Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• I *think* the #1 vehicle for domestic content right now is the Ford F-150 having dethroned the Camry recently. How/why----gee, I dunno.......
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,698
    The NASA budget is chintzy, miserly, way underfunded. It's .8% of the Federal budget, and is being cut annually (and again for next year).

When someone lands on Mars, they probably won't be Americans.

We can't even launch a human into space anymore.

You're preaching to the choir on that one. NASA's current decline is indicative of the rest of the country.

But that is the reason I don't like supporting failed companies. Tesla is American, and yet GM is becoming much less so. The foreign transplants are becoming more so all the time. Many of the foreign vehicles are designed in the US as well as being built here. They even have local management. OK, corporate HQ is in another company. So what? Most of the economic benefit is right here on our soil.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    Businesspeople do long term planning? That doesn't seem to be a skill of the modern exec/cloned MBA dope.

I haven't seen any credible analysis stating there is anything really new with subprime car loans, nor a looming disaster - because cars are a completely different and uncomparable type of good compared to what passes for residential housing in the US.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,000
    edited November 2013
    I'm trying to figure out how GM thinks getting more Chinese is going to help them move up in the reliability charts versus the Japanese products? It seems like not a week or two go by before there is another Chinese quality debacle. If you're lucky it's just a defect, but sometimes it is something that can harm or kill you, or something in the environment around you. No thanks.
  • Americans just can't put the 2 and 2 together. As Americans complain about not finding good paying jobs, or jobs at all. Yet we continue to purchase foreign goods and services?? Watch a show called "Death by China", it is on Netflix right now. I believe every American should watch this. Americans need to think long term. When you purchase foreign it damages our economy long term. Takes money out of our system, takes money offshore for investment, taxes, payroll, and more. Our education system needs to educate our next generations on what it means to them to keep our wealth closer to home.
  • That film is pretty crude and heavy handed. It's certainly a one-sided polemic that is short on analysis and long on propaganda. It's rather hysterical--sort of a Michael Moore film in reverse.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    The workers all looked happier than the average UAW worker.
  • That wouldn't be hard!
    Not all UAW members are disgruntled auto workers. Seems the TAs doing all the work for over paid professors are not happy with their UAW contract. Time to strike and shut down the University system in CA.

A union representing student workers throughout the UC system has authorized its members to go on strike following a unionwide vote that passed with 96 percent support. United Auto Workers Local 2865 includes 12,000 teaching assistants, graduate student teachers and readers who now have the authority to strike in protest of alleged intimidation tactics used by the UC administration.

The vote comes a week after the union’s no-strike clause expired in its contracts with the University of California. UAW has expressed support for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees 3299 workers, who plan to strike at UC campuses on Nov. 20. UAW may join them in solidarity.

http://ucsdguardian.org/?p=15934
  • The Byzantine complexities of academia are almost beyond belief.
    It is harder to get a professorship in some Universities than to get elected President of the USA. In CA universities it is worth the effort.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661

One thing that should be eliminated from all teachers is the concept of tenure...just because you have managed to stay somewhere for 5 years does not guarantee you not to be fired...

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,907

Not just for teachers, but for the usually oversalaried and overpensioned public sector "professional" ranks in general. I have a friend who works for a local city...he says once you've been there 5 years, it'd take a catastrophe for you to be let go.

@marsha7 said: One thing that should be eliminated from all teachers is the concept of tenure...just because you have managed to stay somewhere for 5 years does not guarantee you not to be fired...

fintail

I am with you...eliminate tenure for anybody...nobody should have a guaranteed job simply because they managed to stay out of trouble for X amount of time

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,643

The U.S. Army top brass isn't going to like that! :)

Oh, well...:):):)

• berriberri Posts: 4,000

I'm also leery of tenure type situations. However, OTOH you also need to be careful of penalizing a teacher in a given year when they were stuck with dumb students, or students who have the attached baggage of poor parenting. I mean this may not be politically correct, but it's a truism sometimes unfortunately. I still think the answer is bringing schools back to their 50/60's roots were they were local. Get state and federal noses out of it. It will be cheaper with better performance. I mean look at all the additional levels of staff and administrators that higher gov involvement has saddled our school systems with. That costs money and all the resultant bureaucratic reports take attention off of the students and community served. Our schools excelled back in those decades because schools were primarily part of the local community and political correctness didn't preclude discipline and academic performance. The bell curve says most students should get a "C", higher level gov has inflated that with bad consequences when the students get to the college level. Back in the day, school district performance differences affected local property values and resale ability - you bet parents took it seriously.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,949

Anyone meaning to buy an American car this month?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702

@Stever@Edmunds said: Anyone meaning to buy an American car this month?

Most likely within the next month: February only has 6 days left.

This message has been approved.