Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    Is the top-end radio offered in the coupe able to pick up HD channels?
  • bearblackbearblack Member Posts: 8
    After 5 accords and 2 preludes 1 civic, the 2008 Accord EX 2.4 5sp is a bit of a let down, shame how large it has become and how unrefined the ride is with relation to its size. On top of this add 4 service calls in 1 mo. just to determine that the tires are total crap. (they replaced 2 in the front) The dealer says belt problem, I say vibration. Not something that is obnoxious, just there, all the time. And the gas pedal feels like its directly mated to a tractor. For a system that is drive by wire, seems the wire is hard wired to a vibrator bed. Its there all the time.
    Good news is the 2.4 190HP with a manual is ok on accell and seems pretty smooth for a 4 banger. Also they made the frame more rigid, possibly due to the front tower brace and except for the skidish tires, handles good for a FWD and its size. Its just for a car this size you would expect the ride to be quiter and more refined.
    As far as the 4dr, I wish I had opted for the coupe with the V6 and a 6 spd. Problem is, then I would be close to the $ range of a base Infinity. And that my friends is a whole lot nicer car than the Accord. Guess you get what you pay for!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't know this for sure, but that looks like a brochure (which is not a bad thing; it's just not a "review" per se). Checkered Flag is a dealership, at least here where I live. :)
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    "lawn mower size battery"

Fifty years ago the fastest computer in the world had only a tiny fraction of the computing ability of the machine that you are using to read this. It was also the size of a very large room.

Things change.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I think flickering lights are a problem with either the ELD (Electronic Load Detector) or the alternator. Not the battery.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Its not a problem, as my 06 shares the characteristic since new. Now, if it is really bad, and you'll know, than it at that time it is considered a problem. Realize that is not just on the 08 Accord, but on other years as well. I really don't know where the source of the issue is, but obviously hasn't been a big deal, otherwise Honda would have heard about it, and fixed it. If you stand outside with the engine on, you'll hear that fan or something kick on and off, and when that happens it slightly flickers, but barely noticeable. Anything more than that is a problem.

I am not worried about it, and I am a complete car freak.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    The Accord coupe 6speed can be purchased for around $26K. Exactly which base Infiniti model are you referring to that can be bought for under $30K? The G35 sedan? Good luck finding one in that price range, especially with a stick.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I noted last night that the most noticeable headlight "flicker" occurs when I first start moving and when the door locks automatically lock. It is a very noticeable flicker. The other flickers are much less noticeable.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...The Accord coupe 6speed can be purchased for around $26K. Exactly which base Infiniti model are you referring to that can be bought for under $30K? The G35 sedan? Good luck finding one in that price range, especially with a stick.

....my 6M coupe was 23.4k prior to tax/license/dork fee. ..way cool when contrasted with the competing 36k G35 coupe I had been recklessly considering.

...even after 44k miles, I can still feel the surge of purchase revalidation.....

...best, ez...
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Now everybody is going to look for and notice a "flicker".
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    True -- but maybe that's a good point to make. Virtually every car's electrical system (at least most that I have been in) flicker - particularly under the load of the electric locks and windows. However, I'm not so sure most car's headlights flicker as much as they do on my new Honda. Having said that, the flicker doesn't bother me. I dont' view it as a malfunction or problem - just reality :)
    If the A/C cycles or there is another electrical load, there may be a slight flicker.

Some people I suppose would call that a problem and most people wouldn't even notice.
  • gjagja Member Posts: 28
    Hi all,
    Can someone take a look at their 2008 EX sedan and tell me if there is suppose to be a plastic cover over the nut that holds down the left rear of the driver's seat track. Mine has a plastic cover on the right side but the left side has the seat track and nut clearly exposed. There is a plastic piece surrounding the rear of the seat track but no top cover piece. One can see them from the left rear seat. I know I could probably look at some cars at the dealer, but I don't go by there too often.
    Thanks.
    Is there a cover on the passenger side seat? It should be the same.
    Is there a cover on the passenger side seat? It should be the same.

Oh, I should add that the passenger side looks like it has a totally different setup.
  • st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    Do any of you on here think the Acura 4 cylinder car has flickering headlights? This problem is unique to the Accord 4 cylinder model..as most of you have stated this occurs under a load factor usually at idle..my accord will be doing 70 mph with the cruise control on and the lights will flicker every 10-15 seconds as the a/c cycles. This can't be a normal operation.. I have owned 40 plus cars and none of them have ever done this.
    As far as I am concerned the only place to buy an Accord on the east coast is Mike Patton Honda in Lagrange, Georgia..got mine Sept 24th EXL 4 cylinder with pinstripes, mud guards, floor mats for 24900 out the door..no tax. (paid that in Florida) even gave me a 30 day temp georgia tag to get it home. Drove 600 miles to get it and they gave me exactly what they quoted me over the phone for my 1999 Accord Ex on trade..they will even ship a car to your house..on Ebay now the same car is 24188 including delivery charges..absolutely the best dealership on the east coast. Whole transaction at the dealer took about 30 minutes. Now thats the way to buy a car.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    Well, I will now be sure to look for it (thanks, Isell!), but in 2 years, I have never noticed it.

ANd I tend to be very anal about any perceived problems!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

It is NORMAL, if it wasn't, Honda takes problems very seriously, and would be some kind of remedy for it. Were all just reading into our Honda's too much. I, myself am very picky about my car, and it doesn't bother, because I don't even notice it.
    This might just be the way Honda makes their engine set up. Like stated in other posts, My 06 has it, others has seen it, if it is anything worst than stated, then its not normal. It is not a problem, rather than a characteristic that is noticed only with a strict eye.

You'll know if its a problem, and Honda would have a big problem with it, there would be a huge fuss, its just now, were all looking for the flicker...lol haha

Have a little pride, were all driving Hondas!
    Maybe I have a strict eye, but I have had an 84 prelude,89 civic,97 accord,99 accord and now the 08 accord...believe me this is the only car that ever did this...picture yourself driving down a country road at night with no ambient light and every 15 seconds your lights flicker..its like the barking dag..drives you crazy. The 6 cylinder models don't do it. Ask yourself of all the cars you have ever owned how many have a visible flicker at 70 mph with the cruise control on?
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    my '03 accord v6 coupe had a slight headlight flicker when the ABS would do its self-test. otherwise i never noticed it...
    "As far as I am concerned the only place to buy an Accord on the east coast is XYZ Honda in ABC, Georgia... absolutely the best dealership on the east coast."

How many of the hundreds of Honda dealers on the east coast have you ever done business with?
    Your absolutely right blane..I havent dealt with hundreds of dealers on the east coast. On sept 24th my two local dealers had 5 accords between them, the dealer in Georgia had 106. Local dealer wanted 26400 list plus 1000 over for market adjustment plus 875 for mats, mud guards and pinstripes. plus offered me 1000 less(4000) on my trade in than the Georgia dealer. Local dealer had seen trade, Georgia had not. I paid 24900minus 5000 for trade..do the math..I saved 4375 by driving exactly 565 miles to Georgia with the mapquest info they provided. By the way I also got mats, guards, stripes for free...told local dealer about the deal before I went and they told me "have a nice trip". Not to bash all dealers but that was a good deal and by far and away the best I could find on a car that was 12 days old in the marketplace. Ebay is a wonderful shopping tool..
    True, good point, I have only owned one other car, no flicker with that car. Also, stated in previous posts, if it is anything more than what I am talking about or what others are saying than its a problem. Based on what your saying, your car is more extreme, and the best thing to do is to take it in. Seems like my car, and others are not to that extreme of yours. I would not consider mine a flicker.Its not doing what your saying. Read the above posts. If your car is doing that, than you have a problem, and perhaps you need to get is checked out? My car doesn't do that, and perhaps were all thinking of something different. This topic is getting too long. read the above posts.
    I think we all have enough sense to consider whats normal and whats not.
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    Quick question, have any of you attempted to put a carseat in the back on the new coupe? I love the looks of the coupe, but not the sedan.....so, I'm trying to see if this will work.....

Thanks!
    But it's a pain and you will wish you had bought the sedan!
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    EZ---I was talking about a 2008 6spd, which stickers for around $28.5K without the navi. I own a 2003 6spd that I paid a little under $24k for, which I'm now trading for the new model. Can't wait to pick up the new one. Glad to hear you're enjoying yours! I wish they would have offered the limited slip with the new coupe...when the CL Type-S was discontinued, I thought we'd surely get the LSD on the new coupe, but it didn't happen. Oh well.
    Maybe try checking out some other accords at a dealer lot after sundown? See if they all do it or yours does it more?
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Just got it a couple of days ago, but so far I love this car. I don't seem to have any rattles or very much wind noise. In fact, I'm impressed at how quiet the car is. The quality and the details seem quite impressive so far. It is a giant leap above my 02 Accord, which in itself is a darn good car.

I'm so glad I got the Navi! What a neat gadget! Love the maps, and the voice activation seems to work pretty well for me, although once in while you can try to say something about the radio and instead it will turn the rear defroster on, which I think can be funny (and my kids find it amusing too). I can make and receive calls without taking my hands off the steering wheel or my eyes off of the road. Not that I talk much on the bluetooth, since in general I think it's better to stay focused on driving, but sometimes it's helpful.

The stereo is impressive, with nice sound quality--a big, big leap from my 02. I'm glad I have the "premium audio" of the EXL, and XM is great. If you get it try XM Channel 113--the "high definition" HD classical channel on XM. Beautiful sound. I think there are some other XM HD channels, but right now I don't remember what they are.

According to our trip computer, our city mpg is around 21-22, but we've only driven 100 miles.

The manual transmission and clutch are wonderful. Honda sure knows how to make these things smooooooth. Love it. Had to special order it and wait 2+ months for it, but the wait was well worth it for me.

How much did I pay. Hmmm. I've got the exact numbers somewhere else, but it was something like 26.5k for the car after discount, 2k for ttl, fees, etc., and then 1k for the 8 year/120k Honda warranty with 0 deductible, for a total of about 29.5 out the door. Yikes! A lot of money for a car, but it was a special order. I'm thinking that even basic LX would have been c.22k OTD, and for that 7.5k we're getting a huge amount of luxury, features, and amusement. It's half the price of a Mercedes E series with navi, or a BMW 5 with navi, and because it's a 4 cylinder it gets probably 6-8 more mpg. I don't need the power of a 6. I think it's pretty close to a BMW in terms of features, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I love the side view, but the front and rear styling are still only so-so for me.

I love the bank vault solidity of it, but it does seem a bit massive and closed in. I would like to see the next gen of Accord in 5 years come down a bit in size and weight, and go up in mpg. I'd also like to see return the great visibility of past Accords. I would only call this one good. I once drive a 86-89 gen and I loved the visibility on that one--it was like you were floating over the road because you couldn't even see the hood in front of you. I sure see the massive hood on this one, but there are a lot of safety features an 86-89 could never dream of, and so I'll take the safety any day. Even an early 90s Accord would feel flimsy next to this beast. It almost feels like a high tech tank.

The leather is of high quality and the seats are comfortable. I like the lower lumbar support with the power "bubble," although I keep it on the low setting.

Anyway, overall, it seems like an absolutely awesome car. I really can't believe I own a car this nice. It's above my expectations in almost every way.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    I've driven the V6 sedan twice and do not remember seeing it, is there a way to disengage the 6-4-3 Variable Cylinder Management (a button)? I was considering this as the replacement for my 2001 Lexus LS430, but absolutely hated having that VCM doing its thing in town and that stupid "ECO" light coming on the dash.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    you have no control over the VCM. Not sure why you would worry about it around town (you pretty much shouldn't even notice it anyway). The ECO light isn't particularly intrusive either, and you get used to it pretty quick so I expect you would tune it out.

But, if it bothers you that much, buy something else.

Besides, if you are used to a Lexus LS, you will probably find it to have too rough of a ride, and too much road noise.

Just get an ES350 or Camry LXE if the Accord bothers you.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    thanks for your honesty. The problem is that I like the Altima sedan and its CVT (especially its manual mode) more the Accord sedan and its 5sp auto. Yet, I like the Accord coupe A LOT more than the Altima coupe.......oh well, I'll figure it out.

thanks again.
  • deliciousironydeliciousirony Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy an 08 accord for my mother as a late christmas gift.

I'm sort of torn between the LX and the EX. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test drive any of these and had to just rely on printed specs and my mom's feedback when I sent her for a test drive.

As far as I can tell, the EX has these over the LX: sunroof, bigger wheels, strut brace power seat, 13 more hp, active noise reduction, different cloth, illuminated window switches, different interior trim bits, maybe some other minor stuff.

The engine seems identical, except the different power rating. Is the difference just engine software and tuning?

At the prices I'm being quoted, the EX is about $2700 more than the LX. Which is more than 10% of the price of the car. Do people here think the EX is worth that premium?

Thank you.
    :)
    go for the EX, it is a well rounded car, you'll be more happy.
    Except, this is for his mother.

Does she really care about a sunroof and the other extras that may be of little value to her?

The diffference in horsepower she will never feel unless she's a street racer.
    Yep, she is going to race her accord very hard...lol good point, even the LX is a good value too. Heck, your driving a Honda.
  • amad1amad1 Member Posts: 123
    I got quoted for an OTD price of 26900.00 for the above car. Is that a good price? I'm in the Silicon Valley.

thanks
    With automatic?

That seems like about $800 over invoice...
    (invoice = 24,063 * 1.0825 tax = 26,048 + ? dmv fees)

Someone in the pricing forum claimed they got $200 under invoice for a plain EX in Sunnyvale.

I bet you could get it for $26,000 even OTD, especially if you wait towards the end of the month or look around in places like Livermore where the economy is really taking a dive.
    So the real value-add of the EX is the sunroof and the rest is just minutiae?

I don't think she'll notice the extra power - her old car is a V6 taurus that made a weak 145hp.

+$2700 for a sunroof does seem a bit steep.

Good to know - thanks. :)
  • amad1amad1 Member Posts: 123
    With automatic?

Yes.
  • scooter66scooter66 Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up a 2008 EX auto and paid dealer cost through a special Honda plan (not for the general public). The dealer cost for a EX is actually $21,185.61, which does not include accessories, delivery, tax, etc. This should give you a point of reference.
    I highly recommend the EX and enjoy the added features like the fully adjustable seat, extra horsepower and other added niceities. I get comments like, "that looks like a BMW" or "that looks like a Benz". Also, look into the side molding as well. It adds a lot of character to the car's overall appearance.
    Really? Do you think those mouldings improve the looks?

I think they look out of place.

But...that's me.
    You are not alone. Besides, at whatever level tack-on moldings are applied, the guy that parks next to you, and slams his door into yours, will have a mismatch with the height of the point of contact.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Right! When your numbers up...it's up. I just try to park far enough away to reduce the likelihood of someone parking next to me.
    Well, you can't guarantee that the guy next to you is not a SUV, but at least it's something. I spent $300 on Dent Wizard on my last Accord and I'm really tired of the Walmart baskets sailing into my cars. I personally like the molding... And I got some unsolicited compliments on them too. You gotta see it on the polished metal metalic.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Someone earlier picked up a EX-L 4 banger coup for $22,980 drive away last month.... so your deal at $21,185 is a good deal indeed!
    Thanks JB Turner. Hey, don't be afraid to deal on extended warranties. I had no idea there were big mark-ups on them as well.
    I think the side molding on the 08 looks bad. It goes against the lines on the side of the car, IMO. The fact that the molding is thin, the shape of the door, and where the molding is placed, it will give very limited protection. Probably the main reason Honda doesn't just put it on every car, as they did in previous models. I guess beauty and effectiveness is in the eye of the beholder. ;)
  • sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    I currently have an OTD price of 27689 on a 2008 4Dr V6EXL Accord W/O Nav. It also has mud flaps, body molding, wheel locks and trunk tray. Has anybody got a better price than this? (VA tax is 4%). I offered 27K and they said it would put them below invoice, I thought invoice was 25,500 on this car?
    It sounds like you aren't including the destination charge of 635.00.

Thse aren't "invoice cars". At least not in my area where they are in pretty short supply.
This discussion has been closed.