Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012

Yeah, but the weather in much of the country has hammered sales, and the end of the month quotas are approaching. Better go hit the dealers. B)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,301

Probably not going to buy anything, but odds are that if I did it would be either German or Italian. A Fiesta ST would be a long shot, especially since none of the local Ford dealers hire service techs with opposable thumbs.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    edited February 24

@Stever@Edmunds said: Anyone meaning to buy an American car this month?

Been going back and forth with a few dealers for a new Subaru Outback here.

Made in Indiana I presume. :)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    edited March 4

Passed 3,500 miles in the 2014 S4 recently. No problems to report. Still impeccable. The manual is a funny read, 70% of it consists of written warning "boxes" or bubbles that are idiot messages about how you should drive safely and drive the car without negligence. The launch control feature is excellent, and probably reduces the 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds published by Audi.

There is no launch control button specifically, but a series of commands and procedures. Turn the ESP/ESC program off, put it in dynamic mode, S-mode on the transmission, left foot brake for a couple seconds, then floor the gas for a couple seconds with the right foot. The engine will settle into a constant 3,200 RPM's or so, and you let go of the brake to rocket off, and voila!

The manual is particularly funny on the launch control instructions with the warning box saying something like "do not annoy other drivers with your loud and rapid acceleration."

This feature is only available with the amazing dual clutch 7-speed S-Tronic transmission.

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    edited April 26

Andres, nice ride!!

I'm not looking to buy this month, but by the end of summer I need to find my daughter something to drive. I'm not going to turn her lose on the roads in a 400hp 6k lb $50k truck;)

I'm not particularly looking for domestic, but am open to anything in the Civic, Corolla, Mazda 3, Cruze, Focus, class of cars. Probably won't be new though, unless I stumble upon on a super lease deal.

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,733

What's your budget and age limit for used?

• guido65guido65 Posts: 17

I am constantly finding people in other forums who honestly think Toyota/Honda are American. The first thing I ask them is where are they headquartered? Where is their stock traded? This usually gets them thinking. Then I get the response "Well they make cars here in the U.S.". No, they assemble cars here in the U.S. Big difference. People don't look deep enough. Even the parts companies that supply these foreign plants are not American. Then there is the tooling and support that assembles the vehicles. Foreign made and supported. I feel there should be a class in High school and even college showing, educating Americans on what happens when you send your money overseas. How it affects you in the long term. Less money in our economy means less money for schools, jobs, investment.. THINK ABOUT IT.

@guido65 said: I am constantly finding people in other forums who honestly think Toyota/Honda are American. The first thing I ask them is where are they headquartered? Where is their stock traded? This usually gets them thinking. Then I get the response "Well they make cars here in the U.S.". No, they assemble cars here in the U.S. Big difference. People don't look deep enough. Even the parts companies that supply these foreign plants are not American. Then there is the tooling and support that assembles the vehicles. Foreign made and supported. I feel there should be a class in High school and even college showing, educating Americans on what happens when you send your money overseas. How it affects you in the long term. Less money in our economy means less money for schools, jobs, investment.. THINK ABOUT IT.

Agreed; I make sure that my German and Japanese cars are actually built in their home countries to avoid any confusion... B)

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,737

@guido65 said: I am constantly finding people in other forums who honestly think Toyota/Honda are American. The first thing I ask them is where are they headquartered? Where is their stock traded? This usually gets them thinking. Then I get the response "Well they make cars here in the U.S.". No, they assemble cars here in the U.S. Big difference. People don't look deep enough. Even the parts companies that supply these foreign plants are not American. Then there is the tooling and support that assembles the vehicles. Foreign made and supported. I feel there should be a class in High school and even college showing, educating Americans on what happens when you send your money overseas. How it affects you in the long term. Less money in our economy means less money for schools, jobs, investment.. THINK ABOUT IT.

Well, that's pretty simplistic. Fact is that none of these companies are totally aligned to any country. The measure of "domestic content" (which of course also includes Canada which is ridiculous) does include the total value of the assembly and manufacturing. Many of the Japanese company engines, for example, are made in the USA, not just assembled. But of course many of the US nameplate transmissions or engines are made outside the USA, too. As far as I know, GM is the only seller of cars in the US to have sold a car with a Chinese-made engine, as well.

You also have to look at the entire value chain. If the profit margin is say, 10% on a car, then that means at most 10% of the purchase price goes back to the parent HQ. The rest goes to the local manufacturer, employees, marketing, distribution, services, dealers, etc. - all located in the country of sale. You also need to look at where the taxes go - if Toyota actually MAKES money in the US, then they pay US taxes. If GM LOSES money in the US, then they don't pay those same taxes. And of course GM also has been given a big tax break for many years due to the sweet deal they got with the US government during BK.

So IMHO your statements are a bit simplistic. Look at the big picture. Also, look at what you would be driving if there was not the wonderful diversity of competition in this industry. Think about your internet ISP or TV providers and how little choice you have there, and therefore the high prices and low quality of service are the result.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited April 28

Think about your internet ISP or TV providers and how little choice you have there, and therefore the high prices and low quality of service are the result.

Ta carry this pup a little further I would like to walk out on a limb and just state how happy I am with CenturyLink service, which supplies my high-speed internet connection service and my DirecTV. Even comparing DirecTV with Dish network makes me glad I have DirecTV service and their fantastic remote. I look at the way we can use the Genie to record shows, reverse them backwards if you recorded the show out ahead and wanted to see something at the beginning you missed, the wonderful "info" button that allows one to see who the actors and actresses are, what year the flick was made, and on and on and on.

Also, through DirecTV I don't miss any of my Seahawk games with NFL Sunday Ticket. Ya gotta love those apples. All of this costs me about $4 a day. That is for my DirecTV and high-speed internet. To me that's easily worth it, I have a deal where I get Showtime and Encore Movie-packaged (25 of 'em) channels. Now, I could see a lot of people not wanting to play this game, but I just find it worth every penny about 1/2-way through the month.

A bit of a sequeway, I agree, just wanted ta jump on this like a hungry lion. B)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• berriberri Posts: 4,141

But is it one of those 1 or 2 year promotional things where afterwards the rate skyrockets and you have to switch providers again? Cable and satellite price increases continue to move way faster than inflation or the general economy. Now with all these mergers and consolidations it will only get worse. Same thing is happening with the programming content providers. Lack of competition and getting even more that way.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    edited April 28

I remember learning that the parts content percentage did not include location of assembly of engine and trans. This was spelled out on the GM Monroney label, at least as of a couple years ago. I must assume the rest of the industry is the same.

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173

So, um...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-may-move-its-us-headquarters-to-texas.html

I challenge you or anyone to walk into this new facility and tell them they are not American...

Good luck with that one.

lol, I have visions of Texas (finally) succeeding from the union. (texassecede.com/)

@anythngbutgm said:

So, um...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-may-move-its-us-headquarters-to-texas.html

I challenge you or anyone to walk into this new facility and tell them they are not American...

Good luck with that one.

Exactly. When I was thinking about buying a Fiesta ST or a 500 Abarth I noted that both cars are built in Mexico but that the Abarth has more US content because the engine in built at Chrysler’s engine plant in Dundee, Michigan.

So, which car would be the most "patriotic" purchase?

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited April 28

But is it one of those 1 or 2 year promotional things where afterwards the rate skyrockets and you have to switch providers again?

berri - kind of. I have to call a bit before 6 months (every 6 months) is up or it goes up about $50 a month. That's why I say I could understand it if anyone didn't want to play in this kind of sandbox. But I'll be there next Seahawk season with my $224 signing up for another glorious Seahawk season!

Kind of pricey. It's $120 a month for my high-speed internet and DirecTV package combined. To me it's worth every penny. I must call every 6 months, though, to renew the promotion, seems really goofy ta me but they don't mind doing it. My wife watches TV a lot and I do somewhat...I surf for literally hours per day. When I'm off work, that is. :p

Suppose I should heed stever's call from afar ta get this ship righted and back on track and miss that large iceberg straight up ahead.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

edited April 29

Friend of mine went from Abilene area to Dallas yesterday on the Interstate and got stuck behind an accident. Took him 3 hours to go 50 feet. He winters there to be near his elderly parents and hates it.

But at least he was stuck in an American made Ford Expedition. B)

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    edited April 30

@MrShift@Edmunds said: Great. Where do I send my check to make this happen? Can we do it tomorrow?

Stever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,161 April 28 lol, I have visions of Texas (finally) succeeding from the union. (texassecede.com/)

Why this hating Texas thing?