Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,491
    Once, I responded to a poster by telling him the exact page in the owner's manual where he could find the answer.

He responded in a most negative way, stating that if he was interested in looking it up in the manual, he would have already done so.

I had the exact thing happen on one of the Edmunds forums; I told the poster that I wasn't about to perform research that he/she was perfectly capable of doing on his/her own...
    Moron.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,550
    Lots of people don't have owner's manuals though. Either they are lost or they drove a different car to work (where they are browsing the forums :shades: ) or the car is in a parking garage three blocks away.

That's when you can refer them to How To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    OTOH, many that DO have owner's manuals never bother to open them.

I know I'm old-fashioned, but when my daughters got a new car, I refused to let them drive it until they at least familiarized themselves with the manuals... Knew where to find out what the dash warning lights meant, where the spare tire/jack/tire tools were located, how to check the fluids, etc.

In college, both girls became the "go-to" kids for car questions from their friends.

It paid off in other ways for my daughter when she began her clinical sessions in Seattle (i live in SC, a country away from her). Something happened to a relay, and the radio would continuously stay on, key in or not. Of course, this happened late on a Saturday night. She was able to locate the correct fuse using the manual and pull it, keeping the battery from dying.
    edited January 2013
    I do that before I buy a new car. Good thing for the salespeople that I only buy one a decade. The last guy was cool though and even gave me his "comparison" book to flip through to compare the van to the competing models.

It's really irritating that Toyota and VW and some other companies don't offer that online, although I guess Toyota lets you download the manual chapter by chapter now. But geeze, that's 35 different downloads and that doesn't include the Nav and maintenance schedule.

An American car company wouldn't make you jump through so many hoops. :shades:

I bet your daughters check out the controls before driving off in rental cars too.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,993
    It is rare for me to look at a manual for anything. I like to figure it out for myself. The only thing I wanted to know about the NAV in the Sequoia was not in the manual. How to over ride the lockout while moving. I got it online through a forum. I check the maintenance schedules and that is about it. Most vehicle manuals are so poorly written and laid out it would drive me crazy to read them.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Brazil is going to E25 if you can believe that.

Most cars are flex fuel anyway.

Saw a gallon of OJ for six bucks! Ouch!
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,330
    I know I would definitely check to see if the floor mat or anything else was loose that could potentially interfere with my operation of any of the foot pedals, even in a rental car.

I would also shift into neutral if the accelerator got stuck, and/or turn off the motor/ignition.

You don't need a manual to tell you those common sense things though.
    I had to consult one a while back in a rental car. Was happy that the rental even had a manual in it. Was having trouble figuring out the climate control or something.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,714
    Strange thing, as the US has given decent sums of foreign aid to Brazil. But, I can think of worse destinations, several of which receive much more.
    Lula didn't help relations much, smoking cigars with Castro and all...

Dilma isn't much different. She was his right hand man woman.

The car guy's president was Collor. He opened the flood gates, you could buy any car in the world (for a price) when he was President.

Of course he was so corrupt we impeached him. I mean really impeached, as in left office.
    I'd like to see some Chrysler execs join Wagoner, and then other Wall Street Bailout company execs in a prison cell somewhere in Mexico for the next 25 years.
    That I wouldn't be suprised if some Neon owners ended up with Viper engines in their car. ;) :P

Oops, that motor wouldn't fit, so I guess that would be a hard mistake to cover up. Cover up a mistake? The big 3? never! :sick:
    I'd like to see some Chrysler execs join Wagoner

That would be tough to take. Wagoner got a $23 million pension package guaranteed when he left. That is bad considering he took GM from $70 per share to under $4 per share in 8 years. And lost 10% of their market share.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    That would be tough to take. Wagoner got a $23 million pension package guaranteed when he left. That is bad considering he took GM from $70 per share to under $4 per share in 8 years. And lost 10% of their market share.

LOL, sign me up. I promise to give at least 1/2 away to charity;)
    That is over $500,000 per year if he lives to 100. The stockholders should have sued him for every penny he had. Too many of these execs have cost companies huge amounts of revenue, then walked away with their pockets filled. If you make money for your company, good pay is deserved. Wagoner ran GM down from the moment he took over in 2000. He lost them money when it was flowing like a river.
    edited February 2013
    January 10, 2013. HOUSTON, Texas – Hennessey® Performance (HPE) today announced that on January 10, 2013 its street-legal Venom GT® supercar accelerated from 0-300 km/h in just 13.63 seconds, thus establishing the vehicle as a new record holder according to Guinness® WORLD RECORDS (GWR). The acceleration time was an average of two runs made in opposite directions within one hour and validated by a VBox 3i GPS-based data logging system. VBox officials were on hand to certify the numbers as required by Guinness® rules. The first run was completed in 13.18 seconds with a 4 mph tailwind. The second run was made in 14.08 seconds while encountering a 6 mph headwind. The resulting two-way 0-300 km/h average was 13.63 seconds.

Hennessey® only plans to build a total of 29 Venom GTs, with one-third of the production run already being sold. Thus, the Venom GT® is not only the fastest accelerating production car in the world, it’s also one of the most exclusive. The Venom GT® costs $1.2 million US Dollars plus shipping and not including options. Each vehicle is custom built to order and requires six months for completion

http://www.desktopmachine.com/press/1970/Lotus_Exige_Hennesey_Venom_GT/
    If you want to order one here is the website:

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    The car is assembled in Silverstone, England. The chassis is a modified Lotus Exige chassis, also built in England.

The engine comes from Texas, but is sent to England to be mated to the car.

The company itself is headquartered in Texas where they build the engine, which begs the question of why they export the engine for assembly instead of importing the chassis.
    Thank you Paul Harvey, now I know the rest of the story. I tried to find that info on their website. It is possible most of their sales are in the EU. May save on corporate taxes as well. Many good reasons NOT to build stuff in the USA. At least an American nameplate holds the record.
    It's the modern day Shelby Cobra, basically.

Still, inside beats an American heart.
    You can offer lower corporate taxes when you aren't a policeman enslaved to the military-industrial monster controlled by offshore entities, and don't offer endless pity me policies for the top few.

I doubt many of those sell at all, it's fast - but just a little odd, and isn't ostentatious.
    The price of $1.2 million does limit the buyers. However it will sell out the 29 units they plan to build with no problem. We have a lot worse problems than our military industrial complex. One of the few industries still providing good jobs to Americans.
    Selling those all might take time - the typical show off royalty supercar driver wants bling, a Veyron or Pagani etc.

Those "jobs" are subsidized by the taxpayer (aka debt and deficit) and exist only because of our idiotic foreign policy. They most certainly are not legitimate free market jobs. Rand and Mises and the rest of the dreamers would not approve.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,752
    You can offer lower corporate taxes when you aren't a policeman enslaved to the military-industrial monster controlled by offshore entities, and don't offer endless pity me policies for the top few.

If there are lower taxes then I'm sure it's a bananna republic overrun with executive criminals. :P
    Or at very least, a parasite moving ahead thanks to the effort and expense of someone else. These nations are no more legitimate than college kids with a parental free ride pretending to be independent adults.

When one lacks the cojones to name the tax shelter, I guess it is moot ;)
    I think it is far better looking than the Butt ugly Veyron. I would still prefer a Porsche Carrera in my garage.

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,752
    These nations are no more legitimate than college kids with a parental free ride pretending to be independent adults.

Aren't we talking England here? I guess we all have different definitions of legitimacy. ;)
    edited February 2013
    How long did we subsidize their defense or otherwise come to their aid? It aint free. Oh well, the sun has set there - they'll take any money no matter how bloody. I suspect they also tax their "job creators" higher to compensate for any corporate tax benefits.
    edited February 2013
    Kind of different price points there, too - could buy a dozen Porsches for the price of the SuperElise.

If I had 7 figures to blow - Pagani Huayra. Ugly as sin, but amazing engineering, amazing interior, Mercedes-AMG heart.
    For 7 figures....I'd spend half to pave a track on private property and then buy 5 different $100,000 cars. Then invite friends to race 'em. :shades: