attainable by many.

Ok as long as people don't think I'm anti-diesel ;)
    yeah I think it's tough to say real world economy at this point on the new diesel. I think 50mpg will be doable but for a lead foot like myself probably 40mpg but that's ok because I will be happy with that. Someone like my wife would probably get 60mpg! She drives pretty slow and cautious and she weighs only 36 kilos! :surprise:
    Imagine if she could auto-x in a very light car! She'd have it made! :shades:
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I'm not sure why you keep pointing at conversion. Imperial gallon IS 1.2 times more than standard gallon. So, if you say 36 mpg "imperial", that is equivalent of 30 mpg and both are equal to 12.7 km/liter.

That said, I think Accord diesel should get about 35 mpg in mixed driving. 40-42 mpg purely on highway is possible. 50 mpg? Nope, unless you're a hypermiler (but then, there might be people driving gasoline Accords who are getting those numbers).
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Basically the DX has been dropped and the LX-P is the former SE model. Everything else is about the same. The dropping of the DX makes sense since there was overlap with the Civic at that price point. So the cheapest Accord now will be in the 20K range - LX 5MT.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Both the DX and VP are gone and there isn't anything equivalent to the SE V6 anymore.
    The LX V6 seems to be replaced with the new EX V6 with cloth seats.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    stevecebu,

You wrote "I don't use the Google toolbar, no spyware for me thanks." I agree with you there. However, I use the regular Google.com website to research just about everything.

I tried wytman's suggestion and wrote 20km/l in mpg in the standard Google search box and received this result:

20 (kilometers / l) = 47.0429169 miles per gallon

Great suggestion wytman, thanks.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    LX: Top safety and convenience features offered with outstanding LX value and quality

LX standard features include:

6 speaker AM/FM/CD audio now with steering wheel mounted audio controls
    Cruise Control

LX-P: Adds premium comfort and styling features to LX value

LX-P features added to LX include:

Alloy wheels
    8-way power diver’s seat
    Security System

EX: Upgraded from the LX trims with sporty and premium features

EX features added to LX-P include:

Power Moonroof
    In-dash 6CD changer
    Premium interior trim
    Premium cloth seats
    Upgraded alloy wheels
    Heated mirrors

Heated seats

Accord 6-Cylinder Sedan

EX: Upscale and sophisticated V6 sedan

EX V6 features include:

Power Moonroof
    Cruise Control
    Upgraded alloy wheels
    Premium cloth seats
    8-way power diver’s seat
    Security System
    Premium interior trim
    Heated mirrors
    Dual exhaust finishers

EX-L V6: The most luxurious Accord

EX-L V6 features added to EX V6 include:

4-way Power passenger’s seat
    Heated seats
    Homelink system

Accord 4-Cylinder Coupe

LX-S: Sporty features offered with outstanding LX value and quality

LX-S standard features include:

Alloy wheels
    Cruise Control
    Security System

EX: Upgraded from the LX-S trims with sporty and premium features

EX features added to LX-S include:

Power Moonroof
    Premium audio system
    Premium interior trim
    Premium cloth seats
    Heated mirrors

XM
    8-way power diver’s seat
    Heated seats

Accord 6-Cylinder Coupe

EX-L V6: Powerful and upscale sports coupe

EX-L V6 features include:

Power Moonroof
    Upgraded alloy wheels
    8-way power diver’s seat
    Cruise Control
    Security System
    Premium interior trim
    Heated seats and mirrors
    Homelink system
    Dual exhaust finishers
    I think you are a little too late there. I already posted it but thats fine.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I'm sorry, I hadn't noticed.

I was so excited to see it that i didn't even look.
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    It also had better have an mp3 audio input. That should be standard equipment on any car. Mp3 players have gone the way of computers and cell phones, virtually everyone has them now. And for good reason. Just buy a $5 cord to plug it in, another $20 for a charger and whammo = you've got your entire music library at your fingertips in your car.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

I know I would be one of the "someones."

That said, I think Accord diesel should get about 35 mpg in mixed driving. 40-42 mpg purely on highway is possible. 50 mpg? Nope, unless you're a hypermiler (but then, there might be people driving gasoline Accords who are getting those numbers).

Anybody with a 4-cyl Accord regardles of tranny can get 40 mpg highway if they use a little care - check the Accord mpg thread. Some carefull V-6 drivers are even getting close. The diesel will do much much better than that even with a heavy foot. 50 mpg will be a piece of cake.
    Piece of cake for you only if they let you have a manual! :)
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Wow! Some people get really anal about fuel retention. I can picture it now. A family is cruising down the interstate on vacation (at a very reasonable 60-65mph), and the daughter says "let's stop by this town, and check out the ___ ___" . Dad starts to get upset and says, "do you know what that traffic is going to do to my mileage?" What a shame. :(
    I stay off the interstates so I can go slower! Lol.
    Ok the last interior spy pics on vtec.net has an aux button on the radio. That means an mp3 input will be available. I hope this helps.
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    So bring whatever gas model you want here, we'll fill up the same amount Litres of fuel and see if you can beat the diesel if we both drive for economy.

Well, you just cannot compare different types of fuel based on a volume used basis. Diesel is 15% heavier than gas for the same volume, why not compare on a weight basis instead? But even the weight basis is not accurate. The best ways is to use an energy-basis comparison.

Fuel economy is about the ratio of: energy utilized/energy stored.

Thus, knowing that for the same volume, diesel has 11% more energy stored, its MPG got to be 11% higher just to be as efficient as a gas engine.

So essentially, you have to know the MPG of a direct injection gas engine, add 11% and then compare with a diesel engine to have a fair comparison.
    Well, you just cannot compare different types of fuel based on a volume used basis. Diesel is 15% heavier than gas for the same volume, why not compare on a weight basis instead? But even the weight basis is not accurate. The best ways is to use an energy-basis comparison.

Well when I fill up whether it's gas or diesel i put in so many litres and whole it maybe heaver it's the economy that I care about. Right now $30 lasts me about a month of driving.
    The diesel will do much much better than that even with a heavy foot. 50 mpg will be a piece of cake.

Depends on what one considers better. Better mileage than either gasoline I-4 or V6, sure. But 50 mpg? Well, only if one employs a few hypermiling tricks. A common perception on diesel seems to be that they aren't affected drastically by the way the cars are driven. Then why is it that AutoCar (UK) road test of Accord yield these averages (observed, converted to standard gallons):

Honda Accord 2.2-liter I-4 i-CTDi
    Observed Ratings: 34.2 mpg (overall) / 42.5 mpg (Best) / 15.2 mpg (Worst)

In their test loop, they didn't get any better than 42.5 mpg, and did as bad as 15.2 mpg. But overall mileage was 34.2 mpg which is quite impressive on its own.

A few years ago, C&D had a frugalympics involving Civic Hybrid, Prius, Jetta TDI and Echo. While the hybrids delivered 50 mpg on highway, Echo delivered 41 mpg, better than its EPA rated mileage (39 mpg) and Jetta delivered 42 mpg (EPA rating 44 mpg). On the track, all four were in 16-18 mpg range.
    Don't issue any mpg challenges to Dudley. Don't ask me how I know. :)
    With reality on your side, you could. ;)
    C&D testing for mpg? :surprise:

How could they possibly only get 42 mpg in a TDI - especially if they are trying. :confuse: Jetta can get 50+ mpg easily. Some are getting 60.

Take a look at the TDI forums. Remember 44EPA translates to 56 mpg actually measured before they dumb the results down. ;)

As far as reality goes - just because some cannot do something does not mean it can't be done - or is even hard to do.

There are some who claim an Accord can never get over 30 mpg under any conditions - that certainly does not make it true.

40 mpg is a piece of cake in a new Accord. If you want to talk hypermiling 45 is in easy reach and 50 is obtainable.

You guys need to read up on Wayne Gerdes. Now he does some hypermiling. 40 mpg in an Accord is not hypermiling.

http://www.hybridfest.com/DailyHerald.htm
    C&D testing for mpg?

Apparently. TDI wasn't by itself but with hybrids (Civic and Prius) and Echo. Interestingly enough, usually hybrids are the ones associated with not achieving their EPA ratings.

As far as hypermiling goes, I was glanced thru an article on hypermilers today and how a person (Wayne Gerdes?) can get 59 mpg on a regular Accord. So, getting 50 mpg by hook or by crook isn't the point. Certainly doable. Heck, I managed 35.7 mpg in a TSX/AT over about 100 miles without taking extreme steps, simply being gentle with the gas pedal, not braking for anybody and keeping the speed between 40 and 65 mph.
    Not a piece of cake! Remember all that coasting? You said it previously. A well driven Accord can get about 35 mpg. That's all a "normal" driver should reasonably expect.
    Coasting gets me about 43-44 mpg, but it has to be the right kind of road. 40 can be done easily on level ground at about 65 mph with no A/C - all factors that are within reason if one is going for high mpg, but not hypermiling. Obviously tire pressure should not be too low.

I will rephrase - it is a piece of cake if they try. Most people don't try at all.

I agree that many people get closer to 35, but usually because they drive fast, crank the A/C, drive erratically, and they probably never really get a full tank of highway mpg. It would not take much to get 40 mpg. Remember we are talking about highway.

In mid trip (500 miles) right now and so far at 43.9 mpg. :) I will give the details in the Accord mpg thread when I get back.
    While trying to maximize mileage in my TL, I have found that it is more than the car and the driver. It is also the fellow drivers in front of you and behind you that determine your cars gas mileage. Now only if I could be lucky enough to avoid both of those, I might be able to break 30 mpg in TL and that is in mixed driving (50% city) without taking extreme measures. My formula is
    - Brake for nobody (probably explains why front brake pads in my 98 Accord lasted for 90K miles and have put 87K miles so far on the replacement. The rear pads were changed at 132K miles)
    - Minimize stop light time
    - Avoid accelerating while going uphill by utilizing greater downhill momentum (in the process, my speed varies by about 5 mph so I tend to be 5 mph faster than speed limit at the bottom of any hill and at about the speed limit at the top)
    - Keeping speed between 40 and 65 mph

In my 1998 Accord, my normal lead footed driving yields about 26 mpg in mixed driving (not bad for a car with ~178K miles and rated only 23/30 mpg by EPA when it came out. The revised EPA estimates tell me that I shouldn’t expect any better than 22 mpg, oh well, I find the new standards ridiculous and an attempt to appease whiners than be closer to reality but that is a topic for another thread).
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    This forum is supposed to be a discussion of the new Accord models that are being released.

These long discussions regarding all of the tricks to get better gas mileage are off topic and can be discussed in one of the many other forums that are devoted to gas mileage.
  • mth2mth2 Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2003 TL type S and in 2004 took a trip from Austin, TX to Springfield, IL. I AVERAGED 35mpg driving between 70 and 80 mph!! I couldn't believe it. However, in my day to day driving I average between 22-27 mpg. Not bad for a 260 hp engine. I complain to myself about the mpg and the cost of premium, but when you put a pencil to paper, it's more cost effective than the cost of even a new I-4 when you figure in the cost of a new car, not including loan interest. So mpg are not the only consideration.

I am excited about the diesel coming out in a year or two, but will still have to justify the new car cost, versus the mpg of diesel.

I wonder - when (if) diesel takes off in the U.S., how much will the increased demand for diesel (only available at the occasional gas station) increase the price of diesel?

Just wondering...will wait to see how it all plays out.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    With all the talk about the upcoming diesel (09) and better mileage in the 2008 Accord, mileage was a logical side-conversation to me, especially with very little info trickling out about the '08 yet. I believe that if this conversation wasn't taking place, this thread would be VERY quiet.

If you feel strongly about staying strictly to topic, talk about it! :)
    Yep. Besides impact of demand on cost, the other thing to worry about (at least for a few years initially) would be to find a gas station that sells diesel. And sometimes many that do today, have just a few pumps with that option (one pump may offer gasoline and diesel but the one next to it may not have diesel).
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    When no new info is available, threads sort of veer off topic...
    What Grad said. The 2008 Avtecs are supposed to get 13% more mpg,torque,and Hp. Should be very interesting. I think the diesel will take off instantly. I plan to wait several years in order to get a decent price on a diesel Accord or diesel CRV. I can't even get a rattle out of my 02 V6 EXL at over 80k. Not sure I can wear it out so I can get the next gen Accord.
    Two problems though. 13% improvement in fuel economy from A-VTEC (if we do see it with new Accord) compared to i-VTEC might be at engine level and not necessarily something that will show up as such on the EPA sticker (with that increase, the Accord I-4/AT would end up getting rated 27 mpg in city compared to 24 mpg that it has been since 2003).

And speaking of EPA sticker, which is the other problem, I am not enthralled by the new system. Perhaps because I never had trouble getting EPA ratings from most cars that I have driven. But now, I will have a tougher time meeting the new standards. Who wants to burn more gas these days, anyway? :P

According to the new standards from EPA, my 1998 Accord should be getting me 22 mpg in mixed driving. And I thought they were accurate in the past with 26 mpg which I continue to get from it. :confuse:

So, now I may just have to add 10-15% to whatever they estimate. Which means, the new Accord may or may not be rated any better than what we have seen Accords rated in the past.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Good luck getting a rattle in your 2002. I have a 1996 with 174k, and was depressed because I finally had a sizable rattle a few weeks ago (sort of a metallic tinkling). That was, until found two pennies in the door's grab handle in the back seat (one of my buddies must've left them). I took them out and the rattle stopped!

So, rattle-free for 174k miles. Not too bad. Completely problem free? Nah, what car is for that long. But it sure is solid considering its age.
    I've had no repairs or maintainence other than scheduled service. Amazing.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    if those specs/features posted earlier have any truth to them, i'm a bit annoyed.

Why cant honda EVER give you a straight-from-the-factory leather wrapped steering wheel without an entire leather interior? even hyundai does this! why can the big h do it? At least on the ex people!!! :sick:
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    The first REAL pictures and video of the sedan have been posted on Edmunds. I thought there would be a lot more talk about how the car actually looks.

Perhaps the fact that there isn't sums up my reaction--I was very surprised with how conservative the 08 Accord is. It looks something like a blend of the current gen Acura TSX and TL. On balance, I think its pretty good looking, but its very, very conservative. I had thought that Honda was going to go with a more aggressive look this time.

As it turns out, the 2007 Camry is quite a bit bolder looking than the '08 Accord. I'm sure it won't hurt the Accord any, but I would expect the Camry to continue to outsell the Accord.
    Just get it as an accessory.
    Camry better keep outselling Accord. There simply are more people in this country who prefer sensory deprivation to anything that connects to the road. And then there fleet sales always help. Besides, what is the big deal with being the highest volume car anyway? Just focus on quality and qualities that keeps educated “drivers” keep coming back and bring new ones with them.

As for appearance, while a subjective issue, Camry looks overly bloated from virtually all angles. The nose is the worst part. It may have been inspired by a John Deere. Things like an acre of metal above front fenders, isn’t exactly what I call sporty and things get worse when an attempt to be called as such is made.

OTOH, Accord sedan looks classy yet purposeful. And Coupe is simply elegant and sporty.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    i know you can, but why can't it just come like that? many other competitors do! plus you've got to pay extra for installation. lame.
  • zhelderzhelder Member Posts: 42
    Can someone post a link to these pictures and video? All I see is the same old photos and spy video that's been up for a while. Any good interior shots in these photos/videos? Thanks.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...I think the diesel will take off instantly. I plan to wait several years in order to get a decent price on a diesel Accord or diesel CRV.

...sometimes it takes awhile. I've driven my diminutive diesel pickup over 20 years now.............it's about time for take-off!!

...while my AV6 6M coupe pushes the 40 mpg barrier every now and then, I sincerely hope the new VCM Accord can 'get into' that 40 mpg range............

Great cars.....(and top of the class engineers!)

..cheers..

ez..
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    I guess if you want aggressive go for a coupe. While it may not be sporty in some eyes, no one can say it's bland.

As for the Camry, it may be bolder than the previous generation but the front end (at least on non SE models) looks downright silly. This is an opinion shared by many Toyota faithful - I know because I followed the threads for quite a while when it was first introduced.

Of what I'd call the "big three" (Honda,Toyota & Nissan), Honda does seem to go for more conservative styling (as compared to the competition). But, to each his own. My guess is Honda has done the research and determined most of it's "faithful" prefer it that way.
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    Don't buy the first ones off the line I intend to wait least least a year.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    ya, me too, I almost got crazy and bought a new 07 when I have an 06, but decided to wait for the 08, but will wait til the craze goes down, otherwise, they'll suck you in with the prices, and glitches. I'm thinking that I'll be getting the coupe, i want something a bit more fun. But I'll wait, no rush. It just felt weird, trading my 06 for an 07, it didn't feel right or worth it, so 08 it is.
    Can someone post a link to these pictures and video? All I see is the same old photos and spy video that's been up for a while. Any good interior shots in these photos/videos? Thanks.

I have the spyshots of the interior and can post them if you want, but you might already have these it's a
    white-ish interior. AFAIK this is all that's currently available for interior pics so far.
This discussion has been closed.