Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,773
    If I could afford to blow 7 figures on a toy, I'd already have my own track and underground bunker full of cars :shades:
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,753
    How long did we subsidize their defense or otherwise come to their aid? It aint free. Oh well, the sun has set there - they'll take any money no matter how bloody.

Now we're talking bloody? I thought this was about American cars. :P

There certainly are no (real) British cars left.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    underground bunker full of cars

Like this guy?

http://youtu.be/3t_1f0SXBsI
    These beloved tax havens seem to practice ethics on par with so much of our should-be-hanged FIRE industry leaders.

No 100% British mass market car, but there are still some small volume hangers-on.
    Mine would be more like Leno's - I wouldn't be scared to let people in to look. Maybe even operate it as a museum with proceeds going to charity.
    I know it sounds boring, but having a bunch of identical cars would be neat because then it's purely up to the driver.
    I'd have a fleet of 190D fintails for the track, have fun with that :shades:
    Would be a test of who can preserve momentum best. Actually kinda sounds like fun.

Or you could run a 24 hour format. Probably would not have a single break down or anyone running out of diesel.
    That would be a pro - easy maintenance, and no huge speed related crashes, too.

I'll say my old car is more fun to actually drive than the AMG - as it takes more work, planning, skill. Conserving momentum and making the most of the transmission isn't the same as simply aiming and flooring it.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,753
    I'll say my old car is more fun to actually drive than the AMG - as it takes more work, planning, skill. Conserving momentum and making the most of the transmission isn't the same as simply aiming and flooring it.

My first (used) car was a '66 Beetle. Talk about sporting! I needed tons of work planning, skill, and especially conservation of momentum to drive that car!
    edited February 2013
    I merged onto an interstate on a long uphill on-ramp. I got to the speed limit by the end, anyway :shades:

Something even the worst American cars haven't had to deal with in a long time.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Ooh I think I struck a nerve. Then again, everything except the engine is done in England. I question the fact that it's an American car, despite being built by an American company.

This is the same sort of question that faces us regarding Chevys built in Canada and Fords built in Mexico. How (United States of) American are they?

Anyway, that Venom GT is most definitely NOT "Made in the USA."
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I'm pleased to see and hear that some Chevys that have been built in Canada (and are even available for purchase by a retail buyer!) are moving to U.S. production--Camaro and Impala (at least some of Impala production).

The Fusion will be made in the 'States soon, which is only a good thing (and for those who'll say Mexican assembly quality is better, CR had some issues with that in the March issue).
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,776
    "Consider the gradations of virtue in buying American. There are Japanese models that are built in the U.S., so it may actually help the U.S. economy just as much or more to buy a Honda built in Indiana as it would to buy a Chrysler built in Italy. But then there is the question of where in the U.S. the car was built. I am much more supportive of right-to-work states than I am of union-monopolized states, so on that basis isn't it more pro-American to buy a Toyota built in Alabama than a General Motors vehicle from Michigan?"

'Buy American' isn't as easy as it used to be. Then there's also the 'buy right-to-work state' urge (WSJ)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hmm, Chryslers built in Italy and sold in the US...lots of those come to mind!
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,018
    I agree with you. Now that Michigan is RTW you may see some movement. The UAW stranglehold is broken or at least forced to do their job representing the workers. This site has the COO stats:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws+&+Regulations/Part+583+American+Automobile+Labeling+Ac- t+%28AALA%29+Reports

Looks like for 2013 most of the Chrysler Mini Vans are Canadian made.
    edited February 2013
    You agree with who? I just pasted a op-ed piece to generate some more conversation. Doesn't mean I agree with any of it. :P

It did summarize most of the arguments. The sidebar about having kids doesn't have anything to do with buying an American car and I don't know why she went there.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I did not notice the quotes or see a byline. Just kind of thought you had a change of heart on Unions and RTW. I am always glad to see someone see the light. I did not read the article. Just thought you were looking for a mini van again. The Odyssey & Sienna are both 75% USA content. Too bad the Honda is SOOOOOO ugly. Last one was a decent looking van. Sienna is not much better looking. Not on my radar without diesel.

The 2013 GC is 68% US content. Not sure about the 2014. Cannot find any data on new models. Engine from Italy and transmission from Germany. Has to be about a 3rd of the content.
    had a change of heart on Unions and RTW.

There you go again. I can understand most of the pros and cons and have lived in both kinds of states and have even been a union member (briefly in TN, of all places). My "position" hasn't changed in many decades - I don't want to be forced to join one. But seeing how far the pendulum has swung toward corporate rights, I may just change my mind.

My UAW built Nissan assembled in Ohio has been a gem.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,178
    I would be more like Harold LeMay:

I was a union member for most of my 46 years in the workforce. And I know what is good and not good about Unions. Of course the worst in my opinion are the Unions forced onto the tax payers.

American workers are as good as anywhere else if properly motivated to do a good job. That is the job of management. That pendulum swing was a result of lousy management that slopped over onto the trades. Big corporations do what they have to do to compete. The fat cats found it was much easier to get rich contracting with foreign factories than building their own with all the regulations and crap inherent in our devolving society. Without government subsidies the D3 would be building far less vehicles using UAW labor. Even the Foreign autos built here get subsidies of one sort or another. In the end the consumer and tax payer get screwed.
    edited February 2013
    VW's experience appears to say just the opposite. Heavy regulation, strong unions, government involvement (including partial state ownership), stagnant economy at home. And yet they are blowing the doors off at home and in many other countries, compared to most of the competition.

edited February 2013
    My bias is showing, but here's the only museum I'm a member of:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sjb4photos/6988205662/in/set-72157629908925901

The lettering are restored letters from the Newman and Altman dealership in town. This is a vestibule in the center of the building.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Looks like a fun place to visit...
    I love it, but of course wish it was even larger. They have about 70 vehicles on display.

I get a little frustrated when they bring other cars in, and other South Bend artifacts into display, but then I realize it's not guys like me they need to woo back in for repeat visits, but local people and others who aren't just Studey buffs like me.
    for those who'll say Mexican assembly quality is better

I doubt many would claim that.
    I was thinking dieselone had said that about a previous Fusion versus his wife's Taurus...but I could be wrong.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    I said something like that. The 1st gen Fusion was rated among the best if not the best in the family sedan segment.

I mentioned that my brother's 2010 Fusion sport has fit-n-finish quality that simply in another league compared to my wife's 2011 Taurus which was built in Chicago. But who knows, maybe the Fusion that came of the lot before or after his was horrible, and we got the odd Taurus that has odd gaps and poor panel alignment.
    The new Fusion has a cramped footwell. I wasn't comfy in it. A shame because the hybrid model is a great value.

My wife also had to duck to get in the back seat, but MANY big sedans have this issue nowadays.
    edited February 2013
    I simply don't like Ford's styling. I can barely tell a Fusion from a Focus, except for size it seems. Not big on the fish mouth grille.

In comparison, I think the Malibu is a beauty queen, and I think it looks less 'foreign' than the Fusion (but being from Kansas City instread of Mexico, I guess it is!). I think I'd be compelled to choose the '14 Impala though.