Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln MKS

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    The critics say it looks just like any other Japanese car and doesn't distinguish itself.

What they would prefer is something more like the Continental concept car - something more American.

I happen to think they can have it both ways - build the MKS to compete with the hi-tech Japanese models and build a RWD Continental with a big American V8 to appeal to the traditional American muscle car crowd. Of course the latter requires an all new RWD platform that doesn't yet exist, but I think that's where they need to go long term.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Now that would make a great Continental :surprise:

That also is a SEXY BEAST ;) :D

Rocky

P.S. Thanx for the pics akirby. Also gregg, the Maseratti sedan has always been a SEXY BEAST. ;)
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    I agree with akirby. Give the public both. Then Rocky can have his pudgy looking, but high tech front drive sedan with AWD added on--and with its unfashionably long overhangs (203" on a mere 114" wheelbase...sorry Rocky, couldn't resist), and some of us can have a car like the big wow factor Continental with rear drive, long wheelbase and tidy overhangs.
    Yes, that is the best way to do it. I'll take the 350 hp Twin-Turbo V-6, and you guys can have you 4.0 Duratec V-6 rated at 201hp. with a option of a 5.4 300 hp. 3-legged mule. Sorry gregg, I couldn't resist :P

I'll VIP at the country club, while y'all VIP at the Bingo halls. J/K :P

Rocky
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    rocky, i saw your posts on the s80 forum. yamaha has been making incredible engines for ford, on and off, since 1989. what were you driving back then? i was driving an sho which had a yami with a 7200 redline, 5 speed manual.
    I was driving my bike back then :P I was only a 4th grader, but do remember the SHO's. ;)

Rocky
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    don't 'diss the yami's and i won't 'diss your schwinn. :)
    Of course I wouldn't buy a car with thje engine choices you offer. However, if the Conti has a 4.2 L V8 with 320 hp normally aspirated and 400+ turboed, then they have a customer. Heck, I'd even take the TT V6, as long as they put it in the Conti body's distinctive, modern, standout looks that remind no one of Japanese wannabe. I'd then do a contest any day to see who gets the most attention at the country club (if we have to go to that tired old venue). :P
    Well you will get alot of old men lookin' at your Conti, and I'll take the ladies. :P

Rocky :shades:
    You mean you'll take the girlie men? :P

I also wager a bunch that women are less likely to look at a generic luxury Japanese sedan than one truly stands out. There is nothing on the road that looks like the Conti.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    They took a lot of sales from older women who had been driving Acuras. Don't think they stayed with Lincoln though. Most of the ones I knew, liked their Acura better.

As for the Conti - I drove Continentals from 90 through 96. And I still love the style design, and that limosine roofline. I hate these Domed rooflines like the Passat and 500 have.
    LOL, well I will have to see what this new and "so-called" improved MKS, looks like. Gosh, I can't wait for the pics.

Rocky
    nv, So do you dislike the style direction Lincoln, is taking or is it the MKS. The MKS, as you already probably know is going to get updated with a few more styling cues. I just hope they don't ruin it since its sexy in my eyes. If they can make it cooler, then yeah by all means do it. I just don't want to go from a classy Acura-ish design and end up with a Navigator type grill. :surprise:

Rocky
    Hey! I LOVEd my Navigator grille, and mourn the loss of it in the Lincoln line. That's part of my discontent, but not all of it. Actually, I like the looks of the MKS, but I'm concerned it won't be large enough to carry the gravitas of the Flagship Lincoln. Plus, I'm not crazy about Lincoln slipping into the "near luxury" class of cars which is where Acura is, though Acura is a great car. It's never played with the big boys.

A bunch of little Lincolns is not what will bring me back. I'll go to Cadillac first.
    The MKS is not really little. It is bigger than the Cadillac CTS and STS and almost as big as the DTS. It is the same size as the Buick Lucerne. But it doesn't have a commanding presence because the wheelbase is too short for the length (203"). They could have tidied up the overhangs, but then the car would have been shorter.

What's with Ford and its preoccupation with short wheelbases? Even the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis is only 114"...same as the LS, wich was a much tidier design (10" shorter than the MKS).
    What's with Ford and its preoccupation with short wheelbases? Even the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis is only 114"...same as the LS, wich was a much tidier design (10" shorter than the MKS).

Nothing turns around in your street like a Ford...... :blush:
    Well I can understand your concerns nv, but the Continental that will be here by the end of the decade should be plenty large enough for the most discriminating buyer. The Conti in the pics posted here sort of reminds me of a Maybach. :surprise:

I think the MKS, could be a big hit for Ford IMHO.

Rocky
    Yeah I agree. The car however will be plenty roomy for most customers. ;) Ford, needs to expand it's platforms in it's large-car segment. ;)

Rocky
    Nothing turns around in your street like a Ford

Yeah they turn like a go-kart. :P

Rocky
    Well one, I doubt that Continental will EVER be built, not by Ford, if there even is a Ford by the end of the decade - or next year. But a large, roomy sedan is a must for your showroom, and the Town Car is out of date, and no longer viable other than as a rental. Also, if the Continental did make it into production, IT would be an MKC or something.... what a pathetic way to try to emulate Cadillac.

The MKS appears to be on the way to existence and I'll give it a good look. If it's comfortable like the S-80 and driving characteristics are similar, it has a real back seat and large doors, easy ingress and egress, and the interior is very nice as well as functional, I'd be very interested.