Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Volvo S80

Comments

• Do you need to carry 4-5 people often?
    If yes, - BMW 3 series is too small, if no - S80 is too big.

As I said - choose your side first, and I do not mean any offence.

For me the first step in the decision making tree is what KIND of car I need - everything else comes after that.

It does not matter, for instance, whether I get a super deal on 335i, it is just too small for my family.

And did enjoy reading your long postings, I could only wish that it would not be just cut and paste from some marketing brochure, but reflect your own impressions.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Do you need to carry 4-5 people often?
    If yes, - BMW 3 series is too small, if no - S80 is too big.

80-90% of the time, lev_berkovich it's myself, my wife, my 2 yr. old son, and my 10 month old daughter. I also plan on buying my G'Ma's 2002 Old's Aurora, which will fit 4 adults comfy and 5 in a squeeze.

As said - choose your side first, and I do not mean any offence

I guess The Volvo dealership obstacle makes the decision easier to choose my side. OTOH, that doesn't make me dislike Volvo brand or the S80. ;)

For me the first step in the decision making tree is what KIND of car I need - everything else comes after that.

Well I'm in the situation where I can be a tad more flexible, since I will have the Aurora this September. If I want a BMW or a S80, when the time comes I can do so. However the Bimmer would be more of a toy and yes it will more than likely be a sedan. OTOH a I could make a coupe work for me also if I chose to do so.

It does not matter, for instance, what kind of super deal I can get on 335i, it is just too small for my family.

Well if you can afford it, do like I'm doing and get ya a inexpensive family car, and then you can choose whatever car you's like. ;)

How big is your family ? What about a 335i sedan ? If you have 5 people in your family then perhaps yes a S80 is the best way for you to go. ;)

I also might not even get me a 335i if I can't get a decent deal on it. My dream car as a kid was a 1990' 25th Ann. Ford Mustang 7-up convertible with a 5-speed manuel. I would hop it up and probably keep it forever for my son or daughter as a heirloom. :)

And did enjoy reading your long postings, I could only wish that it would not be just cut and paste from some marketing brochure, but reflect your own impressions.

Sorry, about that. I was trying to point out that the 2006 S80, couldn't hold the 2006 STS's jockey strap in features and/or technology. :) I guess I could of just pointed out the highlights, but that would of took me a long time to accomplish. :P

Take care pal, and see ya on the boards. :blush:

Rocky
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    when he said choose a side, I'm pretty sure he meant choose a class of vehicle, not a manufacturer.

If you are looking at the 335, then why not the S60R as a competitor? It can be had for ALOT less than the 335 will AND adds AWD and adjustable suspension.

As far as the cut and paste garbage, I don't believe you picked the items exclusive to the STS. I didn't read through it all because I don't feel like taking the time, but I noticed a paragraph on AWD ... the S80 has that, too. And then a paragraph on side curtains ... uh, need I point that out on the S80?

I mean, come on, you quoted this?
    It features four-wheel disc brakes integrated with four-wheel anti-lock braking and traction control.

Good grief, I've had that on my $20k cars, as well as $40k cars.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Thank you, Rob. Having English as a second language definitely impairs my ability to get my points across accurately.

Do not be too hard on Rocky. I think he is genuinely believes in what he writes or quotes, unlike, unfortunately, many others on Edmunds forums.
    oh, i agree.

i think rocky knows he and i are "cool." Sometimes we've been on opposite sites of the fence and sometimes on the same. Its all good.

I like Volvo's and always will. The dealership obstacle for service is to much to overcome. I don't think the S80, is worth 3 hrs. of my time to drive to Lubbock from Dumas after thinking about it. I'd have to use a good portion of my lease miles for service. I don't think their are many others that would do this to own a specific car.

Rocky
    To be able to build a 2007' Volvo S80 on the Volvo Website. :)

Rocky
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=116977?tid=edm- - unds.il.home.photopanel..1.*#6

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:

Volvo. for life ;)

Rocky
    What do you think about that Edmunds article pal ?

Rocky
  • The Edmunds article is consistent with just about all other previews/first drives on the new S80, very positive, lukewarm on the engine, super on the safety and the creature comforts. I look forward to a paper/road comparison of the S80 (especially the V8) with any or all of its competitors: Infiniti M35X, Lexus GS350 AWD, Audi A6, BMW 530xi, MB E350/E550 4matic. I hope anyone who sees such a review will tell us about it here!
    If I see one, I'll post it ASAP. :)

Rocky
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Nice enough article, what I find amusing is the price description vs the Euro competitors.
    The S80 V8 will be $10,000 or more less than its European competitors. This months Car and Driver has a test between the 550i, E500 and M45.
    The 550i was $70,000 as tested!!
    The Mercedes was about $60k I believe.
    I believe what they were trying to say (but not doing it clearly) is that its competitors compete performance-wise with their smaller engines. So a V8 S80 is comparable to a 6-cylinder competitor, and therefore those are the prices you compare.

Of course, where I think this comparison fails is when you factor in AWD. There is no such thing as a BMW 550xi and the 530xi is quite a bit slower than the S80 will be. Even the M35x loses about a half second to the S80 estimates (and, like bmw, there is no AWD V8 combo in the Infiniti).

Plan to see unfair comparisons in most of the media since, when you take price and drivetrain into consideration, there are little-to-no direct competitors.

The Acura RL is about all there is, I think.

EDIT: I just reread the article ... so they do say its the Asian V6s and Euro V8s that are just as good or better ... for the same price. That's obviously incorrect. As you've pointed out, Vmax, the Euros are more expensive, and as I've just pointed out, the 6-cylinder AWD combos are not up to the performance (except the RL).

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The other thing to consider is the fact that we are going off Volvo's performance estimates, which are likely to be quite conservative.
    The XC90 V8, which is 1000 lbs heavier reaches 60mph in 6.8 sec.
    If launched properly, the S80 V8 should reach 60mph in under 6 sec.
    I figure a test with a good launch should break 6 seconds to 60. So yes I have to agree with volvomax ;)

Rocky
    Yeah, what's up with that Volvomax ? We, need to get to the bottom of this pal. A loaded out V-8 S80, would you guess mid or low $50's ????

Rocky
    You'd think we'd be able to build the sucker by now ? :cry:

Rocky
    I'm "feeling" 6.2 secs. ;)

should we start a pool?

Ya know, interesting side note about this, though. I sometimes feel like the press either can't or won't launch a volvo to its fullest potential. If you look for the tested numbers for the S70 and S60, for example, you'll find they are on the slow side. Real-world track numbers from owners (and I've seen the timeslips) have been quite a bit quicker. This is the complete opposite with what you see with just about every other car tested by the mags. Most folks can never get their cars to go that quick, mostly for fear of breaking them.

• I'd guess mid to high 50's looking at the prices of loaded options from Lexus, BMW and Infiniti. Reports are that the technology goodies will be bundled into a package, and I can't believe that will be less than $5K if they include satnav. We'll see soon enough (next month, says my dealer).
    all prices shown are base prices and I even went outside the standard competitors for a bigger sampling.

Volvo S80 AWD V8 = $50k
    Acura RL (no V8) = $49,300
    Audi A6 4.2 quattro = $55,300
    BMW 550i (no AWD) = $58,500
    Infiniti M45 (no AWD) = $49,100
    Jag S-type 4.2 (no AWD) = $55,335
    Lexus GS430 (no AWD) = $52,375
    MB E550 4matic = $61,500

Did I get them all? The only one that comes close, IMHO, is the RL, and, really, I feel like that's less of a car. Don't get me wrong, I'm an Acura fan, but the RL is pretty small for its class (which is the only reason it can get away with a V6 in a field of V8s). The Audi would have to be 2nd runner up since it offers everything the Volvo does at $5k more. Then, if you have no desire for AWD, there is always the Infiniti at about the same starting price as the Volvo.