Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2007

Comments

• raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    One of the things that held back acceptance of CVT (besides being unable up till now to handle high-powered engines) was the fact some drivers disliked the "slipping clutch feel" of CVT's. Nissan's CVT supplier JATCO (which Nissan owns 80% interest ;) ) figured out how to program the operation of the CVT so you minimize this effect.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    There's only one thing about the '07 Sentra that I think it's lacking, at least as an option: traction control.
    And yes, I DO agree: Nissan SHOULD make ABS and side air bags standard across the board.

I really like the new Sentra's interior, though. . .especially in the "luggage" tan leather.
    Wow!
    If traction control was available I would definitely consider this machine for purchase.

Peace! :)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Just curious, why is traction control such a selling point? It barely does anything.... now, if you were talking stability control, that'd be a different story...

~alpha
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    Toyota offers a traction/stability control with the Corolla, but unfortunately models so equipped are NOT available in my neck of the woods (northeastern U.S.) -
    Ford only makes traction control available with the Focus. . .Stability control? Dream on. . .I'm not interested in Ford product, speaking for myself.
    Chrysler has the AWD Dodge Caliber, which is worth a look, with traction and stability (I believe) as an option (I'm not sure of this) with their front drive version. This will be a machine to check out, eventhough I'm NOT a Dodge person.
    GM only has traction control for its Chevy Cobalt, which I don't care for, and its upcoming Pontiac G5, which is a rebadged Cobalt coupe. These "twins" I find ok but not all that appealing.
    Honda has no tc for its Civic. . .at least not yet. 2007 models may be another story though, so it's wait and see.

I really DO like the 2007 Sentra, though. Many will disagree, calling it this or that. I don't care. I just wish there was a traction/stability control on its option list. I'd check that box! :D

Peace! :shades:
  • Does not match Honda or Toyota. I recently traded in a Nissan Altima for a Honda Fit sport. The Fit has outstanding build quality. It is made in Japan. The Sentra, as well as the Versa will be made in Mexico.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Honda manufactures (Accord, Parts, Engines, Motorcyles) in Mexico. Toyota manufactures (Vehicles, Parts) in Mexico. Nissan manufactures (Vehicles, Parts) in Mexico.

Your implication that made in Japan is inherently higher quality than made in Mexico is lacking any supporting evidence.
    What is the purpose of posting that the Fit has great quality and the Sentra will not?
  • My implication is that Japan has much higher quality than made in Mexico. If you doubt that then buy the Sentra. I will stick with "made in Japan".
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    My implication is that Japan has much higher quality than made in Mexico. If you doubt that then buy the Sentra. I will stick with "made in Japan".

"Implication" is the only thing you have done. Where is the proof? :confuse: Doubt your implication? I rely on data, not yada yada.

Manufacturer is the most important factor determining quality, not location. There are plants with quality problems, however, they exist all over the world, including Japan.
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Posts: 98
    I like the sliding, adjustable cup holder and hidden CD storage in the headliner. The trunk divider is a nice idea but may take up total storage space.
  • stshepardstshepard Posts: 12
    I currently own a 2004 SER Spec V, it's a great runnin' little car, it's peppy, although not out right fast, but it has dusted a few Civic's and Mazda 3's (didn't make the guy in the 3 very happy either - I guess he didn't see the SER Spec V badge!!!) I have about 70,000 miles on the car and I still love it, infact I like it more now than when I bought it, it's a keeper. it has a kind of basic greatness that so many cars these days lack. I'm "intrigued" by the 2007 Sentra, I like the look both inside and out, I think it would have been a hit if Nissan hadn't shown pictures of the new 2007 Altima! (that there is a fine looking car indeed!!) Other than a bad bearing I've had no problems, I'm hoping Nissan doesn't ruin the car by trying to build a baby luxury car. Keep is simple, keep it fun, and keep it reasonably priced. (this ain't rocket science people!!)
  • Rely on Consumer Reports which has Honda well above Nissan, especially the made in Japan, sorry charlie.
  • The "Spec V" is nothing more than an Altima 2.5. with better brakes and suspension and a six speed. Not high tech.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    What does your post have to do with what stshepard stated in that original post? There were no claims made that the Spec V is high tech. Most folks on these boards are well aware of what the Spec V is- 2.5L engine, enhanced suspension and brakes, 6M.

On the note of the new Sentra, which is actually the topic here anyway, it seems that Nissan has finalized HP figures, if the recent Press Release "The 2007 Nissan Lineup- Charting the Changes" is true to form.

The all-new 2007 Sentra enters its sixth generation with style, space, quality, performance and interior flexibility for active, highly social lifestyles. Built on Nissan’s new “C” platform, the all-new Sentra has a 5.9-inch longer wheelbase than the 2006 model. It is 2.3 inches longer in overall length, 3.2 inches wider and sits 4.0 inches taller for easier ingress and egress and enhanced headroom. The 2007 Sentra features an all-new 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine and standard 6-speed manual transmission or available fuel-efficient Nissan Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

Inside the spacious cabin are thoughtful and useful innovations, including a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat with a fold-flat seat back angle for better utilization of the wide trunk pass-through opening, available Divide-N-Hide hidden trunk storage compartment and available INTUNE integrated overhead compact disc holder which holds up to eight CDs. The all-new Sentra is also available with a wide range of unexpected amenities, ranging from the leather-appointed seating and Intelligent Key keyless entry system to Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System and a premium Rockford Fosgate audio system with in-dash 6-disc CD changer.

The 2007 Sentra is scheduled to go on sale in October 2006 and is expected to have a MSRP starting around $15,000 (nicely equipped with power door locks and windows, side and curtain air bags and air conditioning).

Features of the 2007 Sentra include:
    · Exterior styling consistent with the Nissan design language and offering design cues found on other distinctive Nissan products
    · A contemporary new interior design featuring a new instrument panel layout incorporating the transmission shift lever
    · An extended wheelbase of 105.7 inches, resulting in 97.4 cubic feet of passenger volume (an increase of almost 9.0 cubic feet over the previous generation)
    · Ample cargo volume of 13.1 cubic feet
    · All-new 2.0-liter DOHC 4-cylinder engine (MR20DE), with140 horsepower and 147 lb-ft of torque
    · Standard 6-speed manual transmission
    · Available advanced Nissan Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)
    · All-new Nissan “C” platform
    · Electric power steering
    · Available Intelligent Key keyless entry system and Bluetoothâ Hands-Free Phone System
    · Standard Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) (includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags with occupant classification system for the front passenger seat)
    · Standard front seat side-impact supplemental air bags for chest protection
    · Standard roof-mounted curtain side-impact air bags for front and rear outboard occupant head protection
    · Standard front seat Active Head Restraints for head and neck protection in rear impacts
    · Standard Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

With the new Civic, the reigning Mazda 3, and the impending debut of the new Sentra and Elantra, its a pretty hot segment.

~alpha
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I totally agree with your statement. Already having a '05 3s and trading in my '03 Sentra on a '06 Civic 4 weeks ago, I can truly say it's a great time to buy compacts. I never looked at the Elantra, as I knew from first seeing the Civic that I would eventually own one. I just figured it would've been an '08 or '09 model.
    With my Sentra having the Service Engine Light problems and the local Nissan service department never actually fixing the problem, just figured I'd get the most on a trade now while the light was off. We actually tossed around the idea of just swapping it out for an '06 Special Edition, but figured I didn't want the older technology for the next 4 to 5 years. And truth be told, I've always wanted a Honda product and with the small inheritance I got in March, all the ducks were in that proverbial row, so i figured why not! And I'm so happy I did!!! My friend at work is also going to sell me her EX rims within the next few months, so I'll also have the look I want.
    Ain't life great...but I'm also very thankful to the man upstairs for making this all possible. My family is all well & happy and eventhough my accident last year changed our lives a bit, I'm still truly blessed.

The Sandman :) :)
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Posts: 110

The new Sentra looks way too much like a Saturn ION (above), which may harm Sentra sales.

Nevertheless, the 2007 Sentra (above) is sure to be a much better vehicle than the ION - even being based on the European "Renault Megane II" platform. Even the French should be able to build a better sedan than the Saturn ION.

The new Sentra also resembles the Daewoo Lacetti, sold in the USA by GM as the Suzuki Forenza (above).

It's a car clone world.
    Perhaps this helps explain why the distinctive Honda Civic is selling so briskly.
    Buckle up for safety.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    Wow! Sometimes when folks post these "lookalike" photos, it takes a leap to say that they are truly similar. But these two look nearly identical.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have to disagree on that! The 2007 Sentra is much more cleanly-styled than the Ion--in fact the look of the Sentra is far more inspired by the look of the larger Altima sedan.
  • I just recently bought a 2006 Sentra SE-R Spec V. I was waiting for the 2007 to drop but to be honest I'm not impressed with the look and after talking with many Nissan Reps I was told that 2007 is not offering a SE-R or Spec V. I love the one I have but does anyone know why they would do away with it. Also I hear alot of talk about the Corolla XRS and the Mazda3 being a better puchase as far as vehicles? I have had people say I picked the wrong car. I don't think so. Does anyone else? Thanks.
  • From what I have read, the Sentra SER and Spec V will come out next spring.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Posts: 110
    Saturn ION

Suzuki Forenza

Nissan Sentra

Nissan has apparently joined the Car Clone Club.
  • However, the Nissan Sentra has far cleaner lines than the Ion, even if they have some similar looks. The Sentra probably drives better, too. :)
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    ">Nevertheless, the 2007 Sentra (above) is sure to be a much better vehicle than the ION - even being based on the European "Renault Megane II" platform. Even the French should be able to build a better sedan than the Saturn ION.

Be nice with the French :P, the Megane II sells really well in Europe and it looks nice too. And above all, all cars in EUROPE are better in build quality than American ones. See, Americans like things BIG, Europeans like them well build and stylish.
    :)
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    The 2.0L engine from the new Sentra is the same engine that is available on the European market for a Renault Megane II 2.0 16V.
    It`s never too late right? :D
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,692
    Five weeks with no posts? Hard to believe. Nissan is ramping up the marketing for the new Sentra. They have big ads in the car mags, claiming "you could live in it". And one guy did, for a week anyway. You can even build one on nissanusa.com. I priced out a 2.0S with ABS, and found out I had to get alloys plus a $650 convenience package also. Seems odd that Nissan didn't make ABS standard on the new Sentra, when that is becoming more common in this class (e.g. Civic and Elantra have it standard). The price was about $1500 more than an Elantra SE, although the Sentra has a 6-speed stick standard (although lower fuel economy than with the Elantra's 5-speed) and the convenience package includes IntelligentKey and Bluetooth according to the web site. Interior-room wise they are nearly the same. The competition between these two newest low-end midsize sedans should be interesting.
  • Anybody test drove new sentra with manual? According to reviews regarding new versa people say that manual transmission is notchy and rpms hanging when clutch is depressed while going to another gear. Anybody can comment on that with sentra. What engine revs at 120 km/h?
  • I've heard that the 2007 Sentra S and SL models will offer ABS standard.
    That's not what the "build your own Sentra" site at www.nissanusa.com shows. It shows an "ABS/alloy wheel package" for the Sentra 2.0 S, $600, which requires selection of a $650 Convenience Package also. Try it out and see for yourself. However, it does show the alloys and ABS standard on the SL, which lists for over $19k. It also appears the brakes on all models are front disc/rear drums.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I completely forgot this car existed even though I had been shopping economy cars for a few weeks.
    I just saw a Motorweek review on tv that reminded me about the Sentra.
    I have yet to see a 2007 Sentra on the road.
    My local dealer doesn't have any yet. I think they just started going on sale. But since it's been so long since the last all-new Sentra, I'm surprised there's not more buzz about it here. :surprise:
  • Two things that I read about the car which I don't like.
    The base model has rear drum brakes and they mention that ABS can be added as an option. They don't say the rear brakes will be upgraded to discs with the ABS Package. Does anybody know?

ALos this car does not have an independent rear suspension. It has a torsion bar suspension. This is a cheaper suspension than a multi link independent rear suspension and GM has been putting them on their cars for years. It is a shame that this car comes packaged this way. Does anybody know if the current 06 Sentra hasd this type of suspension or is it a cost cutting measure?
This discussion has been closed.