Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    A northern White Castle trumps a southern Krystal burger, but a western In and Out Burger blows them both away.

Absolute truth. When I bought my farm in Minnesota, we got a kick out of them calling a burger with lettuce and tomato a California burger. As chains go I like Fuddruckers also.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    edited December 2012
    I like the roads.

I dunno, the roads pretty much suck around here, due to lack of maintenance. We seem to have caught up with the legendary bad roads up north.

While lots of people like to think southern states bought industry, getting them to locate by giving tax breaks/incentives (and, they did... No question), the real driving force was union avoidance. All the incentives did were to entice companies to locate in one southern state .vs. another southern state. The companies just shopped each state for the best payday.

Indiana and Michigan have figured that out by recently passing RTW legislation.

Just don't get me started on southern state governments, especially SC. Yes, our state couldn't afford the roughly $40 K needed to secure government websites (amount quoted per the local newspaper), but it evidently can afford the $12 million (and counting) to give every taxpayer ID protection after a hacker got in and stole all the taxpayer's SSN's that have paid taxes in any year since the 1990's.

On the bright side, our governor blamed the entire incident on the federal government by saying it wasn't a federal requirement to encrypt SSN's.

Go figure...

It's so frustrating...
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    edited December 2012
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/30/silverado-hd-touareg-v10-tdi-face-off-in-dies- - el-tug-of-war/

Gotta laugh at the Toureg TDI embarrassing a HD Silverado in a tug of war. "If I were a redneck"........

They must have been drinking the stout beer before one of the geniuses came up with that idea;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Amusing, but those aren't OEM tires, and the pickup clearly has traction issues.
    Superior design from VW. It would destroy the Chevy off road as well. The Touareg diesel is probably the most capable off road OEM vehicle on the planet. Wins the Dakar on a regular basis. Has to be a big embarrassment for the Chevy owner. I wonder how that Touareg would do against the new Dodge Ram with 800 ft lbs of torque? It has to do with getting the HP to the road.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Superior design from VW

My previous-generation Malibu seemed superior to both my wife and I than a newer Jetta. ;)
    Yeah, I just thought it was comical. A fully modern SUV has some advantages over a pickup truck when it comes to traction and suspension design.

Did you guys notice the axle wrap on the Chevy. I'm sure "Cletus" used the cheapest route to lift the suspension on his truck.
    But is the Malibu in a league with the Passat TDI? The Malibu Hybrid would be competing against the superior made in USA Passat TDI. Good matchup for the magazines.

Have you test driven the Passat or is your allegiance blind?
    I did not detect any wheel spin on the Touareg. Just grunt and go.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Means nothing when the Chevy's suspension and tires are not OEM.
    edited December 2012
    No I haven't driven a Passat...why would I have? I was talking about our rental VW (gee, on this forum one would think that only GM's were rental cars!).

Sounds like a blind allegiance to VW, to me. Quality issues there are OK to buffs, it seems though.

No need to get testy because someone has a different opinion than you...and that's all it is, an opinion, not stated as fact.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,271
    I previously posted about this over on the General Motors Fans topic, but I actually test drove a new Malibu(in order to get a $50 Macy's gift card). Needless to say, FWD mid-size family sedans are light years from my cup of tea, but I'll note that it had a very nice interior, felt solid, and drove quite well for what it was. I would say that potential non-enthusiast buyers in that segment should give it a hard look.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

edited December 2012
    I had seen that, roadburner, but not too many others who post regularly here will want to see it, I'm afraid.

I was going to take a test drive while in for routine maintenance, in a new Malibu for a pair of some-designer sunglasses, but I talked the salesman into just letting me have the glasses (they were mailed to me at a later date).

They didn't fit my big head very well so I gave them to my much younger brother-in-law ('03 Cavalier and newer Saturn Ion owner).
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,737
    Have you test driven the Passat or is your allegiance blind?

If you have two categories, the INDEPENDENT THINKERS and the BLIND FOLLOWERS, I think I can guess which category applies here. ;)
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,496
    Everything awesome about America is seen there. Lifted overcompensating bro truck with stacks, half finished cardboard 'n plywood tract house orchard, the accents, what a laugh.

Not a very well planned fight, but the truck driver agreed to it....
    edited December 2012
    You could've said, "We're all open-minded, but when somebody disagrees with us, it's time to lob the insults".

Surely you can admit that VW has had quality issues and lately.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,737
    edited December 2012
    You could've said, "We're all open-minded, but when somebody disagrees with us, it's time to lob the insults".

My definition of blind follower is somebody who will ALWAYS choose the home team even when they're not as good. I don't see that as an insult, but a statement of fact.

My definition of an independent thinker is somebody who will criticize everybody, and also praise everybody, as warranted. And will actually choose those products based upon merit. When somebody is 5 for 5 or 10 for 10 in products purchased, all from the same brand, well, do we REALLY think that in every case the purchased product was the best? I find that hard to believe.

VW hasn't just had quality issues lately, VW has had quality issues for decades. But they still were really nice driving cars, especially before the most recent "redesigns" to make the Passat and Jetta more "Americanized".
    Is an independent thinker, someone who will say, "The Cobalt is a POS", yet when pressed, will admit that they had never even sat in one, yet alone ridden or driven in one?

I think that person is a domestic-industry bigot.

You did not see me say "The Passat is a POS".

Therein lies a very, very distinct difference.
    edited December 2012
    Not a very well planned fight, but the truck driver agreed to it....

LOL,

I have a feeling it started with something like "My bad [non-permissible content removed] Silverado will pull the farfegnugen right out of your peace of crap import" while he was sucking down Budweiser;)
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,271
    But they still were really nice driving cars, especially before the most recent "redesigns" to make the Passat and Jetta more "Americanized".

Yes, what a great idea, restyle and re-engineer the Jetta and Passat for so-called "American" tastes. Exactly what I DON'T want...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica