Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,349
    I know a guy (not well) who has a 1950 Pontiac two-door fastback bodystyle (whatever they called it), with a similar hood ornament. I think that ornament is awesome.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    I was corrected on that by someone on Rocky's FB page. Thank goodness it is not the GC.
    That hood ornament would look good on any number of cars. Sadly I was a poor lad that could not afford to even buy a rag top for my 1947 Pontiac. Drove it a year with no top. Put a tarp over it when it rained.
    Was the Daytona ever sold in the USA? Or was that the Stude Lark sold here? I sold my 1955 Studebaker two door hardtop about 1962 and got into off road vehicles. That is one of about 3 vehicles I have owned I wish I still had.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    In the 1970s Philadelphia had:

3 - NBC
    6 - ABC
    10 - CBS
    12 - PBS
    17 - Independent
    29 - Independent
    48 - Independent

In 1975, my Dad bought a thing called a rotor for the roof antenna. Using the rotor to aim the antenna, we were able to pull in the New York channels and a few from Lancaster, Reading, and even NE Pennsylvania! We kids thought it was absolutely awesome getting all those extra channels!
    My American-made Zenith console TV just died after 27 years. The On/Off switch broke and the set won't come on, but it still delivered a phenomenal picture until then. Sad I can't find the part anywhere. I doubt very much a new LED TV will last that long.
    I believe Jaguar was originally called "SS Cars."
    Yeesh - if an Impala spec'd out to my standards is $38K, I might as well get that loaded Buick LaCrosse CXS for my wife instead and just get another hooptie for myself.
    edited February 2013
    I wonder why my wife who is 100% Irish doesn't get upset about the teams being named the Boston Celtics or Notre Dame's "Fightin' Irish?"
    Was the Daytona ever sold in the USA? Or was that the Stude Lark sold here? I sold my 1955 Studebaker two door hardtop about 1962 and got into off road vehicles. That is one of about 3 vehicles I have owned I wish I still had.

It was called "Lark Daytona" in '62 and '63--the upper-scale Lark hardtop and convertible. They dropped the "Lark" in '64-66, but it was still basically a Lark.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    I wonder why my wife who is 100% Irish doesn't get upset about the teams being named the Boston Celtics or Notre Dame's "Fightin' Irish?"

Because those aren't derogatory terms or mascots.

Call them the Boston Paddies or have their mascot dress up in blue collar clothes and have him walk around with a potato in one hand and a beer in the other you'd get backlash.

I think most of the issues have more to do with the logos and cheers. Perhaps to us non natives, but I can see when one is characterized by:

Heck - the Golden State Warriors dumped the Indian themed logos over 40 years ago. Why can't other teams?
    edited February 2013
    I can't see how the Notre Dame mascot would be considered complimentary to Irish folks. I'm not complaining; I think political correctness has run amok though.

I forgot to mention this...on the way to the Auto Show yesterday, on I-480, I passed a current-iteration Mopar minivan with a Marine Corps mural painted on it, and "World War II Veteran" written near the mural. I was pretty impressed. Hadn't seen anything like that before. I should've honked and waved.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Jeep might sell some Chief Wahoo trimmed Cherokees to folks in Cleveland but I think most would fit it a bit offensive.

The Washington football team has a pretty disgusting history of discrimination themselves.

But the weekend if over so enough digressing eh?

Anyone tire-kicking or going to an autoshow?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited February 2013
    How 'bout Washington Rednecks? ;)

Honey Boo Boo could be the mascot. Instead of burgundy and gold let's just dip the uniforms in mud.

I wish them luck convincing Danny.

The Hogettes used to be sponsored by a Ford dealer, to get back to cars.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,447
    Every Native American mascot isn't found to be offensive to the population represented by the mascot.

Florida State is one.

Read more below, if interested...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_mascot_controversy

For Uplanderguy, a few posts back...

IIRC, the late 40/early 50's GM "fastback" body styles were called "torpedo" body styles...
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    Every Native American mascot isn't found to be offensive to the population represented by the mascot.

Florida State is one.

I've known that the Florida Seminole tribe has approved of Florida State's use of the name as well as others. But the NCAA continues to work towards eliminating team names and mascots that they consider offensive to Native Americans and they still maintain some sort of banned list of schools that still do use them.

Many of the names go back decades and as such hold great history. But you'd never see a team starting today to use such names. Even when names are changed, it doesn't take long for the old name to be forgotten. Heck, even the Washington Bullets had the sense to rename themselves and when the Sonics moved to OKC, they eschewed the favored OKC Tornadoes in favor of Thunder in order to avoid insensitivity.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited February 2013
    FSU's song and the chopping motion from the fans is just annoying. Would love to see them do away with those.

Maybe it's because I'm a Terps fan. ;)
    FSU's song and the chopping motion from the fans is just annoying. Would love to see them do away with those.

The song and the chop, or the song, chop and fans?

Sorry, I couldn't resist... LOL!
    But you'd never see a team starting today to use such names. Even when names are changed, it doesn't take long for the old name to be forgotten.

Well there are folks that don't even like teams being named after animals.

Just like car makes and models, its always fairly easy to find someone who doesn't like the given name.

I think some people are always looking for some reason to be offended.
    Funny how the meaning of things change over the years, and the significance those changes can have on our society ...

Remember the cartoon TV show "The Flintstones"?

Each show opened with them in their car, going to a drive-in movie. If you're under 25 and reading this, ask your parents what a drive-in movie was.

How about the theme song lyrics? Check out the last verse of the theme song below...

When you're with the Flintstones
    you'll have a yabba dabba doo time.
    A dabba doo time.
    You'll have a gay old time.

Who thinks the last line in that verse would be written today?