Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,781
    I *think* the #1 vehicle for domestic content right now is the Ford F-150 having dethroned the Camry recently. How/why----gee, I dunno.......

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,750
    The NASA budget is chintzy, miserly, way underfunded. It's .8% of the Federal budget, and is being cut annually (and again for next year).

When someone lands on Mars, they probably won't be Americans.

We can't even launch a human into space anymore.

You're preaching to the choir on that one. NASA's current decline is indicative of the rest of the country.

But that is the reason I don't like supporting failed companies. Tesla is American, and yet GM is becoming much less so. The foreign transplants are becoming more so all the time. Many of the foreign vehicles are designed in the US as well as being built here. They even have local management. OK, corporate HQ is in another company. So what? Most of the economic benefit is right here on our soil.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,683
    Businesspeople do long term planning? That doesn't seem to be a skill of the modern exec/cloned MBA dope.

I haven't seen any credible analysis stating there is anything really new with subprime car loans, nor a looming disaster - because cars are a completely different and uncomparable type of good compared to what passes for residential housing in the US.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,174
    edited November 2013
    I'm trying to figure out how GM thinks getting more Chinese is going to help them move up in the reliability charts versus the Japanese products? It seems like not a week or two go by before there is another Chinese quality debacle. If you're lucky it's just a defect, but sometimes it is something that can harm or kill you, or something in the environment around you. No thanks.
  • Americans just can't put the 2 and 2 together. As Americans complain about not finding good paying jobs, or jobs at all. Yet we continue to purchase foreign goods and services?? Watch a show called "Death by China", it is on Netflix right now. I believe every American should watch this. Americans need to think long term. When you purchase foreign it damages our economy long term. Takes money out of our system, takes money offshore for investment, taxes, payroll, and more. Our education system needs to educate our next generations on what it means to them to keep our wealth closer to home.
    That film is pretty crude and heavy handed. It's certainly a one-sided polemic that is short on analysis and long on propaganda. It's rather hysterical--sort of a Michael Moore film in reverse.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,964
    The workers all looked happier than the average UAW worker.
    That wouldn't be hard!

Not all UAW members are disgruntled auto workers. Seems the TAs doing all the work for over paid professors are not happy with their UAW contract. Time to strike and shut down the University system in CA.

A union representing student workers throughout the UC system has authorized its members to go on strike following a unionwide vote that passed with 96 percent support. United Auto Workers Local 2865 includes 12,000 teaching assistants, graduate student teachers and readers who now have the authority to strike in protest of alleged intimidation tactics used by the UC administration.

The vote comes a week after the union’s no-strike clause expired in its contracts with the University of California. UAW has expressed support for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees 3299 workers, who plan to strike at UC campuses on Nov. 20. UAW may join them in solidarity.

http://ucsdguardian.org/?p=15934
    The Byzantine complexities of academia are almost beyond belief.

It is harder to get a professorship in some Universities than to get elected President of the USA. In CA universities it is worth the effort.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673

One thing that should be eliminated from all teachers is the concept of tenure...just because you have managed to stay somewhere for 5 years does not guarantee you not to be fired...

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,683

Not just for teachers, but for the usually oversalaried and overpensioned public sector "professional" ranks in general. I have a friend who works for a local city...he says once you've been there 5 years, it'd take a catastrophe for you to be let go.

@marsha7 said: One thing that should be eliminated from all teachers is the concept of tenure...just because you have managed to stay somewhere for 5 years does not guarantee you not to be fired...

fintail

I am with you...eliminate tenure for anybody...nobody should have a guaranteed job simply because they managed to stay out of trouble for X amount of time

The U.S. Army top brass isn't going to like that! :)

Oh, well...:):):)

• berriberri Posts: 4,174

I'm also leery of tenure type situations. However, OTOH you also need to be careful of penalizing a teacher in a given year when they were stuck with dumb students, or students who have the attached baggage of poor parenting. I mean this may not be politically correct, but it's a truism sometimes unfortunately. I still think the answer is bringing schools back to their 50/60's roots were they were local. Get state and federal noses out of it. It will be cheaper with better performance. I mean look at all the additional levels of staff and administrators that higher gov involvement has saddled our school systems with. That costs money and all the resultant bureaucratic reports take attention off of the students and community served. Our schools excelled back in those decades because schools were primarily part of the local community and political correctness didn't preclude discipline and academic performance. The bell curve says most students should get a "C", higher level gov has inflated that with bad consequences when the students get to the college level. Back in the day, school district performance differences affected local property values and resale ability - you bet parents took it seriously.

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,420

Anyone meaning to buy an American car this month?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,151

@Stever@Edmunds said: Anyone meaning to buy an American car this month?

Most likely within the next month: February only has 6 days left.

Yeah, but the weather in much of the country has hammered sales, and the end of the month quotas are approaching. Better go hit the dealers. B)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,447

Probably not going to buy anything, but odds are that if I did it would be either German or Italian. A Fiesta ST would be a long shot, especially since none of the local Ford dealers hire service techs with opposable thumbs.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    edited February 24

@Stever@Edmunds said: Anyone meaning to buy an American car this month?

Been going back and forth with a few dealers for a new Subaru Outback here.

Made in Indiana I presume. :)

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,327
    edited March 4

Passed 3,500 miles in the 2014 S4 recently. No problems to report. Still impeccable. The manual is a funny read, 70% of it consists of written warning "boxes" or bubbles that are idiot messages about how you should drive safely and drive the car without negligence. The launch control feature is excellent, and probably reduces the 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds published by Audi.

There is no launch control button specifically, but a series of commands and procedures. Turn the ESP/ESC program off, put it in dynamic mode, S-mode on the transmission, left foot brake for a couple seconds, then floor the gas for a couple seconds with the right foot. The engine will settle into a constant 3,200 RPM's or so, and you let go of the brake to rocket off, and voila!

The manual is particularly funny on the launch control instructions with the warning box saying something like "do not annoy other drivers with your loud and rapid acceleration."

This feature is only available with the amazing dual clutch 7-speed S-Tronic transmission.

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    edited April 26

Andres, nice ride!!

I'm not looking to buy this month, but by the end of summer I need to find my daughter something to drive. I'm not going to turn her lose on the roads in a 400hp 6k lb $50k truck;)

I'm not particularly looking for domestic, but am open to anything in the Civic, Corolla, Mazda 3, Cruze, Focus, class of cars. Probably won't be new though, unless I stumble upon on a super lease deal.

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,738

What's your budget and age limit for used?

• guido65guido65 Posts: 17

I am constantly finding people in other forums who honestly think Toyota/Honda are American. The first thing I ask them is where are they headquartered? Where is their stock traded? This usually gets them thinking. Then I get the response "Well they make cars here in the U.S.". No, they assemble cars here in the U.S. Big difference. People don't look deep enough. Even the parts companies that supply these foreign plants are not American. Then there is the tooling and support that assembles the vehicles. Foreign made and supported. I feel there should be a class in High school and even college showing, educating Americans on what happens when you send your money overseas. How it affects you in the long term. Less money in our economy means less money for schools, jobs, investment.. THINK ABOUT IT.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,447

@guido65 said: I am constantly finding people in other forums who honestly think Toyota/Honda are American. The first thing I ask them is where are they headquartered? Where is their stock traded? This usually gets them thinking. Then I get the response "Well they make cars here in the U.S.". No, they assemble cars here in the U.S. Big difference. People don't look deep enough. Even the parts companies that supply these foreign plants are not American. Then there is the tooling and support that assembles the vehicles. Foreign made and supported. I feel there should be a class in High school and even college showing, educating Americans on what happens when you send your money overseas. How it affects you in the long term. Less money in our economy means less money for schools, jobs, investment.. THINK ABOUT IT.

Agreed; I make sure that my German and Japanese cars are actually built in their home countries to avoid any confusion... B)

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica