Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln MKS

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,675
    Until you can go 300 miles on a single charge (city and highway) and refill at a service station in 10 minutes or less the gasoline ICE isn't going anywhere. Now if they can work it out so vehicles can easily be charged at home overnight outside of peak demands and service stations could somehow store electricity overnight the same way then that would be a step forward.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    Congratulations, tlmacson! When you get it, we look forward to your thoughts and observations.

I hope you get it this week but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Once mine was loaded on a railcar in Chicago, it was about 9 days until it arrived at the dealership. The train made stops all over the Midwest on it's way to Minneapolis. Then it sat in a rail yard for a couple of days before it was trucked to my dealer. Hopefully, shipping to your location will be quicker. In any case, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
  • Today CR released their ratings. In their report, they listed the MKS AWD as below average reliability. I've been trying to find any post indicative of a problem with the MKS AWD, but haven't found anything.
    Anyone on here having problems with their MKS AWD? I'm particularly interested as the new Taurus SHO will have a similar powertrain/driveline.
    Thanks!
  • datagendatagen Posts: 107
    I have not seen anything as well. Not sure where that area was on their tests. What really surprised me was the MKS FWD version was in the lease reliable category. So far I have not had a problem in that area. I guess like most who live in a serious four season states, I got the AWD to handle the roads better. Since I am no test driver and since the system is mostly in FWD mode until it believes it is needed, it will be hard for me to tell the problem not unless the system tells me there is a one. So far this has not happen.

I do suspect the size of the vehicle may be its achilles-heel and there may be a price for the nice space and additional weight it provides. If you will note, the Jaguar XF, BMW535i Cadillac STS (V6), Cadillac (V6 RWD) and the Lexus GS(AWD) were in the lease reliable category as well.

That is the problem with numbers, it all how you look at it. If the Phillies won the final game in the World Series by a score of 6-5, would that mean that the Yankees were not a good team? Many of these vehicles are great cars. They have many things that most people want and the improvements just over the last 10 years is phenomenal. Only with the advancements of computers and robotics can a carmaker dare to design a new vehicle, put it in production with last minute changes and still produce quality that the consumers will buy in 3 years or less.

Now on the other side of the coin, I was surprise again of the test results of the MKZ. Many other car critics dogged the MKZ. I could not understand why cause I have been very impressed with it (especially when I get a ticket). I guess I feel vindicated with the report that the Lincoln MkZ, a luxury version of the Ford Fusion, ranked second in dependability in this category, just outranking the Acura TL and Lexus LS. So again it may have beat the TL and the Lexus by one digit, but does that mean they are not good cars? I guess when you look at it, it is just a snapshot of performed reliability test. I am sure if they did it again, they would get different results. Would that stop me from buying the vehicle? No, because I look at them as all reliable, just some more reliable than others just like some are more powerful, luxurious, and spacious. Oh, and don’t forget the most important result, your own tastes. :shades:
    There were reports of fluid leakage from the power take-off unit on some 2009 AWD MKSs. I think it turned out to be a bad batch of seals if I recall correctly.

As for other reliability issues with the MKS, some early builds had an issue with rear door locks. The fix involved a different length cable. Also, there were reports of rattles in the rear shelf area that are fixed with better fasteners for the subwoofer and additional felt around the shelf area. There have also been brake noise issues reported on some 2009 models.

I believe all of these things have been addressed in the 2010 models. You can be confident in the driveline of your SHO.
  • can anyone explain to me, how the security approach lamps on the side mirrors work?

Are they like the BLIS on the 2010 Ford Taurus SHO?
    Pretty sure they only come on when you use the keyfob to unlock the doors or otherwise activate the interior lights.
  • what's that got to do security approach lamp?

This is part of the description on the 2010 Lincoln MKS.

Do you own one?
    Akirby is correct. The lights under the mirrors come on when you unlock the doors. There are no blind spot lights or beeps to annoy you when cars are beside you. The little mirror within the mirror is not a light. It just provides a wider view angle and is somewhat helpful when merging onto a freeway. The MKS does not have BLIS like the SHO.
    what's that got to do security approach lamp?

They are exactly as I described. They're also called puddle lamps. They're just tied into the interior lighting.

I don't own one, but Bruce does, so if you don't believe me you can certainly believe him.
  • Thanks Bruce and AKirby, wasn't that I didn't believe you A, I was just wondering why they are described on the lincoln web site as, security approach lamps.

I know the MKS does not have the BLIS, don't know why, but I was just wondering about the decription and what it meant. I wonder if they will put it on the 2011's. When will the 2011 come out? anyone know?

Gonna go drive one next week and try and decide between it and the SHO.

Thanks.
  • anyone know?

Thanks,
  • Anyone know what these rebates mean and how you quailfy for them?
    And do you quailfy for all of them when purchasing a new MKS?

1. Rebate cash

2. Bonus cash

3. Max rebate cash.

Thanks.
    I can't help you much with your questions but I will throw out some guesses.

BLIS requires some pretty significant changes so it was not part of the 2010 MKS revisions. The other Ford products that got BLIS had more major changes and it could be implemented more easily than in the MKS. I would imagine that BLIS will find its way on to the MKS. I have heard 2011 model year but I don't know for sure.

I have not heard that the 2011s will be released any earlier than the normal September-October timeframe so I would presume you could order a 2010 up until June or so. I can't imagine much in the way of changes for 2011. There were rumors of a facelift but I have not heard anything concrete. I would be more inclined to think 2012 would be more likely for anything major - if then.

As for rebates, you should check Lincolnvehicles.com. I have not really paid much attention to incentives since I bought mine. Incentives may vary by zip code. I think you can get a $1000 rebate plus 0% financing for 36 months. That is what I got when I took delivery of mine back in late September. There may be other (and better) incentives now. The purchase price you work out with the dealer will be a key factor and then any rebates are on top of that.

You are getting the ecoboost engine, correct?
    You can order a new MKS at any time. If you're asking specifically about a 2010 vs. a 2011 I don't think they've announced the job 1 dates for the 2011 yet or when they would go on sale.

The "security approach" verbiage just means the puddle lamps illuminate as you approach the car so you can see if anyone is near the car. It's "marketing speak".

As for rebates, "bonus cash" is just a marketing term. It's usually combined with other offers like low apr financing. Basically you get

Regular rebates
    OR
    Special financing
    OR
    Special financing and a rebate

Sometimes you can get an extra rebate for financing with Ford in addition to other rebates. Go to the Lincoln/MKS website and it should tell you the current incentives for your zip code. The terms of the rebate will tell you if it can be combined with others.

You can also get special additional rebates for college graduates, military, etc.
  • This is the most all-around fun to drive vehicle that I have ever owned. I've had luxury sedans, Corvettes, pick-up, minivans, mid-size sedans, imports (Toyota and Honda), compacts and SUV's. I still get a bigger grin on my face when I drive this car over anything else I've had. It's not perfect - it was delivered with 2 glitches - a minor paint nick near the rear license plate area and a very frustrating problem with the iPod interface. I need to get those resolved soon, but I've been having too much fun with the MKS to take it in.

My pet peeves are as follows:
    1) No underhood light
    2) Front passenger and rear passenger power window switches are nonilluminated
    3) No provision for nickle - dime - quarter storage
    4) The glovebox is nicely sized but the remaining interior storage is laughable
    5) The undersized trunk opening diminishes the utility of the trunk's size
    6) My iPod stays on after I turn off the car, but it's battery is not charging.

Of these six the unforgivable - especially since Lincoln considers itself a domestic luxury line - is #2. My 300C had illuminated switchgear at all door positions. Also, I've stopped using my iPod Touch in the car because I know it won't be working properly the next time I start the car - not until it's had time to recharge for a few minutes and then resync itself to the radio. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

But oh my, how those twin turbos can get my adrenaline pumping!!
    Why are you leaving the iPod on all the time? The usb port is not powered when the car is off. It would be the same as leaving your iPod on and connected to your computer while the computer is turned off. Unless I misunderstood your problem. You should either unplug it or turn it off.
    I agree with your overall positive assessment.

The passenger side window/door lock switches are definately illuminated on mine. I don't know about the rear but I will check tonight - I thought they were but could be wrong.

I don't use an iPod. I just use a flash drive and it works great. Is the iPod Touch one of the units that are listed on the sync website as tested? The syncmyride website and the sync section of Blue Oval News are both good places for information and tips. I know sync is available on about all Fords but it is one of my favorite features. It has exceeded my expectations. So has the Nav system...and the engine....and the build quality....but especially the engine!
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    I have an aftermarket Sony stereo in my car with USB and it shuts the IPOD down when I shut the car off.
    I misspoke when I said that the passenger window/door lock switches on my MKS are illuminated. The passenger lock/unlock switch is illuminated but the window switch is not. The rear window switches are not either. I had never noticed that. Seeing both the driver and passenger power lock switches illuminated led me to assume the window switches were too.

As for interior storage, the MKS works fine for me. I am not sure where you would add more - maybe in the console in that empty spot where it says LINCOLN. There is storage in the console and rear armrest, pockets behind the seats, and good sized front door pockets. Of course, I came from an LS and it was quite limited in storage space so I am pretty easy to please when it comes to interior storage space. I really never carry anything, anyway. The jukebox and/or the USB port eliminate the need for CDs. What do people carry in the passenger compartment - except passengers? I agree coin storage would be useful.

Glad you are enjoying your car.
  • My '96 Contour had illuminated lock switches...there were little green lamps in each door. I think the light was supposed to also shine on the window switches, but I can't remember now.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Lighted switches on door panels is nothing at all new. My '93 Isuzu Trooper had them all around. VW Golfs and Rabbits and all the way up have had lighted switches on all doors/models since the 1990s. The Contour actually had lighted inside door handles. That Lincoln would cut this corner is odd at best.
  • After having one of the new Chrysler Town & Country minivans I guess I'm somewhat jaded when it comes to interior storage - i suppose I'm being less than realistic on that one. Regarding my iPod Touch. Either the minivan charged it while the engine was off (very possible because it connected thru the glovebox via a special cable which was part of the upgraded audio system) or the cable somehow turned the iPod off while the car was off and then turned it back on on the next startup. I'm better on the former - not the latter.
    It could have been hot while the ignition was off, but I doubt it as that might cause the battery to drain if not started for several days. If that was an iPod specific connection it's possible the iPod knew to shut down. With sync it's just a generic USB connection.
    OK, regarding the window switches: All of the window switches, front and rear are definately illuminated. The reason I was confused about it earlier is because the passenger and rear window switches are not illuminated if you have the window lock on - preventing passengers from using the power windows. Flip the window-lockout button and all of your switches at every door will be illuminated. Also, the power sun-shade and moonroof controls are also lit up nicely.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I'm very glad to hear that - because the other scenerio was just absurd! Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Thanks brucelinc! I did have window lockout engaged. Disengaged and all switches illuminated. On some days even old dogs can learn new tricks!
    When this came up last week, I was positive they were all illuminated. To confirm, I went out to the garage and flipped on the lights and much to my shock, the passenger and rear switches were dark! I was dam* near ready to give my MKS away when I checked the wife's Taurus and found that they lit up like a Christmas tree!

The next day, it dawned on me that I had a 3 year old nephew in the back seat a few days ago and I locked the power windows so he wouldn't play with them. He also played with the heated rear seats but that is another story.....Anyway, as soon as I unlocked the window controls, the switches became illuminated as they should.

By the way, with the ambient lighting, you can have a very inviting "glow" in the interior. There are numerous colors available but I find the red to be comfortable and not at all distracting.
  • Just got a 2010 MKS and I am trying to pair my phone.

Anyone of you have the Treo 650 and had any luck paring it?