Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• Looks appealing, a nice looking small car.

It also seems to have on the gear shift [P R N D L]. Does Nissan normally have a "L" setting instead of a number like [P R N D 2 1] or could this be indicative of perhaps a CVT?
  • vibsrvibsr Posts: 47
    Regarding looks, I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally, I hope the ride and handling is as taut as the lines are stubby. It's not working to well, folks. It will be interesting to see if a tuner is brave enough to fool around with this! :confuse:

This is how you abbreviate an Altima.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    As a Sentra owner... I'm horrified.

The front is from the 2.4L coupe concept that came out a while ago. The beltline is also from that concept, except it doesn't look as good on a sedan (at all). The rear end looks like it was pasted together at the last minute.

The car looks tall (a departure for the Sentra) and well... it looks like an Ion, in a bad way. Cheap, simple, awkward, slow.

The interior is austere and very Nissan, and I think it works.
  • Does Nissan normally have a "L" setting instead of a number like [P R N D 2 1] or could this be indicative of perhaps a CVT?

Nissan in its official announcement said the automatic on the 2007 Sentra will be a CVT unit. It will be rated at 29 mpg city, 36 mpg highway--kind of poor compared to the 30 mpg city, 40 mpg highway with the 2006 Honda Civic using the normal five-speed automatic.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    FWIW, the Civic only managed an overall 28 MPG in Consumer Reports testing. It proved quicker slightly than the previous model, but their last EX managed 29 MPG overall.

~alpha
  • Well, thank God expressions like "Different strokes for different folks" and "to each his own" exist, because I, for one, think the new 2007 Sentra looks AWESOME and a LOT better than the previous model! :blush: Not that the previous Model wasn't nice, I love it! But, the 2007 is MUCH better looking!

I think the Maxima-ish front end combined with the Altima-ish rear end works GREAT and definitely puts the Sentra back in with the family line. It's a GREAT looking car and I can't wait to see it in person and to get in it. The interior looks really nice.

I do agree that it looks a little "tall", in the likes of the Toyotas and the Saturns, but, other than that, I think Nissan NAILED it! I have been waiting anxiously to see what they were gonna come up with, since the old Sentra was WAY overdue for a redesign, and I am not disappointed one bit.

Well, yes, one bit, but it's preliminary: I read that they stuck with a torsion beam rear suspension instead of making it independent and can't understand WHY in the world they would do such a thing! But, the reviews and test drives and road tests haven't been done yet, so I'll have to wait to pass judgment until then.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    I'm thankful that someone likes the new one! Actually I can see some good angles in it now. It's still not a car for me, but I won't accuse its fans of blindness =].

But good catch on the rear suspension. We'll see... odd that they have a rear beam suspension when they went through the trouble of offering a 6spd manual transmission.
  • agalasagalas Posts: 38
    The Sentra comes with a Trip computer! Finally, I can track my MPG and turn driving into a joyous experience, an ever present challange to outdo yourself and others!

Overall I feel the Sentra front looks like a Cadilac CTS the back looks like a Maxima and it looks great overall.

The interior is spectacular, the technology, such as intelligent key and MP3 jacks and a cvt are nice and the find all the storage compartments great.

Now I only need to wait for reliability to be proven the equal of honda or toyota and I will buy the Sentra.
  • First, the interior is extraordinary. Clean, simple, sporty, but elegant. Secondly, I'm digging the exterior. I think that front design looks stretched on the Maxima, but I think it'll work on a smaller scale. The lines of the car are very nice, too. The current Sentra is so humdrum and bland. This is a car that in 10 years will still look like a solid car, and not a little runabout. I likey.
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    has been used to design this Sentra, imo. The formula is to supersize a vehicle to provide more sheetmetal for the same $, an "excellent value", just like supersized fries.

I just don't see a reason why Nissan had to take the subcompact ho-hum Sentra and make into a much larger ho-hum car, while giving it less leg room than the smaller Versa. Dumb move. I know Nissan can design very stylish cars.

As I see it, the Sentra unfortunately is destined to be a deal vehicle that won't sell without incentives. The handful of posts about this car already says YAWWWWWWN.
  • The Civic is going to have a field day with this ugly new Sentra. The Civic looks 100% better and will sell at least twice as many vehicles as this Sentra will.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    What is so ugly about this Sentra? It looks very classy and sporty, and way better than any Civic has ever been. Look at the Civic taillights, it looks a piece of them was cut off. And the interior, what's up with the split dashboard? Honda was trying to hard to get noticed, a conventional setup would have been better.

And the new Sentra's interior blows that of the Civic out of the water completely. IMO it's the best in the segment. Also, the Civic and the Sentra are pretty evenly matched in power, and the Sentra has a bigger trunk.

The Civic isn't a bad car, but I just prefer the Sentra.

In any case, only time will tell if the Sentra will be better than the Civic and the 3.
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    I agree that the new Sentra's interior looks really well done and classy, especially with the saddle leather. My only hope is that an SE-R variant with a more powerful engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a handling-oriented suspension shows up sooner rather than later. Oh, and Nissan, get with the party and start making ABS and side curtain airbags standard across the board.

I really like that keyless entry/start and Bluetooth is being made available in the Sentra...does any other car in this class have these options? Very nice way for Nissan to "push the envelope."
  • My only hope is that an SE-R variant with a more powerful engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a handling-oriented suspension shows up sooner rather than later.

I've heard that an all-new Sentra SE-R will arrive early in 2007 as a 2008 model, powered by a new 2.5-liter I-4 engine rated probably at around 180 bhp (SAE 08/04 net).
  • rennie4rennie4 Posts: 52
    The Sentra looks ten times better thatn the civic. The pictures that are on this forum just doesnt give the car justice.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    To me the car doesn;t look good from the photo's that are shown. I don;t like how they put the front end of the Maxima on the 07 Sentra. Why? A compact cars front end does not need to look like the front end of a 27K-30K(Maxima) priced car that is in the same car line-up as your compact car(Sentra.)To me the Civic Coupe and Mazda 3 look better than the 07 Sentra. The last time the Sentra had an edge on looks on the rest of the competition in the compact car class was the 87-90 model. I have to admit though I have a sweet spot for the mid 90's 200SX's which was esentially a Nissan Sentra 2-door. The car was conservative looking but it had a nice time less design to it. The 02-03 SE-R's were nice looking too. What shocks me is Ghson made the design team for the new Sentra go back and do the design over and thats the final design we see is the Altima back end and the Maxima front end that makes up the exterior design for the 07 Sentra?

I a more of a Honda and Mazda guy though so my post may have been a little bias. I don't know. Maybe just different strokes for different folks in terms of what car brands are too each individuals liking.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    As the owner of a '03 GXE, I'm very anxious to sit inside the car and see the front and rear up close. I must admit to liking the '04 and '05 version better than my '03. It'll be interesting to drive it also. We own a 3s and am very pleased with it. I also saw a new Civic this morning and it also reminded me of the 3...higher roof line and all.
    What a great time for us econobox owners as there's so much to choose from. It'll be interesting to see what Toyota does with the Corolla.

The Sandman :)
  • ...Once people see what the car really stands for it could be a quite serious competitor against Civic.

There are a number of things in Sentra's favor:

1. The car will likely sell less than the Civic.

2. The car looks roomier than the Civic interior-wise.

3. The car gets an all-new variable-valve timing I-4 engine, so the engine technologically is just as good as the R18 engine on the Civic.

4. The car offers either six-speed manual or CVT automatic transmissions, both of which are not available on non-sporting model Civics.

5. The car has some very nifty interior features, such as the very neat center console that accommodates variable size cups, a small driver-side storage bin, a huge glove compartment, rear seats that both seatbacks fold down, and an optional trunk cargo divider.

If Nissan can get decent build quality out of the Sentra they have a huge winner right there.
  • tthotatthota Posts: 45
    The engine/powertrain should be better than what's on 06 Civic. Nissan claims that 90% of its max torque (140lb-ft) will be available at 2400 rpm. So 07 Sentra will accelerate responsovely and comfortably at low speed. This is only seen in European cars, such as Audi A3, Passat 2.0, Saab 9-3 and VW Golf.

Although the side views of 07 Nissan and 06 Civic are very close, each having a too short hood, Civic has a stream line similar to 06 BMW 3 series. Of course, BMW 3 series looks more like a car. These compact Japanese cars went too far enlarging their interior spaces - they look like fat bread.
  • These compact Japanese cars went too far enlarging their interior spaces - they look like fat bread.

Yes, it does take some getting used to but this does have one huge advantage: it makes the vehicle physically smaller on the outside, which makes urban parking MUCH easier. :)
This discussion has been closed.