Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Body Accessories

53jinx53jinx Posts: 6
I have a 05 Tacoma that I love. One of my favorite features are the D-Rings that are installed in the back of the bed. I have been looking for information about installing two more tie downs in the front of the bed but haven't had much luck finding any info.

I talked to the dealer and they recommended putting them on the side wall near the front. The only problem is they need to be reinforced due to the fact they are not attached to the frame or anything else.

I talked with a 4x4 outfitter and they recommended removing the washer under the bolts that attach the bed to the frame and adding a steel tab that I could attach the hooks to.

I just wanted to see if any one has had any experience with this sort of project.

Comments

• I've searched, and can't find this topic...

I bought a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab yesterday. It's pristine except for a few items. One of the issues is yellowed headlight lenses. I've seen this on a lot of American vehicles, but this is the first on a Japanese one! Can I somehow remove the lenses and polish out the yellow, or do I just need to pony up and buy the black headlight kit? It would look nice, but isn't in the budget right now...
  • That yellow haze is usually on the outside of the lens. I've had some success with "Lexan" which is available at most auto parts stores. It will remove haze and minor scratches from most plexiglass and plastic items such as bug shields, head lamp lenses etc..

Good luck.
  • Thanks, ftoften! I'll give that a look-see. I was afraid it was on the inside, and I was trying to figure out how I was going to get rid of that...

Funny that the stuff you mention is called "Lexan", though. Lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate!
  • dudleydudley Posts: 9
    I put them on my 05 Taco - 3" up from the bed and 3" back from the front portion of the bed - on the wheel well side, I have a 4"x4" 1/8" piece of aluminum as a backer plate -- it works fine -- when I bought the rings ($50) they did not come with the nuts -- it is a real hassle getting the nuts that fit - Toyota Dealer was very lazy about the two nuts I needed -- make sure you have the nuts before you leave with he d-rings
  • 53jinx53jinx Posts: 6
    The dealer didn't have the whole tie down kits on them when I was there, so I just got the D-rings with the nuts, but no backing plate. I was just wondering if you have had any problems with heavy loads (motorcycles, ATV's)?
  • 53jinx53jinx Posts: 6
    Upon further inspection the d-rings did not come with the nuts, however I quickly found them at home depot for 12 cents each. I went to a local sheet metal joint and they hooked me up the two pieces of 4 x 4 x 1/8 aluminum with a perfect 7/16 hole in the center for the bolt. After drilling the holes in the bed the rest was a breeze.
  • msibillemsibille Posts: 275
    If you buy the proper Toyota accessory D-Rings (not replacements for the original ones bolted to the rear of the bed, but the DRings intended for the front) they come with a combination backing plate and nut, and easy to follow instructions.

I bought them for about $40 online.

I would suggest using the ones intended for the application as it makes life simple, and apparently they cost no more (or less?) than the replacement (rear) pair.
  • Just saw your post and was wondering Where you bought the D-Rings, as Toyota says they have NON for the front area.
    Where online did you buy them and what are they called, so I can order them. By the way, Toyota tells me if I drill through the bed, it voids my warranty...isn't that nice :mad:
    Let me know...thanks,
    When you say "Toyota says..." do you mean the dealership?

D-Ring p/n
    PT785-35054 - D - Rings, QTY: 1.00 @ $18.40 = $18.40
    I also ordered with
    PT785-35051 - Mini Tie-Downs, QTY: 1.00 @ $27.60 = $27.60

which is why I remembered the ~$40 number.

these are toyota parts, that come with a Toyota instruction sheet, that tells you to drill the hole, how big, and where.

See the following link:

http://www21.overture.com/d/sr/?xargs=15KPjg1nhS6pXyl%5FruNLbXU6TFhUBIy9TrtpouXt- M9AYYBrW00D6M7P%5F%2DdyoEhErJ4jmrXxfeJ%5F6IWKffl2K%5FcBH3WBl6IHuD%2D2ozBz4w6IPes- WKc29cdYz%2DvsmPVPSH0CZHjodNLurt7qIdbxSQtJj44HuBmPp%5Fxu15S7xfFCHbvY0FJx7QHZeMVf- qf902NqdJCIyeqJFP52emyOAL5FBy8JyjuSmICERKj3i6TFZ7hDVZm8Q6PaiJspY7eGzyN7af6Lwnc8d- Zl3%5FxsF1oROW3y%2DQyKtTBg%2E%2E&yargs=www.toyotapart.com
  • Yep...When I went to the dealer and made the inquiry about the D-Rings for the front, they indicated there was No application for D-Rings for the front of the bed.
    When I asked about buying another set as the rear and installing them with a backing for the front, they (the Dealer) told me that ANY tampering or drilling of the bed liner would void the warranty on the bed liner.
    I'll take a look at your link...if this is a Toyota product, then "maybe" not all dealers know about the product their selling?? :P Thank you, Ed
  • Hello out there- I recently purchased an '05 double cab tacoma and was wondering if anyone knows of a good website to purchase some nerf bars; preferably black. Thanks
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    I would suggest Westins. They are a very good product.
    Google Westin and you should find any number of dealers...
  • I'll give that website a look-thanks again.
  • I have black Westin Tube Steps on my '05 double cab. I got 'em from a seller on Ebay.

You can see 'em on my truck here

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238

:)
  • Hi Ed,

I had the same experience when I asked my dealer. He said that it could not be done because of the new composite bed. I have learned to trust no one though, so I am curious what you found out.

Ken
    As I said earlier-

these are toyota parts, that come with a Toyota instruction sheet, that tells you to drill the hole, how big, and where.

See the following link:

http://www21.overture.com/d/sr/?xargs=15KPjg1nhS6pXyl%5FruNLbXU6TFhUBIy9TrtpouXt- - M9AYYBrW00D6M7P%5F%2DdyoEhErJ4jmrXxfeJ%5F6IWKffl2K%5FcBH3WBl6IHuD%2D2ozBz4w6IPes- - WKc29cdYz%2DvsmPVPSH0CZHjodNLurt7qIdbxSQtJj44HuBmPp%5Fxu15S7xfFCHbvY0FJx7QHZeMVf- - qf902NqdJCIyeqJFP52emyOAL5FBy8JyjuSmICERKj3i6TFZ7hDVZm8Q6PaiJspY7eGzyN7af6Lwnc8d- - Zl3%5FxsF1oROW3y%2DQyKtTBg%2E%2E&yargs=www.toyotapart.com

Not to be confused with a Toyota dealer salesperson, svc writer, or mechanic who hasn't done their homework, and therefore is unfamiliar with the product.
  • Thanks. I tried to use that link and could not get it to work. If I go to the toyotapart.com site, what do I search for? I tried, d anchor, tie down, bed tie down, tie and even just "bed" and came up with no matches. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Ken
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,509
    Try this link for "cargo tie down rings."

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ogre01ogre01 Posts: 15
    Damn pb2themax, you have some seriously nice mods happening to your truck. It looks pretty cool. Keep up the good work and pictures. Would you be able to provide more info on how you installed the interior plugs? I like what you did, looks pretty factory. How are your Westin Nerfs keeping up? I was thinking about some Nasta but aren't really familiar enough to know which will hold up over time (in terms of not rusting).
  • That worked! Thanks. I am heading over to show the dealer in a few minutes. This should be interesting
  • I installed the front D rings the week I bought my 2005, don't get to wrapped-up in the measurements for the placements (that come with the D ring instructions). If you look under the truck at the back side of the bed 1" one way or another is not a big deal.
    The instructions have you measuring down to the mm and there is no wiring or lines in the area.
    But be safe and look first.
  • The dealer was surprised to say the least.
  • Has anyone installed the front D-Rings on a SB DC? The directions show a LB, and I know it says to do the same for a SB, but I was looking at my truck last night and the area I would be putting them is right into the wheel well. In the picture on the istructions it shows putting them forward of the wheel well.

I just want to make sure it's do-able on a SB DC before I order the parts.
    Yes.

Same position from front wall of bed and floor.

Instructions text says:
    "NOTE: Illustration is for long bed,D-cab short
    bed uses the same process."

What they are saying is to ignore the details of the pictorial and follow the instructions and dimensions.

I installed mine, per instructions, months ago and am very pleased with result.
  • The Westin Tube steps are great. Easy install. Click on my name and send me an e-mail. I've got more info and lots more mods.
  • I'm looking for a full size four door pick up truck with a seat belt in the rear center position. Does anyone know if they make one and if so what make/model/year.
    Your posting is SO not in the right place.

This topic deals w/ remedying headlights that have acquired a yellow haze.

Try one of the general forums, or a particular brand/model under the generalized topics like Tacoma 2005+.

However, a more direct answer would be for you to look at mfr's literature, either in the real world or online.
    Most, like toyota's website, will provide you w/ all the data you could want regarding safety equipment like seat belts. The articles about trucks on Edmunds.com will also.

FWIW, the Tacoma does have a middle position seat belt in the rear of the double cab. (Tacoma is not a "full size" truck, but this is where you posted.) I would expect almost all 4 door full size trucks to have 3 seating positions in the rear, therefore middle seat belts.
  • smittycsmittyc Posts: 2
    I've used Meguiar's Scratch-X, with very good results. Once you get them cleaned up, do them at each oil change. I use an old white athletic sock (you use it like a mitten)to apply and remove it.