Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2007

Comments

• jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    The cvt has already been proven to hold up, better in fact, than traditional automatics. they've been used in the murano since it came out. as for the sales, the sentra started off slow (more likely because of the 2006 engine problems) but has been posting double digit growth the last couple months. last month it was a 24% increas over may '06.

the bueaty (and reliability) of the CVT is in its simplicity. It uses a special belt and two pullys to replace god knows how many gears and other moving parts in a standard automatic transmission. The cvt's that nissan uses aren't just some ill concieved gimmick. they spent a lot of time, and a boat load of money perfecting them. Far from dropping them, expect to see other manufactures start offering them. I know saturn and ford are putting them in some vehicles now, and most hybrid cars use some type of CVT.
  • d1699d1699 Posts: 3
    I bought the last 07 2.0S Sentra on the dealers lot before the rebate expired...unfortunately it wasn't equiped with the convenience package that included cruise. The service mgr didn't recommend aftermarket...and Nissan didn't make one available...so...has anyone had an aftermarket cruise installed...is it working okay and what brand?
    It sucks not having one available from Nissan and backed by them but it would be nice to have one on the car.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    thanks
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Nissan Sentras are not so rare of a car that you are forced to buy one that doesn't have the equipment you want on it. You should have shopped around until you found one with the convenience package or bought some other car. Even if the rebate expired, another rebate would come around again soon.

You are going to have to just live without having cruise control until you can get rid of the car.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Well, the trim and equipment levels for 2007 were in need of shuffling and Nissan has come to it's senses and shuffled. It was almost comical watching the scene playout in the midwest winters with the std. leather seats and no available seat heaters on the Sentra SL. Unfortunately, the comedy continues, however, at least the sunroof can be obtained on the S model now.

xxxxxx
    2008 Nissan Sentra and Sentra SE-R

The new, sixth generation Sentra, which debuted in 2007, offers more style, space, quality, performance and interior flexibility for active lifestyles than any previous Sentra. For 2008, Sentra adds a number of significant enhancements, including additional standard equipment and package content changes for various models.

Inside Sentra’s spacious cabin are thoughtful and useful features, including a 60/40 split double-fold rear seat, available hidden trunk storage compartment and available integrated overhead compact disc holder. The 2008 Sentra is also available with a range of unexpected amenities – ranging from the luxury of leather-appointed seating to the convenience of Nissan’s Intelligent Key keyless entry system.

The 2008 Sentra is again built on Nissan’s “C” platform and offers a standard 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine, standard 6-speed manual transmission or available fuel-efficient Nissan Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) and responsive handling.

The new Sentra SE-R, also launched in 2007, is offered in Sentra SE-R and Sentra SE-R Spec V models – both featuring sporty styling, enhanced performance, sporty styling and additional standard equipment versus non-SE-R models.

The 2008 Sentra SE-R features Nissan’s refined QR25DE 4-cylinder engine rated at 177 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque (on regular unleaded fuel), matched with an Xtronic CVT™ (Continuously Variable Transmission) with paddle shifters for smooth, sporty performance. The 6-speed manual-equipped Sentra SE-R Spec V features a high-output version of the QR25DE engine, with top end engine modifications that help it achieve 200 horsepower and 180 lb-ft of torque. Contributing to the Spec V’s outstanding performance is unique suspension tuning, larger diameter brakes and an optional Helical Limited Slip Differential.

Inside the cockpit of both Sentra SE-R models are a number of unique styling features, including sport bucket front seats with red seat stitching and embroidered SE-R seatback logos, aluminum foot pedal pads, leather-appointed steering wheel and an additional two-gauge meter pack featuring oil pressure and acceleration/deceleration g-force gauges.

Enhancements to the 2008 Sentra and Sentra SE-R include:
    - Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) standard on 2.0 S models
    - Cruise control standard on 2.0 S models
    - Moonroof Package now available on 2.0 S models
    - New charcoal interior on 2.0 S models
    - Driver-side power window with one-touch auto up/down and safety reverse feature
    - XM Satellite Radio standard on 2.0 SL models (required monthly subscription sold separately)
    - Vehicle Security System standard on 2.0 S models
    - Driver front seatback map pocket (2.0 S)
    - Spanish interface programming for trip computer
    - Standard daytime illumination (2.0, 2.0 S and 2.0 SL models)
    - Folding assist grips replace fixed assist grips
    - Standard driving/fog lights with body-color surrounds on 2.0 S and 2.0 SL models
    - Sentra 2.0 with 6MT has been discontinued
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    The 2.0 S is now a very well-equipped small car. I wonder what the MSRP will be, given all the added equipment?
    thanks jaxs1....I was looking for some advice...not some tool telling me how stupid I am. You're the exact reason why I don't bother with forums...too many people with nothing better to do than dispense useless jibberish!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Unfortunately, after-the-fact advice about what he "should" have done isn't very helpful. He's asking if cruise control can be installed aftermarket. Do you know, or does anyone else know?

Let's skip the lectures. :)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    You may have a Rostra aftermarket cruise installed on your Sentra. I recommend having a independent shop that specializes in automotive electronics install the cruise control.
    The Nissan dealer service dept. will have little if any experience installing this unit.
    If you live in a fairly populous area you should not have a problem finding an installer for Rostra cruise control. They are commonly installed on entry level Toyota, Hyundai, Chevrolet and Scion vehicles that are not equipped with factory cruise.

2007 NISSAN SENTRA

CRUISE CONTROL
    250-1223

Control Lever: 250-3742
    Adapter: 250-4378 / TECH INFO
    VEHICLE NOTES: ALL WIRING AND INSTALLATION INFOMATION IS PROVIDED IN 250-4378 ADAPTER PACKAGE
    Thanks Moparbad...I did find a local installer who's had experience with these and came highly recommended...and I do believe it's a Rostra unit.
    Thanks again!!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let us know how it turns out!
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    No iPod connectivity using the iPod data port connector. :( That would not only allow the car stereo to control the iPod but also charge the player at the same time.
  • nmt001nmt001 Posts: 124
    I have the 2007 Sentra for about 7 months. I'm satisfied with with everything EXEPT the rough ride. I didn't test drive it thorough enough, like going to roads with rough surface. Soon I found out the the ride on rough road surface is very uncomfortable. Even my passengers comments that the ride is too rough. Then I found out that instead of having rear independent suspension, the 2007 Sentra has torsion beam suspension which is cheaper and not as good in dampening vibration due to rough road surface. Furthermore, the car came with Bridgestone tires which people say are made by Firestone.
    I had a 98 Toyota Corolla before with Firestone tires and the same rough ride problem. After one of the Firestone tires burst on a pothole, I changed all four tires into a medium price brand and the ride became so smooth that it felt like the Corolla had a new and better suspension.
    I asked the Nissan dealer if some 2007 Sentra are sold with tires other than Bridgestone. They told me they are sold with Bridgestone tires only.
    I am not sure if changing the Bridgestone tires in my car will improve the smoothness of the ride like changing the Firestone tires before.
    I will appreciate it if any owners of 2007 Sentra have answers for the following questions:
    1/Did any owners buy the car with tires of another brand that is not Bridgestone or Firestone?
    2/ Do any owners experience the same rough ride problem and what is brand name of their tires?
    3/ Do any owners have acceptable smooth ride and what is the brand name of their tires?
    Thank you
  • btbosbtbos Posts: 2
    HI
    Is remote keyless entry something that can be installed after market on a 2.O 2007 Sentra?
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    My 2.0. S has the Bridgestone tires and the ride is great at 32 PSI. Anything over 38 is too much and causes a harsher ride.
    Thank you very much for your advice. I checked the tire pressure and found that it was 36 psi for all four tires instead of the 33 recommended by the manual and 32 recommmended by you. The original pressure could have been even higher seven moths ago.I wonder why the Nissan dealership did not follow the instuction from its own manual.
    Anyway I reduced the pressure to 33 psi and found that there is significant improvement on rough road surface. I am going to reduce the pressure to 32 to see if there is further improvement. But I cannot do it right away as the tire pressure has increased to 36 psi when the tires are still hot from the drive.
    The Nissan dealerships should pay attention to details in their garage services. Besides the inaccurate tire pressure, they also forgot to tighten the cap of the coolent tank in my car during scheduled maintenance, which would lead to the engine become overheated when the hot coolent evaporates. The 2007 Nissan Sentra is a good quality car, the dealership should prevent mistakes that make people think the car is bad.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    I agree with you.

When buying a car, the dealership should make sure that the car is delivered with the tires inflated to the recommended pressure.

Now, if you are going to travel in hot weather, with a full load and at sustained speeds of 70 mph or higher, by all means increase the tire pressure to at least 36 PSI.

The higher the pressure, the higher load the tire can carry (do not exceed maximum pressure as printed on the tire sidewall).
    32 psi does give a smoother ride.
    Thank you for the additional information.
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    Question about this: if the transmission's gears are replaced by a belt, is Nissan not engineering the transmission to be not as durable by designing something that will eventually break? Like the timing belt in every car except Toyota? I'm a little concerned and confused that they would create a new maintenance issue.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Its not a belt in that sense, as its made of a much stronger material. Not sure what exactly as its not just steel either. some kind of alloy I'd guess. so no, the belt breaking isn't an issue. At least not any sooner than any other transmisson would need rebuilt or replaced. If fact, thats what kept cvt's out of larger cars for so long. the engineers couldn't come up with a belt strong enough to withstand the torque and HP of larger more powerfull vehicles.
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    Excellent, thank you. You know the car makers made a serious mistake replacing the timing chain with a belt, and some, like Toyota, have gone back to the chain. If belt-driven transmissions were in our future, I would give up on automatics altogether!

Thanks for sharing what you know!
This discussion has been closed.