Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,090
    I scrounged the wrecking yards for the Pontiac hood ornament for my 1947 Pontiac Convertible. Today I would probably be tossed in jail for a hate crime if I drove a car with that fixture. The later Pontiac logos were ugly.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,106
    The high beam indicator on the dash of my '69 Bonneville was shaped roughly like Chief Pontiac's profile, so even by that time, it was still acceptable to do that kind of stuff.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Speaking of Indians, my older daughter goes to Miami University in Ohio. I work with a guy who is 65 who graduated there in '69 and loved it. Back then, their football team was the "Redskins". Now, it's the "Redhawks".

Now, to German-on-both-sides me, Mr. Pasty White older guy, I think naming a team after Indians is a tribute to them, not a knockdown. But what do I know.

BTW, I did a 75-minute tour of the Cleveland Auto Show. Had a free ticket and didn't want to kill the whole day. There were three Impalas there, but only one you could climb into (others were roped off). It must have been the same one andre had seen earlier--navy blue with pumpkin-colored leather--a bit much for me but my wife, upon hearing about it, said, "oooohhh". Honestly, I expected the car to seem wider inside, and the rear legroom didn't seem any greater than our '11 Malibu with 112.3 inch wheelbase, but then there was a lady in the RF seat at the time and I don't know how far she had it back. I got into the driver's seat and it was back quite a bit....I couldn't have driven it like that. The guy giving the schpiel about it said there are two four-cylinders, which I hadn't heard...a 2.4L with 182 hp and a 2.5 with 197, then the 3.6 V6 with 303 hp. He said the first ones dealers will get will be the 3.6 (surprise)!. I did like the styling, although the rear reminded me of a Sonata (you heard it here first). I watched a few younger guys (30's) with their Dads, hearing a couple times, "Dad, this is the new Impala" and one in particular said, "I don't like it". I said to him, "It should have three lights on each side in the back!" (only half-kiddingly) and he said "I have an '08 and don't like it as much as that".

Someone else had posted in the past few weeks that the Cruze's U.S./Canada content was 45%. Every one I looked at today was 56%--still not high enough but more than the 45% reported. I looked at only LT's with automatics, but all were assembled in OH, and all had engines and transmissions assembled in the U.S.

They had no '14 Corvettes to look at, a disappointment. I overheard one guy say "There are only three for the Auto Show circuit and I believe one is in Geneva now". Who knows if true or B.S.

One thing I liked about the ZL-1 Camaro was its large piano-black panels on the interior door panels. I like piano black as a decoration.

One vehicle that struck me immediately as having too much wheel opening for the little tires was a base-model Honda CR-V. Upon looking closer, they were 16-inch tires. Who'da thunk I'd be so used to bigger that 16 inch seemed small?

Over at the Caddy display, I liked seeing an ATS with red interior--yea! not black or gray! But the car I probably liked best of all that I looked at during the whole show, not factoring price into the equation? The Cadillac XTS. I simply like that size car, and to me it looks "Cadillac" and modern at the same time. (I like the exterior size of the Impala too).

One of the eye-candy gals at the Buick display approached me, looked at my sweatshirt and said, "Clarion? I graduated from there too!". We talked for probably two or three minutes.

My favorite part of the whole show was looking at the fifty or so 'classic' cars parked in another room.
    BTW, the guy giving the Impala schpiel said that a car like the navy blue one, fully loaded LTZ, would be $38K. Seems ridiculous, but on the other hand I saw a Fusion, not a Hybrid, built in "Hermosilla" that was $35K, so I guess that's what top-end 'domestic' sedans sticker for these days. A far cry from the $19K I paid for our '11 Malibu which stickered for $24-oddK.
    Now, to German-on-both-sides me, Mr. Pasty White older guy, I think naming a team after Indians is a tribute to them, not a knockdown. But what do I know.

I can see something like "Pontiac", and the image of Chief Pontiac being viewed as a tribute. But isn't "Redskin" a derogatory term? I also recall reading that when the Chevy Apache truck came out, there was a lot of backlash. But, wasn't "Apache" the name of a tribe?
    $38K for an Impala does seem ridiculous at first glance. However, I'd imagine that's fully loaded, with Nav and everything. It's more than a fully-loaded Camry, Accord, Altima, etc. But, for the first time since the Impala name was resurrected, I can proudly say the Impala is a much more substantial, upscale car than any of those.

Going back to 2011, I would've taken a Malibu over an Impala, in a hearbeat.
    I think "Redskin" has been considered a derogatory term since some time in my adult years. Supposedly the name came as a tribute to the Miami Indian tribe down there, but apparently between 1969 and now someone changed their mind.

Apache is a tribe. I think Chevy quit using that after '61, just when they started using "SS"! ;)
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,767
    I think "Redskin" has been considered a derogatory term since some time in my adult years. Supposedly the name came as a tribute to the Miami Indian tribe down there, but apparently between 1969 and now someone changed their mind.

My high school did the Redskins to Redhawks fiasco in the '80s. My school had even obtained permission from cartoonist Al Capp to use the character Lonesome Polecat from his Lil' Abner comic strip. When the school pesters me for a contribution I tell them I can't help, because I am-and always will be-a Redskin!!!

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

...my cousin just asked me if they had an SS on display. They did not. Would it have killed them to have one? Sheesh!

They did have a couple '14 Silverados. I'm not a truck buyer, but I did look at one. I like the Terrain-like wheel openings. The one on a turntable was a color very much like my '81 Monte Carlo's 'dark jade' (not nearly as dark as '82 dark jade, andre!). It could have been the lights, though. I liked the chrome front end...way more cohesive IMHO than pics I've seen of the new Tundra. The gal giving the schpiel mentioned three engineering features that no other trucks had, but I didn't bother to listen beyond that.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,178
    As another one with Germanic/central European heritage, I wouldn't be offended if a car was called the "Teuton" or the "Franconian", etc. And names like Apache or Pontiac are nothing but good, they are displaying a reverence. You don't name a product after something you think isn't excellent.

Regarding the CRV - a base model is painfully cheap looking, the wheels give it away. Tightwad special. Red interiors can be cool, MB offers them now. Local dealer has a phenomenal loaded white on red C63 AMG - but at something like 87K, not for me.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited February 2013
    Not if it refers to a spud. ;)
    Good point. Would Mr. Potato Head be offended if someone referred to him as a 'redskin'? LOL
  • berriberri Posts: 4,254
    One of the most ridiculous cases of overkill was the U of Illinois "Fighting Illini". But then that state has the honor of being home to the American Bar Association!
  • berriberri Posts: 4,254
    Mr. Potato Head

...and if he's short in stature, you best not be using the nickname "French" Fry either!
    Lawyers, what can't they do?

On the American car topic, I was reading through a magazine I got in Germany a few months ago - had sales figures for August. That month, the Camaro outsold the Lexus GS in Germany by 20%! So American cars must not be all bad to everyone.

The current Malibu is also being sold in Germany, believe it or not. The magazine was fairly positive about it, liking the design, price, and coming fairly loaded as standard (German makes don't play that way). They mainly complained about the "un sporty" transmission and lack of engine choices.
    edited February 2013
    So American cars must not be all bad to everyone.

Europe is buying old American cars. My neighbor sold a 57 Chevy to someone in Germany. My barber sold her prize 1956 Ford PU truck to someone in Sweden.

It is possible the German government is giving American branded cars a break to get the balance of trade more balanced. Last year we were on the negative by about $70 billion.
    Yeah, old American cars have been going over for years, old European cars too. They are just worth more there, even with a few grand for shipping, one can come out ahead.

I don't know if it is a trade thing - who knows if the Malibu will actually sell there - if it doesn't sell, it doesn't help a deficit. I don't believe American cars have any special import duties either. I think the Chevy brand in Germany (mostly Korean stuff) just wants a full model range, and there are Germans who like big and cheap. Interesting that it is offered anyway.
    Interesting that it is offered anyway.

I agree, the only thing from D3 that had my attention is the new JGC until I saw the Pics of them. Look like some Lexus designer was hired. YUCK.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,968
    That's not the JGC - it's the Cherokee.

Based on an Alfa platform.
    It's not Europe, but as some of you already know, my 1963, 1964, and 1966 Studebaker Daytonas all were sold by me to buyers in Australia in the past two years.
    I know a guy (not well) who has a 1950 Pontiac two-door fastback bodystyle (whatever they called it), with a similar hood ornament. I think that ornament is awesome.
    I was corrected on that by someone on Rocky's FB page. Thank goodness it is not the GC.
    That hood ornament would look good on any number of cars. Sadly I was a poor lad that could not afford to even buy a rag top for my 1947 Pontiac. Drove it a year with no top. Put a tarp over it when it rained.
    Was the Daytona ever sold in the USA? Or was that the Stude Lark sold here? I sold my 1955 Studebaker two door hardtop about 1962 and got into off road vehicles. That is one of about 3 vehicles I have owned I wish I still had.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,197
    In the 1970s Philadelphia had:

3 - NBC
    6 - ABC
    10 - CBS
    12 - PBS
    17 - Independent
    29 - Independent
    48 - Independent

In 1975, my Dad bought a thing called a rotor for the roof antenna. Using the rotor to aim the antenna, we were able to pull in the New York channels and a few from Lancaster, Reading, and even NE Pennsylvania! We kids thought it was absolutely awesome getting all those extra channels!
    My American-made Zenith console TV just died after 27 years. The On/Off switch broke and the set won't come on, but it still delivered a phenomenal picture until then. Sad I can't find the part anywhere. I doubt very much a new LED TV will last that long.
    I believe Jaguar was originally called "SS Cars."
    Yeesh - if an Impala spec'd out to my standards is $38K, I might as well get that loaded Buick LaCrosse CXS for my wife instead and just get another hooptie for myself.
    edited February 2013
    I wonder why my wife who is 100% Irish doesn't get upset about the teams being named the Boston Celtics or Notre Dame's "Fightin' Irish?"
    Was the Daytona ever sold in the USA? Or was that the Stude Lark sold here? I sold my 1955 Studebaker two door hardtop about 1962 and got into off road vehicles. That is one of about 3 vehicles I have owned I wish I still had.

It was called "Lark Daytona" in '62 and '63--the upper-scale Lark hardtop and convertible. They dropped the "Lark" in '64-66, but it was still basically a Lark.