Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Chevrolet Aveo

Comments

• >>I clearly stated that is the 2007 model.
    Well, no, you showed a picture and then said the '07 model is based on the old chassis, so I figured maybe it was an older picture of an Aveo from a different market.

Anyway, it was my understanding that European crash tests are not as strict for side impact, which is what I was referring to. I have no doubt the Fit will get a good score in the frontal crash test. I want to see how it stacks up against the other subcompacts. It should hopefully come out on top.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    Looked at a new Aveo sedan (2007), it's nice inside. But I wouldn't buy one after the Euroncap test.

They also posted a test of the Aveo harchback recently - 3 stars, to the new sedan's 1.5 stars. Weird, isn't it? (note, my g/f just totalled our 2004 Aveo, and all 3 stars worked quite well, although without side airbags, I'm sure it would have done much worse in the test.)
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Posts: 110
    The previous style Aveo sedan (2006 and prior) has never been offset crash tested...
    It was "full-frontal" tested by the NHTSA and got a good rating, but that test is so weak, my bicycle could pass it.
    The offset test is a much better reflection of real world collisions. IIHS will be doing their own offset crash test of the 2007 Aveo soon. Unless GM has suddenly grown a conscience and has been able to quickly reinforce the old gen unibody, the IIHS test will likely result in the same poor results.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    Actually, Euroncap crash tested a same as previous style but new for 2007 Aveo hatch (which I would assume would get the same score as a Sedan), and it got 3 stars.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    quick look inside shows great improvement. I never did like the look of the sedan and the new one looks like a lame attempt to make the car look more "Chevy". Front end clip is way too heavy for that size car.

Interior improvements on the existing hatch would go a long way to bettering that car but I don't think that's happening this year--- right?

Haven't driven the car but understand that most "improvements" are cosmetic.
  • wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    Haven't seen one "in the flesh", but from photos, I really HATE the rear end. Trying too hard to be a baby Malibu/Impala as though that were the look to go for!

The designers should have gone for an edgier design like an Acura TL, Civic or the new Mercury Milan rear treatment.

I hear that it's got a wider track for better steering and handling, but other than that, it is the same powertrain and chassis plus 100 or so extra pounds.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Bad crash test results and not great gas mileage for being so small. Same highway mileage with automatic as the much larger 4 cylinder Malibu and much worse mileage than the Civic and Corolla that are both a size class larger.

Only thing going for it is that is seems to be the only subcompact other than the Honda Fit that's available with cruise control.
    No cruise available on Accent, Rio, Yaris etc..
    I think it'll actually sell pretty well due to the pricing and an interior that looks to be a cut above the others. I doubt buyers will be forced to pay MSRP like the Yaris, Fit, Rabbit and Versa.

I watched the webcast video the other day, and it sounds like they retuned the suspension quite a bit, which for me is the biggest disappointment with the earlier models.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Once production on the Versa ramps up and there is good supply, I'm sure discounting will start since the styling is pretty ugly. Fit has more going for it other than it is already an old design than can't match the mileage of the new Civic.
    Fuel economy on the VW Rabbit is obnoxiously poor for an econocar. People who get the new Rabbit will get it because they prefer the way it drives to cars like the Yaris or Aveo and don't care about fuel economy or will not think about the fuel economy until after they have already driven the car off the dealers lot.
    So the Aveo's competitors have their own problems, but dangerous crash test results and so-so mpg in a tiny car put the Aveo in the lower half of even it's mediocre competition.
  • How do the Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio compare to the Aveo? Any input on how they hold up as compared to the Aveo. Just wondering due to the fact that the Accent/Rio and the Aveo hail from the same nation( South Korea ) I'm just curious if the reliability is pretty clos, or if the Aveo has a commmanding lead. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!
  • neil733neil733 Posts: 9
    GM (well, GM-Daewoo) do make a 3door, for the European market at least.
    See http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/models/kalos_3d/t0_index_0.htm

The reason for the redesign being sedan only is simple - the sedan is the biggest seller in Korea and developing markets such as China and Eastern Europe. The hatchback sells more in Western Europe. The target customers are very different - the hatchback is a second car to a stylish Western European family, the sedan is an only car for someone who dreams of owning an E-Class but can't afford it. A strong front end with a chrome grille will work for the sedan customers, but won't appeal to the Western European hatchback buyers. Hence the sedan has been redesigned for its new target markets, but the hatch remains the same. The hatch actually had a front-end restyle for Europe prior to launch - the original US-market front end would not have appealed here either (although it was used on the sedan in some European markets).
    Drove a 5 door hatch a couple of years ago. This seems more composed with big interior improvements. If I remember correctly the 5-speed in the hatch was like rowing through oatmeal. Although I don't normally like automatics on small cars this seemed more composed and pleasant.

I'd still be worried about crash-worthiness. Still can't figure out why crash tests in Europe are so much worse than the hatch.
    Gotta say the LT was much more upscale feeling. Kia had crank windows for about the same price as a fully dressed and much more attractive LT. Was really disturbed that the list price was $3K more than I paid for an Elantra five years ago. What's going on with Hyundai/Kia anyway? You can get a Honda Fit or a Nissan Versa with a lot more kit for less money than the stripper Rio.
    What's going on with Hyundai/Kia anyway? You can get a Honda Fit or a Nissan Versa with a lot more kit for less money than the stripper Rio.

I don't know where you get your figures -- Edmund's TMV for a base Rio w/destination is $11,158 and for a base Fit w/destination is $14,445.

The Fit is certainly more car, but on my planet $3300 MORE is not considered LESS MONEY.
    I wasn't in the get down and dirty mode with the Rio, simply looking at the sticker. This car had air, but no cruise and roll up windows. The sticker was within a hundred or so of the Fit. Haven't pulled up the TMV, is there a big rebate in October that wasn't there in September? When I asked a few questions of the salesman all I got was "there's not much markup in these, yadayadayada." They offered an 06.5 Optima for less than a thou. more.

Expect big discounts with all of these b-class cars if gas prices stay down-- it's 1.97 in St. Louis.
  • Really? I much preferred the Rio's ride and handling to the Aveo I just test-drove. The Rio/Accent are definitely more expensive than they were a few years ago, but they're also leaps and bounds ahead of the previous models.
    The sticker was within a hundred or so of the Fit.

If you were looking at the Rio5 hatch, it is indeed just about a hundred cheaper than a base Fit. When you mentioned "stripper Rio", I looked at the cheapest 4-door sedan which is $3000 less than the Rio5 (TMV price is only $200 less than MSRP).

Only rebates are $500 owner loyalty and $400 for college grad bonus.
    My fiance is in the market so my driving was limited. I was on this board knocking the 07 Aveo sedan as being plug ugly a few weeks ago but it seemed like a big move up in sophistication from the 05 hatch I'd driven. Still like hatches as does she so she might look at the 07.5 hatch which will (hopefully) contain the sedan's interior improvements.

No doubt that both the Rio and Accent (especially the Rio) are improvements on the previous platform.

Liked my Elantra, liked my Festiva, so Hyundai/Kia products represent two of my three favorite cars among the 30 or so I've owned. Like my Malibu Maxx better though.

If it came down to it, I'd be hesitant to actually buy an Aveo because I'm leary of Daewoo products. It does seem to be way ahead of the cars that went to Suzuki, however.

I'd also be leary of the of the Aveo's widely varying gas mileage. I average 24 with my Maxx and can easily do better than 30 on road trips. Why have an Aveo that gets the same mileage as the 'Bu?
  • The redesign of the sedan is vital for the Canadian market and also Europe. In Canada the consumer is more open to the suggestion of buying a fully loaded smaller car, as opposed to buying less loaded larger car, much like European consumers. I disagree with an earlier posting that suggests that consumers in EU will buy the AVEO as a second car and not load the AVEO with many options. Europeans will likely buy the AVEO sedan or the new 2008 hatchback as a fully loaded primary car for their daily use. The availability of options is vital for this market. In addition, many consumers in Europe as starting to move away from the 3 and 5 door hatchback style towards a estate (sedan) as their car of choice.

The new sedan allows GM to bring the Aveo upscale and the new comfort and safety features available on the sedan reflect this. A GMDAT factory in Poland has just started production of the new AVEO sedan and will soon also produce the new 2008 hatchback 3 and 5doors for the EU market.
  • There's nothing wrong with the motor in the new Aveo Sedan. It's horsepower is lower than Versa, Fit and Yaris, but the torque is produced at a much lower rpm than those other cars. Acceleration figures for the 5speed Aveo Sedan are matched to the Yaris Sedan, and only about 1 second below the Versa and Fit.

The 2007 Aveo Sedan has a completely revised suspension system and with the optional 15" wheels, the car handles nothing like the previous 2006 Aveo/Kalos Sedan. Those who doubt me - take the new Aveo Sedan for a drive. Engine noise has been greatly improved and wind noise too. The car is very stable at freeway speeds upto 150km/hr with little wind noise.