Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    edited December 2012
    No I haven't driven a Passat...why would I have? I was talking about our rental VW (gee, on this forum one would think that only GM's were rental cars!).

Sounds like a blind allegiance to VW, to me. Quality issues there are OK to buffs, it seems though.

No need to get testy because someone has a different opinion than you...and that's all it is, an opinion, not stated as fact.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,562
    I previously posted about this over on the General Motors Fans topic, but I actually test drove a new Malibu(in order to get a $50 Macy's gift card). Needless to say, FWD mid-size family sedans are light years from my cup of tea, but I'll note that it had a very nice interior, felt solid, and drove quite well for what it was. I would say that potential non-enthusiast buyers in that segment should give it a hard look.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

edited December 2012
    I had seen that, roadburner, but not too many others who post regularly here will want to see it, I'm afraid.

I was going to take a test drive while in for routine maintenance, in a new Malibu for a pair of some-designer sunglasses, but I talked the salesman into just letting me have the glasses (they were mailed to me at a later date).

They didn't fit my big head very well so I gave them to my much younger brother-in-law ('03 Cavalier and newer Saturn Ion owner).
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,753
    Have you test driven the Passat or is your allegiance blind?

If you have two categories, the INDEPENDENT THINKERS and the BLIND FOLLOWERS, I think I can guess which category applies here. ;)
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,773
    Everything awesome about America is seen there. Lifted overcompensating bro truck with stacks, half finished cardboard 'n plywood tract house orchard, the accents, what a laugh.

Not a very well planned fight, but the truck driver agreed to it....
    edited December 2012
    You could've said, "We're all open-minded, but when somebody disagrees with us, it's time to lob the insults".

Surely you can admit that VW has had quality issues and lately.
    edited December 2012
    You could've said, "We're all open-minded, but when somebody disagrees with us, it's time to lob the insults".

My definition of blind follower is somebody who will ALWAYS choose the home team even when they're not as good. I don't see that as an insult, but a statement of fact.

My definition of an independent thinker is somebody who will criticize everybody, and also praise everybody, as warranted. And will actually choose those products based upon merit. When somebody is 5 for 5 or 10 for 10 in products purchased, all from the same brand, well, do we REALLY think that in every case the purchased product was the best? I find that hard to believe.

VW hasn't just had quality issues lately, VW has had quality issues for decades. But they still were really nice driving cars, especially before the most recent "redesigns" to make the Passat and Jetta more "Americanized".
    Is an independent thinker, someone who will say, "The Cobalt is a POS", yet when pressed, will admit that they had never even sat in one, yet alone ridden or driven in one?

I think that person is a domestic-industry bigot.

You did not see me say "The Passat is a POS".

Therein lies a very, very distinct difference.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    edited December 2012
    Not a very well planned fight, but the truck driver agreed to it....

LOL,

I have a feeling it started with something like "My bad [non-permissible content removed] Silverado will pull the farfegnugen right out of your peace of crap import" while he was sucking down Budweiser;)
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,562
    But they still were really nice driving cars, especially before the most recent "redesigns" to make the Passat and Jetta more "Americanized".

Yes, what a great idea, restyle and re-engineer the Jetta and Passat for so-called "American" tastes. Exactly what I DON'T want...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    ...I'll note that it had a very nice interior, felt solid, and drove quite well for what it was. I would say that potential non-enthusiast buyers in that segment should give it a hard look.

Yes, after a week's rental experience this past summer in a Malibu, that was my take-away as well. With the current pricing/buyer's advantage on this particular model, I think it's a pretty good deal if the styling/design/functionality is what one finds desirable.
    I think you drove the '12 model busiris, and roadburner's talking about the totally new '13.

Overall, for size and styling, I still like the '12 better.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    I'm sure that salesperson was delighted not to have to go on a useless test drive and that he was happy to just give you the coupon for those sunglasses!

Honda did a similar "promotion" years ago. They gave away a pair of walkie talkies for people who brought that mailer in.

Never have I seen so many "non serious" shoppers...being nice here!

When people walked in with that yellow card in their hands, the salespeople would head for the door or make a make believe phone call.

I don't recall one sale being made over that promo.

A lot of times we would bget lucky when the customers told us they had no intension of buying a new car and could we just sign off his mailer.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,341
    And yeah, DUI carries harsher real penalties there than here, as it does in virtually every other developed nation. We'd rather use our justice system to fight potheads.

Although DUI's carry hefty fines and hence, hefty profits, I have a feeling our officer's would rather just simply issue a speeding ticket as that's easier and lazier to enforce.

Even when a DUI accident causes a death in the area (as it did this last weekend), they concentrate on the fact the driver was "speeding!" OH MY GOD THEY were going 70 in a 65 (What an egregious speeder) and less focus was placed on the fact they were drunk driving, driving on the wrong side of the road (and hence, wrong lane), and then rammed a vehicle head-on, killing the occupant in the innocent vehicle.

To the common sense person, you would think the drunken driving, the being in the wrong lane, wrong side of the road, and failure to yield the right of way would be the cause of that accident, but no, the media and the CHP seem fixated on the fact they were speeding! I'm sure speed was the factor. LOL! What a joke! :cry:
    Try Smashburger in San Diego if you like burgers.

Also, the Miho Gourmet Food Truck. Two best burgers I've had in the county of San Diego.

I imagine they use "American" grown ingredients.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    DUI requires actual charges and an actual trial. That's a lot of work (for the officer and the court) compared to printing a mail-in summons, and then sending a check.
    I think you drove the '12 model busiris, and roadburner's talking about the totally new '13.

Overall, for size and styling, I still like the '12 better.

You're probably right, but I would still think the '13 would be a good buy for anyone looking for reliable, affordable transportation.
    DUI requires actual charges and an actual trial. That's a lot of work (for the officer and the court) compared to printing a mail-in summons, and then sending a check.

Yes, true, but a DUI arrest actually serves and protects, while a speeding ticket generally aggravates, angers, and increases both road range and disrespect of the courts and law enforcement from both real and perceived lack of fairness in traffic court.

I say the same thing about red light cameras being useless. A red light runner is free to run another red light 5 minutes later and kill someone, while if they are pulled over by a real cop, they won't be running any red lights for at least 15 minutes, minimum, and likely longer.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,201
    I haven't run into a Smashburger, but heard they are good. Is that the new chain that some former McDonald's exec's started up?
    Back east, "Five Guys" burgers and fresh-cut fries are wonderful, but sheesh are they expensive (and as I've said, I'm a cheapskate). Their small fries are really fries for two, but a single burger and small fry and Diet Coke run about $9 and a half here. But it is really good.
    We have a few Five Guys here in CA, too. Theyre good, but my favorite is a small chain called The Habit Burger Grill. They started in Santa Barbara and now stretch from SF to San Diego in CA, and a few in AZ and UT. Very fresh ingredients, great salads too. I think they're better than In N Out, which I find good but a bit too greasy.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,018
    No need to get testy because someone has a different opinion than you...and that's all it is, an opinion, not stated as fact.

Hmmm, now who is testy? I have bought new vehicles from all 3 domestics and several of the foreign makers. So my opinions are based on experience. If you have only driven GM and never even test driven the competing vehicles how do you know you are getting the most bang for your dollars?
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    edited January 2013
    Back east, "Five Guys" burgers and fresh-cut fries are wonderful, but sheesh are they expensive (and as I've said, I'm a cheapskate). Their small fries are really fries for two, but a single burger and small fry and Diet Coke run about $9 and a half here. But it is really good.

A "Five Guys" just opened here recently. I've yet to try it as they're always packed.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,998
    Around here, the running joke is that someone will say "I'm gonna do 5 Guys for lunch", and someone will respond "Man, are you gonna be sore when you get back!" :P

I've eaten there a few times. Food is good, and fresh, but kinda greasy. It is a bit pricey, but man, those Five Guys will fill you up!
    Yes, true, but a DUI arrest actually serves and protects, while a speeding ticket generally aggravates, angers, and increases both road range and disrespect of the courts and law enforcement from both real and perceived lack of fairness in traffic court.

Yes but it also generates revenue for localities. Which is what it's actually designed to do.
    There are a couple of 5 Guys Burgers here as well. A small fry order there is an excessively oversized one anywhere else. If you price the fry order by individual piece, its probably cheaper than McDonalds. It's a LOT of fries...

Good tasting food, but you can almost feel your cholesterol rising 50 points as you enter the place.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They're popular here and I see why.

I also like Elevation Burger.

Having said that, there are too many franchises that are similar and some will fail. BGR is overpriced so I doubt they last.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,248
    >Back east , "Five Guys" burgers and fresh-cut fries are wonderful, but sheesh are they expensive (and as I've said, I'm a cheapskate). Their small fries

There's one by campus in Columbus OH, but my son says BurgerWorks, a burger intensive store by Red Robin, is better. I've not been to either.
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    As I cruze the net on a mission to educate and have Americans THINK. I notice that until you have either been unemployed, or under employed most people really don't understand what it means to buy American. The ramifications, the longterm effects of not buying American products and services. Buying American products and services does effect you. Many ask me how do I buy something I want that is not made in America. Simple, buy slightly used. Another thing is you can still find many products made in America. The chain stores buy cheap goods made from overseas to maintain healthy profits. If you don't mind waiting a few days, you can find plenty of sites online for made in America goods and services.
    I work for an ecommerce company. I don't care where you buy it from, so long as you buy it over the Internet. Otherwise, I'm out of a job. :shades: