Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• wardcowardco Posts: 27
    I hope you like yours. I bought my 2007 Accord V6 (auto) a month ago and love it, the power, the fun, the heated mirrors. Haven't had the stability control kick in yet. My wife's Civic EX '07 rounds out our stable. Doesn't get any better than this!

Hondas in Pittsburgh
    :)
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    You know, I must admit, I like consumers like those. They buy a car and rant about how bad it was because of something minor. "OH the rear seat is too small for my little johnny so I'm going to by an SC430..." :sick:

But then when normal people buy it and love it and word gets out, then there is peace in the world and the people screaming about cons run back to the car they left and relize that they could just slide the front seat forward.

Because the coupe is marketed as a sportier accord, it would be cool to see honda drop the turbo there instead of the v6.

-Cj

-Cj
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    It could be just phantom rattles, squeaks and creaks, "lug bugs," defective radios or any type of problem that comes up. Who wants to live with problems like that and trial and error fix attempts even if it doesn't make the car undriveable?

Sure that's possible. But the odds aren't high that will be the case. I'm willing to take that risk to get the car sooner, that's all.

I don't see why it would ever be necessary to ever "order" an Accord even if it were possible since there are a limited number of Accord models and colors and they will all be built eventually whether you order it or not.
    If the dealer isn't getting the color you want the day you want it, they can swap with another dealer

But that's the point, I don't want to wait for it to be swapped out with another dealer. Here's how this works, I place the order now. The dealer knowing he has an instant, sure sale, makes sure he gets that exact car delivered to his lot ASAP. Instant profit for him. If I wait till the accords are already on the lot, he has much less incentive to go hunting for what I want. He'll want to sell me what he has in stock.

And other dealers who might have the version I want, would have much less incentive in doing a swap since their lots will be full of buyers as well.

My only point is, if someone wants to be the first with an accord and get exactly what they want, the time to start negotiating is now.
  • lweisslweiss Posts: 342
    In the industry that I am in (software), the prevailing maxim is never buy a .0 release- like Vista 1.0- despite extensive testing, there will always be bug fixes and what not else that will be ironed out in subsequent releases. So mindful of that, I look at September Accords as "08.0"- thanks, I'll wait for "08.5" (unless my present car gives it up forcing me to an earlier decision, haha). But there will always be early adopters that will lived with higher risk and that's OK. Hey, one guy in our office has the new Apple iPhone- and he loves it and is the center of attention and everybody he has shown it to is insanely jealous of it- including me!!!
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    My 98 Was a 6.0, and one of the first ones to roll out the factory after a major redesign (considerable changes happened with that generation). It is a different story that I had to neither wait nor had to pay a premium (got it for $200 over listed invoice). Although, soon after, there was a wait time for EX-L and EXV6 models, and especially on the coupe.

~10 years and 178K miles later, not a rattle or squeak in the car. Except for one that was noticed within 6 months of ownership, a squeak from moonroof. The solution was simple... lubricate the rubber seals.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "the fact of the matter is, honda DIDN"T flop on the back end of this accord, as styling is totally subjective and this is your opinion. they may have made it unnatractive to YOU, but that doesn't make it a 'flop."

The back end of the 08 Accord Sedan is not unactractive to me per say but its just too plain looking for today's market in my opinion.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    People who want the new Accord, will have no problem finding reasons to like the looks. People who don't like Accords, will find a reason to hate it. You can find some aspect of any car's design, that doesn't appeal to you, if you try hard enough. :(
  • johnson5johnson5 Posts: 34
    If one looks at the collegehillshonda, cars on order for September they have a list of 08 accord sedans on order
    They have already sold one.

I talked with few folks who work at Honda, OH. The information about 08 Honda is only on “need to know” basis. It is not a 100% new car and no new suppliers. Most of them saw only taped cars covering the exterior details. Some one said the history repeats. Check new civic and new CRV (new introductions , last year).Problems if any may be similar.

They agree that the 07 model is close to near problem free.
    Some of the cars from pre full scale production will be leased to the H employees (2 years)

Some of them do read the message boards and report the concerns expressed to their management.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    No manufacturer has ever lowered prices from one year to the next.

The 1998 Accord EX-V6 (under $25k MSRP) was cheaper than the previous 1997 model ($25k and change MSRP), if I'm not mistaken.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,536
    What exactly was a departure from the norm in Mazda6 styling?

Because it looked nothing like the other current or past cars in its class. Like I said, when others were trying to out-vanilla each other, Mazda decided to make a family sedan that stood out on the road. Again, I stress part of my statement is "in its class." Look at the other cars in its class at the time the mazda6 came out. They are all completely boring and barely distinguishable from each other.

We are SO FAR off topic! ;b

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    are comparing the '08 Accord and '08 WRX:

The first actual US-review (that I've seen) from an editor of a publication, vs. simple previews based on press information:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee9cc50
    It looked like having acquired grill and headlamps lens from Acuras. As a result, it's front end didn't look much different from Acura TSX. "Bold" is an overblown term.

I think a lot of people think use of clear lens or "Altezza lights" as bold. Having good lines isn't THAT to me. Bold is about doing something different from others. I didn't see that in Mazda6 or Altima. I do see that in CX-7 and Murano as they are not your typical box on wheels.

BTW, do you find anything "bold and dramatic" in Mercedes E-Class? BMW 5-series?
    The 1998 Accord EX-V6 (under $25k MSRP) was cheaper than the previous 1997 model ($25k and change MSRP), if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, and there was a reason for it. 1994-97 Accord chassis wasn't designed to carry V6. When Honda decided to offer that choice, they had to revise the chassis which also resulted in "longer" Accords which carried V6. Costs were passed down to customers.

MY1998 Accord was designed from scratch to carry a V6. Savings were passed down to customers. So that transition was an aberration.

With more features, and inflation being taken into account, 1-2% price increase virtually every year is the norm.
  • stevecebustevecebu Posts: 493
    are comparing the '08 Accord and '08 WRX:

The first actual US-review (that I've seen) from an editor of a publication, vs. simple previews based on press information:

Edmunds just did a full blown review of the 2008 WRX and Motor Trend did as well. Edmunds whom I consider far more accurate and reliable compared to MT was not all that keen on the car. I think the Accord will offer more bang for the buck, although it certainly won't be as fast as the WRX.
    Read the article and decide. For me it told me a lot.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=121788
    It looked like having acquired grill and headlamps lens from Acuras. As a result, it's front end didn't look much different from Acura TSX. "Bold" is an overblown term.

Uhhhh... you do know the mazda6 came out a year before the TSX, don't you? So who was copying who? And if you want to look at just the grille, the mazda was using that shape back before the mazda6.

Mazda6 and Japanese Accord were launched at about the same time, late 2002. Acura TSX (which is basically Japanese Accord with a different interior) was launched in Spring 2003 as a 2004 model. One year?

That said, Acura TSX evolves from 1998-2002 Accord. The grill comes off a family design element that Honda first showcased with 1995 Acura CL-X concept. The tail lamp came off 1985 Integra.

Mazda6 got its grill from 1999-2002 626 and the tail mimics 2000+ Millenia. So, what exactly did arrive “new” with Mazda6? Clear tail lamps? “Ground effects”? To me, it brought a safe 3-box design with tasteful lines. That isn’t something I associate the word “bold” with. Bold would be going at least a bit out of the norm.

Heck, Honda was one of the first to offer clear, single lens horizontal headlamp lens back in 1991 (Accord) or so. That wasn't a "bold" move, it was simply... more tasteful than what everybody else was offering.
    if we want to break it down to such a great degree and take 1 element at a time, nothing is bold anymore.

• angelus1angelus1 Posts: 23
    i was all set on getting one but after hearing the bmw 1 series will drop soon. couple that with the fact that the g37 will cause a drop in used g35 prices. i might end up with a 2005 or 06 g35 coupe which will be roughly the same price as a accord coupe ex-l by the time options are done
    Or we can talk about it at an "overall level". A new design theme perhaps like never before? That is why I brought up 2003-2005 Accord. It wasn't a widely accepted design for a reason. The rear end was quite a bit different in profile from what typical buyers were used to. So, it was back to the basics via a rather expensive makeover with MY2006.

For something to be bold, it needs to be... bold, in concept and execution. I would say Mercedes CLS is bold, C/E/S class (no matter how attractive one may find it) is not. Infiniti F is bold, G, M or Q aren't.
    For something to be bold, it needs to be... bold, in concept and execution. I would say Mercedes CLS is bold, C/E/S class (no matter how attractive one may find it) is not. Infiniti F is bold, G, M or Q aren't.

I would agree with those.

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    sorry to get off subject again, but how is the current accord more powerful? if you are talking hp then yes, the v6 has more, but the subie is noticably quicker; powerful means so much more than hp numbers.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    i'm wondering if the accord is going to follow suit with the civic in a change in suspension. (i know that this happened much earlier in the civic from 00 to 01).

but do you guys think that honda will keep the double wishbones front and rear? or is the new accord destined to be a machpherson wonder? Still a solid choice, but not as cool or well handling as the doulbe wishbone setup.

thoughts?
    I haven't seen anybody complain about McPherson Struts in Altima. That said, it is highly unlikely Honda will change the formula on Accord. It should still be double-wishbone front and watt-link (5-links) double wishbone rear.

In case of a compact car like Civic, space is at a premium, and not only does DWB add weight and cost, it is not optimal set up in terms of space (while ensuring safety). In a larger car like Accord, it isn't as much of an issue.

Space would also be the reason why Odyssey (and all SUVs from Honda) have McPherson struts up front.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    The rear end was quite a bit different in profile from what typical buyers were used to. So, it was back to the basics via a rather expensive makeover with MY2006.

i agree. i wonder if Honda used any focus group feedback. seems they would have saved some $$$ and kept some sales if they had avoided that one.
    Yep. Forget study group, they could have showed it just to me (and given a fraction of what it cost them to revise the rear end, and lost sales). :P

Seriously though, Honda does need to look beyond the styling approvers they have now. While it hasn't hurt CR-V sales (in fact they are at unprecedented levels and leading the SUV pack), the grill is ugly. They sure know how to mess up somewhere, somehow.

But then, it also happens to be bold and different something Honda is not associated with. I won't be surprised if the "floating eye" look will become more common. Even Audi R8 has it.

Floating eye: that would be my term for unconventional styling element Honda has used on CR-V, where the headlamp (or part of it) isn't "supported" by front bumper in a traditional way. But my problem with CR-V grill is the way it sits/protrudes at the top in a side profile.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    styling cues... i think they are getting confused: i personally think the CRV doesn't look as nice as it used to.

they could make the CRV look so much better at the back end by dropping the hexagon punchout about the midsection of the hatch. yuck.

and the bumpers on the CRV, the front one makes me think of a frog with an under-bite. yuck.

the front end on the CRV looks much worse than it used to IMHO: why the deep cuts on the hood? yuck.

MDX back end, oh my blood pressure is going up. :sick:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    They are not going to do anything about CRV styling since it is now the #1 selling SUV in the US.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Dude,sometimes It's you,not them. :) #1 in suv sales.
  • fxguyfxguy Posts: 132
    CRV is #1?? Please link me to your source!
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,647
    Yep, just read it in the Wall Street Journal...I also have big problems with the CR-V's looks, and worry if they'll carry over to the 2009 Pilot...but, to get back on topic, I think both the new Accord coupe and sedan are major improvements. I'll have to see the sedan on the road to make final judgement.
This discussion has been closed.